Macross Mecha Manual Updated

Thank you for visiting and posting. It's good to hear all the love for the M3. I'm trying to put together another update as quick as I can. I've got some time so I'm working hard. We'll see how much I can get done before other duties call :)

Very good to see the web page on-line again... I've checked the new entries... So it is called Beatrice, well, I'm an armor modeller, it looks a lot like the B1 Centauro wheeled tank destroyer, even the same 105 mm gun:

m48-085.jpg

Very simmilar indeed.

Thanks for visiting. I can't remember if anyone said anything about a real world inspiration for the Beatrice, but that B1 Centaruo could very well be it. Personally, the Styker Mobile Gun was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw Macross Frontier.

Thanks for visiting. I can't remember if anyone said anything about a real world inspiration for the Beatrice, but that B1 Centaruo could very well be it. Personally, the Styker Mobile Gun was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw Macross Frontier.

Me too, but the problem I had with that conclusion was that I knew the Stryker was a much smaller vehicle than the Beatrice was shown to be.

Me too, but the problem I had with that conclusion was that I knew the Stryker was a much smaller vehicle than the Beatrice was shown to be.

The Stryker MGS really doesn't look anything like the Beatrice other than having 8 wheels and a 105mm gun. The strykers have a taller hull above the level of the wheel wells, and is less drastically slopped front.

Also the MGS has a much smaller turret (the gun and it's autoloader actually sit on top of a very shallow turret, with the crew sitting down in the hull of the vehicle.)

Were the pics for Mylene's valk changed recently? They look less accurate than what I remember from the last time I looked. RED "hair" and an aqua-green "headband" in battroid mode? Should be pink and pale blue. (headband and boobs should match--same color as Mylene's headband and the spheres on her concert uniform)

::edit:: Yup, found the earlier version on my hard drive. The overall paler colors are much better IMHO, but the head is wrong now---red and green simply aren't used on her valk. (and technically the upper-most segment of the speaker-boobs should be blue too)

Personally I've always figured the lightning on the canard was supposed to be two-toned yellow/bronze or yellow/mustard or something to indicate kind of a "gold" look, but I've seen one or two places interpret it as yellow/green. Don't know what the canon color is. The Wave kit says yellow/orange, Bandai has it all one shade of metallic yellow (not "gold").

PS---I think the small triangle on the chest should be deep yellow like the collar and ankles, not pink.

The VF-11MAXL Custom pictures were changed in May 2009. As I get more issues of the Macross Chronicle (or a fan submits better color reference), I've been updating profiles. Most of my original Macross 7 work was based off the original fansubs that had been floating around the internet since the mid-1990's. :)

The "red" on the head is merely the deep pink in shadow (note the other similarly colored shadow areas). Looking at my M7 remastered screen captures, the head band is indeed a "green" (or pale "teal"), but you're right that it should be more pale than the shade I've used (and the top of the breasts should match). You're also right about the yellow triangle. I'll make the fixes and upload the new versions. Just give me a bit.

EDIT Okay, work complete and uploaded. Be sure to REFRESH when revisiting.

Edited by Mr March

Glad you like it and thank you for the help.

Just to note, I will sometimes make different shading choices than art within the official Macross publications. From my understanding of the line art, VF-11MAXL "hair" appear as flat pieces almost as thin as "blades". These "blades" are resting nearly perpendicular to the face, with a slight curve inward. If light is striking the VF-11MAXL Battroid at 45° from right and 45° from horizon (a standard lighting assumption) the interior of the right "blade" would be fully shadowed while the left "blade" would be shadowed by the head unit itself. And since these pieces are flat, there will be almost no light bloom on the edges.

Edited by Mr March

Really an amazing website, the Macross MAHQ I'd say.

There are just some things that I'd like to ask:

1. The Destroid Monster mk I is missing from the Master List; actually I've no idea if there are more missing units.

2. Why the domain root (www.macross2.net) is still showing that message page rather than addressing (or at least linking) to the Macross Mecha Manual page?

