Yoko Kanno Concert (with Mac F)

Tochiro

Aha, so YOU are the guy he was referring to. Its a good think you had a ticket handy because that twat booked his plane ticket before even knowing if he could get into the concert...sigh...kids these days.

Im heading out to meet a friend from Aus who is flying in for the concert tonight. I think I'm going to take him to Eva 2.0 tomorrow. Its my 2nd time like a Kanno concert, seeing Eva on the big screen is one of those things you can usually only do in Japan ;-)

Heres hoping they have some decent merch at the concert on Tuesday - some Tshirts and posters are what Im after so fingers crossed.

Getting up for work on Wednesday is gonna be soooo rough....sigh ^^;

Yeah that's me. ^_^ Are you mad? I'm taking the day off on Wednesday. We're planning a kind of get together to talk and maybe drink.

I can not wait for Tuesday to come around!

Yeah that's me. ^_^ Are you mad? I'm taking the day off on Wednesday. We're planning a kind of get together to talk and maybe drink.

I can not wait for Tuesday to come around!

Mad? Well, I work for a Japanese company and am already getting the Mon and Tue off to hang out with a friend b4 the concert. I might come in a little late on Wed, but 3 whole days off in a row? Company employees get in serious crap for something like that Im afraid. (T-T)

But anyways, heres hoping the concert is as awesome as we are all hoping. Have been waiting (literally) half of my life for this.

Mad? Well, I work for a Japanese company and am already getting the Mon and Tue off to hang out with a friend b4 the concert. I might come in a little late on Wed, but 3 whole days off in a row? Company employees get in serious crap for something like that Im afraid. (T-T)

But anyways, heres hoping the concert is as awesome as we are all hoping. Have been waiting (literally) half of my life for this.

Yeah, my friend who got the tickets had serious trouble getting Monday and Tuesday off as well, so she won't be joining us on Tuesday night, I'm afraid.

And really? You're wondering if the concert will be awesome? Oh ye of little faith... ;)

Yeah, my friend who got the tickets had serious trouble getting Monday and Tuesday off as well, so she won't be joining us on Tuesday night, I'm afraid.

And really? You're wondering if the concert will be awesome? Oh ye of little faith... ;)

I know that japanese companies are a pain.. but I still do it. Take my vacations without worrying about the people. Well except if you got a project going it's ok.

The concert is tomorrow!!!!!

Exactly, tell us how was it. If you have some photos or vids then it would be great if you could share them with us.

Damn it, I'm so sad that I wasn't able to be there. It was a concert of my dreams and probably the only chance in life to see all my favorite performers on one stage.

Oh well, life is brutal...

I didn't get in that night, but I met a very nice high school girl who sold me her ticket for one of the following nights

WHAT!? Gubaba - not only do you get to go to all these awesome concerts, but high school girls sell you tickets in exchange for you spending the following night with them!?

DAMN! You're lucky!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Pete

Well, that 'concert' was disappointing.

I've done a few fun things while here in Japan: saw that giant robot from some Gandamu (or whatever it is, my katakana might be off), caught some trains, watched a few cartoons at the cinema (that Musashi one was particularly good – spoiler alert: he wins the end-fight), and maybe best of all, played some of that Crackdown game on xbox360, even though I really don't like that system because, despite my best efforts, it won't play my blurays.

Having said all that, I can't quite believe I wasted three hours of my life standing around watching about 15,000 sweaty, hyped-up Japanese go absolutely wild about a chick on stage (IN a chicken suit) banging silly tunes out on a piano and then singing a song. And that's not including the two hours spent lining up to buy a t-shirt that might not even fit me.

I was TOLD I'd get to hear that awesome opening song from Macross F, or maybe the opening from that incredible masterpiece Records of Lodoss War, the tv series. Or maybe that Lithium Flower song. Any of these would have been fine. Honest. But no, I get to stand in the dark, nursing a headache as the aural equivalent of fifteen thousand nails dragging themselves down one giant blackboard screeches through my poor ears. Oh, and I had to stand the whole time because apparently getting a 'seat' at a concert means nothing. The. Whole. Time.

Worst point: they wanted us to sing along to this choir song and put the lyrics up on the big screen. Yay, great. WITHOUT SUBTITLES. Absolutely inconsiderate. Then again, I didn't see too many other foreigners there, so I guess they were told beforehand that the really good songs wouldn't be played. Wish someone had warned me.

