• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Thanks, @sh9000.  It sucks that we have to pay $100 to get one new figure, but it would cost that much to import an individual Ash from Europe anyway... :angry:

Expect eBay to be flooded with Kane (in both 35th anniversary and 40th anniversary packaging). <_<

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, reddsun1 said:

Cool nerf gun.  I suppose if you really wanted to go gonzo with your memorabilia, you could do like this guy...

https://www.tk560.com/m41a.html

All he had to do was get his Federal Tax stamp and he could have made that a legal functional gun. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler!

He says he estimates it at $1000. I'd give him $2000 to build me one tomorrow. I'd pay the $200 and get my BATF tax stamp though so it could really shoot.:D

On 8/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, sqidd said:

All he had to do was get his Federal Tax stamp and he could have made that a legal functional gun. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler!

He says he estimates it at $1000. I'd give him $2000 to build me one tomorrow. I'd pay the $200 and get my BATF tax stamp though so it could really shoot.:D

As cool as a pulse rifle looks I bet it would be heavy AF just like the original props were. I'd save my money for a Black Aces Tactical bullpup shotgun :)

anyone picked up a copy of Fireteam Elite? I got mine with a whopping 40+ gig installation and update which gave me 15 minutes worth of time to play before I needed to get off and get ready for bed. I have not played Left 4 Dead or any of the games this ones mechanics are based around....the character creation is super limited, but the graphics overall are good. The NPCs thus far are rather lacking in animation...I mean I'm watching a mission briefing and they're not moving their mouths just talking with their minds I guess.
The audio is great, lots of authentic based sounds which is more than I can say for the ol' audio dramas by Dirk Maggs. But...I'm encountering really dumb Xenos, like along the level of intelligence we saw with Colonial Marines. They're somewhat glitching into cover spaces and objects a number of times resulting in being damaged by them if I get just a little to close. 
By the time I got maybe a third of the way done with the first missions campaign I said, "Nah I'm done for now."  

Aliens: Fireteam Elite looks like they took the combat from the Mass Effect series and none of the rpg elements or world building.

The difficulty of this game is wonky too. Casual mode is super easy barely an inconvienience, while the "intense" mode the game recommends as how the game is meant to be played gets obnoxious quite quickly. You get attacked by swarms of the doggie alien from Alien 3 which are hardly a threat mixed with occasional specials like spitters, bursters which are midly obnoxious, but the ones based on the Big Chap and Warrior from the films are downright unfair. They will literally pop up out of nowhere(not even out of a vent or door) run by you at two hundred mph hit you for over half your health then run away again while taking over two thirds of your ammo to put one down.

This gets old fast which is why the game switches gears and starts throwing Weylan Yutani synthetics at you and the game becomes a generic cover shooter. Honestly this is not a game you probably want to play by yourself, and there can definately be some fun had trying to survive with friends, but this just feels shallow with artifically scaled difficulty to lengthen the gameplay experience.

9 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'm tempted, but I prefer my Alien to be more Alien-like and less Aliens-like.  I like my scary, solitary hunter more than I like cannon-fodder zerg rush Aliens.

The opposite for me, I hated the part in Aliens Colonial Marines where I had to sneak past those alien husks to avoid the King (or whatever he was called again). Give me myriads of enemies, but sneaking and being rushed just annoy me.

My fave AVP experience is still that sweet spot in the marine campaign in AVP2,  where the game just keeps sending the xenowarriors if you stay there. This is a lot of fun if you have used the cheat code to morph into the predator, and are using the plasma castor with auto-targeting.😁

At the same place there's a box thing you can jump on where they all surround you. It's dark enough that you can actually see the red targeting dots in the visible spectrum and the xenos explode so satisfyingly in clouds of blue plasma. ☺️

Edited by Podtastic

• 2 weeks later...

I watched an overly long YouTube video a while back that made the comparison of how bad the predator movie is based on how stupid it’s mouth is. In the first one it’s mouth isn’t overly exaggerated and holds together and would probably be able to drink without spilling and made the clicking sounds with the teeth. By the end of the video and many films later the mouth is so ridiculous it can’t even close properly and the clicking sounds come from nowhere and he probably dribbles everywhere when he goes for a drink.

It's really sad, the mess that was made with the Predator.

