Robotech and HG License Debates

Well, I didn't want to do this, but here's Dougbendo in the flesh:

I had the displeasue of being at Robotech.com when that douche-bag first showed his ugly face. That moron hasn't even read Robotech Art 1 or 2.

Schmuck.

Should've called himself Doug Bendover.

Doug Bendo does none of these things. He's just a blowhard who's full of himself. He seems to believe that people will come around to him because there's no one else left. But unless he starts getting people like Tom Bateman on every show, I don't think anyone else will follow.

Even with him being the only one left, I think Doug has insulted far too many people on his show to get any Robotech/HG personality or anyone else of importance to seriously consider planning an interview with him. It makes plans for any kind of online promotion for future works more difficult than before without things like the RDF Underground and Space Station Liberty still going on. At least those guys had more composure and were grounded in reality.

I guess all franchises are likely to have people like him. The whole deal with him reminds me of similar people from other fandoms, but at least they had some spark of talent.

I guess all franchises are likely to have people like him. The whole deal with him reminds me of similar people from other fandoms, but at least they had some spark of talent.

Oh yeah, there are plenty of that sort in every franchise... though Robotech's seem to be the most vocal and obnoxious.

I'm dealing with one right now, actually. A whiny little tosspot who used to go by Wraith_Knight, but apparently created a new account recently (Pizza the Hutt) to try and dodge the avid dislike many members seem to harbor towards him. He's currently throwing a hissy fit over on Robotech.com because I dared criticize Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles and insisted that the best thing for Robotech would be to get the hell away from the OSM and try something original. The most comical bit of all is that he's apparently been coming here under an alias to keep an eye on this site and this thread because he knows we're "saying bad things about Harmony Gold, Robotech, and Robotech fans", as though this thread and our criticisms of Harmony Gold and Robotech were some dark, sinister secret.

It's guys like Pizza the Hutt, Doug Bendo, and Kevin McKeever who give Robotech fandom such a bad rap... and they don't even know they're doing it. It'd be hilarious if their stupidity weren't so damn depressing. I've got no idea why the majority of the fans put up with them.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Oh yeah, there are plenty of that sort in every franchise... though Robotech's seem to be the most vocal and obnoxious.

I'm dealing with one right now, actually. A whiny little tosspot who used to go by Wraith_Knight, but apparently created a new account recently (Pizza the Hutt) to try and dodge the avid dislike many members seem to harbor towards him. He's currently throwing a hissy fit over on Robotech.com because I dared criticize Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles and insisted that the best thing for Robotech would be to get the hell away from the OSM and try something original. The most comical bit of all is that he's apparently been coming here under an alias to keep an eye on this site and this thread because he knows we're "saying bad things about Harmony Gold, Robotech, and Robotech fans", as though this thread and our criticisms of Harmony Gold and Robotech were some dark, sinister secret.

It's guys like Pizza the Hutt, Doug Bendo, and Kevin McKeever who give Robotech fandom such a bad rap... and they don't even know they're doing it. It'd be hilarious if their stupidity weren't so damn depressing. I've got no idea why the majority of the fans put up with them.

I think you're a great guy, Seto, and I have a lot of respect for you, but I don't really have a whole lot of sympathy for you in this situation.

I look at RT.com about once every other week or so, and I invariably leave after a few minutes. The "Series and stories" forum baffles me, and the "SouthernMacrosspeada" forum seems like MacrossWorld-Lite. Never felt much of an urge to post there...anything I said would probably be perceived as flame bait, anyway.

Let 'em have their fun without a gadfly in their midst. It's not 1988 anymore...anime is widely available, and the origins of Robotech are easily found. If they don't know much about Macross, it has to be because they either don't WANT to know, or else don't know how to use Google.

Either way, I'd rather have them over at RT.com than over here. A number of the people who get banned from RT.com and come over here to get their fix are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, anyway. Why would we want more of them?

I think you're a great guy, Seto, and I have a lot of respect for you, but I don't really have a whole lot of sympathy for you in this situation.

I know... I know... I'm a glutton for punishment.

I just can't resist my helpful nature... I go there every now and again to peruse the forums for people asking burning questions that they want answered, and I do my best to give them the most complete answer I can. Unfortunately, in the course of that, I run into a fair few people like Pizza the Hutt and Doug Bendo. I guess it's nobody's fault but my own. :lol:

Don't go writing 'em all off as Doug Bendo-esque wastes of carbon... I've met quite a few good people over on that site in my time... Robelwell202 being just the latest example of a decent guy who somehow ended up there. I'm sure this will shock you, but there are actually a few contributors there I respect simply because they approach their debates with a scholarly angle, rather than the stereotypical frothy-mouthed fanboy rants.

