Toy Imports and the Swine Flu Pandemic

Cyclone Trooper

C'mon now. Everybody knows the best weapons to use against zombies are:

* LP records (especially Sade ones); and

* Cricket bats!

:p

A minigun would work great if you had the rounds. Hows a zombie going to get you if its cut in half by bullets?

Miniguns only work well when mounted on a vehicle or a building.

They are far too heavy to man-carry. While a person could manage the gun itself, you could not carry the batteries plus a reasonable supply of ammo as well.

Anyway, in a post-apocalyptic scenario, ammo may be in short supply and miniguns are real ammo hogs.

Graham

There's a hotel near my office where the HK Government has quarrantined all 300 guests and staff for 1 week, after a Mexican guest staying there became HK's first confirmed case of the Mexican Swine Flu.

Just waiting for them to all turn into flesh eating zombies any day now.

Graham

C'mon now. Everybody knows the best weapons to use against zombies are:

* LP records (especially Sade ones); and

* Cricket bats!

:p

only in England, if they're real zombies. if it's England and they run, you're f**ked.

They are far too heavy to man-carry.

Graham

And all that crap you listed isn't :wacko:

Learn to shoot & reload quickly and a 10mm Para Ordnance is all you'll ever need.

One thing to remember that you'll have to use sub-sonic ammo with the 9's if you want the suppressor to work (which reduces their zombie wacking power) and for the suppressor to work properly you have a pistol with a locked breech (which gives you a single shot, once again not the ideal zombie horde wacker) or a delayed blow back action.

Just go full loud which the 10mm does quite nicely B))

Learn to shoot & reload quickly and a 10mm Para Ordnance is all you'll ever need.

One thing to remember that you'll have to use sub-sonic ammo with the 9's if you want the suppressor to work (which reduces their zombie wacking power) and for the suppressor to work properly you have a pistol with a locked breech (which gives you a single shot, once again not the ideal zombie horde wacker) or a delayed blow back action.

Heh, I can actually reload pretty fast (or used to be able to). I used to be a very active IPSC competitor before my son was born.

I love the 10mm round, but wouldn't choose it due to limited availabilty. If I did go with a 10mm, I'd go with a Glock 20 in 10mm not a Para. Seen too many Paras go down to ever really trust one.

The loadout I mentioned is manageable with decend load bearing gear. Certainly many troops are carrying more in terms of sheer weight.

Two guns minimum are a must, in case of parts breakage or a stoppage that can't be instantly cleared with a 'tap-rack-bang' or other immediate action drill.

There are certainly many modern surpressors that work just fine on locked breach pistols and allow the pistol to cycle just fine in semi automatic. I used to be in law enforcement arms sales, so this is an area I do have some experience with.

And I repeat, a minigun is only man-portable in the Predator movie or if it's an airsoft minigun, not in real life.

Graham

Can tell you've been a law enforcement arms seller, you're Glock washed ;)

I've used and been involved in testing many firearms in my checkered career and been competitive in IPSC at an national level for longer than I care to remember (mainly standard, race is for those that can't shoot :o ) and good old Mr Browning's children will do me any day :)

If I had to have a 9 it'd be either a Hi-power or a CZ75. I'm sure the zombies would appreciate being shot by a classy weapon instead a piece of tupperware :p

I'd like to hang out with you in a zombie outbreak, you can distract them by being eaten while I run away. :lol:

appropriate zombie survival gear is hard to nail down exactly but I do have a few short lists:

in absolutely ideal conditions (i.e. I've been preparing for this for a while and I stopped caring about local, state and feral laws) I'd go with:

An M4A1 SOPMOD equivalent carbine using Magpul MS2 sling and their P-mags and equiped with an optic such as an EOtech holosight (I prefer the redical to the solid dot on aimpoints) or alternatively a 3x ACOG if the carbines my only long gun. I'd also consider a vetical grip and a Surefire Light.

If I have a vehicle I'd also take an bolt action rifle, preferably a scoped remington 700 chambered in .308 (a good hunting rifle is rather useful but would be the first thing I'd dump to cut weight)

For a backup handgun; theirs really no other option worth considering besides a modern 1911 chambered in good old .45ACP (it was good enough to kill nazi's, fashists, comunists and tarrorists; damit it's good enough for zombies). My personal favorite is the kimber warrior. A light would be a good idea, I'm more of a fan of surefire myself (Light only, no laser). keep this in a drop leg holster with 4-6 spare mags

as for clothing and gear and what not: I like 5.11's Taclite pro pants and short sleave shirt with a pare of comfortable 6" boots. also A MOLLE LBE style Harness with Pouches for 9-12 mags and a camelbak.

