Best Science FACT movie of all time??

Well, this might be interesting, since I think its a pretty small genre compared to Science Fiction.

When I say Science Fact I mean films that stick pretty much to reality. A little bit of dramatisation is permitted.

And I don't want people going on that films about the real moon landings are really science fiction cause we allegedly never went there and all that crap.

For me, its a toss up between The Right Stuff and Apollo 13. They are both pretty good.

Taksraven

Yeah great, thanks for that.

Taksraven

You don`t consider that science fact? It`s a lot closer to science fact than a lot of movies, ie its set in present day (`80s)reality. I`m thinking of starting my own Weird Science thread. Maybe one for the movie and one for the TV series?

besides I`m drawing a blank on hardcore science fact movies. I think you mentioned the only two I can think of. The Right Stuff was awesome. I loved that movie when I was a kid.

Edited by MilSpex

You don`t consider that science fact? It`s a lot closer to science fact than a lot of movies, ie its set in present day reality. iiI`m thinking of starting my own Weird Science thread. Maybe one for the movie and one for the TV series?

That's a great idea, go for it.

Taksraven

Loved that show. Wish I could get it on DVD. Science fact? Near enough.

Taksraven

Me too, it was so creepy when I was a kid. Loved it.

Theres tons of it up on YouTube but yeah DVD would be nice.

Von Daniken's books "Chariots" and Gods from Outer Space were great reads and the Documentary was good. My favorite chapter in Chariots was Daniken's theory that what if future earthlings traveled back in time to ancient earth to pass down future technology.

Seriously, the fact that I had to wiki all true-to-life movies that have a science-based plotline just to have an idea what to vote for, shows that there really isn't that much to choose from... :mellow:

edit: and even after wiki, i still haven't found one.

Edited by dreamweaver13

Could any of the following movies be considered science fact (said with tongue firmly in cheek)?

1) Stealth.

2) Independance day.

3) The Final Countdown.

4)The Andromeda Strain.

Honestly, I don't think this thread can realistically go very far, given the dearth of science fact movies that are not actual documentaries.

Graham

Could any of the following movies be considered science fact (said with tongue firmly in cheek)?

1) Stealth.

2) Independance day.

3) The Final Countdown.

4)The Andromeda Strain.

Honestly, I don't think this thread can realistically go very far, given the dearth of science fact movies that are not actual documentaries.

Graham

let's face it, science doesn't make for good movie-making unless it's fictional science. :p

The Great Global Warming Swindle was a good one.

I don't know, the problem with that, and An Inconvenient Truth is that they are highly skewed to a certain perspective, selectively choosing facts that fit their viewpoint.

Vostook, snow in may is not unusual with this phenomenon. It's not really "warming" per se, but a shifting of existing weather patterns due to changes in the composition of the Earth's atmosphere. Whether or not you think it is man-made, that is what's going on right now. You may be getting snow in May, but Florida is experiencing a severe drought, seeing about as much rain in the last 6 months as they used to in a single month. (Man, hanging out with climatologists really rubs off on you...)

1) Stealth.

2) Independance day.

3) The Final Countdown.

4)The Andromeda Strain.

Graham

The Andromeda Strain was an HBO-produced mini-series that aired my mid-2008 based on the same-name book by Michael Crichton, right?

Loved the book, considering it's 50-years old (written in 1968 or 1969 IIRC) and full of old-tech techno-babble, but well grounded bibliography, as was usual in Crichton's books.

Would love to watch the mini-series

The Quiet Earth is the only obe that comes easily to mind. It doesn't really explain the science behind it tho - you would have to look it up afterwards if you're not familiar with quantum physics etc.

It's a little bit like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (the game) which was based on a movie of the same name.

[...]

It's a little bit like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (the game) which was based on a movie of the same name.

Wasn't it from a novel instead, written by the Strougatski brothers?

Wasn't it from a novel instead, written by the Strougatski brothers?

Yes, the book was 'The Roadside Picnic'. which the movie was also based on.

From Wikipedia:

The background and some terminology of the game ("The Zone", "Stalker") is borrowed from the popular science fiction novella Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky and the 1979 Andrei Tarkovsky film Stalker that was loosely based on it, as well as Stalker, the film's subsequent novelization by the original authors.

1) Stealth.

2) Independance day.

3) The Final Countdown.

4)The Andromeda Strain.

Graham

Stealth is first and foremost, a comedy.