There are just some things that I'd like to ask:

1. The Destroid Monster mk I is missing from the Master List; actually I've no idea if there are more missing units.

Well, as the one who actually does all the maintenance on M3 is Mr March, I'll have to leave that one to him. It might just be that it's something planned for a future update, or something he just forgot in the tidal wave of minor color corrections and the new articles and all that jazz.

2. Why the domain root (www.macross2.net) is still showing that message page rather than addressing (or at least linking) to the Macross Mecha Manual page?

Rather than beat around the bush, I'll just come right out and say it... my attention has been directed elsewhere. Between real-world drama I won't waste your time with, a change in the scope of the project that the site was intended for, and the most erect of dick moves by the hosting service provider, I never quite got around to finishing construction of the site as I had intended. Since I was already lending my Macross II knowledge to Mr March when the owner of the previous M3 location forgot to renew his hosting package and the site went 404, I figured since I had an underutilized and thoroughly undercapable server whose chief redeeming features were an absurd amount of storage space and an even more absurd amount of bandwidth, it'd be no imposition at all to let him use as much as he needed so that his site wouldn't disappear.

Basically, the site's being used as little more than an extremely low-spec mirror for M3 while I focus on unburying myself from a tidal wave of crap and will eventually be moving my project (and probably M3 as well) to a new hosting service and URL that isn't run by a bunch of pathologically dishonest, dyslexic chimpanzees. I just haven't had the time to remove the last of the prototype content for the old site and put up a redirect.

EDIT: I just realized my first sentence had halves of the same sentence phrased two different ways giving completely the wrong impression... it's fixed now.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Ahem, the site seems hosted on Yahoo so I must assume that they are chimpanzees, right?

If so I fully agree with you, I just tried opening my yahoo mail with my PSP and it does a truly stupid thing: first it will redirect me (automatically, no possible overriding) to m.yahoo.com then it will say that my browser isn't supported... they have an option to suggest your browser as a supported one but I don't think that I'm the first person ever doing that....

Edited by Hyper Shinchan

The Master List was actually missing four mecha, including the Monster Mk I from Macross Zero. I've corrected the issue and it will be fixed in the next update (which should be coming in about a month). Even though by chance I just happened to be aware of this error, thanks for posting about it. If you find any other errors, make sure to post them and I'll fix it. Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you enjoyed the site.

Ahem, the site seems hosted on Yahoo so I must assume that they are chimpanzees, right?

Indeed... the hosting package for Macross2.net was a good fit for my needs around six years ago when I was still almost totally inexperienced as a web designer and was only looking to run a basic website and forum on which I could host the Macross II RPG my friends and I were involved in. Now that my web design skills aren't so limited and the focus of the whole thing has long since changed to assembling the most complete reference for the parallel world continuity that Macross II inhabits, the hosting service's restrictive and hopelessly antiquated that it's pretty much useless for all but the most low tech of applications. At present, the server's configuration is so outdated that in another six months or so it won't even be able to run phpBB or Joomla... hence the need to move. Fortunately, M3 is low-tech enough to take full advantage of the package's few redeeming features without being unduly hindered by the missing functionality, and thus it seems to suit Mr March's needs well enough for the present.

I'll take care of the redirect thing at the root index later this evening.

(In the interest of fairness, Yahoo's customer service did promise to review my complaints and update their software accordingly... but we're approximately 18 months on from my initial request and nothing has really changed)

If so I fully agree with you

Somehow, this fails to surprise me...

Yahoo gives me the impression that they don't really need to improve their service since they won't able to surpass Google but they will probably retain their market share (but they are just too optimistic if they are really thinking that way).

Anyway thanks for taking care of the root index, the main reason that I think it should be fixed is because your domain scores as first for "macross2" and third (after wikipedia) for "Macross 2" thus it could really help increasing the number of people that will casually find M3 if they see the link in the root page.

The Master List was actually missing four mecha, including the Monster Mk I from Macross Zero. I've corrected the issue and it will be fixed in the next update (which should be coming in about a month). Even though by chance I just happened to be aware of this error, thanks for posting about it. If you find any other errors, make sure to post them and I'll fix it. Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you enjoyed the site.

I'm happy that you already knew about it (and you were aware of the other missing pages too).