A big part of it was changing the simple but very workable premise, that of an alien hunter coming to earth to hunt the most dangerous game, to the Predators being gene collecting freaks.

The former has so much potential if you think about all the savage carnivores that have roamed the earth, and all the different military forces and conflicts there have been throughout the earth's history.

The latter just sucks. Going around collecting the DNA of a clearly slower, weaker and dumber species to modify your own is beyond retarded...its also tasteless.

Edited by Podtastic

From what I remember the Predator Dark Ages fan film is better than any recent Predator movie. I'm talking anything after Predator 2. I consider Predator and Predator 2 the only good movies in the series.

I guess the idea for the new movie is ok with wanting a female hero. It's really nothing new for anime fans though. Just for modern audiences. What they need to do is resist the urge to make everything bigger. I think after Predator 2, every Predator was getting bigger or like that Alien/Predator mix. Which honestly I never liked the idea of the Alien hybrids even though I know the original Alien had the human skull in the dome.

23 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

From what I remember the Predator Dark Ages fan film is better than any recent Predator movie. I'm talking anything after Predator 2. I consider Predator and Predator 2 the only good movies in the series.

I guess the idea for the new movie is ok with wanting a female hero. It's really nothing new for anime fans though. Just for modern audiences. What they need to do is resist the urge to make everything bigger. I think after Predator 2, every Predator was getting bigger or like that Alien/Predator mix. Which honestly I never liked the idea of the Alien hybrids even though I know the original Alien had the human skull in the dome.

Predator Dark Ages is pretty good for what it is. Also that Dead End Batman vs Predator vs Aliens short.

The funny thing is when you mentioned  Predator having a heroine I automatically thought how cool it would be to have a female predator. Cos I just naturally thing of the Predator as the movies' hero.😇

Hybrids and female heroines are nothing new for Aliens and Predator fans either, their all over the novels and comics. The original AVP had Machiko Noguchi, and if they had followed that GN's plot, AVP would have been great. That, and if they gave the Predator's their speed and acrobatic agility back - mysteriously missing in action the whole movie.🤔

Hybrids can also be interesting (not that thing from the predator). In Batman vs Aliens there was the Crocodilian Alien, and in Aliens the Destroying Angels their was an Alien-Spacejockey Hybrid.

Some of the novels/GNs would make pretty cool movies, their mostly (at least the pre-millennium ones) in the spirit and the original Aliens and Predator movies.

Also, why does it have to be live action? With good quality animation there could be a really kickass Predator, Aliens or Aliens vs Predator movie.

Edited by Podtastic

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Predator Dark Ages is pretty good for what it is. Also that Dead End Batman vs Predator vs Aliens short.

The funny thing is when you mentioned  Predator having a heroine I automatically thought how cool it would be to have a female predator. Cos I just naturally thing of the Predator as the movies' hero.😇

Hybrids and female heroines are nothing new for Aliens and Predator fans either, their all over the novels and comics. The original AVP had Machiko Noguchi, and if they had followed that GN's plot, AVP would have been great. That, and if they gave the Predator's their speed and acrobatic agility back - mysteriously missing in action the whole movie.🤔

Hybrids can also be interesting (not that thing from the predator). In Batman vs Aliens there was the Crocodilian Alien, and in Aliens the Destroying Angels their was an Alien-Spacejockey Hybrid.

Some of the novels/GNs would make pretty cool movies, their mostly (at least the pre-millennium ones) in the spirit and the original Aliens and Predator movies.

Also, why does it have to be live action? With good quality animation there could be a really kickass Predator, Aliens or Aliens vs Predator movie.

That Batman vs Predator vs Aliens fan film was from a long time ago. But I recently watched from the same director I think a Batman vs Joker short film which was good. And I have his Batman vs Killer Croc short film to watch.

Predator as the hero? I remember seeing Predator in theaters not knowing what to expect but a good Arnold movie. So the Predator surprise was scary to me.

I do remember liking that Alien vs Predator comic. I still have it somewhere. I liked the setup to the first Alien vs Predator movie. I thought it was going to be good from those opening scenes. Thinking about it. That opening is kind of similar to Prometheus. But once they get to the temple in Alien vs Predator it kind of falls apart. I do like the actress in it though.

