Surprise!

izzyfcuk

I got an email back from over-drive. They say they should have their pre-sale up tomorrow but they're saying limited qtys and to order right away.

Damn meaining the limited edition of 1,000 units is true ? !

I see Overdrive is selling it but they are $30 dollars more expensive than Hobby Link. Damn now I wish I hadn't held out through the pre-order. Oh well at least I can use SAL shipping with Hobby Link.

I see Overdrive is selling it but they are $30 dollars more expensive than Hobby Link. Damn now I wish I hadn't held out through the pre-order. Oh well at least I can use SAL shipping with Hobby Link.

+1. I just got the notice from Overdrive mentioning the 1000 units limited edition-- and the price at 216 USD. Thats really high considering I placed my pre-order with a local shop at SGD 240--- or about USD 166.

Pity about the YF-21 sale.. I would have ordered one!! Does anybody know how to search for Macross sales/discounts on HLJ?

I got the e-mail from Overdrive saying it was on pre-order, so I jumped on it without shopping around. I don't know what the heck is happening with Overdrive, but I wasn't able to complete the payment through Paypal. It kept hanging whenever I tried to log in to Paypal. I wonder if it's actually sold out at Overdrive, and that's why I couldn't actually complete the payment process?

Now that I realize HLJ has it cheaper I will order from them. I suppose it was a good thing that I had so much trouble with Overdrive.

Thanks for the tip heads-up logos. :)

Just an FYI; even if you ask for it, it's very unlikely that HLJ will actually let you ship it SAL. They refuse to ship items over a certain value by anything other than EMS.

Just an FYI; even if you ask for it, it's very unlikely that HLJ will actually let you ship it SAL. They refuse to ship items over a certain value by anything other than EMS.

That is true.

So, with only a limited (initial?) run of 1000 models, do you guys think I'd still be able to get one if I wait with my order until after the first reviews? I'm seriously contemplating getting either this one or the VF-11B.

~Bowen

If it's really limited... your best chances might be on ebay or some overpriced online shop. Honestly it would probably be the same exact thing as the YF-21, but just remolded/painted in a different color and the retooled respective parts (head, canopy, and bay attachments).

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

I spoke to Overdrive yesterday, they said they were confused how other shops were taking orders on the toy when they had been specifically told by Yamato NOT to take orders yet as Yamato was still figuring things out (including the paint scheme on one of the 19s). I think it's likely that Overdrive waited and then got their MSRP after most other online retailers simply assumed the MSRP would be similar to previous ones. In this case, it will probably burn Overdrive as I find it highly unlikely other retailers are going to hike their MSRP now.

I ordered it from HLJ this morning and they allowed me to use SAL shipping on the VF-22. That's good cause considering where I live SAL only takes a couple of days to a week longer than EMS (well that and I don't get a tracking number). HLJ won't be confirming any of the VF-22 orders until tomorrow though. This was the email response to my order:

Thank you for placing an order with HobbyLink Japan!

This message is to acknowledge that we have received the order below:

Logan

*** Northview Road

Apartment ****

Yorkton, SK ******

Canada

Telephone Number: 306*******

Item Code Description Qty Price

--------------------------------------------------------

YMT00168 VF-22 Sturmvogel II Gamli 1 18800

Shipping Method: SAL

Payment Method: Credit Card

Please note that this order will not be entered into our accounting

systems until May 13 . At that time, we will send you an order

confirmation message with your customer ID, order number and other

information.

Seems a little fishy (but maybe just a time difference issue) and after hearing about how things where going with Overdrive I am wondering if things might change tomorrow.

Edited by logos

Sorry to burst your bubble logos...

Taken from HLJ's site:

How final shipping costs are calculated: The total weight of all items in your order is added to the weight of the box and packing material required for shipment (see below). Then we simply cross-reference the Japanese post office shipping charts and bill you accordingly for the weight and type of shipping you've requested. Again, some requests for SAL shipping may be shipped by EMS instead if the item is too large to go by SAL small packet, or if there are many items in the order and/or the order is particularly valuable (above 15,000 yen).

http://hlj.com/hlj_shipping.html

Even if you selected SAL they'll change it over and charge you for EMS when the item comes in.

And the confirmation for the VF-22 doesn't apply/effect everyone, but just your order. I received my order confirmation two weeks (or so) ago when I placed it. I've ordered plenty of times from hlj in the past and this is their normal procedure.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Is it safe to assume that this toy will use mostly the same mold/parts as the YF-21?

The reason I ask is because I might order it without waiting for any reviews and from what I understand the YF-21 was pretty much flawless and one of the best Yamato valks so far...

