Yamato 1/60 Fan Racer

wolfx

Got my fan racer in the mail yesterday! What a great little kit! Can't wait to start building again...Been outta the game for almost 12 yrs....anyway...anybody around here wanna break me off some knowledge on the following....

#1--on a darker mold color such as this-is it smart to do a "primer coat" of white or something before you actually airbrush the final color of white?

and #2--what paints are the best nowadays and what colors did any of you use on the fan racer???--I use to use Testors Model Master, which I thought were always great, with the exception of any white colors, but there are ZERO hobby shops left where I live so I will have to order all my supplies online I guess...,

any and all help greatly appreciated! B))

Edited by derex3592

Hey Derex, I've always liked Tamiyas's paints. Priming is kind of a choice for some people. I personally normally don't use it unless I've got all kinds of colored putty underneath. Have fun getting back into building! - MT

Got my fan racer in the mail yesterday! What a great little kit! Can't wait to start building again...Been outta the game for almost 12 yrs....anyway...anybody around here wanna break me off some knowledge on the following....

#1--on a darker mold color such as this-is it smart to do a "primer coat" of white or something before you actually airbrush the final color of white?

and #2--what paints are the best nowadays and what colors did any of you use on the fan racer???--I use to use Testors Model Master, which I thought were always great, with the exception of any white colors, but there are ZERO hobby shops left where I live so I will have to order all my supplies online I guess...,

any and all help greatly appreciated! B))

Normally I don't prime, but due to the darker grey plastic I did a coat of white primer for my fan racer. Helps the orange/red stand out without having to layer it on too thick. I recommend Tamiya's paints too. My little fan racer is all Tamiya except for a little fine marker work on the panel lines and Hikaru... flat white primer, gloss white, medium grey, orange, flat black, and flat aluminum for the plane, then orange, yellow, flesh, semi-gloss black, and sky blue for Hikaru.

Edited by Penguin

Normally I don't prime, but due to the darker grey plastic I did a coat of white primer for my fan racer. Helps the orange/red stand out without having to layer it on too thick. I recommend Tamiya's paints too. My little fan racer is all Tamiya except for a little fine marker work on the panel lines and Hikaru... flat white primer, gloss white, medium grey, orange, flat black, and flat aluminum for the plane, then orange, yellow, flesh, semi-gloss black, and sky blue for Hikaru.

Thanks guys!!

• 4 weeks later...

OK Guys....sorry the pics kinda suck....I need a better camera, or to learn to use this one better, anyway, here is my FAN RACER....My first model in over 10 years....Built over about 3 days of Memorial Day Weekend. Chose Tamiya Spray paint cans instead of the airbrush for this one...turned out pretty good...that Hikaru pilot was a b*tch to paint right, but I am proud of how he came out. Still have a minor touch up here and there, but overall, I think it turned out pretty good! Really getting back into modeling! Ready to try something a little larger....LOL.... Ohh, and the stand is stolen from an old 1/100 VF-1S I never finished...so I thought "Hey, just paint that stand and use it!" ^_^

post-11393-127569941696_thumb.jpg

post-11393-127569945031_thumb.jpg

post-11393-127569946571_thumb.jpg

post-11393-127569948157_thumb.jpg

post-11393-127569949626_thumb.jpg

Awesome!!! what a coincidence, I just built mine also over the weekend. Mine doesn't have the pilot though... YET! Where'd you get the stand. And white fans! I like it. I followed the Yamato pics and painted mine gray but I like the contrast on yours.

gallery_151_373_26564.jpg

OK Guys....sorry the pics kinda suck....I need a better camera, or to learn to use this one better, anyway, here is my FAN RACER....My first model in over 10 years....Built over about 3 days of Memorial Day Weekend. Chose Tamiya Spray paint cans instead of the airbrush for this one...turned out pretty good...that Hikaru pilot was a b*tch to paint right, but I am proud of how he came out. Still have a minor touch up here and there, but overall, I think it turned out pretty good! Really getting back into modeling! Ready to try something a little larger....LOL.... Ohh, and the stand is stolen from an old 1/100 VF-1S I never finished...so I thought "Hey, just paint that stand and use it!" ^_^

Nice build. Which color did you use for the "Red"?

Actually, the darker fan blade is Model Master "Steel"--one of my favorite colors ever, and the back fan is Tamiya Flat Aluminum. Can't tell from the pics, but I took some liberty and said hey, why not make em contrast a little, Maybe poor Rick--errrrr :o Hikaru had upgraded one but didn't have enough $$$ for both... :ph34r: The stand is a left over from a 1/100 VF-1S kit i never finished.

Miria-----If you're referring to the stand red--It's just plain old Testors Gloss Red in a spray can--Cheap but effective!

Edited by derex3592

Actually, the darker fan blade is Model Master "Steel"--one of my favorite colors ever, and the back fan is Tamiya Flat Aluminum. Can't tell from the pics, but I took some liberty and said hey, why not make em contrast a little, Maybe poor Rick--errrrr :o Hikaru had upgraded one but didn't have enough $$ for both... :ph34r: The stand is a left over from a 1/100 VF-1S kit i never finished.

Miria-----If you're referring to the stand red--It's just plain old Testors Gloss Red in a spray can--Cheap but effective!

Actually I was wondering what Tamiya spray red you used for the fan racer itself.

Woops. My bad I see that you have stated prviously that it is orange. Thanks.

Yeah, just used Tamiya spray can "Orange Gloss"---However--be aware that the little bottle of liquid Tamiya "Orange" is NOT a match!!! I used Testors normal everyday "Orange" to match the Tamiya spray for touch ups. ^_^

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

does anybody have a problem keeping the canopy shut? any mods for rectifying this problem?

btw, thanks for the pilot fig exo. :)

I did... Unfortunately I forgot... I'm trying to think what it was! DAMN!!! It's killing me now. :(