Best Anime Ever

VFTF1

Much as I love Macross, I've gotta say "My Neighbour Totoro" takes first prize as best anime ever. I've seen it captivate 4 year olds to 40 year olds. In my opinion, its charm, character, and heart easily rank it as a "timeless classic" as someone else already mentioned. I even think Disney did a more than serviceable dub for those who don't take to subs.

Best series: Gundam. It's the longest running series for a reason. The UC timeline alone is amazing in it's story telling, Seed was great IMO as well, and Turn A proved they can still be original. All the others were great as well, even Wing, which had lame characters yes, but the suit designs were awesome.

Best film: I'm going to have to say DYRL...Amazing how a film can be so much better than the series, working with much less of a timeframe. Close runner up is Lensman.

Best OVA: Detonator Orgun...This series floored me, really.

Much as I love Macross, I've gotta say "My Neighbour Totoro" takes first prize as best anime ever. I've seen it captivate 4 year olds to 40 year olds. In my opinion, its charm, character, and heart easily rank it as a "timeless classic" as someone else already mentioned. I even think Disney did a more than serviceable dub for those who don't take to subs.

The orignal Englsih dub of Totoro was fantastic. I actually can't stand the new Disney dub though, the girls sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. Aside from that, the Disney dubs have been great. I just find it unfortunate that Disney doesn't have faith in real voice actors and instead relies so heavily on name recognition. For god's sake they have Hannah Montana's sister and one of the Jonas Bros. voicing characters in the upcoming Ponyo on a Cliff dub. <_<

Edited by eriku

I think I gave GL a fair shot. I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes and by that point I had so little interest left that I didn't bother to watch anymore. I have no reasons to bash it or hate on it, but for various reasons it's just not my kind of show I guess. I don't even like the mechs enough to track down a toy. I do see where the appeal is, but it's just not for me.

You didn't make it to episode 8? That's the one that completely hooked me (and most likely, other GL fans, too). Before watching the series I was like, " mechs with faces in their chests? Puh-lease " , but at the end of the series it ended up being tied with Cowboy Bebop for my most favorite anime I've seen. Half way thru the series, after the timeskip, it's a non-stop roller coaster ride of action. I just couldn't stop watching the series after that until I finished it :lol:

Edited by Mellow Yellow

My fav is the original Area 88 OVA series. Absolutley brilliant.

It has awesome action, plenty of violence, a "modern samuari" main character, beautiful animation, classic 80's soundtrack, angsty characters, and intrigue.

Agreed!! Definitely one of the most under rated Animes in time. Shins F-20 Tigershark was awesome, But his F-8 Crusader was the best. 4 20mm cannons, cant go wrong there!! B)) Betrayal, remorse, sadness, revenge and a Bitter sweet ending.

I'm amazed that Ninja Scroll,Vampire Hunter D, Patlabor, Appleseed, ND Tank police and FMP haven't been mentioned.

ok...

Vampire hunter D is the best anime movie EVER! the first Patlabor movie and Akira are tied with it too.

yeah, Ninja Scroll... that was uber cool... but the TV Series they made after was utter crap!

Rahxephon - made me fall asleep... i get the cool timeless love story thing going on but the slow pace of the storytelling really made me lightheaded and sleepy :p

Studio Ghibli - i liked Princess Mononoke the best...

Edited by m0n5t3r

As far as I'm concerned there's no choice - if you'd have to ask me favorite anime ever wether it's a series, an OAV, a film.... my answer would always be Visions of Escaflowne. It's probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a flawless anime... wether you're talking plot, characters, animations, designs, music, action... A freaking masterpiece, that's what it is.

(The movie however probably ranks as my most disspoiting anime ever)

-Sergorn

Hard to have a best anime ever. But if you ask me what i'll rewatch again and again, it would be:

1.) Macross DYRL

2.) Cowboy Bebop

3.) Gunbuster

4.) Trigun

5.) Gungrave

Gotta say I love One Piece. That is my favorite ever.

Funny, well developed characters. Lots of tie ins to old episodes, so everything has this universal connection. Also, it has lots of HAPPY ending type moments. I'm so sick of animes having to be "dramatic" or have that unhappy ending.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a close second.

Might have a shot at my favorite ever, but there were parts that were just boring and didn't fit with the story in my opinion.

Detective Conan is pretty high on my favorites list too.

Gotta like murder mysteries and an odd but good main arc plot.

The obvious answer is the movie, Crystal Triangle.

But seriously, if I had to pick one anime, hmmm... I guess I'd pick Nausicaa.

My fav's are...

Macross Plus

Bubblegum Crisis original series

Mospeada

Area 88 original OAV

Best anime ever?

Macross: Do You Remember Love. This movie was perfection in every way (IMO).

There are other anime titles that also rank up there. Certainly Gunbuster and the Gundam Movies Trilogy. As well as many of the Studio Ghibli films (Porco Rosso perhaps being my favorite).

Edited by Vifam7

Series: MacF

Movie: Appleseed: Ex Machina

Manga: Ghost in the Shell series

Ok... now for the fine points... I chose MacF for theses reasons. It incorporates classic elements of the entire metaseries, while giving it an updated look with the CG Mecha.

Appleseed: Ex Machina (English Translation) is, for me, quite amazing. With the level of detail, from the environments, to the characters, all done in CG, it makes for exceptional eye candy. But beyond this, it has a really cohesive plot (much better than the first one, if you ask me), and the English Translation even worked well.

Now, as far as Manga is concerned, I gotta go with Ghost in the Shell... I like a LOT of what Shirow Masamune has done, and for me it's a tie between the Appleseed books, and GiTS. Since I already mentioned Appleseed, I thought it'd be fair to throw another title in there.

