Death of a Genre

GobotFool

It has been to long since I have played a decent space shooter. Sadly the prospects of getting a decent indepth space shooter does not seem much better after that bogus game Freelancer. Visuals alone can not carry a game, Freelancer was too easy, and to simple, hell even in Rogue leader I felt challenged. Freelancer. no challenge, point shoot, enemy dies. If shields start to fail use the oh so convienient shield booster <_<

Anyway, I just had to vent. I miss games like wingcommander, x-wing, freespace, Independance war 1 and 2. Perhaps X2 the threat will jumpstart the industry. It looks pretty enough but will the gameplay hold? I hope so!

I miss Wing Commander. I was waiting for a sequel to prophecy when they left so much open. Sadly nothing, and and I gave up some years ago.

Tie Fighter remains one of my favorite games ever. Even lucas hasn't put out a really good star wars space sim since then. While I wanted to like X-Wing Alliance, I just couldn't. Didn't hold a candle to Tie Figher. The rogue games on gamecube don't do it for me either. It's a shame. I picked up Tachyon: The Fringe a while back, in the bargain bin. Have'nt tried it myself yet, but I heard decent things about it.

I read about Freelancer's point-and-click system, and never bought it for that reason.

I miss this genre. I wonder why it has lingered for so long.

Anyone remember the Babylon 5 game they were going to make? It was scrapped years ago, but it looked oh so promising at the time. Another shame.

Well, Totally Games, which did X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and all the other PC Star Wars shooters, is coming out with Secret Weapons over Normandy... so dust off that flightstick, I'm doing the same for mine! It's not a space shooter, but at least it's not a hardcore flightsim... besides, it's Lawerence Holland! The man knows how to make shooters!

Now if only Totally Games and Lucasarts didn't fall out of favour with each other all those years...

Tie Fighter remains one of my favorite games ever. Even lucas hasn't put out a really good star wars space sim since then. While I wanted to like X-Wing Alliance, I just couldn't. Didn't hold a candle to Tie Figher.

What about X-Wing VS TIE Fighter?

I never got that one,(my system was inadequate when it was available), but it looked good.

Well, Totally Games, which did X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and all the other PC Star Wars shooters, is coming out with Secret Weapons over Normandy... so dust off that flightstick, I'm doing the same for mine!  It's not a space shooter, but at least it's not a hardcore flightsim... besides, it's Lawerence Holland! The man knows how to make shooters!

Now if only Totally Games and Lucasarts didn't fall out of favour with each other all those years...

Cool I may have to check Weapons over Normandy out. I guess its kinda a Crimson skies style shooter? Also Mcbride, I played a few hardcore flight sims in my time and difficulty aside I found them kinda boring. WW2 sims like Sturmovik are the ones I have the best time with as far as flight sims go nice and simple.

I still have high hopes for X2: The threat.

Edited by GobotFool

Tie Fighter remains one of my favorite games ever.  Even lucas hasn't put out a really good star wars space sim since then.  While I wanted to like X-Wing Alliance, I just couldn't.  Didn't hold a candle to Tie Figher.

What about X-Wing VS TIE Fighter?

I never got that one,(my system was inadequate when it was available), but it looked good.

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter was a Multiplayer game mainly. You might have been able to use a quick skirmish generator by yourself but i think that was it. Never bought it myself because there was no single player campaign.

Edit in: I haven't heard of X2: the threat. Can someone put up a link to some info about it?

Edited by Anubis

http://egosoft.com/

Try here for info on X2: the threat. FYI the screenshots don't do it justice, DL the roling Graphic demo. It non interactive but if your system can handle it crank it up to full and enjoy. The only thing I didn't like graphicaly from what I saw was the explosions looked to flat and not nearly as good as the rest of the game. but thats my only complaint.

Edited by GobotFool

Anubis, just a slight correction regarding X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (XvT). Compared to its predecessors (X-W and T/F), it's main advantage was multiplayer. It did have a single player campaign. The expansion, Balance of Power gave more of the same with about 2 extra craft, one of which was the B-Wing.

X-Wing: Alliance has a skirmish/mission generator. It's not fancy and isn't powerful but it's better than running the same scripted missions over and over.

I wish the X-Wing series of space shooters continued. The Rogue series never did it for me despite the better graphics *yawn*

As for flight sims, which kept the dust off my controller, I too love the WWII era games. Not too complicated. No worries about avionics. I still have a dear spot in my heart for European Air War but since I have a new computer I need to get IL-2 & Forgotten Battles.

yeah... the space shooter has died out... and I never noticed.

