Aniemigo scripts

Someone is already releasing the japanese remastered SDFM with updated scripts. The video is superior to the american film masters that ADV/Animeigo had to work with. The scripts feature the best blend of ADV and Animeigo's scripts with corrections made as needed.

Just check out the Macross Translation Project at http://galaxynetwork.blogspot.com/

Episodes are released at a rate of about two weeks, @episode 4 now. asiandvdclub.org is also a good place to check out.

Edited by OptimusX

I'm looking for animeigo set subtitles script to add them as secondary track to my adv set. If anyone has a-igo set and can upload the files (vobsubs preferably) to rapid, megaupload etc I'd be grateful.

As far as I know, the only AnimEigo files available on-line are DivX avi files...in other words, they're hardsubbed, so there are no .ass files floating around for them.

Someone is already releasing the japanese remastered SDFM with updated scripts. The video is superior to the american film masters that ADV/Animeigo had to work with. The scripts feature the best blend of ADV and Animeigo's scripts with corrections made as needed.

Just check out the Macross Translation Project at http://galaxynetwork.blogspot.com/

Episodes are released at a rate of about two weeks, @episode 4 now. asiandvdclub.org is also a good place to check out.

Episode 5 is going up tomorrow. But really, I can't recommend my version to anyone looking for a quick fix...we won't be done until summer of 2010, after all...

Episode 5 is going up tomorrow. But really, I can't recommend my version to anyone looking for a quick fix...we won't be done until summer of 2010, after all...

It's like watching a first run series on network TV :lol:

Truly the best SDFM experience yet!

It's like watching a first run series on network TV :lol:

Truly the best SDFM experience yet!

Like watching it at half-speed, maybe...

Really, we probably could go faster on the series, but I don't want to. First, because I like to have SOME semblance of an actual life, and second, because it allows me time to work on the OTHER Macross translations.

From my perspective (and I know no one will agree with me), the fansubs are the icing...the previously untranslated books, comics, drama albums, and other things like that are the cake.

Like watching it at half-speed, maybe...

Really, we probably could go faster on the series, but I don't want to. First, because I like to have SOME semblance of an actual life, and second, because it allows me time to work on the OTHER Macross translations.

From my perspective (and I know no one will agree with me), the fansubs are the icing...the previously untranslated books, comics, drama albums, and other things like that are the cake.

Well the fansubs are fantastic but won't give us any new information. Any real suprises are bound to come from those books comics etc, who few of us have seen and read. I for one look forward to new fuel for our fan ramblings on all things Macross ^_^

Well the fansubs are fantastic but won't give us any new information. Any real suprises are bound to come from those books comics etc, who few of us have seen and read. I for one look forward to new fuel for our fan ramblings on all things Macross ^_^

I'm a video quality fanatic...so these episodes are a big deal for me, personally.

As far as publications go...I do wish those had english releases too...

I would buy all of those Macross Chronicle books if I knew I could enjoy the art and read through it at the same time...

Maybe a speed manga translation group can form one day so we can buy the publications as they are released....

Or the japanese can start writing in romaji 100% of the time to make it easier for people to read....

Or we can clone Gubaba....

(i can dream...)

I'm a video quality fanatic...so these episodes are a big deal for me, personally.

As far as publications go...I do wish those had english releases too...

I would buy all of those Macross Chronicle books if I knew I could enjoy the art and read through it at the same time...

Maybe a speed manga translation group can form one day so we can buy the publications as they are released....

Or the japanese can start writing in romaji 100% of the time to make it easier for people to read....

Or we can clone Gubaba....

(i can dream...)

Really, I'm not good with the technical stuff. I had to revise the VF-25S page again and again, it took forever to translate, and I was constantly pestering Azrael for help.

I feel much more in my element doing stuff like "My Fair Minmay." No action, no mecha, barely even science fiction...just the story of a high-school girl on the verge of stardom.

Even then, I'm not terribly speedy. My kanji is shockingly bad, so it feels like I have to look up every other word. But that's okay. I'd rather get it right than do it fast.

Really, I'm not good with the technical stuff. I had to revise the VF-25S page again and again, it took forever to translate, and I was constantly pestering Azrael for help. I feel much more in my element doing stuff like "My Fair Minmay." No action, no mecha, barely even science fiction...just the story of a high-school girl on the verge of stardom.

That's completely understandable. Someone can have a PhD in Japanese Grammar, but that doesn't mean they can interpret a Japanese medical journal. On the other hand, you'll have military or science geeks that do not know any japanese.

Ideally a group of people who know each other really well could combine skillsets...but that could reach the territory have taking up a part time job, lol.

Even then, I'm not terribly speedy. My kanji is shockingly bad, so it feels like I have to look up every other word. But that's okay. I'd rather get it right than do it fast.