One other thing that I noticed is that the VF-0D is lacking battroid linearts, is it because you're planning to color them with photoshop, right? But how do you do that? You simply look at the mecha and put a color that is similar? In older post (about VF-11 MAXL Custom) in this thread it looks like that ^_^

Edited by Hyper Shinchan

Yahoo gives me the impression that they don't really need to improve their service since they won't able to surpass Google but they will probably retain their market share (but they are just too optimistic if they are really thinking that way).

Whatever their particular shortcomings, they'll be someone else's problem soon.

I'm happy that you already knew about it (and you were aware of the other missing pages too).

One other thing that I noticed is that the VF-0D is lacking battroid linearts, is it because you're planning to color them with photoshop, right? But how do you do that? You simply look at the mecha and put a color that is similar? In older post (about VF-11 MAXL Custom) in this thread it looks like that ^_^

He's aware of it, trust me... one of the first things I did after he uploaded M3 to Macross2.net was do a complete inventory of links to make sure we didn't have anything broken. The absence of VF-0D battroid art is a known issue, and presumably one that will be corrected either once we find some decent line art image stock or Chronicle goes out of print, whichever happens first, due to that informal agreement most of us have not to publish scans of Chronicle while it's still being sold.

Insofar as coloring goes, the process tends to involve tedious examination of the animation and existing line art stock, and rather a lot of checking and double-checking until he's sure it's correct. This is made somewhat irritating by the lack of good color and black-and-white line art for Macross Zero and Macross Frontier... and Chronicle's occasional inexplicable deviation/correction of the existing color scheme. It's basically just coloring the basic pattern and shading, and then tweaking the colors until they look "just right". Since my collection of Macross Chronicle is more complete than Mr March's (for the time being) and I'm the one with virtually every Macross II book and magazine at my disposal, lately we tend to end up exchanging .gif images over MSN while we're doing color checking.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The coloring is done in Photoshop CS using layers and the multiply feature. Most colored art files I build have 6-10 layers on average and range from about 3-10 megs in size. I only use high resolution line art scans and typically work with an image that is no less than 2,500-3,000 pixels in it's largest dimension. High res scans make coloring easier and ensures the art always looks sharp and detailed when scaling it down to the typical 800-900 pixel size seen on the M3. Working in high res is also a wise future investment. With many business and home computer users quickly adopting the new 1920 x 1200 high definition standard, my high res sources files will allow the M3 to remain current as monitor resolutions increase in the years ahead.

The VF-0D has simply been one of many difficult to obtain pieces of M0 line art. The FRONT VIEW BATTROID mode of the VF-0D has been particularly rare in print and has appeared frustratingly small on the page even when printed. Zinjo recently helped me obtain many more M0 drawings (that will appear in the next update), but even still I lack certain high res scans of M0 mecha including the VF-0D Front View Battroid.

As long time visitors of the M3 can attest, accurate coloring of the Macross mecha is an ongoing, evolving process. Accurate online color reference for the Macross mecha is almost non-existent due largely to poor quality pictures suffering from saturation/contrast/compression problems. Even print color reference for Macross was rare, up until the publication of the Macross Chronicle. As Seto has mentioned, we work together on most MII mecha and he has also aided me with several other Macross mecha, typically relying on the Macross Chronicle as defacto reference.

Edited by Mr March

The VF-0D linearts that has been uploaded to archivescans is roughly 1900x3400 (the battroid part of the page) but I'm almost sure that actually you've already seen it, I'll upload it just in case.

scan003m.th.jpg

P.S.: I can't upload the file using the attachments menu, I've tried it twice but it doesn't seem to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very glad the site got a new adress and the downtime was short.

Btw, don't want to be a bother here Mr. March but could you add the Queadluun-Nona from the Macross Do You Remember Love? 90s videogame to the Games & Advanced section sometime in the future? It's an excellent Zentradi/Meltrandi design by Miyatake Kazutaka... B))

post-7862-1270864267_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1270864293_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I was wondering if anybody had a large black and white front pic of the SV-51. There are large colored ones at the Mech Manuel, and large black and white ones of the back and side, but there is not one for the front.