Maybe if they attempt another Alien vs Predator they can use the Machiko Noguchi character. That's another chance for them to get an Asian female leading role. I was tempted to get the statue Sideshow made of her. But they gave her the Sideshow tan that many of their statues got in production back in those days. I guess there is the chance Kotobukiya might attempt to make her one day.

You've read more Aliens and Predator stories than I have. I think the Alien vs Predator comic was it for me.

Did you see these commission posters from a while ago?

Predator_REG_photo.jpg

Predator_VAR_photo.jpg

Prime 1 Studio is making a bunch of Predator and Aliens statues as well. Tops being the 1/3 scale Predator that is comparable if not a remake or upgrade of the Cinemaquette version.

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

That Batman vs Predator vs Aliens fan film was from a long time ago

It was just made  now in 2003.😄

Predator as the hero?

Not the "hero" perhaps, but at least the protagonist. I've played enough pc/play station as the predator, and also read enough of the novels where things are narrated from their perspective, to get them.

Leaving the Predator and Predator Forever Midnight ( two distortions of the mythos) aside, the Predators are easy to understand and relate to.  They have kind of the same psychology  as people who climb mountains or engage in extreme competitive sporting activities. They are filled with a spirit of adventure and a yearning to test themselves.

Its just that their "sport" is a mortal blood sport involving hunting. Merely hunting docile prey isn't enough of a challenge, the prey must be a threat or there is no element of personal risk. The greatest risk is of course hunting intelligent prey, particularly if they have developed advanced weaponry.

Its a great game. One they have played throughout the galaxy against all manner of dangerous prey.

So they have developed rules for the game in a a kind of honour system, or code of behaviour ,that you can pick up right from the first film - another reason why The Predator sucked - they through all that out the window.

Humans fit their hunting needs so perfectly - aggressive, intelligent, organised, and possessing strange but interesting weapons.

And to top it off Hunters have died here, which just ups the prestige of trophies from here.

But once they get to the temple in Alien vs Predator it kind of falls apart

The one thing I did like was the start of Celtic Predator vs Alien battle. I would have enjoyed that if they hadn't treated the two of them like superheroes that can bash down stone massive stone walls.

Maybe if they attempt another Alien vs Predator they can use the Machiko Noguchi character. That's another chance for them to get an Asian female leading role

Happy to have a asian female leading character, provided its not JUST TO HAVE AN ASIAN FEMALE leading character BECAUSE WE HAVE TO FILL THIS QUOTA . I hate those exclusionary ID politics.

You've read more Aliens and Predator stories than I have. I think the Alien vs Predator comic was it for me.

Not sure whether your tastes are similar enough to mine but here are just a sample list of the ones I enjoyed:

Comics/Graphics

AVP 

AVP Xenogenesis

AVPVT

Aliens Outbreak

Aliens Stronghold

Aliens Tribes

Aliens  Apocalypse the Destroying Angels

Batman vs Aliens

Predator Concrete Jungle

Predator Big Game

Predator Bad Blood

Batman vs Predator 2: Bloodmatch

Predator Strange Roux

Predator Demon's Gold

Predator Xenogenesis

Novels:

Aliens vs Predator: Prey

Aliens vs Predator: Hunter's Planet

Alien

Aliens

Aliens Earth Hive

Aliens Nightmare Asylum

Aliens the Female War

Aliens Genocide

Aliens Berserker

Aliens Music of the Spears

Predator 2

Predator Concrete jungle

Predator Big Game

Predator South China Sea

(I have most of the later novels but have not gotten around to reading them yet.)

Did you see these commission posters from a while ago?

Nope.

Prime 1 Studio is making a bunch of Predator and Aliens statues as well. Tops being the 1/3 scale Predator that is comparable if not a remake or upgrade of the Cinemaquette version.

Prime 1 is really nice but its too expensive. 1/3 is also too big.

I'm already running out of space. The Side Show Predator Maquette was large and expensive enough for me. My only regret was that I did not get one with the faceplate option.

Edited by Podtastic

24 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Aleien vs Evangelion. Just throwing that out there.

I'd be into some EVA sized Xenomorphs.:D

That would be very interesting.

Or how about Zentraedi vs Aliens?

Or HG Wells War of the Worlds Martians vs Aliens? Martian Tripod fighting machines whooshing hordes of aliens with their heat rays.😃

Edited by Podtastic