Robotech and HG License Debates

I can't say I like how this McKeever guy is luring fans into thinking he has something new to say about the Robotech Live Action Movie. Is McKeever and company still trying to "educate" fans that the Live Action Movie exists, that Tobey Maguire's going to star in it, blah de blah blah? :huh:

It looks to me like McKeever and co. are still trying to build awareness that there is a proposed live-action movie in the works, and not making much headway due to the general apathy of the majority of Robotech fans, and the casual anime viewer's contempt for Robotech.

Tommy Yune, being a self-confessed "New Generation" fan, really believed this is what fans wanted. So he crafted the first third of Shadow Chronicles to be some twisted "ret-con" episode of The New Generation where he "tries" to make Hunter into some kind of victim of circumstance. (Avoid the Prelude comics because it makes Hunter look even more foolish)

Yeah, that was one of the things that bothered me about the Shadow Chronicles movie and the Prelude miniseries... the attempt to re-work the events to make the new stuff fit with the end of the "New Generation Saga".

I received the Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles miniseries from a colleague of mine who wanted to prove to me that Robotech was not essentially a dead franchise. The story recycled whole scenes and often large blocks of text directly from the Robotech II: the Sentinels continuation comics, but the most offensively stupid part of the miniseries was that the villains (General Edwards and the Invid Regent) seemed to have studied villainy under Gargamel from The Smurfs or Mumm-Ra from Thundercats. A villain whose only motivation is a borderline-fetishistic dedication to being a bastard is NOT GOOD STORYTELLING. What's more, they go WAY out of their way to fix plot errors introduced by the Sentinels, where Lisa was in command of the SDF-3, not Rick, by having her severely wounded in issue 1, allowing Rick to take over as Admiral. They go even farther to make Rick out to be an innocent victim of circumstance, rather than a leader who was willing to destroy Earth if he couldn't retake it... the Haydonites are so obviously evil that the only way they could make it MORE obvious would be if they all wore sandwich boards saying "HEY! EVIL ROBOT HERE!". Everybody and their cousin tells Rick that the Haydonites aren't trustworthy, and that it's a dumb idea to implement technology you don't understand... even that stupid overgrown carebear tells him as much, but he ignores it, and then he has the gall to act all surprised in the movie when the Haydonites betray his ass.

One thing I never understood about Robotech's "Netron S" thing is that in Mospeada those missiles are called "Electrically Charged Particle Missile" which is totally not what a neutron is. They had a two out of three shot of getting it right going on basic atomic structure.

Y'know, I don't think they've ever explained (or even tried to explain) why they changed the particle missiles into "neutron-s missiles". I'm guessing they wanted something that would sound more impressive and sci-fi-ish. In the Prelude comic they explain that the "neutron-s" is short for "neutron star matter", which I guess makes them into enormous gravitational weapons.

Also the way Robotech fans adore Rick Hunter is downright fetishistic. Then again its understandable when the show's narrative dangles him like a carrot in front of the fans all the time. The way they made him the MacGuffin in Shadow Chronicles is absolutely hilarious.

That's why I keep accusing the series of coasting on the success and popularity of Macross. Every attempt at a sequel except Robotech: the Untold Story involved Rick Hunter and the rest of the surviving Macross cast. They've been stringing the fans along with the promise of finding out what happened to him for years now, and they know that'll make a title sell. Most of the people who bought Shadow Chronicles only bought it to find out what happened to Rick Hunter, and they got rickrolled something fierce when he went missing again by the end of the movie.

Besides being a proven point of interest for fans, the continuing story of Rick Hunter could be a way to one up what Macross decided to stop talking about, and for good reason as Robotech proved with the overuse of characters over the years. Worse when you're working on a character created by someone else who loosely based it on another character and putting them in situations they were never intended to be in before.

If the promo for Robotech 3000, the only other production featuring no one from Macross, was better planned, would the response still be the same (I do not know if they created characters for that one, even decedents of others or anything)? HG would have been free to stop talking about Rick Hunter and maybe Protoculture nonsense, but would finally have to make up their own stuff from scratch.

Edited by Einherjar

How quickly they forget Robotech 3000.

