Evangelion 2.0: You can (Not) Advance

wolfx

Yes, I talked about it in the Frontier news thread. ^_^

It was pretty much all new animation, but it was hard to tell what changes to the story they're making.

Yippee-Kay-Aay

I can't find the official version, so this fandub will have to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0iVAqph2EA

It's a full minute in both the on-air and "director's cut" versions of episode 22, as well as in Evangelion: Death.

In the new movie, it's like 20 seconds. :(

So that's it. At least it wasn't as badly long as the ending... :(

Torrent with the last 26 minutes is out! But the quality is really bad...

Ugh. Makes me glad I'm in Tokyo this week.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and wait. Avoid spoilers, avoid crappy camrips, and watch the movie in its full glory when the DVD arrives (probably just in time for Christmas).

Seriously, do yourself a favor and wait. Avoid spoilers, avoid crappy camrips, and watch the movie in its full glory when the DVD arrives (probably just in time for Christmas).

Already watched the cam. Seems they changed completely the story... Now i will be just waiting for the BD-rip.

Good advice. Seriously, who hangs out for crappy cam versions of films?

Taksraven

Good to hear that the movie rocks. Though the abundant CGI in the trailers irks me a bit. Mari seems quite popular according to the pic dump sites. I'm all for them marketing the hell out of her provided I like the character. Though I still wish they'd make more Misato and Ritsuko stuff. On another note, Asuka should be able to speak English, being American and all. Unless they dropped that fact since no one remembers it any way (it's one of the reasons why the dub having her constantly swear in German seemed so overdoing it to me). I'm so tempted to read those spoilers, you wouldn't believe. So I'll probably check that cam, like I did with the first. Though like the first, I probably won't watch it. Wish I'd kept it though after all the changes. All I'll ask though is whether there's a good reason why they changed her name after 15 years. Simple yes or no will suffice. Though it should be a yes. I'm hoping they didn't kill anyone off they shouldn't have yet. No stuffing the fridge please. ^_^;; EDIT: Fracking YouTube spoilers. Who writes that stuff under a promo trailer for a film that just came out. Now I've read something about

Asuka being the pilot of Eva-03

that has me concerned. Thankfully, that's all I caught. Hopefully it doesn't play out the same. I', sticking to torrents for previews (though I've been burned by torrent comments before). Better stay away from image sites too in case.

Though really, I hope this is the final version.

The first film was pretty also, but I'm not sure how I'll like having two Eva universes. Sort of the same weird feeling with the new Star Trek.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Good to hear that the movie rocks. Though the abundant CGI in the trailers irks me a bit. Mari seems quite popular according to the pic dump sites. I'm all for them marketing the hell out of her provided I like the character. Though I still wish they'd make more Misato and Ritsuko stuff. On another note, Asuka should be able to speak English, being American and all. Unless they dropped that fact since no one remembers it any way (it's one of the reasons why the dub having her constantly swear in German seemed so overdoing it to me). I'm so tempted to read those spoilers, you wouldn't believe. So I'll probably check that cam, like I did with the first. Though like the first, I probably won't watch it. Wish I'd kept it though after all the changes. All I'll ask though is whether there's a good reason why they changed her name after 15 years. Simple yes or no will suffice. Though it should be a yes. I'm hoping they didn't kill anyone off they shouldn't have yet. No stuffing the fridge please. ^_^;; EDIT: Fracking YouTube spoilers. Who writes that stuff under a promo trailer for a film that just came out. Now I've read something about

Asuka being the pilot of Eva-03

that has me concerned. Thankfully, that's all I caught. Hopefully it doesn't play out the same. I', sticking to torrents for previews (though I've been burned by torrent comments before). Better stay away from image sites too in case.

Though really, I hope this is the final version.

The first film was pretty also, but I'm not sure how I'll like having two Eva universes. Sort of the same weird feeling with the new Star Trek.

Oh, there were already more than two Eva universes. Sadamoto's manga is just as official as the series. And the connection between TV 25 and 26, and EoE is still a hotly debated topic. So there are at least three, possibly four. More if you include the OTHER comics and games.

As for Asuka's name change, they never address it in the movie.

Me, I think it has something to do with all the girls around Shinji having "-nami" in their name (and it's the same kanji for all of them, too): Ayanami Rei, Shikinami Asuka, Makinami Mari. So (perhaps) it was all done for assonance.

Ok, since the movies are mostly a recap of the original series and them some, I have one question. Forget spoilers and stuff, it's trivial, but I'll still watch it anyway when I get a chance. I got this from The Office:

Is Makinami Mari hot? ^_^

Yes.

And she speaks English with the cutest little accent. ("I'll just wait for your instluctions.")

Oh, there were already more than two Eva universes. Sadamoto's manga is just as official as the series. And the connection between TV 25 and 26, and EoE is still a hotly debated topic. So there are at least three, possibly four. More if you include the OTHER comics and games.

As for Asuka's name change, they never address it in the movie.

Me, I think it has something to do with all the girls around Shinji having "-nami" in their name (and it's the same kanji for all of them, too): Ayanami Rei, Shikinami Asuka, Makinami Mari. So (perhaps) it was all done for assonance.