Thanks for all the work in putting together there pics and the info for Macross!

Thank you for the submission caaasasasas, but I already have that line art (thanks to Zinjo for the submission) and it will appear in the next update. Nonetheless, I appreciate the submissions and thank you (and all other fans) for helping me.

• 1 month later...

May 26, 2010

Major Update - The Zentradi Invasion!

Today a Zentradi-themed update to the Macross Mecha Manual is complete and features 27 new profiles. The focus of this latest update is new Zentradi artwork as well as new Macross Chronicle trivia and numerous other corrections/revisions.

A concerted effort was made in this update to improve the VF-25 Messiah profiles in the Macross Frontier section. The inclusion of revised color art, additional black and white line art, color code transformation guides and fighter schematics should elevate the VF-25 Messiah profiles to a level that equals the comprehensive format of the other hero Valkyries featured on the Macross Mecha Manual.

As the many temporary Zentradi-themed banners and buttons would indicate, this update also features a major overhaul of many Zentradi vehicles and mecha. The special theme will draw attention to the newly colored Zentradi mecha and hopefully the improved art helps maintain the uniqueness of the Macross Mecha Manual. The many Zentradi-style graphics on the website will be featured for only a short while after which the Macross Mecha Manual will revert to its traditional appearance. Enjoy!

SDF Macross Section

VF-1J Super Valkyrie GERWALK "Max"

VF-1J Super Valkyrie GERWALK "Milia"

Macross Zero Section

VF-0A Phoenix "Shin"

Macross Plus Section

VF-17D Nightmare

Macross Frontier Section

VF-25F APS-25A/MF25 Armored Messiah

VF-25F Super Messiah Fold Booster

Macross Game & Advanced Valkyrie Section

Queadluun-Nona

Macross II Section

GERWALKroid

Mardook Grave Battleship

Mardook Shuttle

VA-1SS Metal Siren

VA-1SS Metal Siren Replica

More Mecha Section

AV-98 Ingram Reactive Armor

LED Mirage (Mirage B Type)

Knight of Gold (Mirage D Type)

RX-78NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex"

RX-78NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex" (Hajime Katoki Version)

MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

MS-18E Kämpfer

MSN-04 Sazabi

MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam

RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis"

RX-93 ν Gundam

For Fans Only Section

Knight of Silver (Mirage D Type)

The Dark Knight (Mirage D Type)

RX-78NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex" (Alfred Izuruha Type)

RX-78NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex" (Amuro Type)

RX-78NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex" (Titan Colors)

Macross Chronicle Information

ALL VF-0 profiles

SV-51

SV-51 Booster

Nousjadeul-Ger

Gnerl

Re-Entry Pod

Salvage Ship

RC-4E Rabbit

Nousjadeul-Ger (Film Version)

VF-4 Lightning III

Megaroad-01 Class

VA-3 Invader

ALL VF-11 profiles site-wide

YF-19

YF-21

SB-10/10 Starwing

X-9 Ghost

Zentradi "Enemy" Battle Suit

VA-3C Invader

VA-3C Invader Custom

VA-3M Invader

VF-9 Cutlass

VF-14 Vampire (Macross 7 P*L*U*S Version)

VF-19A Excalibur

Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis Class Stealth Fleet Command Battleship

VF-19F Excalibur

VF-19S Excalibur

VF-19S Super Excalibur

VF-19 Excalibur Custom

VF-19 Excalibur Custom "Sound Booster"

VF-19P Excalibur

Fz-109A Elgerzorene

Fz-109F Elgerzorene

RVF-171 Nightmare Plus

VF-171 Nightmare Plus

VF-171EX Nightmare Plus

VF-171EX Super Nightmare Plus

Island Cluster Class Colonization Ship (Macross 25/Macross Frontier)

Macross Class SDFN-4 Global

VF-27 Lucifer

Neo-Glaug

Variable Glaug

Variable Glaug UN

VF-14 Vampire (Macross M3 Version)

Additions/Corrections

Complete Revision of the "Icons of Mecha" profiles, now moved to a dedicated page titled More Mecha. All profiles have been revised, the Patlabor, Nausicaä and Cowboy Bebop colored art have all been improved and new profiles have been added for The Five Star Stories and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Revised all text-based pages (Updates, FAQ, Books, etc) with new HTML tables that format all paragraphs to no more than 1,000 pixels in width. While this new code does increase vertical scrolling it should make reading the website much easier, especially for those users operating with the new high definition standard (1,920 x 1,200) wide screen monitors.