I wouldn't even classify that as an ATTEMPTED sequel... all they ever achieved was a single teaser trailer that the fans turned up their noses at. Considering past performance, Rick Hunter was going to be involved SOMEHOW anyway. <_<

By the way they're setting up Robotech's storyline, i wouldn't be surprised the next Robotech feature (after Shadow Rising) will involve a colonization fleet ala Macross 7 or Macross Frontier. I think this was hinted on Prelude to Shadow Chronicles about the pioneer missions also involving colonization of planets. Originally, the REF were on a strictly military campaign to find the Robotech Masters' homeworld (that's why Dana and Bowie were left behind on Earth).

I wouldn't even classify that as an ATTEMPTED sequel... all they ever achieved was a single teaser trailer that the fans turned up their noses at. Considering past performance, Rick Hunter was going to be involved SOMEHOW anyway. <_<

It was set in the year 3000, 900-some years after the original Robotech. No.

It was announced, they showed a trailer, they put money into it, had (bad) CG animation... that's an attempted sequel.

By the way they're setting up Robotech's storyline, i wouldn't be surprised the next Robotech feature (after Shadow Rising) will involve a colonization fleet ala Macross 7 or Macross Frontier. I think this was hinted on Prelude to Shadow Chronicles about the pioneer missions also involving colonization of planets. Originally, the REF were on a strictly military campaign to find the Robotech Masters' homeworld (that's why Dana and Bowie were left behind on Earth).

Out of all the continuity rewriting that Shadow Chronicles did, this seems to have been the most overlooked. I myself didn't even notice it until "reading" (since there's so little actual text) The Art of the Shadow Chronicles. The REF is now redefined as going out to look for worlds to colonize, whereas it had previously, in all sources that referenced its mission, been described as a military expeditionary force sent out to confront the Robotech Masters. As you said, this is why Bowie and Dana were left behind, since it was a purely military mission.

The REF is now redefined as going out to look for worlds to colonize, whereas it had previously, in all sources that referenced its mission, been described as a military expeditionary force sent out to confront the Robotech Masters. As you said, this is why Bowie and Dana were left behind, since it was a purely military mission.

But what about the MacGuffins? Assuming they're still dependent on Protoculture, if they can't retrieve them from the black hole they're slowly sinking into the colonization plan won't last.

I thought they made the escape ship a colonization vessel just for the prospects of setting up a Macross-esque situation with civilians on board. Not that it was terrible relevant to the story since they pulled out for the last five minutes.

Here's some info on what they wanted to do with Robotech 3000, I think:

http://www.geocities.com/robotechthreethousand/

EDIT: Crap, it's another site from Khyron Prime. It even has a page dedicated to Robotech haters.

I would like to know SetoKaiba position about this : http://www.geocities.com/robotechthreethou...revolution.html

Edited by Macross007

Yup, he's been everywhere apparently.

Anyway, it sounded like they used the same voice actors from the previous series. Either that or quality of their lines were very similar to what we saw in Robotech. And what is the rock dude anyway, another alien species introduced in the secondary material?

Y'know, I don't think they've ever explained (or even tried to explain) why they changed the particle missiles into "neutron-s missiles". I'm guessing they wanted something that would sound more impressive and sci-fi-ish. In the Prelude comic they explain that the "neutron-s" is short for "neutron star matter", which I guess makes them into enormous gravitational weapons.

That makes sense considering that the "Neutron S" test created a black hole.

Anyway, it sounded like they used the same voice actors from the previous series. Either that or quality of their lines were very similar to what we saw in Robotech. And what is the rock dude anyway, another alien species introduced in the secondary material?

I recognized the voices behind Roy Fokker, Maia Sterling, and Vince Grant, but I think the lines in this trailer are the corniest BS I have ever heard. As for the blue rock dude they called him "Air-rock" in the trailer and I think he is just a rip-off of "Thing" from Fantastic 4 and Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen combined into one useless character.

But what about the MacGuffins? Assuming they're still dependent on Protoculture, if they can't retrieve them from the black hole they're slowly sinking into the colonization plan won't last.