Best point: no encore. I hate encores. They're so artificial and predictable. Although an encore OF those songs I do like would have been nice.

The orchestra was good. Warsaw Philharmonic. Better in 'Avalon' but this (sadly) was a Kanno Yoko concert, not an Oshii/Kawai one. I saw 'Ghost in the Shell' clips on the big screen but all that meant was this weird Russian-looking chick was going to sing again. Or that emo-looking dude. But I digress. The orchestra was good, the rest was a complete let-down: confusing medleys and bloated ballads. And dancing chickens.

I only went because a friend had a ticket and offered to pay, and I still feel faked out and cheated. To those of you who didn't make it, you didn't miss much.

Thank God these 'Seatbelts' are not due to perform again until the 22nd Century.

Having said all that, I can't quite believe I wasted three hours of my life standing around watching about 15,000 sweaty, hyped-up Japanese go absolutely wild about a chick on stage (IN a chicken suit) banging silly tunes out on a piano and then singing a song. And that's not including the two hours spent lining up to buy a t-shirt that might not even fit me.

I would have paid you to get you out of your suffering, tsk, it would have been profitable for both of us had I been in Japan :lol:

Um, yeah. DreamsOfIshtar's "review" is neither fair nor accurate.

If someone had told me a year ago that I would be seeing the Seatbelts in 2009, with backup singing done by Megumi Nakajima and May'n...I'm not sure what I would've said. But it was awesome.

There was a lot of Macross F (Lion, Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't Be Late, an "Extra Kira!" version of Seikan Hikou, a very dramatic and a lovely ten- or eleven-minute rendition of Diamond Crevasse), lots of Cowboy Bebop (with, as I said, May'n and Megumi doing backup), quite a bit of GITS, and a little bit of everything else (Aquarion, Escaflowne, "Voices"...). YK was on stage most of the time, playing piano.

Then a full chorus was revealed at the rear of the stage, and they all started chanting "ESCA! FLOWNE! ESCA! FLOWNE!" The main singers (Megumi, May'n, Maaya Sakamoto, Origa, and Yamane Mai) left the stage and Kanno conducted the orchestra as the went through a small selection of orchestral music (including "Dogfight" from Macross Plus).

It was an amazing show, mashing together everything that's good about Kanno's works. And I'm really, really glad I got to go.

Edited by Gubaba

I think DreamsOfIshtar complains too much.

Somehow I don't think he realise just how sought after those tickets were.

I personally would have loved to have gone to it but I'm several thousand miles away in another country with work to take care of. Even if I was there, I seriously doubt I'd win the lottery for the tickets.

Gubaba - I think that you, and all the other people at that concert - are now my least-favorite people in the entire world....

Sigh... Time to go drink myself to sleep in sadness and envy... :(

G-glad you... *sniff*... had s-such a... *sniff* *sob*... good time......

Um, yeah. DreamsOfIshtar's "review" is neither fair nor accurate.

If someone had told me a year ago that I would be seeing the Seatbelts in 2009, with backup singing done by Megumi Nakajima and May'n...I'm not sure what I would've said. But it was awesome.

There was a lot of Macross F (Lion, Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't Be Late, an "Extra Kira!" version of Seikan Hikou, a very dramatic and a lovely ten- or eleven-minute rendition of Diamond Crevasse), lots of Cowboy Bebop (with, as I said, May'n and Megumi doing backup), quite a bit of GITS, and a little bit of everything else (Aquarion, Escaflowne, "Voices"...). YK was on stage most of the time, playing piano.

Then a full chorus was revealed at the rear of the stage, and they all started chanting "ESCA! FLOWNE! ESCA! FLOWNE!" The main singers (Megumi, May'n, Maaya Sakamoto, Origa, and Yamane Mai) and Kanno conducted the orchestra as the went through a small selection of orchestral music (including "Dogfight" from Macross Plus).

It was an amazing show, mashing together everything that's good about Kanno's works. And I'm really, really glad I got to go.

sigh...

double sigh.....

a guy can only dream....

but you actually got to see it!!! waaahhh! you lucky dog. :)

p.s. just makes me sadder that someone was pissed off watching it. that golden ticket could have made another KY fan truly happy.

Gubaba - I think that you, and all the other people at that concert - are now my least-favorite people in the entire world....

Sigh... Time to go drink myself to sleep in sadness and envy... :(

G-glad you... *sniff*... had s-such a... *sniff* *sob*... good time......