EDIT: Spelling! It's a useful life skill...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I know... I know... I'm a glutton for punishment.

I just can't resist my helpful nature... I go there every now and again to peruse the forums for people asking burning questions that they want answered, and I do my best to give them the most complete answer I can. Unfortunately, in the course of that, I run into a fair few people like Pizza the Hutt and Doug Bendo. I guess it's nobody fault but my own. :lol:

Don't go writing 'em all off as Doug Bendo-esque wastes of carbon... I've met quite a few good people over on that site in my time... Robelwell202 being just the latest example of a decent guy who somehow ended up there. I'm sure this will shock you, but there are actually a few contributors there I respect simply because they approach their debates with a scholarly angle, rather than the stereotypical frothy-mouthed fanboy rants.

No, I have seen some posts there that I liked...but most of them are from people who are also over here (Robelwell202 being one of them). I also like K.I.S.S. a lot, and I'm sorry the MacrossWorld version never really got off the ground.

Although I guess random shouts of "BOMBAA!!" serve the same purpose...

BOMBAA!!

Your wish is my command...

FINALLY! After MONTHS and MONTHS of waiting, a friend of a friend of a friend said that this leaked footage is an ACTUAL SCENE from the RT LAM! Enjoy!

that ruined my buzz i had going of watching awesome things.

now your make me do a fantasy casting of it.

that ruined my buzz i had going of watching awesome things.

Yes, because NOTHING but NOTHING is more awesome than ROBOTECH!!!

now your make me do a fantasy casting of it.

Let me do it for you:

Rick Hunter: Tobey Maguire

Lisa Hayes: Some hot chick who's done a sicence fiction TV show or something.

Minmay: Either whatever Asian actress is well-known, or else just give and say "some hot Japanese idol ('cause I don't know their names)."

Roy: Some famous actor who's in his 40s.

Max: Some other famous TV actor who wears glasses.

I'm just shocked no one's suggested Jack Black as Ben.

LOL, I just so happened to lurk over there boards today, and found a post by that Pizza the Hutt guy. His comment went something like, "to all those that criticize Shadow Chronicles, stop hating on it" or something like that, was a good summation of the idiotic ideas and thought processes some of the uber fans have. No smart argument to support their views, no objective analysis. I read his empty, troll like posts, and just laughed at the idea that the fandom is just so out of control.

As far as what Dougbendo has talked about that has been of interest, his debate with Treiz was quite funny to listen to, as was the Tom Bateman interview. That, was more informative for those that didn't know (more or less). Other than that, Robotech itself has dried itself up so much, there's absolutely nothing new to really talk about. Their policy of no information that they claimed was so good, and brilliant, seems to be biting them back. One big site, and like 5 or 6 people that talk in every thread. This isn't a bash on Robotech fans, as most I know are great people. It is too bad that the most vocal of all the fans are the ones who help ruin the franchise and give the rest a bad name. If there were some Macross fans that were like that, I'd stay away from them as well.

Well, I didn't want to do this, but here's Dougbendo in the flesh:

I just can't help watch the part at the beginning where it says Harmony Gold Presents without thinking:

"Harmony Gold Presents: Random Clips of Anime Shows That Have Nothing To Do With Eachother!"

The more I think about it, the more I come to realize that Robotech was the precursor to the contemporary bootleg anime shows, where you get pirate videos with bad picture quality, often times you don't even get the anime episodes that are promised on the box - and of course the subs either say things that are TOTALLY off mark OR you get Swahili Dubs mixed with German and Flemmish-Belgian.

EDIT:

Plus - I don't see why you guys are upset about this Doug Bendo person. I agree with him.

He says "This is what the Robotech fandom should look like" - refering to his face.

I AGREE.

I would love it if the Robotech fandom looked like him.

All I can say is - aside from what the guy has to say in that video - notice the following:

See the desk? There are some screens with images from Robotech...

But what don't you see?

I don't see any VF-1 figures. I don't see any nice Minmei dolls. I don't even see the Aoshima or CMS Legioses or any of that. No Beagle Cyclones.

Why?

If I ever did a video pod cast (first I'd need to get Agent 1 to help me buff up and loose my beer belly) then OTHER than my (post-Agent 1 assistance) beautiful visage, I would probably be sitting at a table with ALL my beautiful valks and dolls and stuff displayed.

Now - maybe he doesn't have this stuff because he doesn't want the Yamatos or Bandais - but on the other hand he won't waste money on Toynami?

Dunno.

But it's interesting to consider.