Yeah, that's the catch that's supposed to keep protoculture relevant now that Tommy Yune has his heart set on taking the fairy dust out of it and turning into just another generic sci-fi energy source... having the last remaining means of it go missing.

I would like to know SetoKaiba position about this : http://www.geocities.com/robotechthreethou...revolution.html

Y'know, I found that page a year or so ago, and it's STILL damn funny.

I forget exactly who I was talking to (it might've been Brooklyn Red Leg), but the subject of Harmony Gold's attempt to salvage Robotech 3000 as a conventionally-animated series came up, and I went Googling for production art from the aborted project, and stumbled across Khyron_Prime's Robotech 3000 fansite. It was kind of a surprise to me, since Khyron_Prime never tried to confront me on the Robotech.com message boards, and I never once received a single e-mail because of that page, despite him posting my old e-mail address and imploring people to send me hate mail. It's absolutely hilarious that he attempts to defend Robotech on there after openly admitting that even he thinks DYRL is better than anything Robotech-related.

I guess Khyron_Prime just didn't have the balls to insult me, j_wong, TotsugekiBomber7, or MechAce-1 to our faces, so he took the third-grader's way out and wrote nasty stuff about us in his private website where he was sure we'd never read it.

Same guy.

Man, that Robotech 3000 trailer is so generic it almost looks like they just took some animation meant for something else and re-dubbed it. Save for rock dude. Why does Robotech have rock dudes?

The "rock dudes" are one of several stupid-looking alien races created for Robotech II: the Sentinels. They're called the Sphersians, and prior to the arrival of the Pioneer Mission forces, their planet was one of many former subject planets in the Robotech Masters empire that was invaded by the Invid when the empire fell apart.

HG would have been free to stop talking about... Protoculture nonsense, but would finally have to make up their own stuff from scratch.

HG/WB will probably take the Star Trek reboot-route and not go overly-detailed how stuff works... just have characters yell, "Protoculture is a fuel source of Robotechnology!" If that happens, expect a new generation of enthusiastic Robotech kiddie fans to start long, drawn-out debates with older Macross fans on PC. B)) Hope you guys are ready.

Most of the people who bought Shadow Chronicles only bought it to find out what happened to Rick Hunter, and they got rickrolled something fierce when he went missing again by the end of the movie.

Oh... People got Rick-Rolled in Shadow Chronicles because the they couldn't rescue Rick Hunter... Wow.

Sounds like Tommy Yune or some eager Robotech fanboy should take a few notes from the "classic" movie "The Trail of the Pink Panther", directed by Blake Edwards. They should dedicate the next Robotech movie to interviews with the entire Robotech cast of characters. They should have mock interviews with the Sterling family, surviving Zentrae... sorry... "Breetai's Warriors", Stick Bernard, Karbarrans (RT's version of furry), Roy F*kker, et al. all talking about how awesome Rick Hunter was. The best part: They can replay clips from the Macross Saga.

Now that I mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if they really did it for their next convention... *gulp* :unsure:

I thought they made the escape ship a colonization vessel just for the prospects of setting up a Macross-esque situation with civilians on board.

The end of Shadow Chronicles hinted at that "fun" prospect. How ironic, but as the creators allegedly try to be more "Mospeada"....

I recognized the voices behind Roy Fokker, Maia Sterling, and Vince Grant, but I think the lines in this trailer are the corniest BS I have ever heard.

Robotech 3000 became the topic-du-jour in Robotech conventions. It helped McKeever and company explain why fans should be thankful HG chose to make Shadow Chronicles (Was it, really?). I don't know why you Macross fans should be offended... if they stuck with it, Robotech would be... deader now. :lol:

Speaking of McKeever and company, there was news from the A-Kon Robotech panel thing. Yes, real news!

According to a fan who was present:

It was a lot of fun. I have to admit being disappointed that there was no major Robotech movie news (either live action or animated) but was glad to hear that both movies are still happening. Plus it was exciting to hear you unconditionally state that there will be another video game. Any details on that score will be welcomed the instant you have them.

While it's not surprising that McKeever is still pulling eager fans legs into thinking they have something new to announce about the LAM (other than its existence), he at least confirmed the Robotech fans will be able to get a new mobile phone game. Aren't you guys happy for them?

