Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.5

azrael

Very nice. I color corrected the photo a bit. I've pre-ordered this baby. I love armor. This is the 1/60 DX right? Very nice...definitely gonna have it go against a 1/60 full armor PG Gundam RX-78.

Thanks for the photos Priss!, Tokyoshow and CyberGundam!

post-2303-1244851573_thumb.jpg

I'm of the opposite sensitivity :)

After years and years of "getting by" without stands- I'm sick and tired of depriving myselfo f the really cool poses that are possible with modern figures and models and will soon have oodles of stands to use to my heart's content. Ergo - I won't be miffed if Ozma in his armored glory can't stand without er...a stand :)

Pete

I'll say it again "Straight Head Lasers! Sweet!" I can't wait for this to ship in what's it now September?

can't seem to find the answer on this thread...

does anybody know what the extra holes on the re-issue alto are for? is it just for the fold booster or for the heavy armor pack?

thanks!

anybody? 100% sure what those extra rectangular holes behind the head in f-mode are for?

the ones numbered 3 and 4 on the pic below?

3329117123fc951c3776.jpg

Edited by m0n5t3r

I just got myself a reissue alto, man this thing looks good.

how do you guys remove scratches and protect it from it.

just 2 days and mines filled with scratches and some of the paint is rubbing off.

hey bro. glad you're enjoying it. haven't transformed mine yet... put it back in the box for now since i don't have display space for it at the moment.

polishing it might actually rub off more of the tampo printing...

anybody? 100% sure what those extra rectangular holes behind the head in f-mode are for?

the ones numbered 3 and 4 on the pic below?

3329117123fc951c3776.jpg

I'm 98% certain that the holes number 3 & 4 are only for attaching the Super Fold Booster and will not be used to attached any part of the Armored Pack.

If you look at the Armoured Pack, you can see there is no part of it that extends forward where holes 3 & 4 are.

Graham

I just found that the sniper rifle for my 25G is partially melted -- it looks like i accidentally left a couple sticks of incense in contact with it and something in the incense made the plastic soft. Does anyone know whether it's possible to order individual replacement parts for stuff like this?

I just found that the sniper rifle for my 25G is partially melted -- it looks like i accidentally left a couple sticks of incense in contact with it and something in the incense made the plastic soft. Does anyone know whether it's possible to order individual replacement parts for stuff like this?

Not sure if replacement parts are available, but Id be possibly interested in a replacement gun as well, everything on the figure is good except for the sniper rifle which has a case of really floppy prongs on first set of four expanding prongs on the rifle ( came like this out of the box) to the point where i have to keep them closed when displayed in battroid mode.

my head antenna just broke off, anyone knows how to fix this?

The exact same thing happened to my uncle Marty. We gave it some thought and googled around a bit, and you can actually screw the antenna directly into your skull using .02 mm "wignut bolt" screws which are available at Walmart for only 99 cents a pack (one pack of these things contains 100 such screws wrapped in a plastic foil bag - so if you happen to screw up (sorry about the pun) it's no big deal - you just start on another. The screws themselves ought to be dyed in the color of the person's hair. In uncle Marty's case - we did grey. Just stay away from vital portions of the brain and you'll be fine.

164008.jpg

Pete

I feel your pain - its really simple to fix actually. Just glue it back together and when you do so - keep slowly moving so that you can still move the joints back and front for transformations between battroid and fighter. Its not the end of the world, trust me.

If you need more info scroll back a couple of pages for some tips and advice as it happened to me a couple of months ago.

wcikc0.jpg

So.

Here's my verdict:

Gerwalk: I was most surprised by this mode. Everyone complained that Gerwalk mode was unposeable and that the legs just mainly swung straight forward - the end. And when that turned out to be true on my 1/72, I figured it HAD to be true for the DX. Well - it's not!! Did NOBODY notice how insanely wonderfully poseable the Gerwalk is?! Has nobody actually recognized how to get him into anime accurate poses?! Do you guys not see that by unlocking the "hips" you gain the swivel motion needed to really put some cool poses on this Gerwalk? And the feet/ankles are on swivel joints too - so you can easily pose this thing in dynamic gerwalk poses just fine.

THE PROBLEM however is that he WON'T stand in these poses. The feet should have been on ratchet joints - they aren't - ergo he keeps bending forward when you put him in a dynamic pose in Gerwalk mode.

But that's not a tragic flaw. Yamato's SV-51s don't exactly pose well in Gerwalk or Battroid without...a STAND. The same with the DX - just get that Gerwalk on a stand and you can put him in truly killer poses.

Gerwalk is awesome - blows everything out of the water.

FIGHTER:

I was satisfied when I took the fighter out of the (so tiny!) box. It felt kind of "chunky" - but no more so than my Yamato 1/60 YF-19 which is also kind of chunky. Both the YF-19 and the VF-25 share very very hard fighter designs to pull off right - Bandai did just fine with this. The gunpod on a peg is kind of annoying - but in fighter mode it's not so pronounced as in Gerwalk and doesn't therefore bother me.