Oh, I'm aware of that, it's just easy to separate them across different media. No one actively debates which is superior or all that other fandom nonsense (like how I almost skipped Rahxephon because so many Eva haters were touting it the superior Eva, it felt more in common with Macross with it's sound focus and I loved a Suncoast "review" that used the 'new Eva' argument as a pivot and was probably written by a guy who'd seen neither. Shame I botched getting my letter about it published in what became their last issue). So I meant more in line of two universes in anime. The new Star Trek still fits in existing canon, though my concern there is that they'll get all remake happy with this ridiculous Khan talk, but that's another thread. The movie TV difference never bothered me much when the movie is considered canon (I liked both actually). Wikipedia mildly finished off part of that spoiler, so I'm no longer driven nuts by it. Just a damn shame.

I'm wondering if it has to do with assonance or if there isn't some deeper meaning yet to be revealed. Or maybe just their way of saying this is not the Asuka you've always loved/loathed. It sounds like they've made enough changes to reinforce that. I'd like to think they threw that monkey wrench into the works for a better reason than just making their names oddly rhyme.

How'd the CGI look in the film? It was rather omnipresent in the trailers and quite the eyesore for the most part, looking very much in the "it's there because we can" mood of early GONZO stuff.

How'd the CGI look in the film? It was rather omnipresent in the trailers and quite the eyesore for the most part, looking very much in the "it's there because we can" mood of early GONZO stuff.

I liked it. There wasn't a whole lot that looked too "computer-y." If the first movie didn't bother you in that regard, I doubt the second one will.

Hmm, it's been awhile, but it sort of did if memory serves. It could just be the still frames from the blu-ray comparison. It always looks worse not in motion. Though, as long as the trailer is the worst of it, I suppose I'll manage. Just not a fan of celshading.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

What's up! (OFF TOPIC)

I didn't know where else to ask nor wanted to start a new thread for this question below.

Do any of you know if there exist an EVA-01 Type F add-on for the Bandai Perfect Grade EVA-01 version, either an original kit, or molded cast? Maybe G-System, but I could not find any info on their site.

Too bad there is no "hold shift down and drag to increase size" for these model kits.

post-2303-1247550790_thumb.jpg

Edited by doodler7

So I watched the cam rip.

Of course I didn't really understand [strikethough]every[/strikethrough]anything.

New slightly-less-disturbed Asuka didn't seem bad to me. Bare minimum she's good at fanservice (how in the world has the straw scene not been plastered all over the internet yet?)

Honestly I like the slightly more sane cast, without knowing what they're saying, atleast.

I'll chuck this into an evangelion thread even though it is not related to the films. Can anybody identify this angel.....

6igpok.jpg

The pic has been floating around for years. Is it just a bit of random evangelion art, or was is planned to be an angel and not shot.

Thanks.

Taksraven

I'm talking about the picture on the left, BTW.

Edited by taksraven

I'll chuck this into an evangelion thread even though it is not related to the films. Can anybody identify this angel.....

6igpok.jpg

The pic has been floating around for years. Is it just a bit of random evangelion art, or was is planned to be an angel and not shot.

Thanks.

Taksraven

I'm talking about the picture on the left, BTW.

I heard that it was a fan-designed Angel. That there was some kind of contest or something.

Probably just a rumor, but you never know.

I heard that it was a fan-designed Angel. That there was some kind of contest or something.

Probably just a rumor, but you never know.

It was a pretty cool as well as vicious looking Angel. Looks like a really nasty brawler.

Taksraven

Well one thing's for sure.....the hollywood trailer will rope in more american moviegoers than if they used the Japanese released one. :wacko:

I find it interesting though that "Evangelion" in english is pronounced as EE VAN GEH LIEN. Shouldn't it be EE VAN JE LEON ? And very odd for Misato to refer to it by its full name too.

The voices in the American trailer make me cringe, but I will give it one thing... the Eva's roar sounds MUCH better than the original. The Japanese version made me think they grabbed on of the Gainax interns, shoved a mic in his face, and said "say 'RAAR' a couple of times."

The voices in the American trailer make me cringe, but I will give it one thing... the Eva's roar sounds MUCH better than the original. The Japanese version made me think they grabbed on of the Gainax interns, shoved a mic in his face, and said "say 'RAAR' a couple of times."

Did you know that voice of Rei (Megumi Hayashibara) actually did the EVA roars? :p (Now where did I read that from though...)

What bugs me is when Funimation showcased the dubbed version at Anime Expo, I heard that the dub was praised by the audience...

Did you know that voice of Rei (Megumi Hayashibara) actually did the EVA roars? :p (Now where did I read that from though...)

What bugs me is when Funimation showcased the dubbed version at Anime Expo, I heard that the dub was praised by the audience...

Really?

I thought it was a recording of a cow and some animals then they slowed it down and did some other stuff to it?

Really?

I thought it was a recording of a cow and some animals then they slowed it down and did some other stuff to it?

I would've thought the same too, but I read that particular info from somewhere, I think it was SankakuComplex...

Here we go!

Seiyuu Surprises: Same Actor, different roles (NSFW of course)

She did Bulbasaur from Pokemon too...

I never had my mind blown so many times in one minute.

Edited by shiroikaze

I would've thought the same too, but I read that particular info from somewhere, I think it was SankakuComplex...

Here we go!

Seiyuu Surprises: Same Actor, different roles (NSFW of course)

She did Bulbasaur from Pokemon too...

I never had my mind blown so many times in one minute.

my mind has been blown all over the walls, this is going to be a bitch to clean up <_<