Zone of the Enders... 3

Joystiq.com

Kojima gauging gamer interest in new Zone of the Enders

by Randy Nelson { Apr 22nd 2009 at 9:30PM } PlayStation

Six years after the release of the last console game in the series, Hideo Kojima is talking Zone of the Enders. Specifically, the Kojima Productions founder (and creator of a little series called Metal Gear) asks if gamers are really interested in a Zone of the Enders 3 during a new episode of MGS4's in-game "Integral" podcast.

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner -- the, well, second game in the series -- was directed by MGS4 co-writer and director, Shuyo Murata, and remains a fan favorite in addition to a critical success; we're surprised it's taken Kojima this long to broach the topic of a sequel. In closing out a discussion about the demand for a follow-up, Kojima and his podcasting partners ask gamers to email them if they'd be interested in seeing it happen.

Kojima-san, about your mail server ... we're sorry about its imminent death under the weight of all those emails. Surely you can buy a new one with profits from ZOE 3?

I say bring it! Loved the original and the sequel (though didn't like the anime series). Though I would like to see a reboot of the series or a sequel taking place in the far future - as the characters were the least memorable parts of the series, with the exception of ADA of course :p

I'd love another Z.O.E. I just hope this time it's not something I finish in one two-and-a-half-hour sitting. Much as I loved Z.O.E. 2, I was really pissed when I finished it in a little over half the time it took to finish the first one, especially hearing Kojima talk about how it'd be double the length.

I think a new ZOE would be a great idea and a real treat to all the otaku mecha fanboys out there. Both games were great but I would prefer if they made a sequel. It should have some vague tie ins with the gradius universe as well like ZOE 2 did.

It would be great if you can explore other planets and expand the world of ZOE to other galaxies all together, that would make a truly epic game in the mecha genre.

Kotobukiya made statues, do they count? :p

Nope. I mean action figures. I've even strongly considered getting one of those resin kits of Jehuty (since it only costs about $60 for a nice recast) and trying to add balljoints from Revoltech to one since they are the same size if I recall correctly. I always figured the Revoltech line would just make a carbon copy of the resin models with Revoltech joints in place...

I would like to see a redesign where the flight deck of the mecha doesn't look like a huge dick.

Talk about interpretation of a "cockpit". I'm surprised it didn't got any sh*t stateside.

post-209-1240624467_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

I would like to see a redesign where the flight deck of the mecha doesn't look like a huge dick.

Talk about interpretation of a "cockpit". I'm surprise it didn't get any sh*t stateside.

I just wish the anime had been more "kojima-ey"

Level designs aren't the most complicated so i wonder why can't they make a longer game out of it.

Level designs aren't hard to make I surpose, but it's an aspect that very easily screwed up. I would prefer not to see a ZOE3 if the gameplay was like Dynasty Warriors or A.C.E, to me those are mindlessly gameplay. Kill & kill with the same moves again & again w/o much tactics to apply.

ZOE1 was really short I heard, I don't know how was it compared to ZOE2, but I feel ZOE2 gameplay time was okay, not too short.

If there's a ZOE3, hope the OST are as good as the previous.

• 4 years later...

I am not sure how this news regarding ZOE3 and an upcoming PS3 patch (due July 25) for the HD Collection slipped through the cracks.

Siliconera: We Might Have To Wait A Little Longer For A Zone Of The Enders Sequel

Zone of the Enders HD Collection’s transition from 30 FPS to 60 was not as smooth as Kojima had hoped for. While it wasn’t as noticeable to first-time players, those who enjoyed the original seamless fast-paced games were able to feel the choppiness. Kojima believes that such action-heavy games deserve nothing but the smoothest gameplay to fully enjoy. Due to this problem, Kojima and his team have re-programmed the entire game, and will release a free PlayStation 3 patch that should fix the problem and greatly enhance its performance. There won’t be a patch for the Xbox 360 version for the time being.

Not only has this incident prompted Kojima to work on a patch to fix the problem, but it has also put a halt to the Enders’s Project which was announced last year as a Zone of the Enders sequel. The entire team behind the project has been dismantled, as Kojima would like to re-evaluate the franchise before moving forward, he says. Furthermore, he also wants to re-evaluate fans by asking once more, whether they would still like to see a Zone of the Enders sequel.

If this patch does what Kojima is promising, I may pick up the HD release afterall.

Edited by Duke Togo

I am not sure how this news regarding ZOE3 and an upcoming PS3 patch (due July 25) for the HD Collection slipped through the cracks.

Siliconera: We Might Have To Wait A Little Longer For A Zone Of The Enders Sequel

Zone of the Enders HD Collection’s transition from 30 FPS to 60 was not as smooth as Kojima had hoped for. While it wasn’t as noticeable to first-time players, those who enjoyed the original seamless fast-paced games were able to feel the choppiness. Kojima believes that such action-heavy games deserve nothing but the smoothest gameplay to fully enjoy. Due to this problem, Kojima and his team have re-programmed the entire game, and will release a free PlayStation 3 patch that should fix the problem and greatly enhance its performance. There won’t be a patch for the Xbox 360 version for the time being.

Not only has this incident prompted Kojima to work on a patch to fix the problem, but it has also put a halt to the Enders’s Project which was announced last year as a Zone of the Enders sequel. The entire team behind the project has been dismantled, as Kojima would like to re-evaluate the franchise before moving forward, he says. Furthermore, he also wants to re-evaluate fans by asking once more, whether they would still like to see a Zone of the Enders sequel.

If this patch does what Kojima is promising, I may pick up the HD release afterall.

Hopefully it does fix it. ZOE2 is like playing in molasses at times. I stopped playing because it just felt so off.

• 4 weeks later...

Reports coming in the game patch is now available, and the game now plays at 1080p at 60fps on the PS3. NeoGaf says the difference is huge.

Anyone want to confirm this so I can go ahead and finally buy the HD collection?