Yamato 1/60 Non-Canon Color VF-1's

CF18

If this is supposed to be the new "low-vis" for the 1/60 line, I'll definitely pass. I'd like to see the original 1/48 low vis done in 1/60 scale. I just don't find anything to say "Wow" over on the dark grey 1S. I'm just picking and choosing right now, as I can wait for a bit on these. They are just being released too damn fast.

despite all the pissing and moaning, I like it.

honestly I'm tired of seeing black white and yellow for the millionth time and I just like the yellow on grey better than the yellow on white. I'd only be getting this if I have enough cash after the VE-1 but I'm more tempted by this than any other valk right now (excluding VE-1).

It would also be grate if they came out with a Grey FAST pack set to go with it. If I could afford it I'd actually like to get the whole skull squad in Grey.

So why can't Yamato give us a VF-1 in "Dark Bird" colors, like the one seen briefly in the orig series? That can be considered "canon" can't it?
Who said they can't? I would not be surprised at all if Yamato released that version eventually. Hell the VF-1J cannon fodder is being released, and it seems like Yamato intends to release every VF-1 seen from the TV series. Would not be surprised if we saw the Alaska base versions either.

I for one think it's about time Roy's VF-1 was molded in dark grey. To me, it looks better that way. Accentuates the fact that he is a gritty, somewhat vulgar squadron leader compared to Hikaru's traditional "hero color" VF-1J.

I know people are complaining over how the bright yellow stripes contradict the LV idea, but

come on, it's just a bad name. Probably Graham may suggest a better one to Yamato.

I am getting it for sure.

It's not entirely creative, but it looks good to me.

P.S. I believe weathering spray-work like the 1/48 LV1 would cost us a lot more. Think that is a special, extra procedure to do the weathering work.

Looks nice BUT what's up with that Fan Racer! I've never seen that before! Looks like 30 bucks, a search on Ebay only pops up one fan racer model kit for $75. :(

I'd like a nice diecast one!

EDIT: Man I need to check this section more, I see a thread for this subject! Oh well...

Edited by karmajay

Grey plastic yellows just as badly as white plastic. See LEGO and SNES grey.

I'm a Lego builder for years, no yellowing on any grays.

If you play Lego with washed hands (Not right after a burger or a tennis marathon) they won't go yellow. :p

Hence why when at Lego shows, the older collectors have models from the 80s still looking brand new. But Lego played by kids, well yeah, you can spot the yellow beneath the light on most colours.

Even the white Lego of the late eighties if played with washed hands, is still white.

If you play Lego with washed hands (Not right after a burger or a tennis marathon) they won't go yellow. :p

Hence why when at Lego shows, the older collectors have models from the 80s still looking brand new. But Lego played by kids, well yeah, you can spot the yellow beneath the light on most colours.

Even the white Lego of the late eighties if played with washed hands, is still white.

Yeah. I mean, a lot of my whites have gone yellow, but everything else is unscathed. The grey looks yellowed compared to the new bley (Bluish grey; also, Blech) bricks.

It doesn't really have much to do with hand-washing. My collection dates back to 1978, and I have very few yellowed pieces. I certainly wasn't careful about hand-washing as a kid. :lol:

The bricks aren't dirty, they have actually changed color because of a chemical reaction in the ABS.

It's most likely UV exposure, as discussed in this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=30675

My collection was stored in our basement rec room when I was a kid. I didn't play with my lego stuff outside for fear of lost pieces.

Today, it's stored in my own basement rec room I am careful not to allow it to get direct sunlight. MOCs that travel to displays or conventions always go in a box or a plastic storage bin with a lid.

Because of all this, I also don't keep any of my toys or collectibles near windows that receive direct sunlight.

It doesn't really have much to do with hand-washing. My collection dates back to 1978, and I have very few yellowed pieces. I certainly wasn't careful about hand-washing as a kid. :lol:

The bricks aren't dirty, they have actually changed color because of a chemical reaction in the ABS.

It's most likely UV exposure, as discussed in this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=30675

My collection was stored in our basement rec room when I was a kid. I didn't play with my lego stuff outside for fear of lost pieces.

Today, it's stored in my own basement rec room I am careful not to allow it to get direct sunlight. MOCs that travel to displays or conventions always go in a box or a plastic storage bin with a lid.

Because of all this, I also don't keep any of my toys or collectibles near windows that receive direct sunlight.

Same here. I keep my toys away from direct sunlight.

Hence, I love my yellow brick castle from the early 80s. One doesn't have to worry about that turning yellow, since it's already yellow. :lol:

I also love my early 80s space exploration series.

BTW, is there any sites where one can view those early series? As a kid, I don't have the luxury of getting the full series. So it's good to know what I had missed out back then. ^_^

Edited by blacklotus

I remember a few scenes in SDFM when Hikaru's pilotting Roy's 1S with the fastpacks and the Valk looked grey. When he re-entered Earth's atmosphere, it was white again.

also in dyrl roy looks grey at least in space

When Both of these projects were made both DYRL & SDFM, the whole crew was referred to as sticklers for detail!! So when they did the Space scenes they tried to keep the colors darker vs. Atmospheric scenes with brighter colors.

