Macross Plus: The Movie

so last night since I got my 11B i hit Youtube and found a listing for the Macross Plus movie which Ive never seen. "what the hell" i figure? even if the quality is bad, i know the story well so I just need to see the new bits.

HOLY CRAP!

I never in a million years thought Id enjoy it this much! the pacing is improved, the story feels like it makes more sense somehow, the action was great....Sure i missed the asteroid fight from the start, but that was really the only sequence that I would have liked back in the film.

Im just floored that it was THIS much better as a film! Is there a decent DVD set to buy with good english Subs, or must i resort to a bootleg?

Region 4. I didn't know there had been a western release of the movie with a sub and dub! That's awesome!

I sort of missed the opening, but I liked the pacing of the film so much it wasn't that big a deal in the end. My favourite addition was isamu skydiving in battroid down and then shifting to gerwalk right near the ground. That was beautiful!

Ive never seen it to buy here. we got the Mac+ perfect collection, but not this i think.

Ill have to invest in the US version.

Im more of a dub guy than a sub guy, so I miss Isamus English voice. He was awesome! :)

Edited by Scream Man

I only have it on VHS. The movie is missing one thing the openning fight.

That is probably the worst thing about it. The pacing of the original anime had problems, with part three in particular dragging on. Then again, most Macross' series (SDF:M, Plus, Zero and Frontier) had real issues when it came to the pacing of the series and generally the endings were rushed.

Taksraven

I might be wrong but I think the DVDs were hardsubs as well. So you can't turn the subs off if you want to watch it without the text cluttering up the bottom of the screen.

Let's face it, we're all so familliar with the story now we don't need subs to follow the movie anymore.

I might be wrong but I think the DVDs were hardsubs as well. So you can't turn the subs off if you want to watch it without the text cluttering up the bottom of the screen.

Yep, that's how it is. I had the VHS tape and I have the DVD. There was never a dub made for the movie, and the DVD is just a VHS dump. Pretty lame way to release such a spectacular movie...

I never realized until this thread that it was a VHS dump. Will they release a higher quality version? I am still pissed off that there is no official decent release of Macross Zero. HG!!!!!! :angry:

I never realized until this thread that it was a VHS dump. Will they release a higher quality version?

Given they initially promised an english dub for the movie DVD release, and that the subsequent Macross Plus box set only had the OVA...

They seem to not give a flying grizzly bear about the movie.

Wait, what?

One of the older Japanese DVD's has a new English dub for vol.4, and in it David Hayter provides Isamu's voice. Mind you, he doesn't make Isamu sound like Snake. :p I thought that dub was pretty weak, the voice acting lacked energy and the lip-synching was totally off in some scenes. It's only saving grace was that it was a little more faithful to the sub, but that might explain why the lip-synching was off.

I never realized until this thread that it was a VHS dump. Will they release a higher quality version? I am still pissed off that there is no official decent release of Macross Zero. HG!!!!!! :angry:

Same here. Guess I'll just have to make sure my LD player doesn't burn out from playing the LD version I got from Japan. Still, I wished they had replaced the un-necessary Lucy fan service with more action sequences instead. <_<

Same here. Guess I'll just have to make sure my LD player doesn't burn out from playing the LD version I got from Japan. Still, I wished they had replaced the un-necessary Lucy fan service with more action sequences instead. <_<

While the Lucy fanservice scene might have been a touch extraneous, the additional scenes of her added some dimension to her character. It made her go from being a throwaway blonde bimbo, to a somewhat interesting character that we only get a brief exposure to her thoughts and feelings.

there is NOTHING unnecessary about Lucy fan-service. :D

But the mid-90's were a great place to be!! ;) ;)

Taksraven

Damn straight!!! B))

Whoa! Wait a minute. I thought Macross was a stuck-in-the-1980s fandom. When did this board jump to pining away for a 1990's golden age? ;):lol:

Damn straight!!! B))

Whoa! Wait a minute. I thought Macross was a stuck-in-the-1980s fandom. When did this board jump to pining away for a 1990's golden age? ;):lol:

The '80s taught us to love Valkyries...the '90s taught us to love Valkyries with guitar sticks!

BOMBAA!!