Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Sorry if this has already been discussed but is this "Ranka Valk Girl" going to be made into an actual kit release?

vf_27_wpack.jpg

From what I read. It seems that ALL VF27 will come with the one of the images on the back. Whereas the second image will be on the back of the re-issue of VF-25F and the limited pro shop version.

Can anyone confirm that?

From what I read. It seems that ALL VF27 will come with the one of the images on the back. Whereas the second image will be on the back of the re-issue of VF-25F and the limited pro shop version.

Can anyone confirm that?

Can anyone who can read Japanese shed some light on this subject?

Thanks

Interesting, sprue H and I are from the VF-25, though a lot of parts aren't used.

Also, those markings are really going to suck to do, if you're the "trim off all the excess clear" type of modeler. (the VF-25 at least had blocky, angular color bits for the most part)

I wonder if they'll "increase the contrast" for the green ones. They were quite subdued in the anime.

You know, I just realized they'll probably put Grace on the boxart for the green one. Might be the first piece of merchandise with her on it... (magazines don't count)

I honestly think it's tradition with Bandai. I mean, the main pelvis piece on Alto's was molded in black, with multiple large white stickers to make it mostly white with a black edge. How utterly pointless was that?

So I'm bettering Brera's has a large, prominent piece molded in red, that will be 90% covered in lavender? stickers...

Indeed! I guess because it's a nudge for us to paint them instead. If memory serves, these are usually ones that need a metallic finish, right? That's hard to do with water slides.

I can't wait to get this kit! But I have to until after Christmas. Guess that gives me time to see what others are saying about gotchas and any problems. Loving the pictures so far though!

Anyone want to volunteer to translate the colours? I can probably work out the ones that are the same as the other kits and any mixed paints that match, as well. I'm guessing there will be a few new reds, purples and pinks in this one though.

Indeed! I guess because it's a nudge for us to paint them instead. If memory serves, these are usually ones that need a metallic finish, right? That's hard to do with water slides.

I can't wait to get this kit! But I have to until after Christmas. Guess that gives me time to see what others are saying about gotchas and any problems. Loving the pictures so far though!

Anyone want to volunteer to translate the colours? I can probably work out the ones that are the same as the other kits and any mixed paints that match, as well. I'm guessing there will be a few new reds, purples and pinks in this one though.

It's usually pretty arbitrary as to what they decide to throw in a foil sticker for. Inexplicable stickers like Alto's visor (seeing a foil sticker for Alto's clear green visor makes me weep), the crotch, Ozma's head sensors, forward nose sensors, the green gunpod sensor, etc.

Took a quick gander at the color sheet (kinda sketchy surfing Hobby Search pages at the office), but here's a few colors (my Japanese is limited)-

Column 1 (first color scan, looks to be the main fuselage colors)

1. wine red 85%, clear blue 10%, clear red 5%, little bit of white

2. wine red 80%, purple (i assume that's what "sumire" is) 10%, clear blue 10%

3. purple 65%, wine red 20%, white 10%, clear red 5%

From Dengeki:

020152788.jpg020152789.jpg

What is happening at the Battroid's shoulders??

My antivirus says there is "infostealer" on that site...can anyone move the picture here or elsewhere safe? I cannot even open it.

EDIT: still wondering whatever happened to the Q-rea, they even had a painted prototype way back when the VF-27 was only a 3D sculpture only.

Edited by regult

Stupid question.. is there any reason why those booster nozzles are asymmetrical? Frankly, they look retarded that way..

I dunno.. I like the design enough, but the decals look like they'll all have to be painted on to look decent (the ones in the photos look terrible.. looks like it was built in one sitting, and may well have been :lol:), and I wouldn't use that color scheme to begin with.

If I ever get one I'll probably wind up doing some sort of random custom.. maybe Milia retired her VF-22, and moved to one of these. :) Or maybe I'll use a set of Nora decals on it..

Oh well. At least it looks like they made the visor clear green this time.

How are you guys protecting the water slide decals? Are you using some kind of enamel clear coat like Testor's, or what? I have a VF-25S kit coming and I'd rather not have to use the stickers since they're too damned thin and the Yellow doesn't look right...

I wish they could have done the stickers like they did for Alto's, they weren't thin like Ozma's. Why they didn't is beyond me

-Kyp

How are you guys protecting the water slide decals? Are you using some kind of enamel clear coat like Testor's, or what? I have a VF-25S kit coming and I'd rather not have to use the stickers since they're too damned thin and the Yellow doesn't look right...

I wish they could have done the stickers like they did for Alto's, they weren't thin like Ozma's. Why they didn't is beyond me

-Kyp

I use Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear as a final coat for all of my built up models. Testors Dullcote also works just fine. They not only protect the decals, they also give the model a nice "flat" color which makes it less toy-like.

Edited by Vifam7

Thanks, I've also heard of people using Future, does that also work?

-Kyp

I think using Future is more for those who have airbrushes. I've heard it can be brushed painted on, but I don't trust my brushing ability. :)

Plus, Future is a gloss-like coat, so to make it a flat coat, you have to mix with some kind of clear flat solution.

Edited by Vifam7