I still play Xwing vs Tie Fighter. Its a great game, especially with Balance of Power.

Man do I miss Tie Fighter though. Did anybody remember when you first got the Defender of the Empire? L33T!!!!!!!!!!!! All you could think was HOW DID THE EMPIRE LOSE WITH A FIGHTER LIKE THIS????? I don't care about the force, you couldn't dodge the bloody thing. And that wasn't the end of it... not by the long shot... then the Greatest feeling of all... (after you cleaned up the warm feeling in your pants... )

The Missile Boat.

50 Advanced Concussion missiles. Man I don't know if the Rebel fleet had 50 A-wings total to be hit by the missile boat. It was the evilest piece of machinery ever (brought to you by the manufacturors of the Death Star and the evil looking lighting from the emperor's hand)

anyway its one of my favorite child hood games, and I can't play it anymore. HAs anybody figured out how to make it work on modern machines?

I didn't know X vs Tie had a single player campaign. My bad. Guess I should have piocked it up after all. Oh well.

A few years back they came out with an X-Wing Collector's Series. This I definately have. It had X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and X vs Tie: Flight School (basically a demo of it).

It was for Windows 95/98 and both X-wing and Tie fighter had the graphics upgraded to x vs tie quality. Not far off from Alliance in quality IMO. Man Tie Fighter looked nice like that. I only sampled it like that though. I never got around to actually playing the full game enhanced , unfortunately. Add one more thing on my ever growing to do list.

Yes the missle boat kicked ass, but give me my Tie Advanced or Tie Defender. I loved flying those.

anyway its one of my favorite child hood games, and I can't play it anymore. HAs anybody figured out how to make it work on modern machines?

Yup.

Scounge some old parts up and build an MS-DOS machine.

Don't forget the ISA Soundblaster(my machine's major failing right now. SB16 emulation just ain't cuttin' it).

Ah...the good old days. All these new games really make me feel old. I haven't really played many new sims since I went off for college back in '96. Since then I have never had enough $ for a top-of-the-line PC (too much other stuff to spend on).

I will say that X-Wing Alliance, while not having a campaign quite as good as X-wing or Tie Fighter, was still a great game. Better graphics, lots of playable ships...same rock solid game play.

I used to be a huge flight sim fan (I had and loved all the Lucasfilm and Dynamix sims), but they've all gone either super-realistic or arcade-style...and I seem out of a genre.

I would like to be a real pilot someday...but I don't want my simulator to try and do it for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but Red Baron 2 was just about right. So was Aces of the Pacific. I tried to play my father's Microsoft combat simulator...and I needed the instruction manual to take off! Joystick, rudder buttons, flaps, gear, throttle, weapon selection. That's it, that's all a good simulator needs.

PS- have there been any good WWI sims since Red Baron 3D? I played the crap outta that game, but now my 3D card doesn't support it and I need a new game.

I had XvT, X-Wing CD, and TIE Fighter on the old PC. I have to admit, the TIE Defender was just so damn awesome!! I've read the X-Wing books and really enjoyed it when the Defender made an appearance. Still, I hate the overall "porthole" canopy scheme all the TIE's had. X_x

Ah yes, the Missile Boat... One has to keep in mind this question: How friggin big that vessel has to be to hold THAT many missile/torps. I still found it amusing to pilot an eyeball or squint packing secondaries when there's really NO SPACE to pack 'em in. LOL :D

Personally, I think the X-Wing games should have been followed more closely for the RS games, but that's just me. Also, I love how they (X-Wing/TIE/XvT) helped the authors to create the X-Wing book series. Just reading them made me feel as if I was really flying along with Wedge, Tycho, and Corran.

Now, just for fun, I mentioned that I read the X-Wing books. I'll list off a few nicknames of some fighters, and you folks figure them out...

Eyeballs

Squints

Brights

Crosses

Slims

Impstars

Vicstars

Bonus X-Wing Question: What are "Uglies"? (5 Points)

It sounds to me like we're going to have to make a Macross World - Secret Weapons Over Normandy Deathmatch someday soon... :D

I'm still waiting for the MW FPS Deathmatch. Unless there was one and no one told me :(

Dammit, I have an urge to play tie fighter now, but no time to do it. Maybe if I have a little time tomorrow since I'm off, but I doubt it.

yeah... the space shooter has died out... and I never noticed.

I still play Xwing vs Tie Fighter. Its a great game, especially with Balance of Power.

