Surprise!

izzyfcuk

5. Completely redesign the intake/hip area. THEY SHOULD SPLIT APART. HIPS ARE NOT INTAKES, INTAKES ARE NOT HIPS. See the SHE VF-19S kit for how all -19s should be. Yamato cannot make a VF-19F/S with the current YF-19 hip design---that shows why it's wrong. (this also allows the hips and intakes to look right in both fighter and battroid mode, as you don't have to compromosie one shape for the other)

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Isn't it that TRUST is all about? :rolleyes:

You've seen the mess, and they said they'll clear it up this time. And you take their claim and actually preorder the thing!

yes! i have the mess! :lol:

but seriously, i hope for the sake of everybody pre-ordering these repaints that Yamato is indeed deserving of your trust... :mellow:

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

It's hard to explain, I drew it out when the first CAD of the new YF-19 came out, hoping they'd done so. I'll try to find my drawings. Or, just take a good look at the official lineart in battroid mode, especially the view from behind. Look carefully at the intakes/hips. Basically, if you look at the intake area in fighter mode from the side, the top half should split off and move forward, towards the cockpit. Or, in battroid mode---the intake itself (where the intake cover is) should stay with the upper leg/thigh, but not the area just above/ahead/around the intake. That area should split off and move forward and be part of the torso, not the legs. It HAS to be done that way on the VF-19F, S, and Kai. Thus, it should be that way on the YF-19 as well---it's just that you can "get away with" not separating those parts, and almost every YF-19 model/toy so far has done so. But if you DO do that area of the YF-19 like the VF-19F/S/Kai, you can get more line-art accurate intakes in fighter mode and more line-art accurate hips in battroid mode. (you also bulk up the lower torso a bit so it's not so skinny---and you could probably even incorporate a torso lock when that area slides)

5. Completely redesign the intake/hip area. THEY SHOULD SPLIT APART. HIPS ARE NOT INTAKES, INTAKES ARE NOT HIPS. See the SHE VF-19S kit for how all -19s should be. Yamato cannot make a VF-19F/S with the current YF-19 hip design---that shows why it's wrong. (this also allows the hips and intakes to look right in both fighter and battroid mode, as you don't have to compromosie one shape for the other)

I don't think the SHE kit's hips split apart. though. The ones that did were the 1/100 Bandai 19 kits, and they used a leg-removal-reattachment process.

And anyway, the original Yamato 1/72 19 was based -- and looked a lot like -- the SHE kit. So... They'd be going backwards? Anyway, after inspecting the lineart, I just can't see how it could be done, unless they make the intakes out of play-doh and you could remold them yourself for each mode.

Yeah, I agree the hips are a big problem and aesthetically that's the main reason I didn't rush out to buy the 19 when it first came out. However having bought one a couple of months ago I have had many problems, so much so that the hips are the least of my worries.

I don't even care if the chest locks or not. For me, the biggest issue is: Those thin grey metal blocks in the underside of the cockpit. Is there any way to reduce the stress placed upon them when separating the fuselage??

It's hard to explain, I drew it out when the first CAD of the new YF-19 came out, hoping they'd done so. I'll try to find my drawings. Or, just take a good look at the official lineart in battroid mode, especially the view from behind. Look carefully at the intakes/hips. Basically, if you look at the intake area in fighter mode from the side, the top half should split off and move forward, towards the cockpit. Or, in battroid mode---the intake itself (where the intake cover is) should stay with the upper leg/thigh, but not the area just above/ahead/around the intake. That area should split off and move forward and be part of the torso, not the legs. It HAS to be done that way on the VF-19F, S, and Kai. Thus, it should be that way on the YF-19 as well---it's just that you can "get away with" not separating those parts, and almost every YF-19 model/toy so far has done so. But if you DO do that area of the YF-19 like the VF-19F/S/Kai, you can get more line-art accurate intakes in fighter mode and more line-art accurate hips in battroid mode. (you also bulk up the lower torso a bit so it's not so skinny---and you could probably even incorporate a torso lock when that area slides)

Oh, I see what you're getting at now. The part with the sub intake is separate from the main intake. gotcha.

