Yamato 1/60 Fan Racer

wolfx

yeah, I actually thought this was the new mystery toy from Yamato Graham's signature was implying, but apparently not, since this is a model kit (!!).

Wonder what's the presentation of it, a classic Hasegawa-type or what? at least it seems it says paint and glue are required, so it's not simple snap-fit of pre-colored or pre-painted parts.

I imagine this is going to be not much bigger than the cockpit section of the VF-1 V2!

What an odd release! I mean, I like - love - the subject, but in 1/60? Model builders tend to like similar scales for comparison, like 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 etc. This seems to fit better with Yamato's Toy line than anything else. Perhaps they didn't have quite the budget to release it as a prepainted and assembled toy...

Well, Yamato are nowadays doing all these on-line Japanese promos and limited items.

Yeah, for Yen 3,000 before shipping, this little model sure is on the expensive side. I am just so tempted to add more details on it, give it a decent pilot (seems like the one from Yamato does not even come with one!) and recast it for everyone!

Well, Yamato are nowadays doing all these on-line Japanese promos and limited items.

Yeah, for Yen 3,000 before shipping, this little model sure is on the expensive side. I am just so tempted to add more details on it, give it a decent pilot (seems like the one from Yamato does not even come with one!) and recast it for everyone!

You realize MW is officially sponsored by Yamato right? I'm guessing they'd be very unhappy with that effort (not that I wouldn't love to see the outcome).

My comment was just a teaser and angering my frustrations that Yamato has been recently releasing all those Japan mail order only items.

I have done some quick calculations if I had to get this kit through Yahoo Japan; the Fan Racer cost Yen 3,000, add local shipping, inflated Yahoo price, another local shipping, agent commission and final overseas shipping. this will easily end up costing US$70-80 on my doorsteps, now that is an expensive small model kit!

Btw, are you sure Yamato is sponsoring MW? From what Graham told me, they have not been in contact with him for months now.

You realize MW is officially sponsored by Yamato right? I'm guessing they'd be very unhappy with that effort (not that I wouldn't love to see the outcome).

Why would Yamato be unhappy? They wouldn't be losing any money because they would still sell out of their limited edition release.

Miriya - if you're talking about the yellow one, episode 34 - "Private Time."

As far as sponsorship goes, this site DEFINITELY sponsors Yamato, officially and unofficially :lol:

Recasts are for kits no longer made after several decades and the artist is dead or gives you permission. Its that whole ethical/anti-piracy thang. - MT

Why would Yamato be unhappy? They wouldn't be losing any money because they would still sell out of their limited edition release.

Whoa, seriously? Put your self in their shoes. You design something, you license it, you sell it, someone else tweaks it a bit, and then they sell many more of it. Now I know many Internet forum members like to say they're exceedingly noble and would think having their work pilfered was a compliment but in the real world that tends not to be how things are perceived. What if a year from now Yamato did want to revisit the fan jet and produce something else? Here Yamato had gone through the approval with Big West and made the appropriate concessions only to have other unlicensed people profit largely from their work... that doesn't tend to make business people happy. The question is, would they be making money from something that they had the rights to make but was being produced by someone else? If the answer is "no" then they're not happy.

All that said, I get that Valk009 was essentially joking around (while putting out an idea many folks would be happy with).

Edited by jenius

Whoa, seriously? Put your self in their shoes. You design something, you license it, you sell it, someone else tweaks it a bit, and then they sell many more of it. Now I know many Internet forum members like to say they're exceedingly noble and would think having their work pilfered was a compliment but in the real world that tends not to be how things are perceived. What if a year from now Yamato did want to revisit the fan jet and produce something else? Here Yamato had gone through the approval with Big West and made the appropriate concessions only to have other unlicensed people profit largely from their work... that doesn't tend to make business people happy. The question is, would they be making money from something that they had the rights to make but was being produced by someone else? If the answer is "no" then they're not happy.

All that said, I get that Valk009 was essentially joking around (while putting out an idea many folks would be happy with).

I think it would be easier to have sympathy for them if they had put some actual effort into the product in the first place.

I'm inclined to think they cooked up the product and did the tooling, but for some reason the product didn't get much retailer interest or was intended to be an accessory or anniversary item that was canceled. So they're selling a few to to make some money and good press back on the effort.

Many toy & hobby companies do this. They become mail-aways or regional releases.

Miriya - if you're talking about the yellow one, episode 34 - "Private Time.

Thank you MT. I will try to get some screen grabs from that too.

i think i'll wait for the 1/48 version from someone to be released.

Good point Kicker. There is a member here who has been planning one for over a year IIRC. I hope that he still does it. It would be a scratch build in 1/48. And I do not see anything wrong with that. Does he need approval from BigWest? Does Moscato get approval from BigWest?

• 2 weeks later...

www.xe.com

EDIT - uh, $273??? That can't be right.... the thing retails for $30!

EDIT 2 - When using XE.com, be sure to use the right country... I used the wrong country above with disastrous results.

Edited by jenius