Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Did you do each one by hand... one at a time, or did you dunk just the red tips? How did you get the red tips so even all the way around?

Thanks - great work by the way!!

How did you paint all those little missles? :wacko:

I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but theoretically, you could create masks for the missiles by punching the appropriate diameter hole through some masking tape and spray the desired color (say, white.) In the case of a two-toned tip, I would use the same hole puncher(belt strap punchers are awesome!) and use that to punch little red circles from a solid red decal sheet and apply those to the tips. It's a bit of a long PITA, but the results will be crisp and uniform... Just an opinion.

I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but theoretically, you could create masks for the missiles by punching the appropriate diameter hole through some masking tape and spray the desired color (say, white.) In the case of a two-toned tip, I would use the same hole puncher(belt strap punchers are awesome!) and use that to punch little red circles from a solid red decal sheet and apply those to the tips. It's a bit of a long PITA, but the results will be crisp and uniform... Just an opinion.

Thats a good idea... belt strap puncher eh? Hmm wonder where I could get one of those.

I was thinking (purely a mental exercise at this point), but how to paint the bottom black, but have the missle bodies white (white tube all the way down to the bottom) and a red tip. I was thinking maybe spray the whole thing gloss white, then do a thin black heavy wash so the black sits/pools at the bottom (hopefully leaving the missle bodies white) then dunking the white tips into a small pan of red paint to get an even red tip at the top.

Thats a good idea... belt strap puncher eh? Hmm wonder where I could get one of those.

I was thinking (purely a mental exercise at this point), but how to paint the bottom black, but have the missle bodies white (white tube all the way down to the bottom) and a red tip. I was thinking maybe spray the whole thing gloss white, then do a thin black heavy wash so the black sits/pools at the bottom (hopefully leaving the missle bodies white) then dunking the white tips into a small pan of red paint to get an even red tip at the top.

I did the heavy black wash method and it works well enough, though I was bit a sloppy about it and some of the wash got on the sides of the missiles. However it was acceptable to me since it just made the insides look kind of dirty.

The problem with simply dipping the missiles into some red paint is that half the missile racks are not flat, even rows. They're mutiple rows sitting at different heights. Check out the attached pic. The missiles look like they're in level, even rows, but they're not; they all sit at different heights. The innermost columns (closest to the leg) stick out the furthest. :wacko:

post-5703-1252436724_thumb.jpg

You could just take some brass tube and file a sharp edge on one end and use that as a punch. Also stack up the tape so that each punch gives you multiple masks.

I was thinking you could use some tubes as missile masks too.

I haven't tried this yet, but this was going to be my approach:

- spray the whole thing white with acrylic paint

- use black wash at the base as already mentioned

- come back with sponge dipped in windex or ammonia and wipe off the tips of the missiles, exposing the red plastic underneath

In theory, the missiles are the correct colour of red already so this might work. The problem would be getting the wiped area to be sharp between the white and the red. Not sure if this would work well but I'm willing to give it a shot!

I did the heavy black wash method and it works well enough, though I was bit a sloppy about it and some of the wash got on the sides of the missiles. However it was acceptable to me since it just made the insides look kind of dirty.

The problem with simply dipping the missiles into some red paint is that half the missile racks are not flat, even rows. They're mutiple rows sitting at different heights. Check out the attached pic. The missiles look like they're in level, even rows, but they're not; they all sit at different heights. The innermost columns (closest to the leg) stick out the furthest. :wacko:

post-5703-1252436724_thumb.jpg

Hey that looks really great!

Cobywan - thats a lotta tubes!!

mickyg - that's a good idea too, let us know how it pans out! You could also paint the red underneath in enamels, then do your steps and the windex won't affect the enamelled red.

What would've been ideal is if they had molded the missile launch housing separate, just a perforated plate molded in dark grey, and then mold the missiles all clustered together on a single back plate on a white sprue, then the modeler could combine them to have a more realistic loking missile set and container. Also much easier to paint. But hey, I'm not in charge at Bandai... Perhaps they will use a similar method if they end up making a perfect grade.