I personally wouldn't bother with laser sights, body armor or sinlencers. I'm just not a fan of lasers and body armor is flat out hot and cumbersom and if it's possible to move there will be a gap where you will enevitably get bitten. as for silencers, I wouldn't bother with them; they can work with any ammo but they work better with subsonic and they degrade in effectivness over time. also I think they make pistols really unwealdy and I just feel that ear pertection and avoiding gunfire all together are the better way to go

Can tell you've been a law enforcement arms seller, you're Glock washed ;)

I've used and been involved in testing many firearms in my checkered career and been competitive in IPSC at an national level for longer than I care to remember (mainly standard, race is for those that can't shoot :o )

My choice of Glock stems more from limited parts availibility & lack of competant gunsmiths in this part of the world, plus I'm a Glock armorer. +1 on the Hi Power, lovely pistol. Not a fan of CZs though, seen several low round count guns with broken slide stops which puts me off. Plus they just don't fit my hand. Also shot standard & revolver class. Can't stand race guns either.

Back on topic, I'm not really worried about swine flu and normal flu medicines are just as effective at treating it. I usually recover from the normal flu in about 2 to 3 days, so if swine flu is anything simailar i'm not worried. The news over hype it with death rates and infection rates, which is considerably low out of a world population of billions. I'm really angry at the media here, ever since those 2 scottish people returned from mexico they are treated like celebritys by the papers here. :angry:

So buying models or toys from overseas is not a problem for me and if i do open a parcel with swine flu in it, then i'm just unlucky :wacko:

Remember to recruit a pet (preferably a dog) before the outbreak. During the zombie survival ordeal, it will serve you greatly in tracking the menacing brain eaters as well as provide you with company. In addition, a pet is needed for the inevitable super dramatic scene where it gets infected by the virus and becomes a zombie, and u will have to break its neck or contend with a zombie German Shepard, cat, or iguana that knows where you live.

Remember to recruit a pet (preferably a dog) before the outbreak. During the zombie survival ordeal, it will serve you greatly in tracking the menacing brain eaters as well as provide you with company. In addition, a pet is needed for the inevitable super dramatic scene where it gets infected by the virus and becomes a zombie, and u will have to break its neck or contend with a zombie German Shepard, cat, or iguana that knows where you live.

How about fish thats all I have.

Right, Meant the M1 Garand Carbine.

Always mix those two up. Carbine fires .223s, right?

Anyway, if worst comes to worst, you can use even a .22 caliber long-rifle for long-range and medium-range standoffs and switch to, my choice falls between a Glock 26 or an HK45 for medium-to-close quarters.

ALWAYS AIM FOR THE HEAD. I don't care what you think, aim for the head. It kills people in one shot for a reason: It destroys the brain. Now, it's a proven fact that destroying the brain is the ONLY way to kill a zombie, since its nervous system is the only thing still working, forcing necrotic muscle to move. As this muscle loses its main source of ATP, provided by digestion, it creates lactic acid as a byproduct. This seems to be a further reason they can't run, although it's proven that they lack the cognition to, anyway. This speeds up the process of decay, but not enough.

Don't rely on vehicles. A car can and will run out of gas, becoming a useless death trap. Further, they're loud and attract the zombies from miles around. If you're going on the attack, which is only suggested in a few cases, you can commandeer a bus or an armored car and lure them in, mowing them down with gunfire and bumper.

Above all, skill is the best tool you have. Your mind and body. This is indisputable. Even as far as the firearms issue. If you don't know how to aim a gun, how can you expect to kill a zombie?

Anyway, I live in Texas and have a few rifles and such. I feel rather safe knowing that I can easily reinforce my house to survive level 1 and 2, and possibly even 3 infestations, and that I am rather armed, trained, and ready for this kinda thing.

Helps that I'm a Mormon, too. 2 year supply, right? ;)

Right, Meant the M1 Garand Carbine.

Always mix those two up. Carbine fires .223s, right?

Anyway, if worst comes to worst, you can use even a .22 caliber long-rifle for long-range and medium-range standoffs and switch to, my choice falls between a Glock 26 or an HK45 for medium-to-close quarters.

I think you might mean the M1 carbine, which fires the .30 Carbine cartridge. A light, handy weapon good to about 100 yards. Quite a good choice against Zombies IMO. One of the characters in the Romero Land of the Dead movie used one. I'd stay away from anything chambered in .22LR due to lack of power and reliability.

My choice of Glock stems more from limited parts availibility & lack of competant gunsmiths in this part of the world, plus I'm a Glock armorer. +1 on the Hi Power, lovely pistol. Not a fan of CZs though, seen several low round count guns with broken slide stops which puts me off. Plus they just don't fit my hand. Also shot standard & revolver class. Can't stand race guns either.

Dude....what do you do in Hong Kong...?

I've tried glocks before, I'm not a fan. they're bricks, some people don't mind but I do. also I prefer Single action over double action (personal preference), I also dislike the lack of a conventional safty and the lack of decocking lever is just stupid.

I've tried glocks before, I'm not a fan. they're bricks, some people don't mind but I do. also I prefer Single action over double action (personal preference), I also dislike the lack of a conventional safty and the lack of decocking lever is just stupid.

I have a Glock airsoft gun, does that count? For the love of God, DO NOT pull that decocking lever. You'll be sorry! :p

I have a Glock airsoft gun, does that count? For the love of God, DO NOT pull that decocking lever. You'll be sorry! :p

Airsoft never counts.

And Graham, that's why I said "If worst comes to worst." You would not want to use a .22LR, but if you had to, you could.

Takes aim, though. You'd need a well-placed shot in a soft part of the skull. If you get really lucky, a single round may down a zombie.

Again, my combo goes down to the M1-series (M1, M2, M3, and their carbine variants) and the HK-45, plus a machete. Crowbar would be nice, too, I suppose. Machete excels at clearing brush and the like.

Well...if nothing else, I'm confident that the members of Macross World will be alive and well in the post-apocalyptic aftermath of a bioweapon-gone-awry! ...or a really bad cold & flu season.

This topic has really been derailed. I don't see the connection between "Swine flu," zombies, and Macross toys.

Wait--I take that back. I get it now! This flu must cause people to become half man/half pig zombies; and the old chunky monkeys, with the pointy noses, are the perfect anti-zombie stabbing weapons. That must be it! :p

Maybe we should start a new thread on this counter-zombie scenario. It could be quite entertaining.

I second the 9mm Glocks (17/19/34) for a sidearm. Simple and reliable, with a high ammo capacity (I admire your taste, Graham). 9mm is used by NATO and many law enforcement agencies, so it would be easy to find some on old zombie battlefields. Plus you can carry a lot more of it with you. 9mm has been killing the living for many years--I don't know why it wouldn't work on the undead.

Glocks do have a safety: you. :rolleyes: As long as you aren't careless with the muzzle, and you keep your finger off the trigger until you're going to shoot, the lack of a manual safety isn't an issue. Secondly, when a Glock is "cocked", it's actually just halfway cocked. When you pull the trigger, it completes the cock and then releases the striker. There are also safety features that make it darn near impossible for the Glock to discharge (even if it's dropped) without pulling the trigger. I could go on, but stuff like this probably belongs in the weapons thread. ;)

Manbearpig?! WHERE?!

While 9mm is standard police issue, .45 is standard military issue. I'm preparing for a Class-4, remember.

not really. There's no universal standard for police rounds. Every agency and department has their own individual standards for ammunition and guns, most allow multiple guns and many allow more than one caliber. 9mm para is one of the more common police rounds, but so are .40 S&W and .45ACP. .38 special is also common and then there are some more esoteric options like .357 magnum, .357 sig, 10mm auto, .38ACP, .380 auto, etc. etc. that could all called "standard police issue."

As for military, if were talking about the US then the Standard round for all branches of service is the 9mm in the form of the model 92 beretta (and to a lesser extent the Sig P228). 9mm is also the standard for most other military's around the world.

the .45ACP is only used by a few specialized units within the US military; namely Marine expeditionary units, SFOD-D, army Rangers and a few others.

There are also safety features that make it darn near impossible for the Glock to discharge (even if it's dropped) without pulling the trigger. I could go on, but stuff like this probably belongs in the weapons thread. ;)

i thought this was the weapons thread. :lol:

not really. There's no universal standard for police rounds. Every agency and department has their own individual standards for ammunition and guns, most allow multiple guns and many allow more than one caliber. 9mm para is one of the more common police rounds, but so are .40 S&W and .45ACP. .38 special is also common and then there are some more esoteric options like .357 magnum, .357 sig, 10mm auto, .38ACP, .380 auto, etc. etc. that could all called "standard police issue."

As for military, if were talking about the US then the Standard round for all branches of service is the 9mm in the form of the model 92 beretta (and to a lesser extent the Sig P228). 9mm is also the standard for most other military's around the world.

the .45ACP is only used by a few specialized units within the US military; namely Marine expeditionary units, SFOD-D, army Rangers and a few others.

Exactly! In the US, there really isn't much consistency among LE agencies. Our local sheriff's office and (I think) the PD both use .40 S&W. For the rest of the world, .40 S&W and the other obscure calibers are very rarely used compared to 9mm (even .45ACP is much less common). Most foreign militaries use 9mm too. This becomes quite an advantage for the international MW members/flu zombie survivors. For those of us in the States, any ammo we can find is a good caliber. ;)

Since we're in the topic of fire arms, I was wondering if that automatic assault rifle from Deep Rising--the movie with Treat Williams not sure if anyone remembers that movie. Is that a real weapon? It was a cool looking gun.