Macross Plus: The Movie

While the Lucy fanservice scene might have been a touch extraneous, the additional scenes of her added some dimension to her character. It made her go from being a throwaway blonde bimbo, to a somewhat interesting character that we only get a brief exposure to her thoughts and feelings.

It also explained her apparently-not-random-after-all posessiveness, and why Isamu never got the message on teh answering machine.

Damn straight!!! B))

Whoa! Wait a minute. I thought Macross was a stuck-in-the-1980s fandom. When did this board jump to pining away for a 1990's golden age? ;):lol:

To be honest, its not just the Macross mid-90's I miss, its the alternative music scene too. All gone now. They don't even play the stuff on the radio. :( :( :(

Taksraven

QUOTE (Graham @ May 14 2009, 06:42 PM) *

You are so mid-90s!

Graham

But the mid-90's were a great place to be!! wink.gif wink.gif

Taksraven

I spent the mid-90s missing the mid-80s.

The '80s taught us to love Valkyries...the '90s taught us to love Valkyries with guitar sticks!

BOMBAA!!

Truly the one redeeming feature of the mid-90s.

Sadly- I did not learn of the existance of Macross 7 and Fire Bomber until a couple years ago...

As for the Macross + the movie...

I prefer the series. Didn't like what they cut out. I kept thinking "hey what about that other scene?"

Even if a scene is "unnecessary filler" - I still like it. I like drawn out stuff more than compact stuff.

Either that or just make it all new like DYRL.

Pete

I prefer the series. Didn't like what they cut out. I kept thinking "hey what about that other scene?"

Even if a scene is "unnecessary filler" - I still like it. I like drawn out stuff more than compact stuff.

Pete

I prefer the series too. but i love the guld death scene from the movie. add that scene into the series and it would have been perfect. :)

Had the OVA been a totally reworked script, I'd like it more. It wouldn't have gaping holes you can drive a zentradi flagship through, it wouldn't have serious pacing issues, and it wouldn't have me banging my head against the wall.

Instead of actually taking advantage of the opportunity to show a different side of things, they kink the plot, break logic with the ammo-hack, slash out Guld's final battle(likely to ensure the movie still had it's big climactic moment, what with the OVA serving as a giant pile of spoiler before it ever hit theaters), and toss in some new scenes to stretch things out and provide episode breaks(some good scenes, some bad scenes, bust mostly just filler).

Granted, the OVA requirement may've come too late for them to actually DO it as a separate-but-equal story. Or marketing just wanted them to include movie footage so the OVA worked as a preview of coming attractions. If they were required to recycle movie footage for whatever reason, that limited what they could do right off the bat.

I can easily see WHY it happened, but it's disappointing.

I've honestly never cared for the OVA. Even before I knew about the movie, it felt disjointed.

Once I saw the movie, I wondered why the OVA was how it was. Read about it's history, and everything made sense.

But yeah, the "DYRL Plus" approach appeals to me too.

I've honestly never cared for the OVA. Even before I knew about the movie, it felt disjointed.

Once I saw the movie, I wondered why the OVA was how it was. Read about it's history, and everything made sense.

I'd have to agree here. I saw the OAV version first and I was frankly underwhelmed at the time. I too felt that the pacing of the story was rather poor and certain plot points were disjointed. That all changed when I saw the movie edtion. The story was tighter, the pacing much better, and everything made more sense. When I read about the history, I understood why the movie worked better (for me).

However, I do think it might be better to watch the OAVs before watching the movie version.

Edited by Vifam7

I'd have to agree here. I saw the OAV version first and I was frankly underwhelmed at the time. I too felt that the pacing of the story was rather poor and certain plot points were disjointed. That all changed when I saw the movie edtion. The story was tighter, the pacing much better, and everything made more sense. When I read about the history, I understood why the movie worked better (for me).

However, I do think it might be better to watch the OAVs before watching the movie version.

I guess an M+ TV series with 13 or 26 episodes of re-telling the story properly will be necessary. This is in reference to those who likes the Lucy fan-service scenes, me who finds the action sequences in the movie edition lacking, and for everyone with finds the story in both the OVA and Movie disjointed and in general, goes huh? What's that rape sequence all about? What's the bloody backstory history between the 3 of them, and maybe expand Lucy's story/role as well.

p.s. ok, I admit I like the Lucy fan-service sequence, especially since she's voiced by Ranma-chan (Megumi Hayashibara). But the movie is already short of good storytelling time for the 3 main characters. Adding Lucy into the mix didn't make it better. <_<

In general, M+ spoils my Macross experience much more than M7.