What would've been ideal is if they had molded the missile launch housing separate, just a perforated plate molded in dark grey, and then mold the missiles all clustered together on a single back plate on a white sprue, then the modeler could combine them to have a more realistic loking missile set and container. Also much easier to paint. But hey, I'm not in charge at Bandai... Perhaps they will use a similar method if they end up making a perfect grade.

Macross in not an area that Bandai is familiar with. Macross Mecha use more missiles and cannons than Gundam. While Gundam usually use laser rifles and laser saber. Their experience in manufacturing missile based machines is not that much.

Thought this might get lost in the 1000 plus responses to the Bandai Frontier thread.

Just saw this at HLJ. Looks like it's set for a November release.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960999

Also, does anyone know anything about the 1/72 Vajra that Bandai was supposed to be coming out with, too? I remember seeing a prototype pic a few months back, but haven't seen anything since then.

Also, does anyone know anything about the 1/72 Vajra that Bandai was supposed to be coming out with, too? I remember seeing a prototype pic a few months back, but haven't seen anything since then.

Still a "Concept". At this point, it's looking to stay that way.

Macross in not an area that Bandai is familiar with. Macross Mecha use more missiles and cannons than Gundam. While Gundam usually use laser rifles and laser saber. Their experience in manufacturing missile based machines is not that much.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I really wish people would stop saying that the only thing Bandai has experience with is Gundam.

It's simply not true. Before Gundam, they made loads of mecha from other series (and they still do), and many of their older kits have excellent detail (1/100 Xabungle kits, L-Gaim kits, etc.). Heck, they made very nice military armor kits in the 70s and 80s. And they certainly know how to make proper missiles.

It's more likely that this was a cost-based decision. The Macross F kits are already quite expensive, do you really want to make them more expensive just by adding some additional detail that an experienced modeller could make all by himself? Styrene sheet is available for cheap, and a drill to make the holes isn't all that expensive either...

Awesome VF-25 Honkhet. Even though its handpainted, its brilliant.

Mr. retarder, do you mix that with the paint?

Its been a while since I can log on and comment because I forgot me user name haha.

I still havent got a VF-25 kit yet, I think I'll get the new one :o (The one with the Ranka decals lol).

:D

I wonder what the VF-27 would be plastered with later on... Ranka? or... Grace.. hmm, Grace in a bikini decal set for VF27 :)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really wish people would stop saying that the only thing Bandai has experience with is Gundam.

It's simply not true. Before Gundam, they made loads of mecha from other series (and they still do), and many of their older kits have excellent detail (1/100 Xabungle kits, L-Gaim kits, etc.). Heck, they made very nice military armor kits in the 70s and 80s. And they certainly know how to make proper missiles.

It's more likely that this was a cost-based decision. The Macross F kits are already quite expensive, do you really want to make them more expensive just by adding some additional detail that an experienced modeller could make all by himself? Styrene sheet is available for cheap, and a drill to make the holes isn't all that expensive either...

Actually the statement is partly true. Bandai has the "most" experience with Gundam kits since that is their bread and butter line. They typically only produce Macross kits when they have a hit TV series they've sponsored.

Then there is also the dilution of the Macross merch market with BigWest giving licenses to just about anyone who'll buy one, which is beginning to overlap the Bandai lines...

Warning: long + RANT

Actually the statement is partly true. Bandai has the "most" experience with Gundam kits since that is their bread and butter line. They typically only produce Macross kits when they have a hit TV series they've sponsored.

There's no 'banging head on wall'-icon, which is disappointing, but it would be totally appropriate here.

Read what I wrote again. I am not contesting that most of the kits they produce (now) are for Gundam-related franchises, I am saying that they have more than enough experience with non-Gundam franchises. Franchises that involved very intricate and detailed kits in a time where their Gundam kits were pretty awful (to say the least). Quite a lot of Bandai's 1980s non-Gundam kits put contemporary Gundam kits to shame in terms of details and engineering. Bandai know how to make detailed missiles.

That most of their current experience is with Gundam kits does not diminish that fact in any way.

But I suspect that some people simply will not and don't wish to understand this. I am also constantly amazed by the apparently total lack of any comprehension of the price vs. quality gradient behind the production of a kit of these same people. You CAN'T have a highly detailed high-quality kit for very little money.