Don't quote me on this... from what I can recall (here on the forums) I don't think there were any real cases which a group of people were affected with the YF-21.

If not then you would definitely see people raising questions like... did Yamato fix broken wing flap hip joint elbow bend head tail thing, yet? LOL...

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

so outside of the paint scheme and a slightly different head on VF-22, this is pretty much the same thing as the YF-21.

i like the scheme but for me to spend another $200 on the same toy with the same tranformation, i'm gonna pass.

so outside of the paint scheme and a slightly different head on VF-22, this is pretty much the same thing as the YF-21.

i like the scheme but for me to spend another $200 on the same toy with the same tranformation, i'm gonna pass.

:blink:

You just figured out what it takes to be a Macross collector? ;)

Don't forget the different leg bay door with the internalized gunpod compartment too!

j/k

But seriously, isn't that the case with nearly every macross toy release?

VF-1 - different heads + various paint schemes, D and other 2 seaters with different cockpit as well.

VF-0 - different heads and paint schemes

SV-51 - different paint schemes

YF-19 with anniversary edition and other various repaints coming.

VF-25 - many variants with different heads and paint schemes

and so on...

One thing i have always been curious about, Why is it called the VF-22 and not VF-21 ?

Afterall the YF-19 became the VF-19 and not the VF-20.

The only reason i can come up with is that the concept of the YF-21 drastically changed when they removed the Mind/Brain control system so they had to make a new prototype most likely called YF-22 and then the VF-22 is the production version of that.

Back in the 70s Northrop built the YF-17 to compete against the F-16 for the US Air Force light fighter and they lost, so Mcdonell Douglas went and made some changes and a few years later they renamed it the FA-18 Hornet so maybe the VF-22 was made by a different company than the YF-21 :unsure:

One thing i have always been curious about, Why is it called the VF-22 and not VF-21 ?

Afterall the YF-19 became the VF-19 and not the VF-20.

The only reason i can come up with is that the concept of the YF-21 drastically changed when they removed the Mind/Brain control system so they had to make a new prototype most likely called YF-22 and then the VF-22 is the production version of that.

Your assumption is correct. My understanding was that the YF-21 outperformed the YF-19, but the main issue was the brain interface. So, they retooled the YF-21 to have a standard control scheme, made some improvements (my understanding was the FAST packs became integrated) and called it the VF-22.

Vostok 7

Yeah i think its most likely because they dumped the whole Brain/Mind control thing so they had to made a new prototype without it.

The 21 would never make mass-production anyway if only a few pilots had the psyche to handle it. Though it looks like the Spacey saw potensial in the craft itself and not the radical new control concept.

I ordered it from HLJ this morning and they allowed me to use SAL shipping on the VF-22. That's good cause considering where I live SAL only takes a couple of days to a week longer than EMS (well that and I don't get a tracking number). HLJ won't be confirming any of the VF-22 orders until tomorrow though. This was the email response to my order:

Thank you for placing an order with HobbyLink Japan!

This message is to acknowledge that we have received the order below:

Logan

*** Northview Road

Apartment ****

Yorkton, SK ******

Canada

Telephone Number: 306*******

Item Code Description Qty Price

--------------------------------------------------------

YMT00168 VF-22 Sturmvogel II Gamli 1 18800

Shipping Method: SAL

Payment Method: Credit Card

Please note that this order will not be entered into our accounting

systems until May 13 . At that time, we will send you an order

confirmation message with your customer ID, order number and other

information.

Seems a little fishy (but maybe just a time difference issue) and after hearing about how things where going with Overdrive I am wondering if things might change tomorrow.

Anytime you place an order with HLJ you immediately get an automated order "acknowledgment" that they received the order. I assume a live person actually looks at it and does whatever processing needs to be done to enter the actual order. I believe the delay is the time difference or if you place an order on the weekend, or maybe just the time it takes for a person to review it. Then you will get an order confirmation, but the shipping charge will be "not yet determined." Later on when your item is being processed for shipping you will get a shipping notice with the final amount for shipping and you will get your credit card charged. It is during the final step that your shipping method will change to EMS of the shipment is over a certain dollar amount.

HLJ will only ship an item like the VF-22 via EMS due to its "value, size and/or weight." You can select SAL when you order, but that doesn't mean anything. They reserve the right to ship via EMS to protect themselves on big ticket items. That said, I'm REALLY pissed I missed the Early Bird with them for this one, as I actually waited because I thought I'd get a better deal at OverDrive this time. Man, was I wrong! Regular price at HLJ is still cheaper at this point.