Heck, I'd be happy with a reissue of the YF-19 with Fold Booster set. At least we'll know we're getting the one with fixed landing gear but without the crooked gunpod mount. Have steered clear of the YF-19 so far because of the uncertainty.

Heck, I'd be happy with a reissue of the YF-19 with Fold Booster set. At least we'll know we're getting the one with fixed landing gear but without the crooked gunpod mount. Have steered clear of the YF-19 so far because of the uncertainty.

Plus farting One!

A pity they took this long to make new schemes for the YF-19. I really wanted an orange supernova but since we never had news I ended up getting the FP buldle. Yamato's orange scheme falls short on what could have been a great recolor.

I'm not big fan of the M plus tan color but in person it does look better.

Only transformed it once and put it in the closed. Remember feeling that it was a bit loose on the legs and difficult to pose (a version 3 would kick ass considering Yamato's latest works). Once I get access to my closet again I really want to take it for a spin again though.

Shouldn't be that hard to make a revised 1/60 YF-19, after all the CADs are already made. I don't think Yamato would need to redo the whole toy form scratch but rather modify a few parts. It'd still be expensive, of course, but c'mon, I mean, we're Macross whores, we'll buy it all over again as we did with the VF-1 2.0's. I know I would.

I can see a few problems in Battroid mode with a thinner gullet-- for one the crotch piece would be further recessed, making the chest stick out more. The crotch piece would also have to be thinner to match the thinner gullet. It would also reduce the vertical space available to split the upper intakes and the main intakes like some people are wanting. However, I agree that a locking chest (and locking gerwalk mode) is a must, if Yamato ever produces a 1/60v2 YF-19, and some of the mods that have been shown on this forum can provide examples of how it can be done!

meh, I don't care if they're limited or not, the repaints are just too uninspired to warrant me buying another yf-19 which has quickly become my 2nd least favorite yamato offering with the 1/100 konig monster still holding that honor.

I preordered the BoP, and kind of wondering at the NutNut...

Nay, I have enough blue units already (mainly Max Customs).

And I didn't buy the YF-21 because it is blue and NOT a Max. Blue is for Max (and Michael) damn it!

The YF-19 mould is the weakest amongst all the Macross Plus mecha so i think i'll skip these repaints until they made improvements to it.

I don't understand all the hate for these designs. I'm glad I got my pre-order in for the BOP YF-19 and VF-22S when I did! Otoh, could it be because of the poor pre-order response that they decided to make these limited editions?

I don't understand all the hate for these designs. I'm glad I got my pre-order in for the BOP YF-19 and VF-22S when I did! Otoh, could it be because of the poor pre-order response that they decided to make these limited editions?

I don't think it's a hate. More like questioning the wasted opportunity for a totally revamped paint scheme on the 19. I like the 22S, but too expensive as I'm holding out for future VF-1, and hopefully that VF-0D. :)

If the 19 had some radical scheme like Low-Vis, or was painted in Focker colours, then I would buy it. But these two repaints are pretty much the same pattern to the original design. And for 200us, sometimes people want something completely new.

Edited by Omegablue

the reason why the YF-19 isn't all that is because theres nothing in particular that makes it stand out.

the paint scheme is beyond boring, the transformation is way too simple to make it interesting, theres no missiles or any other cool features that take it to the same level of awesomeness as all the other yamato offerings. the only thing they made for it was the stupid fold booster which is more of an eye sore than anything else.

the YF-19 is cool in anime but its an epic fail as toy.

Edited by do not disturb

the reason why the YF-19 isn't all that is because theres nothing in particular that makes it stand out.

the paint scheme is beyond boring, the transformation is way too simple to make it interesting, theres no missiles or any other cool features that take it to the same level of awesomeness as all the other yamato offerings. the only thing they made for it was the stupid fold booster which is more of an eye sore than anything else.

the YF-19 is cool in anime but its an epic fail as toy.