Or maybe he's got a nice collection but didn't feel like showing it off.

Pete

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

One big site, and like 5 or 6 people that talk in every thread. This isn't a bash on Robotech fans, as most I know are great people. It is too bad that the most vocal of all the fans are the ones who help ruin the franchise and give the rest a bad name.

I tried to post on there a few times but it seemed like no none was reading other people's posts before making their own comments. It was like "let me stay in my own world, I just want to vent my random thoughts and pay no attention to any new ideas".

As you say -- there are many great 'people' out there, but they're not going to keep repeating over and over again that what is going on blows. It can only be said so many times before they check out of the process and wait for the tides to shift for the better.

So hopefully any LAM or SR project will not be made for hormonal 12 year olds - but for Macross/Mospeada and Sci-fi lovers that have a brain. Then I think you'll finally see some 'normal' fans checking back in . . .

Now - maybe he doesn't have this stuff because he doesn't want the Yamatos or Bandais - but on the other hand he won't waste money on Toynami?

It's part of the strange dichotomy with Doug. He doesn't believe in Macross or Mospeada products but hates, among other things, anything Toynami Robotech related. I kind of see Doug as a barometer of what not to do if you want to devote a lot of your time on any venture. In the end he may never be satisfied with whatever comes from Robotech.

It's a relief that, last we heard, HG isn't catering to fans like that anymore if they're really doing something with it. I guess that's progress in some way.

One time Doug actually chopped up the episode of DAPDX where we discussed Macross and made it so he would interject with "that's all from Robotech!" like Robotech inspired Macross through the magic of time travel and the end of circle. Also he's one of those idiots who always refers to Robotech as "the original 85 episode!"

It's part of the strange dichotomy with Doug. He doesn't believe in Macross or Mospeada products but hates, among other things, anything Toynami Robotech related.

So...what exactly does he LIKE about Robotech then? Because the video pod has nothing to do with Robotech - it's all about his face...

I don't get it.

Pete

Yes, because NOTHING but NOTHING is more awesome than ROBOTECH!!!

No I just hate bad acting.

Let me do it for you:

Rick Hunter: Tobey Maguire

Lisa Hayes: Some hot chick who's done a sicence fiction TV show or something.

Minmay: Either whatever Asian actress is well-known, or else just give and say "some hot Japanese idol ('cause I don't know their names)."

Roy: Some famous actor who's in his 40s.

Max: Some other famous TV actor who wears glasses.

I'm just shocked no one's suggested Jack Black as Ben.

i was thinking

Roy: Nathan Fillion

miria: Morena Baccarin

Claudia LaSalle: Gina Torres

Misa/lisa Hayase: Rachel Weisz

everyone else idk.

yet...

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

So...what exactly does he LIKE about Robotech then? Because the video pod has nothing to do with Robotech - it's all about his face...

I'll take a guess and say everything about Southern Cross. He did start that Robotech Masters vs. everyone else debacle.

Which makes him the worst kind of Robotech fan. The part with the most butchering of all means you've got fanboys running around trying to make entrails into space opera magic. Just look at 1st Border Red Devil.

Edited by VF5SS

idk what to say about this.

other than he may be mentally unstable.

If he's the face of robotech what happens when switches to macross?

He won't. He doesn't like Macross. One of my favorite early bits from him (and I think it may have been from the "Respont" to Destroy All Pocasts that VF5SS mentioned above) where we was saying that Robotech: The Untold Story was MUCH better than DYRL, because (as he put it) DYRL "looks really, really rough." :rolleyes:

He won't. He doesn't like Macross. One of my favorite early bits from him (and I think it may have been from the "Respont" to Destroy All Pocasts that VF5SS mentioned above) where we was saying that Robotech: The Untold Story was MUCH better than DYRL, because (as he put it) DYRL "looks really, really rough." :rolleyes:

We must thank the Macross Gods that pathetic lunatic idiot will never be one of us. B)) Seriously for being such a BLIND retard, I need years of medical attention. <_<

Edited by Macross007

Ever heard of "Shadow Rising", the sequel to the 2006 smash-(s)hit Shadow Chronicles? Question: Assuming Robotech: Shadow Rising is still in development, do you think it would be a step in the right direction in trying to mass-market Robotech? (Given its currently EPIC storyline with Haydonites and big boobs...)

Or are you guys leaning more on the fact that the original Robotech universe is dead (thanks to not having access to Macross designs/anything), and there will be a complete reboot come the movie?

Edited by chrisk

Ever heard of "Shadow Rising", the sequel to the 2006 smash-(s)hit Shadow Chronicles? Question: Assuming Robotech: Shadow Rising is still in development, do you think it would be a step in the right direction in trying to mass-market Robotech? (Given its currently EPIC storyline with Haydonites and big boobs...)

