Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Looking closely at the VF-27 battroid model in the pictures, it looks like there might be some inherent weakness in the shoulder to chest joint as there you can see quite a bit of superglue has been used to either hold the arms in place or to fix a break, you can see some of the fumes have created some crazing on to the shoulders due to the amount of glue needed.

That said i do like the look of the VF-27 fighter mode, apart from the silly purple bits on the top of the nose, which in the anime are obviously meant to be part of the paint scheme but Bandai has translated into raised panels. I'll still buy one though and break out the sanding stick if needed.

I like the new Fast Pack cannons. I've always loved some long-rail cannon weapons, and I have the urge to strip them off this new model and add it to the Armored for some extra firepower. :D

Not a fan of the Tornado pack. The twin guns on top look very goofy and un-military. One of the things I like about Macross mecha design is that it has always been a lot more 'grounded' in reality than many of it's peers. This seems to be stepping away from that.

As I type this, I realise in a very vague way this reminds me of the 'Stampede' Valkyrie, which I never liked too much either.

Well there's that... Plus, it just looks like a$, making it that much harder for me to suspend my disbelief. I really don't see why they couldn't just paint the regular super-armor pink and call the squadron the Pink Peckers or something; that would've been far more visually acceptable than that, that... Twin-barreled, Gundam reject-inspired monstrosity.

I can see why the new pack is light on weaponry, they won't need it: when the Vajra see them, they'll just laugh themselves to death.

The Captain's judgement of epic fail stands.

So what I'm hearing here is that you're kind of on the fence with regard to this design...

I like the new pack, though my first choice would remain to be the armored pack from the series.

The one thing I would change on the Tornado would be the design and mounting of the beam canon.

They just look too fragile and art-deco... :ph34r:

Now, shift them out a little and beef them up, something like a pair of gunpods mounted above the body, and

it would be perfect.

just when I thought the VF-25 couldn't get any uglier, that tornado pack is stupid ugly, I mean, it looks like some sh!t out of Gundam with it's huge cannons and extra wings, looks like it's another aircraft, I don't like it... thank you Bandai, for pushing your stupid ideas into Macross to sale more worthless ugly crap

I get the idea their trying to do, they're adding a new novelty a la DYRL Strike cannon... but it was 1 cannon and minor difference, not 5 wings and 3 cannons joined by 2 dildos

Edited by Valkyrie addict

just when I thought the VF-25 couldn't get any uglier, that tornado pack is stupid ugly, I mean, it looks like some sh!t out of Gundam with it's huge cannons and extra wings, looks like it's another aircraft, I don't like it... thank you Bandai, for pushing your stupid ideas into Macross to sale more worthless ugly crap

I get the idea their trying to do, they're adding a new novelty a la DYRL Strike cannon... but it was 1 cannon and minor difference, not 5 wings and 3 cannons joined by 2 dildos

i agree... the way that macross frontier takes is really for childs... nothing compared whit DYRL and macross plus atmospheres . i still hope in a new footage of original macross (like buronson do with hokuto no ken gaiden saga)

Edited by torc

Just looked on pics with this Tornado pack and have to say that it's the most ugliest thing that I saw so far if it goes about valkyrie packs. It looks awfully childish...

I knew that Bandai invent something to earn a little more cash from Macross F. After all they are the best if it goes about milking Gundam then they are probably thinking why not make the same with Macross...

Hey, ugly FAST packs save me money. :) I sure hope the green VF-27 release isn't delayed for ugly movie designs though...

Speaking of green - is there any official art of the cannon fodder VF-25? I don't feel like watching the whole series again for screengrabs and I want to do something with the G I snatched from HLJ.

I think I must be one of the few people who actually likes that new VF-25 design...

You are not the only, and I dont think that we are a "few" ;), its a good desing.

The usual problem with a new desing is that you cant reach all tastes, if this desing seems a gundam desing is not strange becouse there many desings done in gundam after to many years, and its not bad becouse some of gundam desings are very good works.

A must buy for me :)

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

I'm reserving full judgment on the Tornado pack until I've seen it in action in all 3 modes. The beam cannons look a little... I don't want to say 'girlie' per se, but at least fragile. I assume that is because a beam/particle/laser/gun would have very low recoil so that it needs less reinforcement, and the whole pack is designed to allow for atmospheric use.

If it looks daft in Gerwalk and Battroid I'll probably give it a miss, but on the single published image, 10 frames of animation from the trailer and a few photographs of a kit (which I assume is still in development), I won't write it off just yet.

Plus, I'm not sure it qualifies as lamest Super/Strike Pack add-on in Macross just yet. I always thought the 'Packs for the VF-19 looked a bit silly with the huge boosters attached to their shoulders, and that is nothing compared to some of the super-robot-esque gadgets Sound force was given to play with IMHO.

Wow! aircraft mode looks fantastic... (great design) - but gotta figure out a shade of matte dusty rose that looks military (any precedents anyone?)

"Me likes it...." I am going to wait for the neon-orange-pink- stripes version though... Over the top colors for stealth type space fighters seems to be the way for Macross..

Nice VF-27, as pointed out, the battroid mode looks a bit off, mainly because the torso is a bit longer than that of the VF-25 kit, and it is obvious the radome (overall cockpit area) is longer than the VF-25, at least in the b mode. It does not look any longer in fighter mode tho...weird!

EDIT: WHERE is the Q-rea?!?!?!?!!??!

Edited by regult

I have a question about the water slide decals. Has anyone had a difficult time with them? I had already messed up two of the decals, one of which disappeared and then found dried up under my thumb. Im very close to abandoning the water slides and using the clear stickers instead.

Anyone have tips for those decals? I already have the decal setter solution and plenty of clear gloss paint, I just need some direction.

I have a question about the water slide decals. Has anyone had a difficult time with them? I had already messed up two of the decals, one of which disappeared and then found dried up under my thumb. Im very close to abandoning the water slides and using the clear stickers instead.

Anyone have tips for those decals? I already have the decal setter solution and plenty of clear gloss paint, I just need some direction.

Microset. Brush some where the decal goes, do the warm water decal dunk, apply decal sliding it off the backing (cut the sheet up), apply more via light brushing on the decal, use a q-tip to set in final place. Allow to dry, then Clearcote.