Anyway, length of a series isn't necessary to tell a good story. Mzero did a good job, imo. I know all the characters background well enough from just the 5 episodes of the OVA.

Edited by blacklotus

I guess an M+ TV series with 13 or 26 episodes of re-telling the story properly will be necessary. This is in reference to those who likes the Lucy fan-service scenes, me who finds the action sequences in the movie edition lacking, and for everyone with finds the story in both the OVA and Movie disjointed and in general, goes huh? What's that rape sequence all about? What's the bloody backstory history between the 3 of them, and maybe expand Lucy's story/role as well.

p.s. ok, I admit I like the Lucy fan-service sequence, especially since she's voiced by Ranma-chan (Megumi Hayashibara). But the movie is already short of good storytelling time for the 3 main characters. Adding Lucy into the mix didn't make it better. <_<

In general, M+ spoils my Macross experience much more than M7.

Anyway, length of a series isn't necessary to tell a good story. Mzero did a good job, imo. I know all the characters background well enough from just the 5 episodes of the OVA.

Lucy in the movie i found clearer than Lucy in the OVA. You can clearly see that something is starting between her and Isamu, gets to a certain point and is stalled by the events and revelations that happen in the film. In the series its a bit more vague, as u never seethem go on more than 1 date, and thus the way she seems so hurt by Isamus seems a bit over the top.

i assume by the rape sequence u mean Gulds flashbacks. basically, the 3 of them grew up as friends, and both the guys developed feelings for her, feelings that she returned to Isamu and not Guld. Guld walks in ont eh 2 of them getting close, and flies into a rage smacking down Isamu and then assaulting Myune before coming to his senses and backing away, which give him the last image of Isamu standing over Myune in the smashed up room. Unable to cope, his mind blocks it all out. Myune and Isamu presumably agree never to speak of it to Guld (When they are at the lookout and Guld and Isamu are about to fight, Myune steps in and looks at Isamu with this pleading look, which I had always thought was her trying to say "Let it go, we don't want him to remember"), but then when Guld sees Isamu again he starts getting flashes of the aftermath of the attack, and thinks that Isamu is the one who attacked her.

Hope that helps :)

Lucy in the movie i found clearer than Lucy in the OVA. You can clearly see that something is starting between her and Isamu, gets to a certain point and is stalled by the events and revelations that happen in the film. In the series its a bit more vague, as u never seethem go on more than 1 date, and thus the way she seems so hurt by Isamus seems a bit over the top.

i assume by the rape sequence u mean Gulds flashbacks. basically, the 3 of them grew up as friends, and both the guys developed feelings for her, feelings that she returned to Isamu and not Guld. Guld walks in ont eh 2 of them getting close, and flies into a rage smacking down Isamu and then assaulting Myune before coming to his senses and backing away, which give him the last image of Isamu standing over Myune in the smashed up room. Unable to cope, his mind blocks it all out. Myune and Isamu presumably agree never to speak of it to Guld (When they are at the lookout and Guld and Isamu are about to fight, Myune steps in and looks at Isamu with this pleading look, which I had always thought was her trying to say "Let it go, we don't want him to remember"), but then when Guld sees Isamu again he starts getting flashes of the aftermath of the attack, and thinks that Isamu is the one who attacked her.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks. It helps alot, especially the part at the lookout. I never understand that. Like I said, M+ (movie and OVA both) are a big mess when it comes to storytelling. I didn't need help in Macross, M7 or M0 to help me understand the all the characters' motivations, hurts, feelings, etc. Heck, even EVA TV is clearer to me than M+.

M+ feels more like a very good CGI animation demo rather than a good movie/OVA, imo. (I believe M+ is the 1st Macross or anime project to heavily make use of EXPENSIVE CGI effects. I still remember those heavily advertised CGI shots in magazines.)

Anyway, MF and M0 more than made up for the M+ mess. ^_^

Ive always loved the OAV, but often skipped part 3, coz it is a very SLOW 30 minutes.

Im going to track down a copy of the movie, i love it!

Yes, as I noted before, part 3 was the weakest chapter and really only picked up in the final quarter of the episode.

Taksraven

Yes, as I noted before, part 3 was the weakest chapter and really only picked up in the final quarter of the episode.

Taksraven

Hmmm...I really liked episode 3, but then I also liked the "walk through the jungle" sequence in Macross Zero episode 4. I almost always enjoy it when a series I like takes a little bit of extra time to sit down, breathe, and relax for a little while.