Or are you guys leaning more on the fact that the original Robotech universe is dead (thanks to not having access to Macross designs/anything), and there will be a complete reboot come the movie?

Who knows? And who can say he knows?

I listened to his post cast and one thing is for sure the face of Robotech first needs to learn how to pronounce Mospeada.

Doug Bendo pronounces it Moor Sir Pedia, there is no R sound in either the Japanese or English pronunciation.

モスピーダ Mosupi(E)da.

Robotech and Crack don't mix.

I listened to his post cast and one thing is for sure the face of Robotech first needs to learn how to pronounce Mospeada.

Doug Bendo pronounces it Moor Sir Pedia, there is no R sound in either the Japanese or English pronunciation.

モスピーダ Mosupi(E)da.

Robotech and Crack don't mix.

You should hear him try to pronounce "Hikaru Ichijo." :rolleyes:

Cultural sensitivity ain't the guy's strong spot. Hell, he thinks that Robotech is "Americana."

seriously? is he on something? im at the part where he talks about he LIVED robotech. :blink: :blink:

Robotech: The Untold Story better than DYRL. no.

seriously? is he on something? im at the part where he talks about he LIVED robotech. :blink: :blink:

Robotech: The Untold Story better than DYRL. no.

That's just his taped shows, he has over 300 audio recordings of similar quality on talkshoe. You might want to pace yourself, or get some booze ready, if you're going to dive further into the Robotech Fan.

You might want to check the previous topic for that stuff:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=153

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=732649

I think it would be fun if he quit Robotech and joined us. Look - he has no toys, no figures, he has locked himself into a world where he can't enjoy Frontier or the power of Bassara's songs. He can't oogle Sheryl and his heart can't melt over Ranka. Thinking of Minmei just brings visions of Black Holes and really really bad music.

Why would anyone want to live this way for a long time?

My prediction: He will drop Robotech within six months, buy a Yamato, and start posting on this board.

If there's anything completely evident from those vids it's that he's not having ANY fun with Robotech (despite professing that this is what the goal of his venture is)....

Pete

About the only news that there's been on the alleged sequel-in-development Robotech: Shadow Rising is Kevin McKeever's insistence that "hiatus" doesn't mean what the dictionary says it means, and that they really are working on it, despite having nothing to show for it after two-plus years.

IMHO, the best thing for Robotech right now would be a Robotech 3000-esque complete and total departure from the established setting, which is derived in equal measure from Mospeada and Carl Macek's Robotech II: the Sentinels.

The Robotech universe IS dead. That's not even up for argument, it's a fact of life.

Almost all of the new comics were recycled stories originally produced by Academy, Antarctic, and Eternity/Malibu, with somewhat better art. Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles is just an amalgam of story elements and characters from Mospeada and Robotech II: the Sentinels that's trying to be Battlestar Galactica.

That's just his taped shows, he has over 300 audio recordings of similar quality on talkshoe. You might want to pace yourself, or get some booze ready, if you're going to dive further into the Robotech Fan.

Booze won't cut it if you intend to start listening to his show "Robotech Fan" on TalkShoe... you'd better get ready to start abusing painkillers. The experience of listening can be accurately replicated by taking a belt sander to your ears.

he has locked himself into a world where he can't enjoy Frontier or the power of Bassara's songs. He can't oogle Sheryl and his heart can't melt over Ranka. Thinking of Minmei just brings visions of Black Holes and really really bad music.

Why would anyone want to live this way for a long time?

Ask the Robotech fans... for them, it's business as usual.

My prediction: He will drop Robotech within six months, buy a Yamato, and start posting on this board.

If there's anything completely evident from those vids it's that he's not having ANY fun with Robotech (despite professing that this is what the goal of his venture is)...

I doubt it... for as long as I've known him (and believe me, that's longer than I care to admit) he's been determined to carry on with his irrational hatred of Macross simply for form's sake if nothing else.

I suspect that his real reasons for loathing Macross stem from a grudging knowledge that it really is better and more successful than Robotech, but he's afraid to acknowledge it because he doesn't want to tarnish his cherished memories of Robotech, or lose face by admitting that he was wrong.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I suspect that his real reasons for loathing Macross stem from a grudging knowledge that it really is better and more successful than Robotech, but he's afraid to acknowledge it because he doesn't want to tarnish his cherished memories of Robotech, or lose face by admitting that he was wrong.

Well, to each his own I guess. It's just that - to be honest - I could do a better job as "number 1 Robotech fan" than this guy.

