DYRL SDF-1 Macross

that might be the case in the movie but practically, using gravity controls like that would be really impractical and potentially dangerous. even with SciFi alien technology, It's still going to be more complicated to maintain differently oriented pockets of gravity that work in limited areas and don't interfere with each other than it would be to maintain uniform gravity across the whole city. theirs also the problem of disorientation from changing orientation as you go from area to area of the city. but the biggest problem is that you need to run the gravity control system all the time. what do you do if you need to take the system off line for maintenance?

i agree, but in the end... the movie speaks for itself....good argument tho.

So what do you think these huge open leg-spaces were used for by the Zentraedi crew?

Your comment makes me think about why the UN-Spacy would have all that seemingly open space in the SDF-1 in any case. Is the DYRL version of the story such that everything was already established and built inside before launch. Was the city intentional from the beginning in DYRL, as opposed to the SDF:M storyline of the city being retro'd after the fold.

Your comment makes me think about why the UN-Spacy would have all that seemingly open space in the SDF-1 in any case. Is the DYRL version of the story such that everything was already established and built inside before launch. Was the city intentional from the beginning in DYRL, as opposed to the SDF:M storyline of the city being retro'd after the fold.

I'd just chalked it up to the ship being a retrofit instead of a new design.

We also know the ship wasn't really ready to head out yet.

They were planning a shakedown cruise, several major systems were still untested(cannon, fold generator, gravity controllers), they hadn't docked with the ARMDs, and who knows what else. It's highly possible that part of that space was intended to be full of spare parts, or something.

Or maybe they were planning on making friends with the aliens and bartering for really sweet toys they could bring home and reverse engineer! :D

Edited by JB0

I'd just chalked it up to the ship being a retrofit instead of a new design.

We also know the ship wasn't really ready to head out yet.

They were planning a shakedown cruise, several major systems were still untested(cannon, fold generator, gravity controllers), they hadn't docked with the ARMDs, and who knows what else. It's highly possible that part of that space was intended to be full of spare parts, or something.

Or maybe they were planning on making friends with the aliens and bartering for really sweet toys they could bring home and reverse engineer! :D

You know, I've always wondered. Where the hell are the engines, if the legs are full of town? Are they just in the "feet" part?

Yup, the engines are in the feet, they are quite compact.

As for the town. I feel the TV series gives the more interesting representation of the city. Multi layered plateaus, in some episodes they show at least 5 layers for the city. Which can be moved or rotated during transformation. I kind of imagined this to work like some upscaled luxaflex system.

People salvage whatever they can from the folded island to build a city is a quite clever way of explaining the origin of the city aboard the ship.

There is probably quite a bit of anime magic involved. I doubt the original designer expected the 10 year olds watching the show to take it so serious later in life and do actual calculations.

To make it work the easiest way to cheat would to enlarge the Macross a bit to allow for everything shown. Still if you were to take thing to way too serious and tried to engineer everything in a cross section drawing, I'm sure you could get a long way if you allow the city to extend bewond the legs. Things like the park and the stadium would be a tighter fit and the ceilings would be lower but for the most part it could work.

Here is a scan which shows a sketch of one of the leg interior and the layout. You will notice the concert hall, so that might give you a sense for the size. Perhaps the other leg, which wasn't shown in the book I have, is laid out more densely as apartments. You can see various levels below the "ground level" which may have more living space perhaps, or maybe it's mechanical areas for the engine. Maybe you guys can draw some conclusions from this pic.

post-690-1241092709_thumb.jpg

I'd be happy assuming that the level below the city level is for energy transfer from the reactor in the body to the engines in the legs.

I'd also be happy chalking this up to the 1st (Chronologically speaking) use of anime magic in Macross.

The second is the VF-4, etc.

I'd be happy assuming that the level below the city level is for energy transfer from the reactor in the body to the engines in the legs.

I'd also be happy chalking this up to the 1st (Chronologically speaking) use of anime magic in Macross.

The second is the VF-4, etc.

Nah, I think the first is Hikaru beating the Angel Birds Valks. Second would be Hikaru crashing through the buildings, followed by Hikaru's battroid tumbling over, falling Minmay getting rescued, and on and on... ^_^

Nah, I think the first is Hikaru beating the Angel Birds Valks. Second would be Hikaru crashing through the buildings, followed by Hikaru's battroid tumbling over, falling Minmay getting rescued, and on and on... ^_^

Angel Birds: They were at half-thrust and he activated JATOs.

Buildings: SWAG Energy Converting Armor (Swag- do you got it?)

Falling Battroid: Any idiot can make a battroid fall

Saving Private Minmay: That's not anime magic, that's skill

No that's just SCIENCE.

Angel Birds: They were at half-thrust and he activated JATOs.

Buildings: SWAG Energy Converting Armor (Swag- do you got it?)

Falling Battroid: Any idiot can make a battroid fall

Saving Private Minmay: That's not anime magic, that's skill

Y'know, I wrote about five different replies...but none of them were funny enough.

And since we all know that cleverness and wit are the most important parts of any technological or scientific discussion, I guess you guys win. :(

I've always wondered about the city in the legs thing. Does the city and civilian population occupy both legs or just one leg. And if there's a city in the legs, that doesn't leave much room for the engines does it?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=66341

What does a cross section of thrusters typically look like? I don't know much about rockets and jet engines, but from what I've seen, they generally take up a good chunk of the nacelle and just about every cubic inch is put to good use.

If you review the above image of the DYRL leg layout, you'll see that the engines are housed in a large block at the rear (or foot) of the leg. The entire leg structure wasn't needed to house the main thrusters in either version of the SDF-1.

If you review the above image of the DYRL leg layout, you'll see that the engines are housed in a large block at the rear (or foot) of the leg. The entire leg structure wasn't needed to house the main thrusters in either version of the SDF-1.

Yeah, I saw the block....pretty compact construction for engines that big, isn't it?

I've always wondered about the city in the legs thing. Does the city and civilian population occupy both legs or just one leg. And if there's a city in the legs, that doesn't leave much room for the engines does it?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=66341

What does a cross section of thrusters typically look like? I don't know much about rockets and jet engines, but from what I've seen, they generally take up a good chunk of the nacelle and just about every cubic inch is put to good use.

Actually, if you look at a rocket, the space is mostly fuel tanks and ignition chamber.

And in a jet engine, the nacelle is much bigger than it needs to be, really, it's only for additive compression from the forward compressor.

The F-15's engines take up only the rear two-fifths or so of the nacelles.

I have a basic cutaway schematic somewhere, but I lack a scanner, so, I can't put it up right now.

Either way, it's not a rocket or a jet, anyway.

I'd hate to live in the buildings next to the engines. Ear protection anyone? Now that's anime magic. =P

Vacuum works as a pretty good sound-proofer ^_^ A few baffles between the engines and the rest of the legs would cut down the noise by alot (assuming the engines even make noise in the first place)

I'd hate to live in the buildings next to the engines. Ear protection anyone? Now that's anime magic. =P

Not to mention heat insulation.

assuming the engines even give off that much heat in the first place.

True. I always assume the Reaction Engines produce a lot of heat. This is mostly based on the color of reaction explosions and Thermonuke Reaction Turbines. However, it's never explained.

I like to infer.