VF/X-36

Temjin

• 4 weeks later...
Nice... I would buy it if it were made into a toy (and had the blue on white colour scheme)

Thanks, the toy will come with build in pencil sharpener. :p

sketchley, playing around with your idea.

idea1.jpg

idea2.jpg

Edited by Temjin

This looks great. Each new picture is better than before. You're definitely onto something with this design. It's great.

Personally, I'd stick with the legs inverted so the feet close to a point in fighter mode. Makes your craft very unique among the valkyries. It would also make the transformation more interesting.

No genius aircraft designer but I always thought separating the boosters provided stability, not maneuverability. If you want something maneuverable you push all the the thrust into one point (uh, in a non-space environment) and pray to God you can develop sufficient enough controls every where else to keep it stable. Speaking of stability, how about a vertical stabilizer?

Edited by jenius

Try the underside with the knees turned outwards - it'll provide more seperation between the thrusters; ergo more manuverability.

Perhaps, but in a situation where maneuverability is controlled by vernier thrusters in a vacuum and 0G environment, this is not necessary, although possibly useful in atmospheric conditions.

Instead, keep the nozzles as close as possible to the midpoint. Keeping thrust in the middle allows for improved acceleration capabilities.

Thanks Mr March :)

and Possible an retractable tail. ^_^

tail.jpg

I say go with a the knees in and the toes together; regardless of what's more stable/improves maneuverability the toes together provides a cleaner look and is overall more visually appealing. I think you should leave off the vertical tail as well. The whole beauty of the X-36 was it's tailless design, throwing a tail on their just spoils the look.

for a plane that transforms into a Giant Robot, I think realistic aerodynamic considerations should take a back seat to visual appeal. but that's just me ^_^

The main reason for separating the nozzles is to get roll control via thrust vectoring, which might not even be possible with the way the feet are right now. The further apart they get, the more rotational moment they'll make when deflected, giving better roll control.

However, the further apart they get, the worse yaw instabilities due to thrust variations get. The reason the F-14 was so prone to flat spins was because of how far apart the engines were, combined with the tendency of the engines to stall. You lose thrust on one side, and it'll do nasty things.. think drifting, but in an aircraft.. planes don't like to fly that way.

No genius aircraft designer but I always thought separating the boosters provided stability, not maneuverability. If you want something maneuverable you push all the the thrust into one point (uh, in a non-space environment) and pray to God you can develop sufficient enough controls every where else to keep it stable. Speaking of stability, how about a vertical stabilizer?

:lol:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-36

Vostok 7

Darn, Wiki kills my work browser. If the point is that the original didn't have a v-stab then yeah, I know, but I just think it'd look cool. Having seen the one straight up though I'm not feeling it.

• 3 weeks later...