Uuchu Senkan Yamato

- Awesome story

- Space Soap Opera

- great characters/development

- Cosmo Tigers (mecha)

- Hadou cannon/ Wave Motion Gun

- the music. Isao Sasaki and an orchestra behind him? WIN.

That's...that's hard to argue with. :D

Series: MacF

Movie: Appleseed: Ex Machina

Manga: Ghost in the Shell series

Ok... now for the fine points... I chose MacF for theses reasons. It incorporates classic elements of the entire metaseries, while giving it an updated look with the CG Mecha.

Appleseed: Ex Machina (English Translation) is, for me, quite amazing. With the level of detail, from the environments, to the characters, all done in CG, it makes for exceptional eye candy. But beyond this, it has a really cohesive plot (much better than the first one, if you ask me), and the English Translation even worked well.

Now, as far as Manga is concerned, I gotta go with Ghost in the Shell... I like a LOT of what Shirow Masamune has done, and for me it's a tie between the Appleseed books, and GiTS. Since I already mentioned Appleseed, I thought it'd be fair to throw another title in there.

As far as manga goes, Appleseed is WAY up there for me...or at least, it would be if he'd actually FINISHED THE DAMN STORY!!! (Hell, even resolving the cliffhanger ending of Volume Two would've been nice...) <_<

While not my favorite (though it ranks up there in my list of mecha anime), I haven't heard anyone mention Z.O.E. One of the few anime that I actually enjoy watching in English, actually. Other Mecha favorites include BGC, Patlabor, and Full Metal Panic. Non Mecha would be King of Bandit Jing and Crest / Banner of the Stars. Though I'm sure there are better, this is just from my limited collection thus far.

You didn't make it to episode 8? That's the one that completely hooked me

Yeah - I should have seen that episode coming a mile away, but it reall surprised me and did indeed hook me.

But the "it just seems like a kid's show" analogy is not that far off the mark. However; that is part of its' charm... In any event, I guess ultimately it boils down to whether you love the characters or not. Obviously, if you don't, then you're not going to really want to sit around watching what happens to them over the course of 40 episodes :)

Pete

Best TV series: Macross Frontier. Honorable mention - Macross 7 and SDF Macross.

Best movie: DYRL. Honorable mention - Wicked City.

Best OVA: Macross Plus. Honorable mention Bubblegum Crisis and Macross Zero.

Macross Frontier rocks, great music, astounding animation, beautiful mecha designs, well choreographed fight scenes, likeable, non-angsty characters etc, etc.

Graham

Macross Frontier rocks, great music, astounding animation, beautiful mecha designs, well choreographed fight scenes, likeable, non-angsty characters etc, etc.

Graham

No mention of "great storytelling/plot". Is it intentional or ... B))

By the way, back on topic:

my best anime ever is "Conan, Boy of the future"

See, i love Macross, but the animated had to many poor spots to be a 'best.' Macross Plus is a very strong contestor for Best OVA, but it relies on you having knowledge on macross for the complete experience. In fact i honestly couldnt say the best OVA, coz none Ive seen id rank as that great.

i mentioend Bebop as best series, which Ill stick with. For a movie, wings of Honeammise would be my choice. Its just awesome on every level i think. I have the design book here somewhere.....

Honorable mention: The first 27 episodes of Euerka Seven is probably the best anime I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Interesting, I preferred the second half myself....

The obvious answer is the movie, Crystal Triangle.

But seriously, if I had to pick one anime, hmmm... I guess I'd pick Nausicaa.

My fav's are...

Macross Plus

Bubblegum Crisis original series

Mospeada

Area 88 original OAV

Awesome list! This would be my top 5, though in a slightly different order :)

My favorite of all is still probably Cowboy Bebop. Even the english dub is outstanding, I actually am guilty of prefering that version. Beyond that, I'd say TTGL, Macross (Plus probably the tops), and Big-O (inspite of the ending.)

So people keep bringing up Gunbuster..is there a prefered release of it to watch? And what about the sequel?

My problem with this thread (and the reason I haven't made any real picks for it) is that I draw a strong line between what I LIKE the best and what actually IS the best.

Stuff I like may be objectively good or it may not be. Likewise, I may see something as objectively good, but not enjoy watching it very often.

For me, criteria for "best anime" would have to be:

1. Major influence on the medium.

2. Story and characters that feel true, and are interesting and worthwhile to contemplate.

3. A strongly developed world that is fascinating in and of itself.

In terms of influence, there are really only a handful of directors who count: Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Oshii, and Hideaki Anno. All of them have had their ups and downs, though.

Miyazaki has probably has the most worldwide influence, so let's go with him.

For points 2 and 3, Nausicaa has everything except the characters (there is only really one fully developed character in the anime), so perhaps Princess Mononoke (which in many ways seems like a reworking of Nausicaa) miht be better. Spirited Away is of course the most internationally influential, but I think Mononoke is a better film.

As for stuff I like, while I enjoy deep, resonant stories, they're not necessary. As long as the anime doesn't treat me me like an idiot, I'm usually reasonably happy. If it has giant robots, even better. If it's really long and epic, I'm VERY happy.

Macross fits the bill nicely. So does Yamato. And the original Gundam saga (MSG, Z, ZZ, and CCA, although the whiplash-generating shift from tragedy to comedy between Zeta and Double Zeta is almost a deal-breaker). And Legend of the Galactic Heroes. And Cowboy Bebop. None of them are flawless, but I enjoy them all hugely.

But I think, overall, I'm gong have to go for Evangelion (both the series, the movies, and - so far - the new movies) as my all-time favorite. It's not perfect, but it's the show I find myself going back to most often, and getting more out of it than mere nostalgia. The religious symbolism goes nowhere, of course, but since I like that kind of stuff, it pushes it past the others for me.

Edited by Gubaba