I almost always enjoy it when a series I like takes a little bit of extra time to sit down, breathe, and relax for a little while.

I admit it can be nice, but not when you are building up to the climax of the series.

Taksraven

One of the older Japanese DVD's has a new English dub for vol.4, and in it David Hayter provides Isamu's voice. Mind you, he doesn't make Isamu sound like Snake. :p I thought that dub was pretty weak, the voice acting lacked energy and the lip-synching was totally off in some scenes. It's only saving grace was that it was a little more faithful to the sub, but that might explain why the lip-synching was off.

Yeah, it seems this version is still very much unknown on these boards. In fact, I think last time I mentioned this dub you were the only one who actually knew what I was talking about! :lol:

Yeah, it's a pretty bad dub, but a must for completists. Actually, since those are the only DVD copies I own, I actually had to go to Macrosshare to get the version of episode 4 with the "real" dub on it, for nostalgia's sake. And then I experienced the Spanish dub... suddenly the R2 English dub doesn't seem so bad!! :rolleyes: Oh dearie me....

Anyway, as for series vs. movie... Well, it depends on what mood I'm in, to be honest. I must say I agree that the series has pacing problems overall, but the first episode is just PERFECT. It is the most gripping first episode of any show I remember watching, I thought it was amazing when I saw it back in 94 or 95, and each subsequent release has a fond memory concerning when and where I purchased it attached to it.

In fact, I was living in the UK, but I got Episode 4 sent from the US by my uncle just because I couldn't stand the wait any longer, I have no idea what the hell Manga UK were playing at with that interminable delay. AnimeUK magazine had announced the Mac+ and Mac7 movies and I was wondering when I would ever get to see them.

I've got lots of stories to share concerning my experiences with Plus, actually, but I don't have much time now, so perhaps in a later post. ^_^

Region 4. I didn't know there had been a western release of the movie with a sub and dub! That's awesome!

I sort of missed the opening, but I liked the pacing of the film so much it wasn't that big a deal in the end. My favourite addition was isamu skydiving in battroid down and then shifting to gerwalk right near the ground. That was beautiful!

That's the only pet peeve I have with the movie. If they had included that scene Macross Plus: The Movie would be totall awesome.

On an unrelated note.....It was quite a shock to be reading a thread of M+ in MW when the "Dogfight" music was being played by my mp3 player. :blink:^_^:lol:

There's always Macrosshare if you REALLY want to see the HD remaster, you know...

I never got the hang of using it. No love for torrent?

The '80s taught us to love Valkyries...the '90s taught us to love Valkyries with guitar sticks!

BOMBAA!!

Well since I was born in the '80s I learned to love Valkyries in the '90s but they were the variety that was controlled with conventional flight controls. B)) Never got sold on the whole guitar and keyboard flight controls. :mellow::huh::p

Watching it again, I just noticed:

Concert on earth (nighttime)

Guld & Isamu arrive in Macros City fighting (daytime)

Ghost attacks (dusk)

Battle between Guld / Ghost & Isamu / Sharron (nighttime)

Isamu lands and talks with Myung (sunrise)

Damn. They been flying those planes for a while! :p

Watching it again, I just noticed:

Concert on earth (nighttime)

Guld & Isamu arrive in Macros City fighting (daytime)

Ghost attacks (dusk)

Battle between Guld / Ghost & Isamu / Sharron (nighttime)

Isamu lands and talks with Myung (sunrise)

Damn. They been flying those planes for a while! :p

I noticed the same thing (and to show how unobservant I am, I didn't really notice it until the tenth time I watched it or something like that).

I just assumed that the (abandoned?) city where they first touched down was probably half the globe away from Macross City, and so they they flew through a number of time zones.

And yes, the battle against Sharon took all night.

(Either that, or it's just more dramatic and symbolic to have the big battle happen at night and end with a sunrise.)

I noticed the same thing (and to show how unobservant I am, I didn't really notice it until the tenth time I watched it or something like that).

I just assumed that the (abandoned?) city where they first touched down was probably half the globe away from Macross City, and so they they flew through a number of time zones.

And yes, the battle against Sharon took all night.

(Either that, or it's just more dramatic and symbolic to have the big battle happen at night and end with a sunrise.)

I always assumed it was a "time zone" thing, as you said. if i recall correctly, it was already night time in macross city when sharon apple "felt" the arrival of isamu. but at the point of entry of isamu and guld, it seemed like late afternoon. i'd say that the time in macross city was 4 hours, give or take, ahead of the timezone in the abandoned city/battle area.

but whatever the truth is, it's still a frickin long battle. :)