THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD

I got a quick question pertaining to Photoshop...

How do you overlay panel lines over objects like the UN Spacy logo, the insignias on the tailfins, etc. I've tried layering in various ways, but I can't seem to achieve the desired effect. If it helps, I'm using Photoshop CS-4 Extended. I'm not a professional Photoshopper by any means, so any tips you guys could give me would be appreciated. My Diamondback Leader has all of its logos sort of "floating" above the surface panels of the Valkyrie...

there are a couple of ways. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that you have the line art as part of the background layer.

one way is to do the markings on a seperate layer and then set the layer to multiply:

post-4286-1243375254_thumb.jpg

you can also use the same technique to color over the line art, but there's one problem. if you put a layer set on multiply over another layer with color, it will mess with the color on the multiply layer. a color set to multiply over white doesn't change and a color over black becomes black, any other color or shade and it will become a mix of the two.

post-4286-1243375916_thumb.jpg

one way around this is that you can make both the color and marking layers separately then, with them both in normal mode, merge them into one layer:

post-4286-1243376173_thumb.jpg

then you set the new merged layer to multiply

post-4286-1243376225_thumb.jpg

now the only problem is that you can't go back and edit the color and marking layers once they're merged, so you need to be sure to keep a separate file where the layers aren't merged that you can re edit later, and don't merge the layers til you are 100% done making the markings and color you want.

ok, so that's option 1, option 2 is in the next post.

option 2:

this one is what talos suggested in photoshop.

first your going to need to make sure that the line art is on a layer and not the background. you can tell if it's the background because it will say "background" in italics and have a little grey lock oposite the preview image.

post-4286-1243376596_thumb.jpg

if it is the background, convert it to a layer by right clicking on the layer and select "layer from background..." form the top of the pull down menu.

then you use that same pull down menu from before to make the layer a multiply layer. (I remembered to highlight the pull down menu this time)

post-4286-1243377070_thumb.jpg

then you can stack all your color and marking layers below your line art.

post-4286-1243377451_thumb.jpg

next up is option 3... :ph34r:

and finally this is how I do it personally. this is kind of like how Talos does it, but instead of using a multiply line art, I prefer to have the line art on a transparent layer.

ok, so what you do is go into the channels pallet (tab next to the layers pallet) and select one (I usually just use the red channel on B&W line art)

post-4286-1243377988_thumb.jpg

then right click the channel and duplicate it

post-4286-1243378029_thumb.jpg

now you go up to the select pull down menu. and click on the load selection option form the bottom of the pull down menu and from the load selection menu create a new selection from the red layer copy.

post-4286-1243378266_thumb.jpg

now invert the selection you just made (select>invert selection) and create a new layer. now on the new layer, fill the selection (shift+F5) with black

post-4286-1243378506_thumb.jpg

now you can get rid of the old line art layer and you have a your line art with no white that you can stick over other layers while still in normal mode.

post-4286-1243378643_thumb.jpg

then you do the color and markings same as always.

post-4286-1243378866_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mr March and anime52k8 for everything!

The pointers you gave are working out beautifully! I'm currently working on the Diamondback Strike Valkyrie and its turning out awesome using the techniques you suggested.

Now if I can just track down the Elintseeker schematic, I'd have everything I need! I know it exists...I've seen it at least once floating around on here.

You're welcome. I can't wait to see your next pictures.

I might have the ELINT schematic, but I can't recall if it's the blank or the colored one. I'll check when I get home later today.

The only one I can recall offhand is the colored decal markings guide from the Hasegawa VE-1 kit. The one on this site. It's one of the blanks I've intended to draw sometime, in the far future at least. XD

I've searched and it doesn't look like I have it. Sorry about that Cyclone. It's possible I was remembering wrong something I thought I had, but didn't. I've got so much Macross line art saved on my computer, sometimes it's hard to keep it all straight.

But in searching I realized I forgot to give you the VT-1 Ostrich. Here they is :)

post-114-1243462470_thumb.gif

Okay...using the techniques shared by anime52k8...and by proxy, Talos as well, I present Diamondback Leader's Strike Valkyrie. It turned out quite a bit better than my first attempt. The panel lines are so much smoother and show up well, even on the midnight blue paint job. Now I just need to work on my gradient shading. Again, thanks guys...

a453ea7d.jpg

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Thanks Mr March and anime52k8 for everything!

The pointers you gave are working out beautifully! I'm currently working on the Diamondback Strike Valkyrie and its turning out awesome using the techniques you suggested.

Now if I can just track down the Elintseeker schematic, I'd have everything I need! I know it exists...I've seen it at least once floating around on here.

your quite welcome, I remember having an E-seeker schematic as well, but I think it's on my other hard drive. I should be able to check in a few hours.

also great looking scheme.

Edited by anime52k8

Looks awesome Talos!! I'm telling ya, If Yamato were ever to make a VF-4 in 1/60, All of these Insignias & paint schemes look so awesome on this bird, it would be an amazing seller!!

So, my father's name is Kelly, his favorite color is green, and I love how HSL recolorings of the VF-171 come out.

This is the fruit of the above factors:

3576508813_4cdffbe2ca_o.png

Also, I was bored and hit the burn tool real hard on it:

3577313048_0fd394d0a5_o.png

Not so much a custom scheme as it is a "I think this would be fun" decision. Looks almost like it got with the scary lighting in a Nightmare...

You guys need to get some paint, airbrushes, and start customizing some toys with these color jobs, cause they are just bad@$$!!! You guys got talent.

You have to have the Bounty Hunters added at some point, their markings are just to amazing!!

I made one of my 1/72 VF-0B kits in this color scheme!! B))

I did a VF-2 VF-4 in that exact color scheme during my first run of VF-4s. I'm going to do a triple profile of them, that, the old CAG schem, and a low-vis bird.

Oh, Hell yeah!! Now, Talos, quit teasing us and finish that frakkin' image! Or do I need to bug you on the other forums we both frequent?

Don't worry, I will. But first I need to finish the Rogers and Tophatters! I'll post them all together.

vf4svf103.th.png