Bakuretsu Tenshi / Burst Angel

I suppose most of the anime vets on here have already seen this show, but it's new to me. Came across it on another forum while looking up more bikes for my variable bikes site-to-be.

Anyway, on that other forum people were talking about how awful and hated this anime was (comparing it to Blassreiter; I, on the other hand, actually enjoyed Blassreiter). Well, I just watched the first episode and thought it wasn't bad at all. Visually, I think it's gorgeous. Really beautiful animation and very cool mecha designs. The character design is a bit cartoony for my tastes, but I can overlook that. The action, well, looks like it was directly lifted from John Woo's repertoire. The only thing that really bothered me so far is that it's a bit too on the "let's show fairly young girls scantily clad and looking like sex objects" side of things, with closeups on butts and crotches and nipples for my tastes (yeah, I'm weird, I like that in my live-action, but not in my anime). The one wearing a skimpy cowboy outfit just makes no sense to me.

Reminds me to Bubblegum Crisis in a lot of ways. Group of female mercenaries. Similar personalities, with the youngest/smallest being the computer person, the oldest being in charge, etc. Mecha. Some mecha opponents, and what look to be some more creature-like ones (which I usually don't like, but it was ok in BGC and sequels/spinoffs, and even grew on me in Blassreiter).

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts, just please don't give away any spoilers.

Definately very similar to BGC, I enjoyed it too, not a bad show at all, just derivative of a lot of other things. Also an unconventional, & somewhat blunt ending. If you enjoy it, pick up the OVA, it's got a short animation previewing what a sequal series may have been.

Definately very similar to BGC, I enjoyed it too, not a bad show at all, just derivative of a lot of other things. Also an unconventional, & somewhat blunt ending. If you enjoy it, pick up the OVA, it's got a short animation previewing what a sequal series may have been.

Thanks for the advice. Did the OVA have a specific name (so it's easier to distinguish from the regular series)?

Didn't know about the OVA. Prequel or Sequel?

As for Burst Angel, i felt its one of the cookie cutter Gonzo series. I watched it, not very impressed by it, and can't say it sucked either. I'm quite indifferent to it. I remember when the show was about to air, they marketed it with the taglines "MECHA! 3DCG! GIRLS! ACTION!" in the trailer....which i felt kind of insulted the target audience. :lol:

Oh and i didn't like the mecha's design.

I remember the extra funky OP, "Loosey"

Fans of Sei's epic underboobs will not want to miss this:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKI55119

That's a surprising amount of products for a show that doesn't seem to get a ton or attention, at least around these boards.

Burst Angel Infinity.

Thanks Keith. I've done a quick search for it, but all I've found so far as bittorrents of it that look to be DVD rips, but don't seem to have english subs.

Edited by RavenHawk

My wife liked it...i hated it.

Still waiting for more episodes to download...

Frustrating.

Well, I really liked the first episode.

I like Bubblegum Crisis a lot, but have a bad feeling this show will be about the silliness that I DIDN'T like in BGC, as well as the sexual stuff (ecchi, is it called?) judging from the models based on the show that I dislike too.

Still waiting for more episodes to download...

Frustrating.

Well, I really liked the first episode.

I like Bubblegum Crisis a lot, but have a bad feeling this show will be about the silliness that I DIDN'T like in BGC, as well as the sexual stuff (ecchi, is it called?) judging from the models based on the show that I dislike too.

lol, what do you expect really?

I mean, it's obvious enough. Just by the outside look of it, Burst Angel is supposed to be a silly, fanservicy mecha show (by GONZO nonetheless), I don't think you could take it seriously.

lol, what do you expect really?

I mean, it's obvious enough. Just by the outside look of it, Burst Angel is supposed to be a silly, fanservicy mecha show (by GONZO nonetheless), I don't think you could take it seriously.

GONZO did Blassreiter too though, didn't they?

I thought that one was fairly serious, not to fanserive-y (if I understand the term correctly).

I think I was hoping for something like a cross between Blassreiter and BGC.

GONZO did Blassreiter too though, didn't they?

I thought that one was fairly serious, not to fanserive-y (if I understand the term correctly).

I think I was hoping for something like a cross between Blassreiter and BGC.

GONZO did do some serious stuff, but most of their projects are pure silly, fanservice-y though (like Gravion). Not entirely a bad thing, if you are into campy series and don't take them seriously.

Blassreiter was directed by Ichiro Itano no less, that alone explains its seriousness, and how some CGI action scenes of Blaissreiter are even better than Frontier's, all due to Ichiro Itano's involvement.

Edited by REbirth

GONZO did do some serious stuff, but most of their projects are pure silly, fanservice-y though (like Gravion). Not entirely a bad thing, if you are into campy series and don't take them seriously.

Blassreiter was directed by Ichiro Itano no less, that alone explains its seriousness, and how some CGI action scenes of Blaissreiter are even better than Frontier's, all due to Ichiro Itano's involvement.

Sorry, other than Aramaki and Kawamori, I'm not too familiar with creators by name.