The wings of the 19 has the most unique design, the paint scheme is very VF-1-like which is decent, the transformation is most unqiue b4 Macross Zero and Frontier, VF-4(SHE) VF-11, YF-21, VE-1, VF-25, VF-27/VF-0D(if they make any) has no missiles too, as for features, well, u have a color-changing fold booster as an add-on, most unique ever.

To each his own, I suppose. B))

What I hate about the 19 is that it's all flop and it just never seems to fit back together properly in fighter mode. The shoulders never seem to seat properly and the wings are always poping back out. I can forgive the seems, the bicep problems and the crooked gunpod in fighter mode but the floopy mess that it turns into afterwords is just disappointing. It will take more than a simple color scheme change to make me buy another one. If they did a skull squadron on or redid the molds to tighten up the toy so it wasn't so floppy it would be a must buy (it still looks awesome). Unlike the Yf-21/VF-22 I think it's just a missed opportunity to offer something better.

I agree, the YF-19 doesn't hold together well enough. I'd come short of calling it a floppy mess (well, GERWALK is kind of a floppy mess) but I've definitely been frustrated plenty of times getting fighter mode to come back together well. I think it's still a really good toy, best YF-19 without a doubt, but not nearly as stellar as the YF-21. I own the YF-19 Fold set which helps me feel a bit better about it since it does seem like a more substantial toy with the super parts and booster but I'd probably take the VF-11B over the standalone YF-19 even if the VF-11B is pretty small in comparison. Don't expect to be seeing the YF-19 repaints on my site any time soon but I did preorder the VF-22.

Edited by jenius

I don't know why people are so down on the 19.

Well - yes I do.

Because it came out like a million years ago when compared to all the stuff we're getting now. It was the first real accomplishment on Yamato's part that ushered in the "modern age" of mecha products that we love. Everything after was made possible because the 1:60 19 was created.

But it's not as bad as people make it out...

I'd love a fleet of ten :)

pete

pete

Me too, but only after they have made significant improvements to it, so it can feel like an advanced variable fighter, even for a toy, than the current YF21 and the VF11B. So it can also be worthy of the moniker, "YF19 Alpha One"; not "The Floppy One".

Yeah when it first came out it was great. But to bring it out now and not to make any improvements just makes it bleeh. I wouldn't give the one I have up but if they can make improvements like they did fixing the crooked gun pod you would think that they could make some others but just looking at the pics you can tell it possibly will have the same issues......these bland repaints aren't enough to make me want to buy another one of these when I can get a very good VF-1 or VF-11 or YF-21/VF-22 or even one of the destroids.

I don't know why people are so down on the 19.

Well - yes I do.

Because it came out like a million years ago when compared to all the stuff we're getting now. It was the first real accomplishment on Yamato's part that ushered in the "modern age" of mecha products that we love. Everything after was made possible because the 1:60 19 was created.

But it's not as bad as people make it out...

pete

It's definitely bad.

- Neither fighter, gerwalk, or battroid mode excel in their appearance

- no lock for the chest area

- the swinging shoulders don't lock into the chest

- groin/intake area in battroid is a mess, it looks horrible and again no locks

- joints are loose

- fighter mode is held by tension, rather than - yes you guessed it - locks

- seams and gaps everywhere

- and a transformation that will cause breakage, sooner rather than later

IMO Yamato's M+ line only delivers on the VF-11. The YF-19 is the sum of its faulty parts and the YF-21

is only good if you like fighter mode and cant build model kits. Gerwalk and battroid are an insult to the eyes.

I'm crossing my fingers, that hopefully Bandai's 1/100 VF-19 and any subsequent releases of those that Yamato did turn out to be good.

Because then I would gladly replace my YF-19 and VF-0S with those, even if they are smaller and parts-formers.