Heck, at least I once owned a couple of the Toynami Masterpieces before discovering Yamato. At least I sampled the craptastic Toynami 1:100s in hopes of them being cheaper alternatives to Yamato. At least I to this day would not mind playing the Paladium Roll Playing games...

I dunno -IF I did a video cast - I'd surround myself with Robotech figures, have Robotech novels in the background. I'd probably try to Cosplay a bit and dress up as someone who could be from the Robotech Universe - maybe I would dress up as a Robotech Master, which would be fitting for a "number one fan."

My point here is that to be honest - I find nothing of substance with which to disagree with this Doug Bendo fellow. That's because there is absolutely no argument being made here. No opinion being stated - except the opinion that he won't BS and will "tell it like it is" - but we never hear what "it" is - there is no "it."

The whole thing is completely void of Robotech content. Technically I guess there are the following episodes of his vid cast - is there more content there? He doesn't really seem to have prepared this very ...um...well...um...because...um...there be is lots...um...not much...um...structured um...sentence and stuff is like here and um...there you...um know?

And sorry - but the one thing that annoyed me the most was that you have to be black to be the number one Robotech fan.

Can it get any more ridiculous?

Pete

Can it get any more ridiculous?

Be careful... he might interpret that as a challenge.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That's really what it takes to continue on with Robotech. It's like being a fish who's lake just dried up... the lack of breathable oxygen is making him delirious and he has to make it to the next puddle just to breathe easy again. Hopefully for them the movie comes out, if not, you're just swimming in mud until the whole thing finally dries up.

That's really what it takes to continue on with Robotech. It's like being a fish who's lake just dried up... the lack of breathable oxygen is making him delirious and he has to make it to the next puddle just to breathe easy again. Hopefully for them the movie comes out, if not, you're just swimming in mud until the whole thing finally dries up.

You know - I think it's even worse than your analogy implies.

I remember when Transformers had died out and it was still prior to Beast Wars. The internet was slowly being born then and the Transformers fandom was really vibrant and active - in constructive ways. I can't tell you how much amazing fanfiction I read in those days. There were lots of smaller great stories (hopefully a couple of mine also left their mark on people's memories), but the big ones - Robert Powers' "Corrosion of War Without End," Dave Van Domlen's "Intermezzo" series, Neale Davidson's breathe taking Beast Wars Trilogy - I'm sure there are lots lots more to be named. Oh - of course - Graham Thomson of Transmasters UK who did Globe Quake, as well as the Transmasters UK who actually produced a Continued Generation 2 comic.

In many ways - the "drying up" of the Transformers franchise back then helped produce some of the best Transformers fiction out there, and the fandom was super duper active.

Then Hasbro booted up Armada and it seems everyone and everything productive and fun went the way of the do do bird except for some holdouts.

Technically - Robotech COULD be enjoying the same life as Transformers did back then. Although, granted, it's much harder to enjoy being a Robotech fan because not only do you basically have to blot out Macross, but you have to remain ignorant of Mospedia and Southern Cross - not to mention ignoring Macross Plus and Megazone. In fact - it's best to just pretend that anime itself doesn't exist...

Still - it is semi-possible. The novels are well woven and don't have pictures to get in the way of your imagination. I guess if someone wanted to, there's always something fun to do with it.

But as Doug Bendo says - he doesn't write fanfiction. He also doesn't collect figures. He doesn't build models. He doesn't seem to admire other people who do this either. So...what does he do? Is he a great critic who provides mind numbingly amazing insight into the series? Into the stories? The novels?

Don't see it either.

I dunno. Given how much semi-publicity this guy has made for himself - it's a bit of a turn down to see that he has nothing interesting to say. I mean - I seriously thought that there must be SOMETHING to make people continue clinging to Robotech...

Pete

Thanks! I'm new to the boards, and I have to say that those are very entertaining discussions. I think it's telling of... open this community is. These threads would never fly in Robotech.com...

I found MEMO1DOMINION's intentions on crafting a brand new (Un?)official Robotech Reference Guide very interesting. What lineart would they use for the SDF-2? I wonder...

IMHO, the best thing for Robotech right now would be a Robotech 3000-esque complete and total departure from the established setting, which is derived in equal measure from Mospeada and Carl Macek's Robotech II: the Sentinels.

Humor me here: Barring whatever you feel about Macross Frontier, how did that show gain such an active, devoted following compared to Shadow Chronicles? Was it because of the classic Macross love-triangle formula? Was it because of the characters? Better mecha design?

Didn't Shadow Chronicles sort of deliver on these as well?

Edited by chrisk