Added 1 new Macrosspedia entries (Model Numbers)

Added new banner for Master List of Macross Mecha section

Added new banner for More Mecha section

Added the article VF-19 Excalibur Engines in the Macross Chronicle to the Analysis subsection of the For Fans Only section

Moved the VF-17T Nightmare profile to the Macross Plus section owing to new details revealed about its debut (thanks to Sean L. for the trivia and screenshot)

Revised ALL Index Pages site wide

Revised ALL custom schematic pictures by Talos in the For Fans Only section

Revised the Macrosspedia Page

Revised the Color Code Transformation Guides Page

Revised the Zentradi and Mecha Size Comparison Chart

Revised the Size Comparison Chart Macross Battroids

Revised the Size Comparison Chart Macross Fighters

Revised the SDF Macross Banner

Revised the Macross Frontier Banner

Revised the Macross Game & Advanced Valkyrie Banner

Revised ADR-03-Mk III Destroid Cheyenne (color)

Revised VF-0A Phoenix line art (color)

Revised VF-0A Phoenix Angel line art (color)

Revised QF-2001 Ghost line art (color)

Revised MBR-07 Destroid Spartan Mk II (color and schematics)

Revised ALL VF-1 profiles (deleted internal line art and properly placed one internal picture in VF-1S Super Valkyrie profile)

Revised VF-1A Max (colored Max in disguise)

Revised VF-1D "Virgin Road" Valkyrie (profile note)

Revised VF-X line art (color and line art)

Revised VF-X-4 line art (color and line art)

Revised Macross Class SDF-1 (line art)

Revised F203 Dragon II line art (color)

Revised Glaug (color, schematic 3-view)

Revised Glaug Power Up (color and line art)

Revised Nousjadeul-Ger (color and schematics)

Revised Queadluun-Rau (color)

Revised Reguld (color)

Revised Gnerl (color)

Revised Re-Entry Pod (color)

Revised Salvage Ship (color)

Revised Nousjadeul-Ger (Film Version, color)

Revised Reguld (Film Version, color)

Revised RC-4E Rabbit (line art)

Revised Queadluun-Rau (Film Version, color)

Revised Golg Gant Charts (color)

Revised Light Transport Boat (color)

Revised Zentradi Shuttle (Film Version, color)

Revsied VF-11B Super Thunderbolt (color)

Revised VF-5000B Star Mirage (line art)

Revised YF-19 Prototype No. 1 (all colors)

Revised YF-21 Prototype No. 1 (all colors)

Revised Zentradi "Enemy" Battle Suit (color)

Revised ALL VF-11C Super/Aerospace/Armored Thunderbolt profiles (color)

Revised ALL VF-19 Excalibur profiles (color and line art)

Revised ALL VF-5000 G and T-G Star Mirage profiles (color)

Revised Fz-109A Elgerzorene (gun pod color and line art)

Revised Fz-109F Elgerzorene (fighter line art)

Revised Queadluun-Rau Chlore and Chlore Fleet (color)

Revised VT-1C Commercial Valkyrie "Holly" (color)

Revised Queadluun-Rhea (all colors and rear view)

Revised RVF-25 Messiah line art (All colors)

Revised RVF-25 Super Messiah line art (All colors)

Revised VF-25G Messiah line art (All colors)

Revised VF-25G Super Messiah line art (All colors)

Revised VF-25S Super Messiah line art (Battroid color and fighter rear line art)

Revised VB-6 König Monster (SMS Type, shuttle color)

Revised Macross Quarter (Warship Mode)

Revised VF-27 Lucifer Green (All colors)

Revised AIF-9V Ghost Fighter (color)

Revised VF-2SS Valkyrie II (schematic line art)

Revised Gloria (color and line art)

