Robotech and HG License Debates

I'm tellin' ya, we need a real-life Richard Birla-style eccentric billionaire to buy all the rights for all the Macross series, and put them out in several boxsets, with timeline and production order clearly marked. That'd solve the confusion for all but the most imbecilic of consumers.

Ever heard of Sandy Frank, Haim Saban, or Ted Turner? Their not 30ft tall billionaires, but they have brought plenty of asian shows adaptions to US shores. Unfortunately, when their companies get their hands on an asian show they only release an edited and US adapted product for Broadcast that is little different from HG's Robotech. I say all of us Macross fans should just ban together and gather a bunch of money to buy all of Harmony Gold animation department and licenses. Then we turn around and sell it to Big West on the terms that they every single piece of Macross Merchandise that has or will be released in Japan must also be released in the USA, Europe, etc. :)

That "missing' Mospeada scene reminds me of the people that also believe that there's a "missing" scene in Macross which they show blood on the seat of Roy's Valkyrie.

That "missing" Mosepeada scene shown only in Houston is actually from Robotech: The Movie using the alternative ending from Megazone 23. I for one though was expecting to see blood in Roy's Valkyrie when I watched Macross for the first time. Then again I was also expecting Episode 25 "Virgin Road" to have been heavily edited when I heard the guys on Destroy All Podcasts quoting Max as telling Milia "This is a penis." :lol:

We clearly see his cockpit burst with greenish spray (standard Inbit blood / goo) ... in fact I'm rewatching the same scene right now, not the RT version, but the GC MOSPEADA instead ...

Yeah, that was a fairly graphic death in a lot of ways.

Taksraven

Ever heard of Sandy Frank, Haim Saban, or Ted Turner? Their not 30ft tall billionaires, but they have brought plenty of asian shows adaptions to US shores. Unfortunately, when their companies get their hands on an asian show they only release an edited and US adapted product for Broadcast that is little different from HG's Robotech. I say all of us Macross fans should just ban together and gather a bunch of money to buy all of Harmony Gold animation department and licenses. Then we turn around and sell it to Big West on the terms that they every single piece of Macross Merchandise that has or will be released in Japan must also be released in the USA, Europe, etc. :)

That "missing" Mosepeada scene shown only in Houston is actually from Robotech: The Movie using the alternative ending from Megazone 23. I for one though was expecting to see blood in Roy's Valkyrie when I watched Macross for the first time. Then again I was also expecting Episode 25 "Virgin Road" to have been heavily edited when I heard the guys on Destroy All Podcasts quoting Max as telling Milia "This is a penis." :lol:

So that scene I saw during the test run was actually cobbled together using Mospeada footage and some alternate footage from Megazone 23. And here I thought it was a deleted Mospeada scene. Please send this info on to cyc over at Robotech.com along with my sincerest of apologies for not believing him. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The blood on the Skull One pilot's seat only appears in the McKinney novels, not in the animated series.

Edited by Wanzerfan

So that scene I saw during the test run was actually cobbled together using Mospeada footage and some alternate footage from Megazone 23. And here I thought it was a deleted Mospeada scene. Please send this info on to cyc over at Robotech.com along with my sincerest of apologies for not believing him. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

No, it did not use any MOSPEADA footage. It was Megazone 23 footage, and new footage commisioned by HG.

No the movie used no Mospeda footage only Megazone 23 and Southern Cross footage. Here is the ending of the movie on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHjiDraOu4. Fast forward to the fight at 5:40 and see if this is indeed the fight scene you were thinking. You will notice that it has obviously been censored as the villian Anders is only shown shown screaming before some random explosions are put in the next frame. Considering all the ultra violence of Megazone 23 its not surprising that Carl Macek would censor the scene for this PG Robotech movie, funny thing there supposedly was still a huge uproar by the Houston community of this violent cartoon movie. Also wanted to point out that the future is now and there is no better time to come get in line.

The blood on the Skull One pilot's seat only appears in the McKinney novels, not in the animated series.

Never read the novel. The TV scene works great by not actually showing any blood on the seat as a Hitchcock-inspired suspense effect. All the viewer sees is the mechanics faces light up in shock before cutting to Roy playing a tune on the guitar. Its only after we see the bloody bullet holes in his back that we mentally conjure up images of the cockpit covered with blood which is way better then anything that could be shown. Its also why books are always better then watching your imagination torn apart by a movie adaption.

Edited by Freiflug88

No the movie used no Mospeda footage only Megazone 23 and Southern Cross footage. Here is the ending of the movie on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHjiDraOu4. Fast forward to the fight at 5:40 and see if this is indeed the fight scene you were thinking. You will notice that it has obviously been censored as the villian Anders is only shown shown screaming before some random explosions are put in the next frame. Considering all the ultra violence of Megazone 23 its not surprising that Carl Macek would censor the scene for this PG Robotech movie, funny thing there supposedly was still a huge uproar by the Houston community of this violent cartoon movie. Also wanted to point out that the future is now and there is no better time to come get in line.

