What do you guys use to make fansubs into dvd's?

http://avs4you.com/

Just pay the money to buy it, and then you'll have ALL of their utilities. Its very handy. Actually, I use it more to convert fansubs into F4V format to watch on my iPod. Those will get you the most bang for your buck - which'll be about $65, if I recall correctly.

But I typically use CleanerXL to make my DVD files, Photoshop to build my own menu elements, Adobe Audition for my menu music cuts, then build the DVD in Adobe Encore 2.0. Those'll run you some real $$, though. (They're more worthwhile for me, though, since I use them a lot for studio work.)

Ok I got the AVS4u. I would like to try and shrink the size of the episodes so I could fit more on the disc. The standard play would let me do 10 episodes on a dvd. To shrink them more before I convert to dvd would I have to turn them into another format first?

I think that a thread like this one needs to be pinned and used as a permanent forum for technical issues relating to getting Macross onto DVD, as I am sure that many of us have no end of problems getting stuff onto DVD into a reliable format.

So much of the software and the files we have to use are all over the place. And THEN, on top of all that, some DVD players do not work well with home-made DVD's. Very frustrating, D'OH!

Taksraven

If you're running Vista, you have a crappy, though workable, DVD maker available for you.

If you knew how to incorporate the CCCP pack into the Microsoft DVD Maker, then you wouldn't posted that comment.

I can choose to either use subtitles or no subtitles when encoding the files to burn. The trick is to find the mkv file that has English subtitles. So far I have found two versions.....

I do have vista. Brand new computer. I was playing with the dvd burner and was able to select subtitles on the first one but on the second one I tried to burn it just went straight to the episode with no option for subtitles. They are all from the same subber. Is it something Im doing before burning that does that?

ok well i think avs4you messed up my downloads. I couldnt get the subtitles to work with it an now my videos dont have sound. Ifigured out why they didnt have subtitles. I used convert x to dvd the first time and it kept everything intact.

This is aggravating. Might just be easier to learn japanese.

Edited by ErikElvis

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys use to make dvds from downloads. I downloaded a free one but it puts a watermark on the video. I guess Im going to have to pay for one. What are the better ones out there?

Thanks,

Erik

I Download from Veoh using my realplayer program then burn it onto disk using realplayer then I upload and edit with Adobe Premier and put your own personal touch i.e. menu design, titles, photos. Of course you have to purchase the realplayer premium burning software before burning.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Why not just output the signal from your pc direct to the tv via a 360 or something similar wirelesslyor just running a cable between the two and using the tv as a second monitor? I do that with with my Sharp Aquos and have not needed to buy a blank DVD since.

But then again, I also bought all of Mac F on Bluray too. Now THAT is some GORGEOUS looking animation :-D

What about patching an ISO of a DVD release? I was thinking of doing this for DYRL and Kara no Kyoukai (ok, not Macross, but AWESOME) and I wanted to get the ISOs, then convert the ASS or whatever files from the MKVs I have into sub files, and then patch them into the ISO, burn it, and then have a happy burned high quality DVD that i can not only see on any player, but without any video degradation. Being able to lend them out to my non-techie friends is also good.

Ok I got the AVS4u. I would like to try and shrink the size of the episodes so I could fit more on the disc. The standard play would let me do 10 episodes on a dvd. To shrink them more before I convert to dvd would I have to turn them into another format first?

You really would not want to do that. Remember that you're already adding more lossy compression. The TV/DVD/Blu-ray files were lossy compressed to begin with, then more was added to fansub them, now you're adding more to make them DVD compatible. On top of that, you're using a really crappy codec for the final product, Ten episodes is already a putrid amount to start with, especially if you're only using a DVD5. That's already less than 500 megabytes of ancient mpeg-2 compression space. So you're looking at a really dismal bitrate which should suffer from astounding macroblocking. You do want these watchable right? You're approaching HK DVD bootleg standards. I used to convert things to VCD all the time, and they looked like crap.

If you're seriously going to do this, I would put the minimum number of episodes on the disc. No more than four. Mpeg-2 is a really old, inefficient codec, and needs all the room it can get.

I personally have a laptop and just plug it directly into my TV. Though you'd need a digital one for that. If you have a PS3 or 360, I here Tversity works well for streaming. Though they still need to be compatible files, which means you can't use MKV goodness.

I also am amazed at the mentioning of realplayer, and actually paying for it. Realplayer's basically been garbage since the nineties. Combined with a streaming source, I can't imagine those looking too hot (at least by my standards and experience). Though whatever works for you I suppose. ^_^

My God man, what on earth are you doing then!? If you're TV has HDMI input, go to a BigLots, get a 10 bucks cable, and plug it in directly. They'll look absolutely great with next to no effort. If it's got VGA input like my LOEWE does, do the same and get an a double RCA jack for the audio. If it has none of these, convert to a PS3/360 compatible format at generous filesize. Subs are rather tricky though. Again, check Doom9.

Still, if you have a digital TV (and if not, get yourself a Plasma), hooking up your laptop is the way to go. My fansubs look better than DVDs usually.

As for a hard copy, burn them off as data discs using Nero or a similar program.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus