Robotech and HG License Debates

HG has not trademarked Macross in Australia. There are no legal issues with a possible release of Frontier there.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Where did the info come from?

I might email Red-Ant. They released the Evangelion rebuild before most other english speaking countries.

Taksraven

Well...that blog entry of BoK is from 2004...maybe he's grown up a bit since then?

But it's interesting that he tries to justify his racist comment to areaseven by saying that A7 was racist first... :rolleyes:

It's hard to believe that they would hire someone whose past would make him an equivalent to a Dougbendo today. Even more so if they keep things like that public online for everyone to see and use. Skeletons like that usually hurt people's professional reputations, especially if they're in PR or a position of authority in a certain community. And here I thought the current Robotech crew was filled with normal people. What, can't HG hire people with standards, professionals, or well adjusted individuals? Instead they settle for mostly fans who may have grown up like you said, Gubaba, but are generally no better than all the other fans excessively hating on them.

(...) Skeletons like that usually hurt people's professional reputations, (...)

And here people in this very forum, have been harping on me for asking them to tone down their "colourful" and "threatening" language. Where's the common sense, these days? :(

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Where did the info come from?

I might email Red-Ant. They released the Evangelion rebuild before most other english speaking countries.

Taksraven

It's from ATMOSS the Australian online trademark system. I've checked in which countries HG has trademarked Macross. If you play around with the Aussie system you can see that HG only ever copyrighted Robotech (altough that trademark has lapsed).

What, can't HG hire people with standards, professionals, or well adjusted individuals? Instead they settle for mostly fans who may have grown up like you said, Gubaba, but are generally no better than all the other fans excessively hating on them.

Isn't it obvious?

If Harmony Gold brought in people with standards, professionals with excellent credentials, or other individuals with a good, strong grip on reality, they might notice the gaping holes in the company's claims that Robotech is going strong and is incredibly popular. In their minds, it's probably better to hire the more fanatical members of the Robotech fanbase, who won't hesitate to distort the facts to make Robotech seem more popular and successful than it really is.

EDIT: They probably work for less too... privilege of working on their favorite show and all that.

And here people in this very forum, have been harping on me for asking them to tone down their "colourful" and "threatening" language. Where's the common sense, these days? :(

<_< They're harping on you because you don't (or can't) differentiate between hyperbole for comedic effect and the sort of crap BoK spews on a daily basis.

Captain JLS of the Roboblog has quit. His final commentary on the series in the link.

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/

Now that is a damn shame... JLS was one of the few popular Robotech bloggers who wouldn't let himself be used as a mouthpiece for Harmony Gold, and he gave up on his project out of frustration with the franchise's lack of motion.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Now that is a damn shame... JLS was one of the few popular Robotech bloggers who wouldn't let himself be used as a mouthpiece for Harmony Gold, and he gave up on his project out of frustration with the franchise's lack of motion.

A chilling thought came to mind; from what I know Captain JLS leaving marks the end of the last blogger and neutral personality that offered consistent commentary for the fandom. That only leaves Justy Ueki of RDF Underground, who still occasionally does podcasts. But then there's The Robotech Fan The Dougbendo Show, who will probably be talking about Robotech forever. Let's face it, the show is more about his ego than anything, but he's the only one left willing to talk about it constantly now. Until people learn what kind of person he is, he may get all the attention of newer fans online as THE vocal personality of Robotech by default.

But then again, he's been around for years doing his thing and tarnished his reputation by now. People might hate him, but if they want more besides posting on forums or going to conventions, they'll be forced to put up with him for now.

On other news, our "dear friend" Robotechfanplus has been banned from Robotech.com. "ROBOTECH.COM BETRAYED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as he said. :lol: He is a Gundam fan now. :D

Edited by Macross007

Doug Bendo is a creepy stalker. He's making phone calls to people he doesn't like.

Bendo's been tracking down phone numbers of online fans to harass them with phone calls? I would like to see him try that on me. :lol:

On other news, our "dear friend" Robotechfanplus has been banned from Robotech.com. "ROBOTECH.COM BETRAYED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as he said. laugh.gif He is a Gundam fan now. biggrin.gif

We should start a petition to fire McKeaver from HG for his crude behavior, the Robotechfanplus trolling, and tarnishing the Robotech franchise. :lol:

If Harmony Gold brought in people with standards, professionals with excellent credentials, or other individuals with a good, strong grip on reality, they might notice the gaping holes in the company's claims that Robotech is going strong and is incredibly popular. In their minds, it's probably better to hire the more fanatical members of the Robotech fanbase, who won't hesitate to distort the facts to make Robotech seem more popular and successful than it really is.

EDIT: They probably work for less too... privilege of working on their favorite show and all that.

I want to move to LA and apply for HG now!

On other news, our "dear friend" Robotechfanplus has been banned from Robotech.com. "ROBOTECH.COM BETRAYED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as he said. :lol: He is a Gundam fan now. :D

Woohoo! Time to celebrate!

Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na

Hey hey, Goodbye!

Woohoo! Time to celebrate!

Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na

Hey hey, Goodbye!

An obvious troll was obvious and got banned.

Whoop-de-doo.

Personally, what I find strange about it is that they apparently banned Akt_m very, very quickly, but RobotechFanPlus got to hang around for a number of days after saying that the "Jap f***ers killed Roy Fokker."

But it seems to me that he went in WANTING to get banned...look at what he said on his youtube page:

IF THEY CARE ONLY ABOUT MONEY NOT ABOUT THE FANDOM THEN IT IS GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok i admit, Macross is indeed superior, that's why i stole their videos... But i'm a biased robotech fan, so in my heart ROBOTECH IS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he was a Macross fan trying to do his best Doug Bendo impersonation.

That's not to say he wasn't annoying as all git-out, though, 'cuz he was.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ROBOTECHFANPLUS

so now, he hates both Robotech and Macross and their corresponding fandoms. does this mean he's going to change his name from 'Robotechfanplus' to 'Gundamfanplus'? :huh:

That'd probably be my doing... I got sick of waiting for the moderators to deal with him, so I e-mailed Steve Yun about it.

Personally, what I find strange about it is that they apparently banned Akt_m very, very quickly, but RobotechFanPlus got to hang around for a number of days after saying that the "Jap f***ers killed Roy Fokker."

Yeah, Akt_m got the axe pretty quickly, but only because the moderators were actually paying attention. These days, the only moderators on Robotech.com's boards are Seifrietti Weisse, Maverick_LSC, and MEMO1DOMINION, none of whom pay much attention the Series & Stories, Production, Robotechnology, Macross, or debate sections of the site.

(...)

<_< They're harping on you because you don't (or can't) differentiate between hyperbole for comedic effect and the sort of crap BoK spews on a daily basis.

(...)

Since it was replied to by the yes man...

Text based messaging doesn't convey tone. Sarcasm doesn't work. Lamely written hyperbole that depends entirely on the sarcastic voice, doesn't work.

Not sure why threatening bodily harm is funny to you guys... quite a sad low. And here I was thinking that toilet humour was the lowest of the low.

I think he was a Macross fan trying to do his best Doug Bendo impersonation.

That's not to say he wasn't annoying as all git-out, though, 'cuz he was.

I'm surprised Doug hasn't heard about it yet, unless Plus is Doug. There's got to be a show in the works just to spew profanity at the fan sullying his rep.

By now people in the fandom should really be asking what the hell is going on with Robotech if Captain JLS decides to go.

Edited by Einherjar

I have Issues #0-6 of the new Wildstrom Robotech series of comic books. I have to say I bailed out on the franchise when I found out what they did to Johnathan Wolff in that particular comic line. Steve Yun and the gang in their infinite wisdom decided to have him staitioned onboard the SDF-1 insead of the New Alburquerque base during the Macross Saga, and decided that the Malcontent Uprisings and Sentenels storylines never existed (I can understand them not wanting having anything to do with the Sentinels, that story became a train wreck when Matchbox bailed); that was one of the best Robotech storylines out there (I love Chris Ulm's artwork, and the Breetai solo story in either issue #7 or #8 was the best ever written).

For the Seirra Hotel Indigo Tango that company has pulled, Hamony Gold doesn't deserve to have its license renewed.

I'd sic Leroy Jethro Gibbs on that corporation if I could. Carl Macek certailny flubbed when the company was taken over by Steve Yun, Tommy Yune, and Tom Bateman, but the guy's busy running ADV here in Houston, Texas (bet you guys didn't know that company was headquartered in that city, now did you?).

Edited by Wanzerfan

I have Issues #0-6 of the new Wildstrom Robotech series of comic books. I have to say I bailed out on the franchise when I found out what they did to Johnathan Wolff in that particular comic line. Steve Yun and the gang in their infinite wisdom decided to have him staitioned onboard the SDF-1 insead of the New Alburquerque base during the Macross Saga, and decided that the Malcontent Uprisings and Sentenels storylines never existed (I can understand them not wanting having anything to do with the Sentinels, that story became a train wreck when Matchbox bailed); that was one of the best Robotech storylines out there (I love Chris Ulm's artwork, and the Breetai solo story in either issue #7 or #8 was the best ever written).

For the Seirra Hotel Indigo Tango that company has pulled, Hamony Gold doesn't deserve to have its license renewed.

I'd sic Leroy Jethro Gibbs on that corporation if I could. Carl Macek certailny flubbed when the company was taken over by Steve Yun, Tommy Yune, and Tom Bateman, but the guy's busy running ADV here in Houston, Texas (bet you guys didn't know that company was headquartered in that city, now did you?).

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :D

I was just giving my opinion and reasons why on wether or not Harmony gold should have their license renewed. It is what this thread is about, isn't it?

I think I'm going to need hip waders to get through that RIVER OF SARCASM I just encountered. :p

Not sure why threatening bodily harm is funny to you guys... quite a sad low. And here I was thinking that toilet humour was the lowest of the low.

I've been called many things by many people over the years... but a "yes man" is not one of them. My record speaks for itself... I'm about as far from being a yes man as it's possible to be. You, on the other hand...

I'd also say that whining yourself inside-out because you don't like somebody else's sense of humor is about as low as it's possible to go, Sketchley. ^_^

A chilling thought came to mind; from what I know Captain JLS leaving marks the end of the last blogger and neutral personality that offered consistent commentary for the fandom. That only leaves Justy Ueki of RDF Underground, who still occasionally does podcasts. But then there's The Robotech Fan The Dougbendo Show, who will probably be talking about Robotech forever. Let's face it, the show is more about his ego than anything, but he's the only one left willing to talk about it constantly now. Until people learn what kind of person he is, he may get all the attention of newer fans online as THE vocal personality of Robotech by default.

But then again, he's been around for years doing his thing and tarnished his reputation by now. People might hate him, but if they want more besides posting on forums or going to conventions, they'll be forced to put up with him for now.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

With Roboblog out of the picture, the Robotech fanbase is left with a collection of blogs and podcasts which mainly follow the Harmony Gold company line, that Shadow Chronicles was god's gift to cinema, and that the franchise has never been better. RDF Underground's as close to neutral as it gets now, and it's really not much of a counterpoint to sell-outs like Space Station Liberty or Robotech Fan The Doug Bendo apeface Hour. Of course, most Robotech fans get their news directly from Robotech.com's news section and message boards anyway, so they probably don't really care.

I doubt Tatsunoko will ever revoke Harmony Gold's licenses to Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada... the former is successful enough on its own, but it's a pretty safe bet that Southern Cross and Mospeada made more money as Robotech sagas than they ever did solo.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That'd probably be my doing... I got sick of waiting for the moderators to deal with him, so I e-mailed Steve Yun about it.

Yeah, Akt_m got the axe pretty quickly, but only because the moderators were actually paying attention. These days, the only moderators on Robotech.com's boards are Seifrietti Weisse, Maverick_LSC, and MEMO1DOMINION, none of whom pay much attention the Series & Stories, Production, Robotechnology, Macross, or debate sections of the site.

Edit, now read your entire post, you are right. lol

Edited by akt_m

Text based messaging doesn't convey tone. Sarcasm doesn't work. Lamely written hyperbole that depends entirely on the sarcastic voice, doesn't work.

Well, damn. I'm convinced. The emotional blackmail must be working ;)

Do you want a real answer why no one is taking you seriously? Or are your posts strictly indirect insults and rhetorical questions?

I was just giving my opinion and reasons why on wether or not Harmony gold should have their license renewed. It is what this thread is about, isn't it?

I think I'm going to need hip waders to get through that RIVER OF SARCASM I just encountered. :p

I wasn't being sarcastic...I really have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't watched much Robotech since '85 or '86 (every once in a while, I would let my Robotech Perfect Collection videos go on past the Japanese-subbed episodes, but I could never watch for long).

So I don't remember who Jonathan Wolff is or why it matters whether he was on the SDF-1 or in New Albuquerque, nor do I understand why THAT was the breaking point for you to turn against Robotech.

For me, the argument against Robotech (and HG) can be summed up in three simple points:

1. What they did to Macross.

2. What they did to Macross merchandise.

3. Shadow Chronicles.

This thread is more about Robotech.com members than Robotech itself.