I was pleasantly surprised by the wheels - particularly the front wheels. They are not as stubby and devoid of detail as I was led to believe. They are not Yamato quality for sure - but they are rugged and just fine.

Fighter mode is a bit naked - what with no missiles, no super pack - nothing really but that gunpod... oh well... guess it's like the YF-19 in that respect....

BATTROID:

This was the BIGGEST surprise.

Has NOBODY noticed just how MISTRANSFORMED this thing is in all of the Bandai promo material - including the blasted instructions. NO WONDER it looks so bulky and "fat" - Bandai COMPLETELY screwed up the transformation. In the pictures, it appears as if Alto's chest is followed immediately by the waste/legs - this is SO NOT TRUE! If you transform him correctly - there is a main body/"stomach" portion between the chest and the waste that gives the VF-25F battroid a sense of being lengthened and therefore makes him totally not chubby.

This also means you don't need that transforming swing bar that the 1/72 employs.

I am pleasantly surprised. I think he looks great next to my Yamato 1/60s. The upper body is well detailed - head and neck especially.

The multiple hands are a bit of a pain in the butt - but then again SOC also uses this method ... heck - Yamato uses this method as well in a sense by giving us numerous cartoon/movie hands... so I'm not utterly displeased - although it would have been nice to have some hands with poseable fingers... But can't I use Gundam hands for that? Maybe... I'll see...

Anyways - all he needs is a stand to show off his badass poses :) Particularly Gerwalk.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Nice Review Pete. I'm going to be getting another figure soon. I have some v2 yamato 1/60 valks and they are really nice. I've been wanting to pick up the 1/60 yf-21 but I can't decide between that and these bandai dx valks. So do you have a preference when it comes to bandai and yamato? lol

You might wanna post some pics then, cause the 1/72 gerwalk is just fine since the knee movement is better. Detaching the intakes is a little bit of a cop out. You can do that to achieve better A poses on many toys, but to achieve forward bent legs is a different matter altogether.

Edited by Cent

You might wanna post some pics then, cause

Will post pics soon as I get a proper stand or figure out how to put Alto in gerwalk on the stands I have. It's not just detaching the hips though - the little underneath section that swings down also gives him leverage. But - yeah - pics upcoming soon...

Nice Review Pete. I'm going to be getting another figure soon. I have some v2 yamato 1/60 valks and they are really nice. I've been wanting to pick up the 1/60 yf-21 but I can't decide between that and these bandai dx valks. So do you have a preference when it comes to bandai and yamato? lol

Comparing Bandai to Yamato is pointless - because they make different thigns mostly; and those which they make that are the "same" are so blatantly obviously different in favor of Yamato that no one will contest it. Bandai's chunky VFs might have some nostalgic value, but clearly Yamato wins hands down in terms of their VFs - whether 1/48 or v.2 1/60 or even v.1 for that matter...

There is no point, IMO, trying to decide "between" the YF-21 and the Bandai DX. Well - if it's a matter of "I can only get one now" I'd say get the YF-21 - it's way more worth the money. That's not the say the 25F is bad - it's not - but it's the "first try" so there's naturally some stuff that could improve - while the 1/60 YF-21 has been done a couple of times and the new version is a real gem due to long experience...

But in general - get them all.

Pete

Will post pics soon as I get a proper stand or figure out how to put Alto in gerwalk on the stands I have. It's not just detaching the hips though - the little underneath section that swings down also gives him leverage. But - yeah - pics upcoming soon...

Comparing Bandai to Yamato is pointless - because they make different thigns mostly; and those which they make that are the "same" are so blatantly obviously different in favor of Yamato that no one will contest it. Bandai's chunky VFs might have some nostalgic value, but clearly Yamato wins hands down in terms of their VFs - whether 1/48 or v.2 1/60 or even v.1 for that matter...

There is no point, IMO, trying to decide "between" the YF-21 and the Bandai DX. Well - if it's a matter of "I can only get one now" I'd say get the YF-21 - it's way more worth the money. That's not the say the 25F is bad - it's not - but it's the "first try" so there's naturally some stuff that could improve - while the 1/60 YF-21 has been done a couple of times and the new version is a real gem due to long experience...

But in general - get them all.

Pete

Thanks for the insight Pete. I will go after the yf-21 first then :)

dang! the exclusive armor parts for Alto are $110 preordered from Overdrive, and i'm assuming this is w/out s/h yet. i wonder what the street price of these will be considering that the exclusive Super Parts are now selling in shops for $100+. :blink: ... it's as/more expensive than the valk its gonna be put on. :wacko:

anybody else wishing Bandai would do a bundled set like Ozma's?

I think it's pretty obvious that the decision was made to "milk" Alto a little bit and make all the add ons exclusives. This makes some business sense since Alto is the main character so people will likely want to buy the add ons.

At this point, I'm resigned to it.

I'll ge the add ons eventually.

Pete