District 9

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I wasn't even aware of this movie until 4 weeks ago, and now, I cannot wait to see it. I even put off going to GI JOE this week just to go see this instead. I have high hopes for it, because with the exception of Star Trek every big summer movie sucked. Terminator could have been good if they just lopped off that horrible ending.

Anyhow, from what I've seen, I get the impression that humans are the bad guys. Kind of interesting. I've been saying for years that with the exception of E.T., humans are always the good guys and I'd love to see us as the villians for once.

I agree with you all! when i first saw the trailer for this I instantly though OMG they made a movie about city 17. If not a Haf-life movie than some kind of spinoff of something. As my 12 year old niece is getting more and more into the SyFy channel, i think this would be a great movie to take her to go and see this weekend.

Ah yes, I have trained the padawan well...that is of course until she discovers boys and no longer thinks i'm cool anymore <_<

I agree with you all! when i first saw the trailer for this I instantly though OMG they made a movie about city 17. If not a Haf-life movie than some kind of spinoff of something. As my 12 year old niece is getting more and more into the SyFy channel, i think this would be a great movie to take her to go and see this weekend.

Ah yes, I have trained the padawan well...that is of course until she discovers boys and no longer thinks i'm cool anymore <_<

You might want to rethink that...I believe it's "Rated R for pervasive bloody violence" or something like that...

Don't want the girl growin' up all desensitized an' shit, would we? :p

I too did not know anything about this movie until I saw some Posters when I went to see Transformers. Finally got myself to watch the trailers... watched them in order and holy crap! I am now way more excited for this than any other movie this season!

I have to say that for once, Hollywood is really playing the promotion game well with District 9. Columbia and Sony are really marketing this thing smartly rather than just hitting everyone over the head with the typical cliched "In a world where..." trailers and dumb crap. District 9 has been skillfully teased with posters and viral marketing, passed through word of mouth and disseminated over the net for months. It’s got this great print promotion, where you’ll see random posters and billboards of District 9 with a very eye-catching graphic design all over your city. It’s getting to the point of subliminal propagation. Almost everyone has seen something of District 9 for most of the year, but few know anything about it. It’s making the potential audience incredibly curious.

This latest trailer is filled with tension and suspense. I gotta say, for better or worse, the promotion for District 9 has really dug under my skin. I'm curious to see this film in spite of myself. Clever work.

I saw a "no aliens" sign at the theater where the guy takes your ticket as though it was to inform you that aliens are not allowed in to see a movie I thought that was pretty clever.

@ Ladic: I give a 5/5 for your avatar. :lol:

Edited by sharky

The MNU mercs in the movie had some pretty nice kit on them. Anyone know what the name of the white rifle MNU used? It looked like the Vektor or XM-8. Of course, the alien guns and the mech were just plain awesome as well.

Vektor CR-21, which makes sense since it's a South African gun and it's a South African movie made and set in South Africa.

Just saw it tonight-it's a fun flick with great death scenes and the mecha action is sweet.

The suit's HUD interface is very reminiscent of Macross' pilot's HUDs, and I loved the Itano circus-like missiles. I would've liked to have heard more about the sickness that brought the aliens to Earth, but aside from that I liked the story and the overall atmosphere.

I consider it a palate cleanser for the crap I've seen this summer.

Fantastic movie, but unsettling as well. I think a lot of what is truly wrong with human beings was put on display, and none of it was very far fetched, if at all.

There was definitely some fun to be had, but the wrongness of our attitudes towards these...people/beings/aliens was really sad. I don't think any movie I have seen, at least in recent memory, has made me want to cheer when humans get turned into red mist.

This and the new Trek were really the fantastic surprises of the year, and it was nice to see some good quality sci-fi.

FINALLY!! A summer movie flick that entertained my brain!

Great action and a fairly solid plot. See Hollywood: you don't necessarily have to dumb down your action flicks.

Thankfully, the film also isn't too heavy-handed with its social message either.

Gotta say District 9 and Up have been the two real stand-outs this summer.

Just wish they had given us a bit more info. (like how much time had passed) with District 9's epilogue.

I'd have to say my experience of the movie was marred by the really shaky camera. I think it didn't help that I had a hangover from last night as well and the shaky camera really made me wanna puke. >_<

But overall good film. Main char was really annoying. Mechwarrior-ish mech was awesome and had a full arsenal o weapons.

Too bad nothing much gets resolved by the end of the film.

I think the ending was very fitting.

There is no happy resolution for Wikus, the Prawns on earth or even the human race. All their futures remain uncertain. I don't think this was done for sequel reasons, more just to get people thinking. Quite frankly, Wikus was a pretty horrible person until he grows a pair in that mech and saves Christopher.

I think the ending was very fitting.

There is no happy resolution for Wikus, the Prawns on earth or even the human race. All their futures remain uncertain. I don't think this was done for sequel reasons, more just to get people thinking. Quite frankly, Wikus was a pretty horrible person until he grows a pair in that mech and saves Christopher.

Agreed. A weird sequel in which

Christopher returns to lay vengeance upon those evil humans would just diminish the greatness of the 1st film.

The only type of sequel that would be good in my opinion would be alien-style news documentary detailing wtf happened and made the ship land on Earth in the first place.... "now click click clack is here with the weather!"

Not much is said about alien psychology and i'm curious to know what happened to them.

Their leaders all died of disease or something.

Why don't they just go around shooting earth up to get their cat food rather than trading guns with dodgy Nigerian scammers? It was somewhat mentioned that they are almost mindless worker drones and Christopher and his son is somewhat a commander/hive-tyrant kinda alien which had more intelligence/initiative.

Its also a wonder that the floating space ship hasn't been turned into luxury resort or scavenged for technology and stuff....20 years is a long time for it to be just sitting around blocking out the sun.

Not much is said about alien psychology and i'm curious to know what happened to them.

Their leaders all died of disease or something.

Why don't they just go around shooting earth up to get their cat food rather than trading guns with dodgy Nigerian scammers? It was somewhat mentioned that they are almost mindless worker drones and Christopher and his son is somewhat a commander/hive-tyrant kinda alien which had more intelligence/initiative.

Its also a wonder that the floating space ship hasn't been turned into luxury resort or scavenged for technology and stuff....20 years is a long time for it to be just sitting around blocking out the sun.

In the original short film, a government guy mentions something about them being captive labor living in poor conditions. Rewatching the short film, I'm not sure if he was just asking a question (to himself) or asserting it as a fact.... If it is true, than the aliens were probably not professional soldiers/warriors. Maybe it was just 1 big ship with "undesirables" :p ... though the short film is probably not "canon" anymore.

Edited by Ghost Train

^^Regarding wolfx's question:

Considering the humans had problems using the weapons without Prawn DNA, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same reason why the humans couldn't glean any of the tech out of the mothership.

Who knows? Maybe the ship had some defensive weapons set up to keep the worker prawns from touching the more sensitive areas (engines, ship's weapons, communications, etc.). Probably would have kept the humans out of those areas too.

One thing that was also left up in the air was

what exactly was Christopher's mindset as he left Earth. Does he want to bring the dogs of war back and wreak hell on Earth?

Does he harbor distrust for Wikus after Wikus knocked him out and essentially left him for dead? Or did Wikus' actions in obtaining the fuel cell and preventing the command module from getting hit make up for all that?

Is Christopher really coming back to rescue the remaining Prawns? Or is it just enough that he and his child are going home, and he'll leave the remaining Prawns to their own fate?