Well, I am thankful we have someone in the fandom who even has the ability to look up kanji...

The way I translate japanese for myself is transcribing by ear into romaji and plugging the words into online dictionaries....then I have to interpret the word jumble and wordsmith the thing. Takes forever...

I don't even want to ask you how characters are sorted in a kanji dictionary, lol.

I only know four katakana characters, and they spell: ma-ku-ro-su

^^

As far as I know, the only AnimEigo files available on-line are DivX avi files...in other words, they're hardsubbed, so there are no .ass files floating around for them

I'd actually was hoping for someone with the actual boxset to provide me with those.

The way I translate japanese for myself is transcribing by ear into romaji and plugging the words into online dictionaries....then I have to interpret the word jumble and wordsmith the thing. Takes forever...

HA! That's me with the drama albums...listening to each line again and again, trying to look up the words it sounds like they're saying...

Misa and Minmay are okay, but Hikaru mumbles. A lot. And the Bridge Bunnies talk too fast.

I don't even want to ask you how characters are sorted in a kanji dictionary, lol.

It's actually not bad...I've got the massive NTC Kanji dictionary, which has a pretty easy system. The only bad thing about it is that's it's big and heavy, and thus not as portable as I'd like.

As much as it seems nice, reading Japanese sans Kanji would be nigh impossible, WAY too many homonyms. Gotta get back on my Heisig's remembering the Kanji, took a week or two off, and I'm paying for it.

And Gubaba, try jisho.org, it has a really handy "lookup by components" feature that I love, I mean the NTC is awesome, but it can be unwieldy, especially when you have Kanji whose stroke count is a bit unclear.

I'd actually was hoping for someone with the actual boxset to provide me with those.

The only way could be rip the streams directly on a *.sup fie or use the old SubRip software to create an *.srt

I've the boxset, but I don't have the time to do even the subs for frontier... :(

You'd be better off adding ADV's subs to Animeigo's set, as it has superior audio to begin with. That said, you're pretty optimistic to expect someone to rip subs from nine discs for a new member whose request is his only contribution thus far. Like Xeros said, it's a touch time consuming. A lot of other board would consider that pretty rude, actually. Not to mention that I've never heard of Aniemego. Still welcome to the boards. ^_^

That said, the subs really aren't all the different. They changed a handful of lines in the first volume, and probably didn't use Animeigo's trademark use of colors. So it's probably not worth your time. I've somewhat wondered on the video quality though, as AE used DVD5s, and I think ADV used DVD9. Though I hear AE's are progressive, while ADV's are not. It's a heck of a can of worms. Speaking of VQ, I've only seen one episode of the R2, but I can't really say I'm all that impressed. This is not in reference to Gubaba's work, merely the remaster itself.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Speaking of VQ, I've only seen one episode of the R2, but I can't really say I'm all that impressed. This is not in reference to Gubaba's work, merely the remaster itself.

To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with it, either at first...it looked really washed out. And then I noticed how much more detail there was.

I think both the AnimEigo and Emotion remasters compliment each other...AnimEigo is brighter and more colorful, but you can SEE more in the Emotion version.

That said, the subs really aren't all the different. They changed a handful of lines in the first volume, and probably didn't use Animeigo's trademark use of colors. So it's probably not worth your time. I've somewhat wondered on the video quality though, as AE used DVD5s, and I think ADV used DVD9. Though I hear AE's are progressive, while ADV's are not. It's a heck of a can of worms. Speaking of VQ, I've only seen one episode of the R2, but I can't really say I'm all that impressed. This is not in reference to Gubaba's work, merely the remaster itself.

I was not that impressed at first, either. But what I have noticed is that the colors on the R2DVD seem to be corrected to a much greater degree (imo). And the bitrate is MUCH higher than the Animeigo's DVDs. On Animeigo's I remember some spots with pixelation during high spead scenes...I'm expecting that to be less of a problem on the R2DVD set.

HA! That's me with the drama albums...listening to each line again and again, trying to look up the words it sounds like they're saying...

Lol...and I thought I was crazy for looping lines. It takes me like 30 minutes per minute though...and it drives my wife nuts.

Yeah, as much as I love AE, they have one of the crappiest icehouses on the planet. I was rather amazed to discover the use of DVD5s. Though I've noticed Funi has started releasing series on 4 discs lately. Those can't look as good as they could.

