Welcome to the new Macross World Forums

Shawn

Hello everyone!

Yes-we are finally back! First off the updates

Old - Celeron 1.3Mhz 512MB ram

New - Pentium 4 2.0Ghz 1GB ram

Old - Ikonboard 3 (DBM-which we just plain killed)

New - Invision Board 1.2 (MySql and Php-which is what we should have been 2 years ago)

The good:

The new forums should be able to handle our load

The bad:

There is just no way in hell to transfer all the info from the old boards.

I've been trying for 2 weeks now to upgrade our IB to MySQL. The DBM files were just too damn big. Even when I had the server entirely to myself it would constantly time out on every procedure.

Resigned myself to simply ditch the message transfer and go for a member only migration.

3700+ registered members killed this migration too. The upgrade software/methods just cannot deal with something so bloated (I don't blame the Ikonboard software at all-its been a great 2 years! All the trouble has been entirely my fault because I rode the DBM wagon much too long)

So here we are. New boards, fresh members. I guess now is the time for all of you who wanted to change your screen name to do so. LOL

We are going to indefinitely keep the old IB forums online (link below). You can gather important PM's or browse old posts at your leisure. I'm going to be bringing some of our very first posts back online in that forum(I have backups from the beginning). It will be our version of http://www.archive.org/

I'll turn the old boards back online on Friday evening(aug 22nd)-I want to monitor the server logs without the IB overhead right now.

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwf/ikonboard.cgi

One more item-I'll add our "Macross" skin sometime this weekend. For those people who are really motivated and really bored, send me some skin designs I can use!! http://www.ibplanet.com/

Thanks again for all your patience in this move-I hope everyone has a lot of fun here!

BTW: If you encounter and problems with the board (ie BUGS!! ) please email me ss455@aol.com asap so I can address them. Mods-please email me so I can re-establish your permissions (assuming you still want the JOBS! B) )

Best,

Shawn

Call me parnoid, but I had a feeling this is what it would have to boil down to. That's the problem with old forum software, or more exactly, old forum software databases. UBB had that problem for me. As I see it, this was no different.

Well...let see how many people come back.

BTW, if you want some more smilies, I've got a few dozen I've pulled from various message boards.

I think my only copy of my .sig quote was on the old board! I literally paused the game and typed in in. :) Need to go see the archives when it's back up.

As for members--if you ever browsed through "the old" members list, you'll see a LOT of people never posted, or did so less than once a year. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 50% loss in number of members--but we won't actually see a post/thread decline.

Finally---my birthday was the 20th--but the board was down all day so nobody knew. :( (Got JP Armada Tidalwave (Shockwave) btw) (Also my 1/350 "USS Missouri to convert to the Iowa" which I got early)

New boards are looking slick but I too am wondering where the RObotech and other sci-fi section went. Prolly was way too high of a traffic area and was removed like the "everything else" forum there used to be a while back.

i amde a poll ont he feedback area for them to put it back. go vote!!

Hmm are all those members/names still active though? Maybe get rid of or just transfer those that haven't posted in over a year or something? I can think of more complicated things, but that seems the simplest and easiest?

Shawn, in case you get a PHP timeout: you can adjust the setting in your php.ini. It is called max_execution_time and is given in seconds. If you set it to 0, the PHP scripts will never time out, which might be necessary for the import. You can re-adjust it after the import.

I'm a programmer and have experience with PHP and MySQL; if I can help you with the board, just email me.

I'm still sulking about losing the old post counts, although I understand the reason for it. But I was getting close to 3,000 posts damn it! :(

Graham

I have a bootleg autopost macro I could sell you... Left over from a "let's make the worlds longest thread" event.

One macro to rule them all! One macro to find them. One macro to bring them all, and to their post count bind them!

Finally---my birthday was the 20th--but the board was down all day so nobody knew.  :(  (Got JP Armada Tidalwave (Shockwave) btw)  (Also my 1/350 "USS Missouri to convert to the Iowa" which I got early)

Happy belated B-Day DH :p Here's to all August babies, including the new MW Forums :lol::p:D

PS-mine's on the 29th B)

edit: thanks for your hard work Shawn, the new forums look awesome!!!

Ieeee, looks so cold, corporate, and impersonal now! Can't wait until the Macross skin is ready. Be nice to see a new, sleeker looking Macross skin for the forums.

Not that I can talk, I still haven't finished the VF-4 picture I promised everyone! It'll happen, eventually!