Okay, okay...it sucked. Three hours of Kanno in a chicken costume, just like DreamsOfIshtar said. Do you feel better now, Bunky?

1, 2, 3, kira!

repeat!

:)

My friend who got the tickets hasn't seen Frontier, but I tried to prepare her for the "Kira!" Unfortunately, I think she was woefully underprepared...I wasn't expecting seven or eight "Kira!"s in a row.

And I think one important highlight of the show, which everyone was talking about... was that Kanno sang Turn-A Gundam's Moon. LOL Gabriela :)

Yeah, Kanno does a really good Gabriela Robin impersonation, doesn't she? ;)

Okay, okay...it sucked. Three hours of Kanno in a chicken costume

You know, there were many fans who jokingly said that maybe she'd go out in a chicken costume, cause she's crazy enough to do that... just imagine my expression when they said she really did. *head desk*

Edited by mike_s_6

You know, there were many fans who jokingly said that maybe she'd go out in a chicken costume, cause she's crazy enough to do that... just imagine my expression when they said she really did. *head desk*

Yes, the evening was certainly not without its touches of the usual head-scratching Kanno style of humor... ^_^

Me, I'm still just weirded out (perhaps more than I should be) than May'n and Megumi were fully integrated into the Seatbelts. Hearing Cowboy Bebop music with them doing the backup vocals kind of blew my mind.

I also thought it was kind of interesting that the two girls kept to the costuming style from the Macross F concerts, with May'n in a slinky, sexy, sequin-y thing and Megumi in a cute, poofy, fluffy dress.

And Mai Yamane looks EXACTLY like I thought she would...one of the only disappointments of the night was that the band launched into "After, in the Dark" from Macross Plus, but it ended before the vocals came in. I mean...c'mon! Mai Yamane's RIGHT THERE! Why isn't she singing it?

And I really hope Megumi's next single has "Voices" as a B-side.

Thanks for your observations from this concert. It's nice to hear that you have great time on this concert. I read posts on http://gabrielarobin.com/ from people that also was on it and they writte that it was excellent.

Now they should release a DVD with this concert, I'm sure that it would sell very good ^_^

Edited by Paliodor

Well, since I started this thread I suppose I kindof have an obligation to put some thoughts down.

First, lets get the negatives out of the way. There was no Kiseki no Umi. There was no Triangular. There was no Lithium Flower, despite the fact that Scott Mathew was there. And, in my opinion, there was a bit too much Macross F and not enough Maaya.

But all of the above complaints come with one caveat – the concert was not about Maaya or Scott Mathews. It was not for Mac F fans or Bebop afns or GitS:SAC fans.

No, the concert was by Kanno, for Kanno, about Kanno. It was her moment to shine, a moment only made possible due to the overwhelming mainstream commercial success of the Mac F OSTs. So huge was this success that the powers that be at Bandai, Victor Entertainment, Geneon, etc allowed her not only to do music from her most popular works live, they also allowed footage from said series to be played as well. This in itself was a huge thing since companies dont normally cooperate on that kind of stuff here.

But anyways, the show was about Kanno. From her initial appearance rising out of the ground in the red leather coat that the Seatbelts live recordings in 2001 made famous; sprinting from the piano mid-song to reveal the Warsaw Philharmonic in the back stage; dancing around in a chicken suit while stealing a cats tail; to revealing herself as Gabriela Robin to the audience without warning or explanation – this was Kanno's show.

She toyed with the audience, faking them out several times over – starting with the intro chanting from Dance of Curse only to switch into a Turn A Gundam track before changing to Macross Plus and then, finally, back to Dance of Curse. Major singers did backing vocals, some did covers that were completely different to their past works (Nakajima with Voices), while others just sang the main chorus 6 times and nothing else (Aquarion).

Many of her most popular songs were shortened and chained into medleys. Why? Because this was her music and she was saying “try hearing it like THIS.” In fact, the majority of the songs were so intertwined that it would be next to impossible to seperate them for any sort of CD release.

In short, it was Kanno at a stunning creative peak, performing on multiple levels. This made for a concert that was just as much a performance as it was a recital.

And it was absolutely brilliant. A once-in-a-lifetime kind of event.

I wont list set lists here. Others have far better memories for stuff like that (and Im amazed that anyone could remember ALL the songs played while also taking the time to groove along). I will, however, list some of my personal standout moments:

-Hearing full versions of Blue, Call me, Call me, and What Planet is This? (complete with audience participation). Mai Yamane was a brilliant spark of continuous energy.