Remastering is funny business. Particularly color. There are some fascinating studies on remasters that royally mess up color tones. I'm reading up on the new Trek film set right now. Khan is really blue now, and most are DNR'd to hell and gone. It's seems most people care not for accurate color timing. You'd be amazed what color timing can do to a films look. Even the recent Sleeping Beauty restoration, which used three stripe Technicolor had some really odd color fluctuations. Sadly, a lot of recent restorations are contrast and tint tweaks with some digital paint put it and some grain scrubbing and edge enhancement (The SB DVD had tons of EEE that the BD thankfully didn't). Basically what happened to DYRL (minus the DNR). Not that it's always a bad thing, though it can be when they decide "punchy" is better than accurate. I'll have to compare a bit more. Though AE really did do some great work.

To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with it, either at first...it looked really washed out. And then I noticed how much more detail there was.

I like the R2 muted colors more. It's just more natural. The R1 looks like a disney cartoon. :blink:

Good work on your R2 project! 4Mbps is an overkill, but the high bitrate also gives me a chance to filter it with a little DNR. While it's notable to try to preserve as much details as possible, I find that grain and digital displays just don't go together.

(I tried playback filtering, but it doesn't work very effectively.)

I like the R2 muted colors more. It's just more natural. The R1 looks like a disney cartoon. :blink:

Good work on your R2 project! 4Mbps is an overkill, but the high bitrate also gives me a chance to filter it with a little DNR. While it's notable to try to preserve as much details as possible, I find that grain and digital displays just don't go together.

(I tried playback filtering, but it doesn't work very effectively.)

In general I'm very wary of grain removal processes. I've seen some attempts lower contrast to the point that it seems blurry. I also have a larger widescreen TV, and sometimes grain fixed video do not upscale as well as the "grainy" source (more pixelation).

IMHO grain removal makes video look great and screens 30" or smaller, but can impact detail on upscalers for video larger than 46".

All this is just my opinion in general, it's not based on hard data, and each restoration process is truly an individual work.

I'm not bothered by the grain so much anymore as long as the colors and detail are what they should be. When I emotionally "let it go" the grain just becomes part of the era in which it was produced, and is therefore part of the style.

quick edit - changed 46" from 56"....typo....that would be a big tv....

Edited by OptimusX

How old's your PC? it could just be a codec issue.

While i don't mind grain being stabilized in extreme cases like DYRL, I'm not a fan of DNR. It is too often used in the extreme (just look at the B-G release of DYRL or the screencaps coming out of the new Star Trek IV blu ray).

post-1202-1242122002_thumb.png

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

How old's your PC? it could just be a codec issue.

It's more of H.264 at 3.8Mbps than MKV (which is just a container).

I thought it was Xvid before I downloaded (due to its huge size) and was surprised it couldn't play on my ancient P-III 850 MHz notebook. (Which handles H.264 at 600kbps fine.)

While i don't mind grain being stabilized in extreme cases like DYRL, I'm not a fan of DNR. It is too often used in the extreme (just look at the B-G release of DYRL or the screencaps coming out of the new Star Trek IV blu ray).

After I wrote that, I'm glad Gubaba left the grain intact so that we can do our own post-processing. :p

In the future, dual-layer BD should have enough space to store both versions!

After I wrote that, I'm glad Gubaba left the grain intact so that we can do our own post-processing. :p

Just to be clear...I'm just doing the scripts for it (and even then, it's more a matter of checking the AnimEigo and ADV scripts against each other than it is out-and-out translation...although I will be doing a new translation of DYRL).

All the ripping is being done by boinger. He's also adding the subs. So yeah, I'm doing the easy work, he's doing all the hard stuff.

It's more of H.264 at 3.8Mbps than MKV (which is just a container).

I thought it was Xvid before I downloaded (due to its huge size) and was surprised it couldn't play on my ancient P-III 850 MHz notebook. (Which handles H.264 at 600kbps fine.)

In the future, dual-layer BD should have enough space to store both versions!

When boinger finishes releasing the x264 episodes from a single dvd, I extract the scripts and apply them to the original R2 DVD. The first disc is up on asiandvdclub.org. It might be gentler on that PIII lappy of yours...

• 1 month later...

Okay, so ep 1-6 are out, we are asked to modify the v1 mkv and seed the v2 batch torrent.

Does it work?

I modified my v1 mkvs and was unable to use them with the v2 batch torrent.

Okay, so ep 1-6 are out, we are asked to modify the v1 mkv and seed the v2 batch torrent.

Does it work?

I modified my v1 mkvs and was unable to use them with the v2 batch torrent.

Yeah...there seems to be some kind of problem with it, but I'm not sure what. Sorry. :(

In good news, though, the episode 1~6 batch is about 70% of the way towards being fully seeded, so it should be a relatively quick download soon.

Off topic request.

Is it at all possible to get the translated transcripts from the Macross special before Mac Frontier Deculture aired in December?

A member here translated half of it for me but I suspect real life took over for him and I still need the rest.

Any possibility of that in the near future?

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread..... :p

Edited by Zinjo