I more know anime by the small number I've watched, which, off the top of my head, boils down to:

Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

Bubblegum Crisis

Bubblegum Crash

Bubblegum Crisis 2040

AD Police

AD Police Files

Armor Hunter Mellowlink

Megazone 23 (all parts)

Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina

Witchhunter Robin

Blood: The Last Vampire

Macross (original redone as Robotech, then bits and pieces of Macross sequels)

Gall Force (1 & 3 & Rhea)

Scramble Wars

Blassreiter

RideBack

Viper's Creed

Starship Troopers

Venus Wars

Sky Crawlers

Biomega (manga, I know, but I keep hoping for an anime)

and some Orguss, Gundam, random other stuff.

As you can tell, I tend to prefer more serious stuff, not really a fan of giant robots but do like some amount of mecha, and if you toss in a motorcycle or, even betterm a variable bike, I'm hooked.

Unlike a lot of people on these boards, I don't know a lot of creators by name, am not familiar with the majority of anime out there... to paraphrase that quote about art, "I may not know anime, but I know what I like."

EDIT: Had to fix some spelling.

Edited by RavenHawk

Sorry, other than Aramaki and Kawamori, I'm not too familiar with creators by name.

Hard to blame ya, but I think you should hear of him somewhere, since he is the one who animated the good ol Macross Missile Massacre and a good part of Megazone 23.

Anyway, manga-wise, why don't ya try out Red Eyes? The mecha in there are not really bikes, but more like Power Armor with skates. The action is good and well-drawn but, the story, on the other hand, left much to be desired in my opinion, at least in recent volumes.

Hard to blame ya, but I think you should hear of him somewhere, since he is the one who animated the good ol Macross Missile Massacre and a good part of Megazone 23.

Anyway, manga-wise, why don't ya try out Red Eyes? The mecha in there are not really bikes, but more like Power Armor with skates. The action is good and well-drawn but, the story, on the other hand, left much to be desired in my opinion, at least in recent volumes.

Sounds like I should definitely be more familiar with that name then.

And on the manga front, Red Eyes? Sounds interesting. Always enjoy power armor, if it's handled in an at-all-realistic fashion. Can you tell me in a sentence or two about the plot?

I'll have to check it out on onemanga.

Sounds like I should definitely be more familiar with that name then.

And on the manga front, Red Eyes? Sounds interesting. Always enjoy power armor, if it's handled in an at-all-realistic fashion. Can you tell me in a sentence or two about the plot?

I'll have to check it out on onemanga.

It's about a veteran soldier (named "Genocide") who got betrayed by his trusted comrades and is now seeking revenge.

That's the basic plot, but the manga also gives more infos about the world around them like the reason why they use Power Armor instead of nukes, the opposing factions, the battles, the development of the Armors...and political stuffs.

It's about a veteran soldier (named "Genocide") who got betrayed by his trusted comrades and is now seeking revenge.

That's the basic plot, but the manga also gives more infos about the world around them like the reason why they use Power Armor instead of nukes, the opposing factions, the battles, the development of the Armors...and political stuffs.

So a bit like Armor Hunter Mellowlink?

Can't tell.

I haven't checked on Mellowlink yet. A shame really, but let's just say I'm not into watching serious show, I prefer campy stuffs for now.

It's set in the VOTOMS universe, sort of a side story.

An infantry soldier whose troop is left to die by their commanding officers.

As the only survivor, he ignores the power armor that everyone else use, and basically spends the series hunting down the officers who betrayed them out of greed and left his troop to die. He uses a motorcycle and an old sniper rifle, while his enemies all have power armor, and takes them down one per episode, uncovering a bit of a government conspiracy along the way.

It's set in the VOTOMS universe, sort of a side story.

An infantry soldier whose troop is left to die by their commanding officers.

As the only survivor, he ignores the power armor that everyone else use, and basically spends the series hunting down the officers who betrayed them out of greed and left his troop to die. He uses a motorcycle and an old sniper rifle, while his enemies all have power armor, and takes them down one per episode, uncovering a bit of a government conspiracy along the way.

That pretty much hit the nail, damn, right down to the political conspiracy part.

Oh well, but instead in Red Eyes, the protag got his hand on one of the best experimental Armors and kicks ass with it.

That pretty much hit the nail, damn, right down to the political conspiracy part.

Oh well, but instead in Red Eyes, the protag got his hand on one of the best experimental Armors and kicks ass with it.

Lol. Yeah, seems like someone may have been a little influenced by someone else's work.

Well, I'll check out Red Eyes on onemanga during lunch. Thanks again.

Ok, I've watched through episode 4 of Burst Angel.

So, basically, every episode Meg gets captured by the bad guy, then Jo goes the rescue her? Is that basically the format for the whole series?

How did this run 24 episodes, plus an OVA prequel, while Viper's Creed and Rideback were only alotted 12 episodes, and the MOSPEADA OVA was almost all old footage? Just doesn't seem fair...

I was hoping this would be a good Bubblegum Crisis substitute for me, in the absences of any new BGC material, but so far it's just kind of boring (though the mecha designs are pretty decent).