-Maaya singing chorus for Origa.

-Anything by Origa – absolutely brilliant voice. As powerful live as in the studio.

-Nakajima doing a cover of Voices that was VERY close to the original version.

-May'n doing possibly the best live version of Diamond Crevasse ever.

Steve Conte and Mai Yamane doing Rain together. Finally both versions rolled into one!

-Seeing Maaya do Yakusoku wa iranai in person.

-Conte and Maaya duet (complete with surprise ending)

-Kanno revealing the Warsaw Philharmonic.

-And of course, Kanno singing Moon. No explanation given, none asked for, none necessary.

Nice summary of the concert. Thanks Tochiro.

I know that I use to many times word "thanks" but without you guys and your observations/reports and etc from this concert, it would be impossible for me to know how was it on it ^_^

-Hearing full versions of Blue, Call me, Call me, and What Planet is This? (complete with audience participation). Mai Yamane was a brilliant spark of continuous energy.

Yes yes yes. Blue sounded especially incredible, I thought.

-Nakajima doing a cover of Voices that was VERY close to the original version.

I think it was perhaps lovelier than the original version...but maybe that's just because it was live.

-May'n doing possibly the best live version of Diamond Crevasse ever.

"Possibly"...? No, it was bar none THE best rendition of Diamond Crevasse May'n has ever sung or ever will sing. She might be able to sing it with equal passion again, but never d it with more. She EMBODIED the extravagant sorrow of the song, and the slow building climax just made the final section of the song all the more powerful.

- Steve Conte and Mai Yamane doing Rain together. Finally both versions rolled into one!

Yeah, that was something I wasn't expecting, and I thought it was a great decision to do it that way.

-Seeing Maaya do Yakusoku wa iranai in person.

Something I never thought I'd see. It's been YEARS since I've listened to the Escaflowne albums...and yet I still knew every word of the song.

-Kanno revealing the Warsaw Philharmonic.

My friend actually gasped when they came out. The appearance of the chorus was equally dramatic, I thought.

You saw the Macross F concerts; I didn't, so I would add "Lion" on to the list of my personal favorite moments. "Tank" sounded stupendous as well....but I really got chills when the orchestra played "Dog Fight."

In short, it was Kanno at a stunning creative peak, performing on multiple levels. This made for a concert that was just as much a performance as it was a recital.

And it was absolutely brilliant. A once-in-a-lifetime kind of event.

Nice summary! thanks!

in my mind's eye, i just saw the greatest.concert.ever. :D now if only i had reality-creating powers... :p

As you said, truly a once-in-a-lifetime event; i'm sad i didn't see it, but i'm also happy that some of you were able to, and shared your experience with the rest of us unfortunate creatures. :)

I'm going to continue with some less-than-glowing reports, not so much because I seem terribly suited for it, but mostly because I WAS THERE AND SOME OF YOU WEREN'T NYAH NAH I feel these are legitimate issues.

Tochiro: they didn't start with 'Dance of Course' -- it was actually the Gregorian chanting of 'ESCAFLOWNE' that opened and ended the medley. This was a wicked and naughty trick by Kanno: I thought we were in a for FULL Esca medley...although you could argue that combining several quite diverse scores into one relatively seamless suite is a greater achievement.

Before, I was wrong about one thing. We did get 'Kiseki No Umi'. Squished between 'ELM' and 'After, In The Dark'. Says it right there in the programme. Funny, I don't recall hearing Maaya's signature vocals...what? It was JUST the intro bars? As unlikely as it is that a DVD will surface (I thought the camera work was easily DVD level, but I have to concede that a lack of audience-camera and some dodgy shots of the orchestra don't bode well), I'd love to hear it again to see just how little 'Kiseki no Umi' was in there. It rolled into the very, very familiar opening to 'After, In The Dark' far too quickly (which ENDED far too quickly as well). In fact, I'd probably spend that heinous amount of money to fly over there JUST to hear it again and go 'OH COME ON, GIVE US THE WHOLE THING'. But it's entirely possible, as Tochiro pointed out (here or elsewhere), that there might have been rights issues in play.

