1:48 Hasegawa YF-19

tetsujin

Lord, some of you guys are sounding kinda spoiled. :)

It's a 1/48 YF-19, probably at a very affordable price. This is a VERY GOOD THING!

If some parts lack detail, there's an aftermarket opportunity, or a chance for you to show off your mad superdetailing skillz.

He hit the nail right on the head; it's a 1/48 kit for a mere fraction of the cost of a resin offering, and will make for a wonderful super-detailing opportunity. To expect anything more at the advertised price-point would be, IMHO, unrealistic. Too bad I despise the YF-19.

Well, Kremmen, I just kinda hoped there'd be something more to it than a scaled-up 1/72.

I mean, for example, I'm taking Getter 1 and Janx's VF-1 and scaling way up to 7 feet long. It'll be no more detailed or accurate, just bigger. I wouldn't pay it any more mind for anything but its size. It's the same thing, really. Now, if it turns out to have some fixes or details we don't see, I'll likely attempt to get my hands on one. I might still, anyway. But if it does end up better, I'll have to live with my pre-judgement, won't I?

Well, Kremmen, I just kinda hoped there'd be something more to it than a scaled-up 1/72.

I mean, for example, I'm taking Getter 1 and Janx's VF-1 and scaling way up to 7 feet long. It'll be no more detailed or accurate, just bigger. I wouldn't pay it any more mind for anything but its size. It's the same thing, really. Now, if it turns out to have some fixes or details we don't see, I'll likely attempt to get my hands on one. I might still, anyway. But if it does end up better, I'll have to live with my pre-judgement, won't I?

I guess my worldview doesn't work the same way as yours. Bigger is just better to me. Give me any two models in different scales, and - assuming identical quality - I will ALWAYS choose the larger one. I don't see them as being the same thing at all. I like to look at small fiddly models, but can't stand building them. :)

Pardon my ignorance - what's Getter 1 and Janx's VF-1 - paper model?

I guess my worldview doesn't work the same way as yours. Bigger is just better to me. Give me any two models in different scales, and - assuming identical quality - I will ALWAYS choose the larger one. I don't see them as being the same thing at all. I like to look at small fiddly models, but can't stand building them. :)

Pardon my ignorance - what's Getter 1 and Janx's VF-1 - paper model?

Yeah, it's Getter and Janx's VF-1 papercraft. To be specific, the Wolfpack 1J.

Anywho, I say it should be bigger AND have more gimmicks. I mean, you're working with more space. It only makes sense you can squeeze more detail or gimmick in. I mean, the amount of detail increase on this is so marginal, I might as well make a plain scale-up of the YF-19. I'm just sayin', you know.

Forgive me but whats wrong with the 1/72 in the first place? I'm new so I don't know. Also photos showing the correct version vs. the kit please, so I know what you're talking about.

1/72 is a nice scale for models, and probably the easiest to collect if you are anal about scales like I am. I got so bad about it I actually quit 1/72 for the most part, because there aren't many Gundams in 1/72 (save for G-system), and I wanted a uniformed scale collection. It was easier to buy and detail Yamato 1/60's and build Gundam 1/60 kits.

1/72 Macross kits are like this: Tiny Vf-1 kits, roughly the same as an MG 1/100 Gundam kit for battroid kits, and the Mac Zero stuff is larger. The frontier stuff is nice too. If you solely collect macross I recommend this scale, as it's the scale not only the best kits are in, but most of the great casters/designers like Moscato seem to work almost exclusively in that scale for macross mecha.

Personally, I can't wait to build one myself.

But I also can't wait to see what the Japanese modeler's will do with it! Remember all the new schemes, as well as customs that were fully transformable? Thats what I want to see.

Woo, can't imagine it, but quite sure that such custom must need lost of work, patience, and effort.

Edited by gwfalcon

Thanks for the photo links...

Eh... its not that different from the 1/72 scale, I guess I was hoping for more. Might skip this one. Now if they did a VF-1 as detailed as the resin offering, that might sway my me! ;-)

looks pretty much like what I was expecting from Hasegawa: very clean, neat & crisp detail. No big frills; kinda like their F-15 kits.

Now all we need is a weapons set and fold booster from you Cap. That would really give the kit the bulk it needs in this size.

Now all we need is a weapons set and fold booster from you Cap. That would really give the kit the bulk it needs in this size.

I wouldn't mind doing weapons/fold booster for it at some point, but I also wouldn't put it past Hase to save these for a future release of their own. If you think about it, that would fit perfectly with their standard M-O: basic kit first, then add a sprue tree or two, new decal sheet, and double the price! :lol:

Well, here's more pics with a shot of the opened canopy toward the middle of the page:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mplamo/013776/

Damn....why do I get the feeling that my preorder for two won't be enough.....

I wouldn't mind doing weapons/fold booster for it at some point, but I also wouldn't put it past Hase to save these for a future release of their own. If you think about it, that would fit perfectly with their standard M-O: basic kit first, then add a sprue tree or two, new decal sheet, and double the price! :lol:

I wouldn't bet on that M.O. here......how many years has it been and we still haven't seen the aforementioned weapons and fold engine in 1/72? A looooong time and no sign of those yet, nor info that they're going to happen. Frankly weapons and a fold engine for the 1/48 would get my cash right away, never mind anyone still waiting for them in 1/72.

Edited by Heavy Melder

Whoa, whoa.. wait. They made the full battroid head? This brings up some interesting thoughts.

What I really want to see is the parts breakdown. If they molded the whole thing in separate sections, it's just going to be begging for a full custom transformation.

Funny, they actually beefed up the gullet area on this one. Not in the center, but along the sides, between the center gear bay and the intakes. That's definitely more accurate to all the lineart I've seen. Those little cylinders underneath shouldn't have been visible from the front on the 1/72.

The gear look quite a bit better this time around too. The rear gear still might not be quite anime accurate, but they actually look semi-feasible this time. What I don't get is the way they made the wings "sweep"... I realize there are physical limitations at work, and the wings would intersect the legs if they swept like they did in the anime... but this just looks like a weird anime magic substitute.

Whoa, whoa.. wait. They made the full battroid head? This brings up some interesting thoughts.

What I really want to see is the parts breakdown. If they molded the whole thing in separate sections, it's just going to be begging for a full custom transformation.

Funny, they actually beefed up the gullet area on this one. Not in the center, but along the sides, between the center gear bay and the intakes. That's definitely more accurate to all the lineart I've seen. Those little cylinders underneath shouldn't have been visible from the front on the 1/72.

The gear look quite a bit better this time around too. The rear gear still might not be quite anime accurate, but they actually look semi-feasible this time. What I don't get is the way they made the wings "sweep"... I realize there are physical limitations at work, and the wings would intersect the legs if they swept like they did in the anime... but this just looks like a weird anime magic substitute.

The Battroid head is stupid. What's the point? I know I wouldn't bother painting the face of it. Now if they made a Battroid kit...

They finally added the 2nd D to "Edwards". Now if they could just get the space in between "New" and "Edwards" it'd be perfect. :D

Anyways--has it been confirmed the wings actually SWEEP? They don't on their 1/48 F-14. You can put the wings in multiple positions, but they don't move/sweep---you have to modify it just to allow "take it out, and re-attach it at a different angle". I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that on the YF-19---maybe 2 whole sets of wings, one with a big chunk of the root removed, rather than having big slots through the legs.