Read more amazing stuff at:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...mp;pagenumber=2

Finally, since Robotech fans are desperate for Robotech LAM news, many are turning to Spiderman 4 development news for clues:

Kirsten Dunst Returning For 'Spider-Man 4,' Villain To Be Chosen Soon

by Access Hollywood; June 8, 2009

Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire NEW YORK, New York -- Kirsten Dunst will return as Mary Jane Watson, "Spider-Man 4" producer Todd Black told the New York Post.

The star will rejoin director Sam Raimi and star Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker's love interest in the latest installment in the popular superhero franchise, which is slated for May 6, 2011.

Will Spidey put the brakes on the LAM movie well beyond 2012..? And if so, does that mean all Robotech fans can look forward to in the next three years is multi-colored Shadow and Beta fighters? :huh:

I guess Khyron_Prime just didn't have the balls to insult me, j_wong, TotsugekiBomber7, or MechAce-1 to our faces, so he took the third-grader's way out and wrote nasty stuff about us in his private website where he was sure we'd never read it.

This current find makes me think the indecent(s) that eventually happened years later with him was inevitable.

Buy hey, the summer convention season is coming soon, there's still hope for anything.

Will Spidey put the brakes on the LAM movie well beyond 2012..? And if so, does that mean all Robotech fans can look forward to in the next three years is multi-colored Shadow and Beta fighters? huh.gif

I read somewhere that Tobey was willing to act in Spiderman 3 and help produce Robotech behind the camera at the same time. I think other factors will most likely slow down the production of the RT LAM though. Setting the eternal debate of legal issues aside there are still the time consuming issues of the script, preproduction planning, production and the matter of creating all those CG Special Effects.

I find it funny that some people resort to name calling when they don't have a logical argument for why they believe what they do, i.e. Robotech. Then, in posts here, he (Khyron Prime) appeals to the same people he bashes. I've met him before, and believe it or not, he's a nice guy, despite his tendencies for verbal trash throwing. On this site, I haven't met, or heard too many people talk negatively of the Robotech series as it was aired in 85. Aside from it's lack of ability to reestablish itself, and all the sad reinventions of itself, the original Robotech was alright.

I find it sad that some Robotech fans have gotten so far involved into the politics, and the stupidity of "this vs. that", that they've forgotten that these are just cartoons. Talking about the dealings, and speculating is fine, and expressing opinions is fine, but that link with the nasty message is well over the top, and quite childish. Things like that give bad marks to Robotech fans. I'd feel the same if it was a Macross member.

HG has requested extension of their trademark protection on Macross in Germany to 2019 on may 27th 2009. It is now clear that the management has no intention of stopping their practise of IP theft.

Edited by Bri

Will Spidey put the brakes on the LAM movie well beyond 2012..? And if so, does that mean all Robotech fans can look forward to in the next three years is multi-colored Shadow and Beta fighters? :huh:

Personally, I'm hoping that since Tobey Maguire has committed to work on Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5, that Maguire Entertainment will either cancel the live-action Robotech movie for being an unprofitable waste of time and more legal trouble than it's worth, or they'll place it on indefinite pre-production hiatus. Somehow, I can't help but think that with Harmony Gold's track record, the most likely outcome is a quiet, direct-to-DVD release for a low-budget quickie production ala Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation.

HG has requested extension of their trademark protection on Macross in Germany to 2019 on may 27th 2009. It is now clear that the management has no intention of stopping their practise of IP theft.

And this surprises nobody.

[...]

And this surprises nobody.

True, but didn't they state something along the lines of "We are not the same HG management as before and we would cooperate with bringing Macross to the west, but BW isn't playing ball"?

This doesn't look like an action a company would take that is acting in good faith isn't it?

Didn't they have to pay a fine or show documentation to get the extension? If so, wouldn't that mean they'll have to do it again for all the other countries they want to have business in?

Didn't they have to pay a fine or show documentation to get the extension? If so, wouldn't that mean they'll have to do it again for all the other countries they want to have business in?

Only need to pay a fee for extention which is 1270 euro for the German Trademark for 5 classes. (750 renewal plus 260 for each extra class in excess of 3)