THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD

Hey now, I'm having fun with the VF-4s!

The nice thing about it is that I'm doing all the parts as seperate images, basically. The Ghost, the two missile pods, the FAST packs, they're all being done seperately from the VF-0 and pasted in. I was working on the Ghost earlier today, actually.

ghostf.th.png

My eventual goal is to do most of the variable fighters in Macross. I started on a non-SAP VF-2SS recently too.

Edited by Talos

I have a couple VF-4s finished, just waiting for me to write the backgrounds and a couple other Macross projects. Here's something I'm working on too, though I'm waiting for better scans of the SAP schematics in, I think, the TIA Macross II or one of the EBs. This, by the way, won't be SAP equipped, but the basic plane.

vf2ss.th.jpg

I'm hoping to release the next update within a month. The sooner the better. It will consist mostly of line art updates, revisions, corrections and what not, but there will be about 20+ new profiles across various sections and the new Zentradi Size Chart section will debut (complete with full color charts).

Edited by Mr March

• 3 weeks later...

Hey colorists and coloristas, Macross Aria can use YOUR talent...

Introducing the Macross Aria Cannon Fodder Contest Round 1!!

In addition to the oft ignored Apollo Squadron, Macross Aria features several members of Phoenix Squadron, whom, unlike their namesake, do not rise from the ashes, but rather eat the big pineapple salad. At this point, the Phoenix Squadron VF-1 markings are completely up in the air, along with the squadron logo. This is where the contest begins.

We're opening up the design of Phoenix Squadron to anybody in the Macross World community. Entries will be judged by a number of criteria, and the winning entry will show up on some VF-1s in Macross Aria. The winner will be given a credit as a contributing artist.

The legalities of this contest are so wrapped up in copyright issues (what with this being a fan-production and all) that there's no possible way for me to write a disclaimer here except to say, if you enter you are consenting to us using your design in exchange for a screen credit. Nobody is really going to make any money off of this production, so, you know. The contest is open to anybody who's cool with fan films, whether they're already a part of Team Aria or just a lurker or anything in between.

Good luck, and let the games begin!

There will be a few more contests in the near future, so hopefully we can all take part in this awesome project.

This has been posted in the Macross Aria thread as well.

Thanks, guys. Got a lot more of the VF-19F done today. I'm looking forward to color schemes on that one more then the VF-19A, since I haven't seen many good and accurate ones on it ever.

vf19f.th.jpg

Thanks, hellohikaru. Your VF-19F was one big reason I did it. It was well-done for the references you had and I wanted to improve on it. Heck, your VF-2SS SAP is part of the inspiration for the non-SAP VF-2SS I'm doing too.

Just as a teaser, here's what I have so far since I started shading and coloring the VF-19F. I'll post the finished lineart later for people who want to do their own coloring work.

vf19fbase.th.png

Cool new VF-19 profiles Talos..

@Wolfman

RL issues getting in the way..i am still lurking around though.

Well, whenever you can get around to it, I have four more Marine Corps VF-11 requests. Here they are: VMFA-232 Red Devils, VMFA-323 Death Rattlers, VMFA-112 Cowboys, and VMFA-533 Hawks.

I finished the lineart for the VF-19F, so I thought I'd post the blanks here for anyone who wants to do their own. I provided one without markings and another with stripes and roundel.

vf19fbase.th.png

Thanks, hellohikaru! I had to do a lot of the detail based on the "full-detail" picture of Basara's VF-19 in Kawamori's Macross Design Works book. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

As far as my coloring/shading job, I'm at here so far:

vf19fbasei.th.png

I've searched through the nearly 40 pages of this thread and have found most, if not all, of the links to the clean black & white schematics for the VF-1, VF-1 Strike/Super, VF-4 VT-1 and VE-1 Elintseeker to be completely dead. If anyone still has copies of these clean schematics, please PM me! Any help in trying to procure a set of them would be greatly appreciated like you wouldn't believe!

I've caught the Photoshop bug, but alas, I can't find anything... :unsure:

I've searched through the nearly 40 pages of this thread and have found most, if not all, of the links to the clean black & white schematics for the VF-1, VF-1 Strike/Super, VF-4 VT-1 and VE-1 Elintseeker to be completely dead. If anyone still has copies of these clean schematics, please PM me! Any help in trying to procure a set of them would be greatly appreciated like you wouldn't believe!

I've caught the Photoshop bug, but alas, I can't find anything... :unsure:

I've got these handy right now. I can get you some more later.

post-114-1243055077_thumb.gif

post-114-1243055088_thumb.gif

Well, here's my first offering...

Back in the late 80s, when I used to roleplay Macross with friends of mine, we created the U.N. Spacy's version of Diamondback Squadron. The guy in our roleplaying group who became "Diamondback Leader" insisted that our squadron be the antithesis of Skull Squadron in both appearance and demeanor. Our Valkyries were to be dark in color, as opposed to Skull's brightly-colored paint schemes. The result was a paint scheme that, amazingly, damn-near copied the Dark Birds...years before I was ever aware of that particular squadron. There are only minor differences in the paint jobs, with the nosecones being a light blue-gray color instead of dark midnight blue. When I came across a pic of the Dark Birds on Macross Mecha Manual, I was kind of shocked that I had unknowingly plagerized an existing squadron.

But here's Diamondback Leader...

98927434.jpg

The other thing about this particular squadron is that, back in 1987, no one in our roleplaying group was aware that there is a real-life Diamondback Squadron. We just thought it sounded cool back then. But several years later, I learned that the Diamondbacks have flown everything from F-18 Hornets to F-14 Tomcats. So I "borrowed" their existing logo and modified it for the world of Macross...

Here's the squadron logo as it appears in real life and as it appears aboard the SDF-1...

a72d6c02.jpge8e122f3.jpg

I've seen some amazing Photoshop work in this thread, so my work will look EXTREMELY amateurish in comparison...but it does bring back fond memories...

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

It looks fantastic. Interesting story behind it too. Nice work. I'll try to get you some more schematics soon. You might want to bug Talos as well, since he's got a bunch of good ones, including his own drawings.

Yeah, feel free to use any of mine. I have finished:

Hasegawa-based VF-1J, VF-1A

VF-19F, VF-19S (same lineart)

VF-4

VF-0A/B/C/D/S bare, with gunpod, with FAST Pack, and with Ghost booster

VA-3

VE-3 (my own design)

YF-21

VF-22S

Unfinished:

VF-9

VF-11

VF-2SS w/o SAP

YF-19

VF-25S

VF-171

Let me know if you need anything. I can send you my colored and shaded VF-4 if you want too. It's in .xcf or .psd.

I got a quick question pertaining to Photoshop...

How do you overlay panel lines over objects like the UN Spacy logo, the insignias on the tailfins, etc. I've tried layering in various ways, but I can't seem to achieve the desired effect. If it helps, I'm using Photoshop CS-4 Extended. I'm not a professional Photoshopper by any means, so any tips you guys could give me would be appreciated. My Diamondback Leader has all of its logos sort of "floating" above the surface panels of the Valkyrie...

What I do is I set the lineart as the top layer. This would make the image all white with the black linework, but I set the layer mode to "multiply", then I have the other things on lower layers. Each of those VF-4s I posted a bit ago has, for example, 85 layers. I'm using GIMP, so I'm not sure where that option is in Photoshop, so you'll have to look around.