And that brings me to a second contention: certain songs got full length while others were barely a verse or two in the Super Special Medley a.k.a. oh-crap-we're-out-of-time-quick-mash-the-rest-together. This isn't that bad but something like 'Genesis of Aquarion' or 'Hemisphere' really deserves a full version. I really enjoyed what we DID get of Genesis, though, since it was for the most part the superior 'Space Bio Charge' choir/a capella version and not the decidedly mediocre (and yet award-winning) original.

Making the orchestral medley an 'encore' was silly too. Of *course* there was going to be more orchestra work -- you don't fly the Warsaw Philharmonic out for one night just so that they can pick up the last third of an already truncated 'Yakusoku wa Iranai'. 'Moon' was encore enough, and we didn't even have to shout 'en-co-re' like raving lunatics for five minutes to get it.

Speaking of drowned out, there were a few points where even the mighty Maaya was a bit overshadowed by the volume of the band.

But Nakajima's 'VOICES' was, to me, flawless (and complete, thank God). Akino who?

I, too, wanted more Maaya -- but I wanted 'Mameshiba', which is from the woefully underappreciated Arjuna (semi-okay anime, amazing OST: sound familiar, Kanno fans?). Having said that, Tochiro is again right in pointing out that Maaya's concert/dvd 'We Are Kazeyomi' provides the 'missing' Maaya songs and I fully plan to get my hands on it and custom-making an mp3 set for myself. 6300 yen is still a bit steep, though.

Back to the concert: delightful lack of MC filler. Sure, we like it when the performers fall 'out of character' and chat to us, but when you've an oeuvre of Kanno's magnitude, you don't waste time with 'eeto' and uber-genki giggling. The medleys were a great idea, I just don't agree with some of the choices for compression and/or completion.

Origa is better live. I mean, they were all up to scratch and then some, but seeing her live has increased my appreciation tenfold. And I don't even really like GITS: SAC. While you can see Kanno's magic touch pushing certain 'members' of The Seatbelts well beyond their usual offering (sadly, I'm looking at non-Kanno Maaya here), I've a feeling Origa's voice doesn't require that much of a nudge to be what it is. I certainly intend to find out.

It was fun watching people try to wave their glo-sticks in time with Kanno's complex rhythms. And they weren't singing along unless told! Heck with that, I usually have to mime these songs or sing along while driving. Crowd that large, that loud, you can bet I'm going to roar 'Ikinokoritai!' (*snicker*).

The sax solo at the end of 'Tank' was jaw-dropping. It's a neat tune anyway, everyone gets into it, but that ending was something else. Kanno definitely gave some of her less-prominent Seatbelts their moment to shine. I paid particular attention to the drummer, since I find it to be the least appreciated of the standard band roles...but how many people can move all four limbs not just independently but also complementary? A good drummer keeps the beat, but a great one makes it, ties things together. And the spotlight was definitely on the drums at least once.

As you've probably figured out by now, Kanno isn't the only one who can fake-out. I've been a fan of hers since her Koei days, have heard 'Dance of Curse' live twice now (not sure how many people in the world can claim that) and chanted 'susume susume SMS' right along with everyone else (despite the lack of subtitles). In a way, though, my first post was pointing out what Tochiro clarified: going to that concert as anything less than a fan of her body of work would have produced disappointment. There wasn't enough of any one angle to tip the scales, which in my eyes was actually the beauty of it. Okay, I had my complaints, and wanted more Arjuna and Brain Power'd ('Warriors', 'Departure', 'Ark'...any of those...), but that's just me, out of HOW many people? It was Kanno's debut (in that singing robin kinda way) and we're lucky beyond belief that she got to make it pretty much on her terms. Right down to the silly but clearly enjoyable piano solo.

Not that it took much work, but thanks to Tochiro for convincing me to get my butt up there for the event.

Words simply cannot describe how sad I am that I missed this concert. I am close to tears after reading these impressions. I'm dead serious when I say I would literally pay $500 US dollars for a good quality dvd of the concert. If whichever company/studio that was in charge of this concert doesn't release a dvd I will hate them for life! :(

Words simply cannot describe how sad I am that I missed this concert. I am close to tears after reading these impressions. I'm dead serious when I say I would literally pay $500 US dollars for a good quality dvd of the concert. If whichever company/studio that was in charge of this concert doesn't release a dvd I will hate them for life! :(

I second that. :(

So Yoko Kanno is Gabriela Robin. WOW...I had always wondered who this gaijin was that can sing in such beautiful Japanese...I have the vocals for Aquarion. And it's mismerising... ^_^