Man do I miss Tie Fighter though. Did anybody remember when you first got the Defender of the Empire? L33T!!!!!!!!!!!! All you could think was HOW DID THE EMPIRE LOSE WITH A FIGHTER LIKE THIS????? I don't care about the force, you couldn't dodge the bloody thing. And that wasn't the end of it... not by the long shot... then the Greatest feeling of all... (after you cleaned up the warm feeling in your pants... )

The Missile Boat.

50 Advanced Concussion missiles. Man I don't know if the Rebel fleet had 50 A-wings total to be hit by the missile boat. It was the evilest piece of machinery ever (brought to you by the manufacturors of the Death Star and the evil looking lighting from the emperor's hand)

Well supposedly, since the TDs and Missile Boats were advanced designs but came too late into the Rebellion. Gotta remember that the Admiral that went rogue in TF took the advance facilities that made those advance fighters. Once the Empire took back control, the production did not go into full swing due to damage to those facilities. Had that not happen, there would have been T/As, M/B, and T/Ds at Endor.

But you gotta remember, TIE pilots were given low survivabilty. You had huge numbers to overwhelm your opponent whereas the Alliance/Rebellion were training their pilots to fight those odds. Even if the Empire had the T/As, most of those pilot were cannon fodder regardless. Sure technology would have given them more advantage but their pilot training was a lot to be desired...

Also, T/Fs, T/Bs, and T/Is were cheaper fast to manufacture.

As for XvT, I loved that game. I loved all the those series up till XWA. I hated the new HUD system. XvT toned down the shields on fighters that did have them and started factoring in more that Turbolasers were more powerful that regular lasers. So it wasn't easier unlike X-Wing whereas you can take out the stardestroyer.

Bonus X-Wing Question:  What are "Uglies"?  (5 Points)

aren't those fighters that are cobbled together from spare parts from many different fighters??

Yeah, mainly pirate-fighters

I like X-Wing Alliance as well.

Uglies were TF ball cockpit mated to the X-wing's s-foils if I remember. The Twi'leks were using them in X-Wing Book 4: The Bacta War.

Uglies were TF ball cockpit mated to the X-wing's s-foils if I remember. The Twi'leks were using them in X-Wing Book 4: The Bacta War.

Actually, that was just one of the many varieties of "Uglies" featured in the X Wing books. There was also a TIE/Y-wing combo, labeled a "Die-Wing."

Well, maybe it's time to move over to playing combat flight sims, instead of space sims. Lock On is about to be released, ya know...

There aren't even that many combat flight sims around anymore. Lock-On looks good, I saw Jetfighter V the other day, and then you have the Microsoft Combat flight sims that's about it :(

I had XvT, X-Wing CD, and TIE Fighter on the old PC. I have to admit, the TIE Defender was just so damn awesome!! I've read the X-Wing books and really enjoyed it when the Defender made an appearance. Still, I hate the overall "porthole" canopy scheme all the TIE's had. X_x

Ah yes, the Missile Boat... One has to keep in mind this question: How friggin big that vessel has to be to hold THAT many missile/torps. I still found it amusing to pilot an eyeball or squint packing secondaries when there's really NO SPACE to pack 'em in. LOL :D

Personally, I think the X-Wing games should have been followed more closely for the RS games, but that's just me. Also, I love how they (X-Wing/TIE/XvT) helped the authors to create the X-Wing book series. Just reading them made me feel as if I was really flying along with Wedge, Tycho, and Corran.

Now, just for fun, I mentioned that I read the X-Wing books. I'll list off a few nicknames of some fighters, and you folks figure them out...

Eyeballs

Squints

Brights

Crosses

Slims

Impstars

Vicstars

Ugly- take peices from two or more fighters and combine them to make one working fighter.

Loved that series too, my favorite Ugly was the Death Seed :)

Well supposedly, since the TDs and Missile Boats were advanced designs but came too late into the Rebellion. Gotta remember that the Admiral that went rogue in TF took the advance facilities that made those advance fighters. Once the Empire took back control, the production did not go into full swing due to damage to those facilities. Had that not happen, there would have been T/As, M/B, and T/Ds at Endor.

But you gotta remember, TIE pilots were given low survivabilty. You had huge numbers to overwhelm your opponent whereas the Alliance/Rebellion were training their pilots to fight those odds. Even if the Empire had the T/As, most of those pilot were cannon fodder regardless. Sure technology would have given them more advantage but their pilot training was a lot to be desired...