Never read the novel. The TV scene works great by not actually showing any blood on the seat as a Hitchcock-inspired suspense effect. All the viewer sees is the mechanics faces light up in shock before cutting to Roy playing a tune on the guitar. Its only after we see the bloody bullet holes in his back that we mentally conjure up images of the cockpit covered with blood which is way better then anything that could be shown. Its also why books are always better then watching your imagination torn apart by a movie adaption.

I'd watch it if this place stilll didn't use freaking dial-up (up to 50kb./sec. from 26.4kb/sec., it's the freaking service and not the modem; damn, we really need to get eiher wi-fi or dsl). I was talking about the scene in the final act of Symphony of Light where they used the Megazone 23 footage, then cut to Scott firing the mini missle, not Robotech the movie. I have yet to see that one though.

The passage in in the final chapters of book 3 Homecoming describing the blood on the pilot's seat.

I'd watch it if this place stilll didn't use freaking dial-up (up to 50kb./sec. from 26.4kb/sec., it's the freaking service and not the modem; damn, we really need to get eiher wi-fi or dsl). I was talking about the scene in the final act of Symphony of Light where they used the Megazone 23 footage, then cut to Scott firing the mini missle, not Robotech the movie. I have yet to see that one though.

The passage in in the final chapters of book 3 Homecoming describing the blood on the pilot's seat.

There was no Megazone 23 footage used in MOSPEADA or in Robotech: New Gen.

Seems fine with three militaries in RT, one essentially being North American, one being South American, and one being returning colonial forces who have changed and developed over a couple decades away.

Except none of them have any visual connection or any hint of progression. Regardless, the vast differences in these three militaries is made even more confusing (compounded by those damn three-letter acronyms Robotechies keep making up) when you start to realize they all do the same damn thing. And that thing is absolutely everything a sci-fi military does in these kind of shows. Seriously all these branches have such entirely non-specific goals that its pretty stupid.

Regardless, the vast differences in these three militaries is made even more confusing (compounded by those damn three-letter acronyms Robotechies keep making up) when you start to realize they all do the same damn thing. And that thing is absolutely everything a sci-fi military does in these kind of shows. Seriously all these branches have such entirely non-specific goals that its pretty stupid.

The Army of the Southern Cross might have had a specific, yet flawed, goal in the military. They were meant to defend Earth from alien invaders and uprisings, but it was kind of stupid when they relied too much on ground mecha while the generation before was more diversified. They did have air mecha though, even one "Veritech" that some fans think got destroyed before they were able to transform every single time.

Oh don't even start with that Slyphide bullcrap. That's the worst example of a delusional Robotech fan. The guy thinks it can transform just because the narrator made a mistake.

Fans definitely have issues surrounding Robotech in general.

At least that's what I got from the online community of a dozen or so die-hards who apparently can't stop talking about it.

Edited by Einherjar

This thread alone is probably generating more traffic then the whole of the RT forums. There is some irony in that, somewhere.

And that's nothing compared to the "Where's the SDF-2?" thread...

But let's face it: we are die-hard (Macross) fans who can't stop talking about it (Robotech), right?

Yeah, but at least we are not talking about nonsense. 10 pages of "Who really killed Roy Fokker?". Some of these Robotech fans are mentally unstable I tell you. <_<

Edited by Macross007

Yeah, but at least we are not talking about nonsense. 10 pages of "Who really killed Roy Fokker?". Some of these Robotech fans are mentally unstable I tell you. <_<

I dunno...there have been some pretty daft discussions here, as well... :D

I dunno...there have been some pretty daft discussions here, as well... :D

I don't remember most of them turning personal or deadly serious in recent memory like that one. The mods usually act before that happens. But we're never serious here, well, maybe in this thread. :lol:

Eh, that's not really a discussion... the whole thing was started as a pineapple salad joke. Now it's just an excuse for two guys who hate each other to take potshots at each other. The few remaining mods there are too apathetic to do anything.

You want full-on nonsense? There's a thread in their tech debates section where a bunch of frothy-mouthed nutjobs are trying to prove that the AFC-01 Legioss/VFA-6 Alpha is superior to the VF-1 in every way, mainly by making up "facts" as they go.

I still maintain that the long wait between the "original" series and the Shadow Chronicles movie unhinged most of the Robotech fanbase.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I still maintain that the long wait between the "original" series and the Shadow Chronicles movie unhinged most of the Robotech fanbase.

And the long wait between Shadow Chronicles and Shadow Rising is unhinging them even further...

Thankfully, in our little corner, we KNOW we've got a movie coming up relatively soon, and probably a new series or OVA coming up in 2012 for the thirtieth anniversary. B))

I don't remember most of them turning personal or deadly serious in recent memory like that one. The mods usually act before that happens. But we're never serious here, well, maybe in this thread. :lol:

Ah. I hadn't read that thread all the to the finish, so I thought you were talking about RobotechFanPlus coming in and blaming the writers of Macross for killing Focker.