Revised Variable Fighter/Powered Armor (line art)

Revised Zentradi Powered Suit (color)

Line Art Added to VF-1D Virgin Road Valkyrie (schematic)

Line Art Added to VF-1J GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie (schematics)

Line Art Added to ARMD Class Carrier (color and line art)

Line Art Added to ADR-04 Destroid Defender Mk X (schematics)

Line Art Added to SDR-04 Destroid Phalanx Mk XII (Blue Variant and Screen Capture, submitted by Richard Pollard)

Line Art Added to Reguld (3-view)

Line Art Added to SC-27 Star Goose (another white color and new dark color)

Line Art Added to VC-33 Mom's Kitchen (color)

Line Art Added to VC-27 Tunny (color)

Line Art Added to VF-1S Super Valkyrie (complete internals line art)

Line Art Added to VF-1A Super Valkyrie (complete internals line art)

Line Art Added to VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (complete internals line art)

Line Art Added to Destroid Cheyenne

Line Art Added to Destroid Monster Mk I (Color and line art)

Line Art Added to VF-0D Phoenix (schematic)

Line Art Added to VF-0D Phoenix Shin (revised fighter and added schematic)

Line Art Added to VF-4 Lightning III (line art)

Line Art Added to VF-0A Phoenix Angel (color armed version and micro-missiles)

Line Art Added to VF-0A Phoenix (battroid rear view, fighter, GERWALK views and head unit)

Line Art Added to VF-0D Phoenix (battroid rear view, fighter and GERWALK views)

Line Art Added to VF-0S Phoenix (head unit)

Line Art Added to VF-0A Phoenix (Color Code Transformation Guide)

Line Art Added to VF-5000B Star Mirage (in Macross Plus and G&A sections, ALL colors)

Line Art Added to Northampton Class Stealth Frigate (bridge)

Line Art Added to VF-17D Nightmare (cockpit open in Battroid mode)

Line Art Added to Macross 7 Transport Craft (Battroid Carrier type)

Line Art Added to Bishop Class Vajra Mothership

Line Art Added to RVF-25 Messiah line art (line art)

Line Art Added to RVF-25 Super Messiah (line art)

Line Art Added to VF-25F Messiah (schematics, Color Code Transformation Guide and line art)

Line Art Added to VF-25F Super Messiah (line art)

Line Art Added to VF-25G Super Messiah (line art)

Line Art Added to VF-25S Messiah (schematics and Color Code Transformation Guide)

Line Art Added to VF-25S Super Messiah (line art)

Line Art Added to QF-4000 (AIF-7S) Ghost Fighter (SMS Type and NUNS Type, line art)

Line Art Added to VF-171 Nightmare Plus (line art)

Line Art Added to YF-24 Evolution (dorsal schematic)

Line Art Added to Destroid Defender EX (line art)

Line Art Added to Destroid Giant Monster (line art)

Line Art Added to Destroid Phalanx Custom (line art)

Line Art Added to Destroid Tomahawk II (line art)

Line Art Added to VF-2SS Valkyrie II (head unit)

Enjoy :)

Do you by any chance have access to a pretty much straight forward line art of a VF-1 in battroid mode? I want to compare the VF-1 battroid to toys being released but the only line art I could find was at an angle looking down at the battroid and it's essentially in an impossible to obtain pose.

I'm unaware of the existence of any dead center Battroid schematics for the VF-1 Valkyrie. I've never seen them in any Macross book I own or in any online picture. Best one could do is build a Battroid by arranging the various pieces of the VF-1 Fighter mode schematics drawn by Kawamori (or use the schematics from the TIAS Macross Plus book). AFAIK, the closest a VF-1 Battroid toy has ever come to proportions appearing like the actual "animation" itself is the Revoltech, but that toy suffers from its highly visible joint system. Following that, the Hasegawa Battroid model is the best "compromise" proportions of the VF-1 (and IMO, looks the best the VF-1 Battroid has EVER looked in a physical product).

There is a small size chart that shows a rough version of the VF-1 Battroid, but the proportions appear a little bizarre. I'll attach the picture below. Hope it helps.

post-114-12748987022_thumb.gif