Trying to reference colors from a 80's Animes series can be tricky. As theres lots of scenes where Roy's VF-1S has Black & Yellow tail fins one second, next they are B&W. Max has green hair one second & then blue again, etc.

As for the color schemes "reddsun1" posted, I'd buy Valkyries from Yamato if they came like that!!! B))

Same here. I keep my toys away from direct sunlight.

Hence, I love my yellow brick castle from the early 80s. One doesn't have to worry about that turning yellow, since it's already yellow. :lol:

I also love my early 80s space exploration series.

BTW, is there any sites where one can view those early series? As a kid, I don't have the luxury of getting the full series. So it's good to know what I had missed out back then. ^_^

There are several, but I like the Fibblesnork Lego Guide for its layout and timelines.

I'll go back to a really old post--in the UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME thread--for these examples...

VF-142.jpg

VF-33.jpg

VF-2.jpg

SVF-124.jpg

SVF-41.jpg

SVF-32.jpg

SVF-111.jpg

SVF-145.jpg

C'mon Yamato. Give us a 1/60 in one of THESE schemes.

Every single one of these schemes is infinitely better than what Yamato has come up with thus far for the YF-19. I don't see why it's so hard for Yamato to apply real world marking principles to their jets and come up with some slick designs. If they released a 1D or a -19 in anything close to as cool as the examples you provided, they would be a must buy.

Every single one of these schemes is infinitely better than what Yamato has come up with thus far for the YF-19. I don't see why it's so hard for Yamato to apply real world marking principles to their jets and come up with some slick designs. If they released a 1D or a -19 in anything close to as cool as the examples you provided, they would be a must buy.

because such schemes are more complicated and would cost more to develop and produce? and in the grand scheme of things would most likely not sell better to the point that it would justify the added cost? and do they have to make some sort of licensing deal in order to use the markings form a real squadron.

It may be more effort than it's worth to get permission to use real squadron markings. and it may be more effort than it's worth to design a new scheme from scratch.

because such schemes are more complicated and would cost more to develop and produce? and in the grand scheme of things would most likely not sell better to the point that it would justify the added cost? and do they have to make some sort of licensing deal in order to use the markings form a real squadron.

It may be more effort than it's worth to get permission to use real squadron markings. and it may be more effort than it's worth to design a new scheme from scratch.

True, True, True. :D

For that much detailing, the tampa graph printing and paint-tips would have to be more expensive than usual.

Also, since it is a Macross Item, I do believe they would have to get permission from the License holders? (Could be wrong on this one) Which means that the design is not solely up to Yamato. ;)

Though with that said, a Focker colour scheme YF-19 IMO would have sold better. Or a YF-19 in the colours of CF VF-01. Why not a YF-19 alla Milia or Max. :p Or just a Low-Vis 19! :)

True, True, True. :D

For that much detailing, the tampa graph printing and paint-tips would have to be more expensive than usual.

Also, since it is a Macross Item, I do believe they would have to get permission from the License holders? (Could be wrong on this one) Which means that the design is not solely up to Yamato. ;)

Though with that said, a Focker colour scheme YF-19 IMO would have sold better. Or a YF-19 in the colours of CF VF-01. Why not a YF-19 alla Milia or Max. :p Or just a Low-Vis 19! :)

I have a strong feeling that the Double Nut looks like a Max DYRL Custom.

I know it's not, but the paint style is the same...

Thankfully it's an easy pass for me too, i'll hold out for a VF-1S TV Hikaru and Misa pilots, plus TV Fokker pilot added.

With the DYRL re-release in June, and this repaint, I don't think a TV 1S will be anytime soon... :(

Edited by Omegablue

I wish to talk about the clear Super Parts, so I think it goes under the non-canon color thread?

It would be released in July, 1500 yen.

Too expensive for several clear plastic covers... Depends on the actual price, I'll see if I get one for... say, peace of mind.

PH1243475070.jpg

I wish to talk about the clear Super Parts, so I think it goes under the non-canon color thread?

It would be released in July, 1500 yen.

Too expensive for several clear plastic covers... Depends on the actual price, I'll see if I get one for... say, peace of mind.

Little pricey, but still kind of cool. But I'd need to buy a special browny and an extra set of fast packs just to stick the covers on, now that's way to much to spend.

But back to the gray VF-1S, has their been any word on if/when it will be coming out? I hope all the whining hasn't convinced yamato not to go through with making this...

But back to the gray VF-1S, has their been any word on if/when it will be coming out? I hope all the whining hasn't convinced yamato not to go through with making this...

Well, they're releasing those two YF-19 repaints which had more people against them.

I think this Gray Focker has been positively received by most? I'm even thinking of buying more than one. :p

Graham, can you tell us if there are any more non canon repaints of any VF that you know of coming out before the end of the year? I need to save up some money for other things but I still want to budget for my Macross VFs

• 3 weeks later...