How about the assault gunboats? That was always a question of mine... in TIE Fighter, whenever you ran into trouble and called for assistence, a flight of gunboats would hyper in a moment later with a blaze of lasers, ions, and missiles. In X-Wing Alliance, assault gunboats were all over the place...

So where were they at Endor?

Speaking of overwhelming odds, anybody remember how the TIE Fighter expansion packs made YOU, an Imperial pilot, fight against overwhelming odds? I still remember the beginning of Defender of the Empire (I think.. either that or the other expansion...) where your entire flight of two TIE Defenders hyper in to save the factories... I always had mixed feelings in missions involving either the TIE Defender or the missile boat.. it meant that either you were gonna go cap ship happy, or you were gonna be the only flight of Imperial fighters in the area....

mmm..... also when you first discover of Admiral Zaarin's nature... "Gamma 2 and Gamma 3, destroy Gamma 1!" 1 lone TIE Interceptor against... a minefield, a star destroyer and its contingent of TIEs....

okay, yeah, this is bringing back good memories... pity X-Wing Trilogy won't run properly under windows 2000 :angry: Gonna have to dig out the old Riva 128, Soundblaster Pro, and put together a classic gaming computer...

Well supposedly, since the TDs and Missile Boats were advanced designs but came too late into the Rebellion.  Gotta remember that the Admiral that went rogue in TF took the advance facilities that made those advance fighters.  Once the Empire took back control, the production did not go into full swing due to damage to those facilities. Had that not happen, there would have been  T/As, M/B, and T/Ds at Endor.

How about the assault gunboats? That was always a question of mine... in TIE Fighter, whenever you ran into trouble and called for assistence, a flight of gunboats would hyper in a moment later with a blaze of lasers, ions, and missiles. In X-Wing Alliance, assault gunboats were all over the place...

So where were they at Endor?

Speaking of overwhelming odds, anybody remember how the TIE Fighter expansion packs made YOU, an Imperial pilot, fight against overwhelming odds? I still remember the beginning of Defender of the Empire (I think.. either that or the other expansion...) where your entire flight of two TIE Defenders hyper in to save the factories... I always had mixed feelings in missions involving either the TIE Defender or the missile boat.. it meant that either you were gonna go cap ship happy, or you were gonna be the only flight of Imperial fighters in the area....

mmm..... also when you first discover of Admiral Zaarin's nature... "Gamma 2 and Gamma 3, destroy Gamma 1!" 1 lone TIE Interceptor against... a minefield, a star destroyer and its contingent of TIEs....

okay, yeah, this is bringing back good memories... pity X-Wing Trilogy won't run properly under windows 2000 :angry: Gonna have to dig out the old Riva 128, Soundblaster Pro, and put together a classic gaming computer...

Good question on the Assualt Gunboats. I dunno. They were hyperspace capable though. Maybe they took a wrong turn at Corellia? :lol:

As for the "Gamma 2 and Gamma 3, destroy Gamma 1!" I just simply blew them up before I went into the mine field. Didnt cost me anything there. :lol: Based on those tones from Gamma 2 and 3, it just pissed me off. I also figured it was a trap.

Man I loved the Assault gunboats...

Looks like your #$@ is about be handed to you?

Alt-s baby

Is your star destroyer is at 0% shields and 2% health and a squadron of Ywings hyper in on the opposite side of the map?

Alt-s baby

Is that Calamari cruiser at 20% health and you are out of heavy rockets, with 30 seconds till it hyperspace?

Alt-S and Mu and Rho squadron hyper in to save the day.

Also I was being semi sarchastic about the Tie Defender and how they managed to lose the war. I just thought it was about the coolest design ever.

(edited for more coolness with the Assault gunboat)

Edited by Noyhauser

It sounds to me like we're going to have to make a Macross World - Secret Weapons Over Normandy Deathmatch someday soon...  :D

I'm still waiting for the MW FPS Deathmatch. Unless there was one and no one told me :(

Nope, you haven't missed it. At least, to the best of my knowledge you haven't. But the HL2 deathmatch seems to be on indefinite hold, and we're pretty much split 50/50 on CS. There was some interest in Call of Duty and Vietcong, but probably not enough for a decent sized server.

Eyeballs

Squints

Brights

Crosses

Slims

Impstars

Vicstars

Let's see what I remember...

Eyeball = plain ol' TIE fighter.

Squint = TIE interceptor.

Impstar = Imperial-class Star Destroyer.

Vicstar = Victory-class Star Destroyer.

Brights = TIE Bomber?

I'd guess Cross = TIE Defender, but that's really a shot in the dark.

Dunno slim at all.