Now that I looked at the rest of it...sheesh. Yeah, here, Azrael usually comes in, says "Good grief," and closes the thread before it goes that far.

But hey, having just reviewed the subs for SDFM Episode 4, I can say with some certainty that everyone aboard the Prometheus was killed. ^_^

(C'mon someone, take the bait...you know you want to... :p )

Ladies and gentlemen... open your umbrellas, because the poo's about to hit the fan.

You DARE to question the official story that Tatsunoko losing a major legal battle over ownership of those the whatever-the-heck-HG-licensed could in any way have repercussions for HG? YOU SHALL BE DESTROYED!

Wait, HG hasn't updated the copyright on the bottom of the RT website in 2 years?

Edited by JB0

You DARE to question the official story that Tatsunoko losing a major legal battle over ownership of those the whatever-the-heck-HG-licensed could in any way have repercussions for HG? YOU SHALL BE DESTROYED!

Oh yes, I've no doubt that the more deluded fans will make a huge fuss that I've dared to inject common sense and fact into the proceedings, and Kevin McKeever will probably try to publicly chew me out for daring to question the legitimacy of his claim that Harmony Gold flat-out owns Macross.

If HG was "asleep at the wheel" for the video release of Mac+, how come they let the DVD release happen?

Also, do we know what HG's main source of income is these days? DVD's, TV rights, merch? Is anybody in the world still broadcasting Robotech?

Taksraven

If HG was "asleep at the wheel" for the video release of Mac+, how come they let the DVD release happen?

Also, do we know what HG's main source of income is these days? DVD's, TV rights, merch? Is anybody in the world still broadcasting Robotech?

Taksraven

A while back, jasonc mentioned that HG's biggest source of income is some sweet real estate deals they made.

But yeah, the "asleep at the wheel" defense doesn't work, for a number of reasons.

Taksraven

They still strive on DVD, toys, and RPG books. That's the only recent merchandise they still sell and come out with new stuff for the franchise.

It might be still showing on the AnimeNetwork. Recently, they made a fuss about Robotech being shown again on SPACE: The Imagination Station in Canada. It doesn't sound like a big deal to me, because by now wouldn't people get sick of watching the same 85 episode show ad nauseam?

About Seto Kaiba's post: It makes you wonder how much of the Robotech dilemma HG told Tobey Maguire and co. before they handed over the rights. It might help the LAMR they're now stuck with promoting over other works if they finally go over the details regarding the legal issues that could make or break everything.

Edited by Einherjar

Does this article circa 2002 still apply to what's happening with HG and Robotech today?

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=87

I assume this was written to avoid potential backlash from the Animeigo release of Macross TV series and etc. Since then a lot has happened to potentially change this stance while they won't admit it (Shadow Chronicles), making the Hollywood route a last resort move if the legal issues really did have an effect on the rest of their plans.

Does this article circa 2002 still apply to what's happening with HG and Robotech today?

I assume this was written to avoid potential backlash from the Animeigo release of Macross TV series and etc. Since then a lot has happened to potentially change this stance while they won't admit it (Shadow Chronicles), making the Hollywood route a last resort move if the legal issues really did have an effect on the rest of their plans.

Well, that's certainly what they're still saying...whether it's still true (or was ever true) is anybody's guess.

And I don't think it was in response to AnimEigo, since HG (as they say) did indeed work closely with AnimEigo, giving them the messed-up masters and allowing them to spend millions to restore them before taking them back and giving them to ADV. <_<

Nope, the article is incorrect at best. HG has no copyright on Macross. Copyrights cannot be licensed under Japanese law. HG cannot have those rights, period. HG can have a license to distribute SDFM and has merchandising rights to SDFM and (supposedly) on DYRL at most. HG copyrighted the name Macross in several countries.

I am not even sure if HG can edit the footage of the Macross saga at will without permission of the copyrightholders. Altough in HG's defence they can always claim that RT is a rather inacruate dub attempt. :D

Edited by Bri

Eh, that's not really a discussion... the whole thing was started as a pineapple salad joke. Now it's just an excuse for two guys who hate each other to take potshots at each other. The few remaining mods there are too apathetic to do anything.

You want full-on nonsense? There's a thread in their tech debates section where a bunch of frothy-mouthed nutjobs are trying to prove that the AFC-01 Legioss/VFA-6 Alpha is superior to the VF-1 in every way, mainly by making up "facts" as they go.

Yeah, I have read that thread too. I don't want to go into details, but I am amazed of how some of these Robotech idiots are saying the VF-1 runs on protoculture when Tommy Yune said HIMSELF that thing runs on fusion power. Also, these same cretins refuse to acknowledge the OSM (Original Source Materials) when Carl Macek HIMSELF used them to "create" his crappy ripoff. Can't believe you have the patience to deal with them. Can't believe you are still on the Robotech forums too.