I'd have to argue that rt.com members and fans at the moment are the only people making an effort to keep Robotech going. The lengths they go to execute this brings its share of criticism to the series because of the similarities to how HG originally made Robotech at the beginning and the closeness of certain fans to the creators to the point of molding the direction of the series as they see it. Heck, they hired a couple of them blurring the line between fans and creative staff further. As I heard from one blogger a while back "The Future of Robotech IS in the Hands of It's Fans," not Harmony Gold.

The Invid War comics were actually surprisingly good.

I wasn't being sarcastic...I really have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't watched much Robotech since '85 or '86 (every once in a while, I would let my Robotech Perfect Collection videos go on past the Japanese-subbed episodes, but I could never watch for long).

So I don't remember who Jonathan Wolff is or why it matters whether he was on the SDF-1 or in New Albuquerque, nor do I understand why THAT was the breaking point for you to turn against Robotech.

For me, the argument against Robotech (and HG) can be summed up in three simple points:

3. Shadow Chronicles.

This, more than the first episode of the unfinished Sentinels series? :blink::p

Edited by dreamweaver13

This, more than the first episode of the unfinished Sentinels series? :blink::p

I haven't seen THAT in a really long time, either...by the time it came out, I already had a lot of access to REAL anime (unsubbed, alas...but living a ten-minute drive away from Little Tokyo video stores has always had its advantages), so I never took it terribly seriously.

Pretty much all I remember about it is that Breetai looked awful, Lisa's ahir was really stupid, and there were those robot cougars that shattered like glass into teeny-tiny pieces when they fell into a ravine. We laughed out loud when we saw that.

I suppose I should look it up on youtube just to refresh my memory, but...I don't really wanna.

Edited by Gubaba

I haven't seen THAT in a really long time, either...by the time it came out, I already had a lot of access to REAL anime (unsubbed, alas...but living a ten-minute drive away from Little Tokyo video stores has always had its advantages), so I never took it terribly seriously.

Pretty much all I remember about it is that Breetai looked awful, Lisa's ahir was really stupid, and there were those robot cougars that shattered like glass into teeny-tiny pieces when they fell into a ravine. We laughed out loud when we saw that.

I suppose I should look it up on youtube just to refresh my memory, but...I don't really wanna.

Dear god, don't. the more of it you don't remember, the better.

I'd have to argue that rt.com members and fans at the moment are the only people making an effort to keep Robotech going. The lengths they go to execute this brings its share of criticism to the series because of the similarities to how HG originally made Robotech at the beginning and the closeness of certain fans to the creators to the point of molding the direction of the series as they see it. Heck, they hired a couple of them blurring the line between fans and creative staff further. As I heard from one blogger a while back "The Future of Robotech IS in the Hands of It's Fans," not Harmony Gold.

I'd have to go even one more step further and say that Harmony Gold/Robotech.com is just a licensed money backed fan club. The animation they put out looks like fanart, the toys Toynami makes for them are mass produced fan projects and the comic books don't even look as good as the fanart we see in the character appreciation thread in the TV/Movie section. Why do you think people that get tired of RT.com come here and become Macross fans? Even worse, a couple of posts up it's mentioned that someone gets banned and becomes a Gundam fan instead. There's no sustainable life for Robotech passed the original airings. I'm a fan of that Robotech, but anything beyond is just garbage because even though they have money, they'll never have enough to invest it in something worthwhile. There were a couple of animators in this site who's projects looked better than Shadow Chronicles and when someone asked them why don't they work for HG, the answer was always "they can't afford me." PLUS... even if there was money, the people in charge creatively will most likely never give up their foothold and hire real writers and designers. You can only be a fan of the original airing of Robotech because THAT still had the touches and nuances of the original creators. Professionals that were hired and collaborated to make something good within their own element. The only chance Robotech has is if the live action movie gets made and was actually good. But if you become a fan of that, you'll be a fan of something completely different, not the Robotech you became a fan of.

Just so everyone's on the same page, the following post of mine was meant as a joke. It's full of sarcasm, and ironic humour.

Funny isn't it, in a not funny way, that those who are saying that I don't get the joke, are the ones who also, do not get the joke. They're also misreading who the targets of the individual sentences are. Or wait, I didn't include them? Could the same silly things hold true in their posts that started this mess?

Sarcasm doesn't work in a message board (and yes, that's including adding emoticons). Humour and sarcasm also doesn't cross borders very well, either.

Lastly, for the record, it's not that I cannot understand sarcasm, humour, or hyperbole for comedic effect. It's that a message board eliminates all the cues and clues and makes them impossible to differentiate from insults, bigotry, rascism, flaming, and "the sort of crap that BoK spews" (whatever that last one means).

Peace, luv, and moving on.