The more complicated the design, the more complicated the tooling required for it is, and the more expensive the kit will be. A transforming kit requires a lot of engineering, so it's more expensive. A highly detailed kit requires more engineering due to having more parts, and thus it's more expensive.

Add to this that the smaller the (expected) market for a kit is, the fewer kits will be produced. In a small franchise (and Macross is small, let's say it) this means the individual kit price will be higher because less kits need to bring in enough money to pay for the tooling that may indeed be as expensive as the tooling for a higher volume kit for a more popular franchise.

So: More complicated = more expensive AND smaller market = more expensive.

Right now I guess the top-end (non-Perfect Grade, which are a niche product) injection molded (styrene) kits representing some mecha are around 4,000-6,000 yen for a Master Grade-style kit (9,000-10,000 yen tops for a large kit). It looks like this is independent of manufacturer (check Kotobukiya's, Hasegawa's, Bandai's prices), so apparently these prices are what all manufacturers think the buyer is prepared to pay. If they develop a kit, and they overshoot their development budget, they will stop the kit's development.

A nice (and very rare public) example can be found by going to Hasegawa's (Japanese) homepage and hitting the banner for their Virtual-On kits. You'll find a kit of the Myzer Delta that, I am sure, would be awesome to have and build. Now translate the Japanese below it, and you'll find they stopped its development because they overshot their budget by incorporating a transformation mechanism (their first) in the design. The design is done, the manual and CG artwork is done, they simply won't produce the metal molds for the thing because they overshot their budget. The most expensive Virtual On kit on the market right now is Kotobukiya's Raiden, at 8,800 yen. The only thing more expensive than that are same-scale (1/100) resin kits that are long out of production, which top out at 12,000-13,000 yen. So from this we can safely deduct that Hasegawa's Myzer Delta, should they have continued development, would likely have been more expensive than that. In their eyes, unsellable.

Overshooting their budget in this case meant "if we continue development of the Myzer Delta we put all our potential future Virtual On models in jeopardy". It certainly accounts for the total lack of new mold Virtual On models from Hasegawa this year (normally they have 1-2, this year they only released a repaint of Temjin). I respect their decision, although I feel very disappointed that the Myzer Delta wasn't released this year. However, their strategy makes sure it might be released in a few years time, when they have recouped their losses caused by this error.

So, where do I want to come with this rant? Simply: If you can get a highly detailed, transforming model of a lesser known subject for a (very) low price, there's likely a catch.

Either the engineering is sub-par and parts don't fit or break when you try to make them fit, or worse, when you've completed the model and try to transform it. Or the material choice is poo. There's kits out there that look fantastic in the box, then you start to build them and discover the vinyl crumbles at a touch, the resin is full of bubbles and was mixed with diesel oil to dilute it, the 'styrene' is not styrene but something else that reacts badly to both glue and paint, etc. So finally you realise you wasted your money on crap.

So quality and good engineering comes with a price. Obscurity of the franchise also comes with a price. Mass-production of a kit limits the price at which it can be sold. Everything together dictates a minimum price and a maximum price for a kit, in between which the price at which it will be sold can be decided.

Several companies have gone bankrupt in the past because they tried to sell kits from obscure subjects for probably too low prices. Some several times. Any modeller will have heard a story about a little resin kit manufacturer who announced a great kit with excellent detail, only to screw up along the way and deliver a horrible product, go bankrupt, or simply disappear together with the money for the pre-orders people made.

If you think all this is bullshit, why don't you go and try to produce a high-quality, highly detailed, low-priced kit yourself?

Edited by Salamander

Isn't it about time for some appetizer pics of the Q-Rea?

I heard that it was supposed to be released this month, so hopefully they'll have something to show in the next couple of weeks. I have to say, I think that the Q-Rea's proportions are really a let-down though. Between the two, I actually think the 26 year-old Imai kit looks better(though that was the TV verson.)

I heard that it was supposed to be released this month, so hopefully they'll have something to show in the next couple of weeks. I have to say, I think that the Q-Rea's proportions are really a let-down though. Between the two, I actually think the 26 year-old Imai kit looks better(though that was the TV verson.)

The Robot Damashii Q-Rhea is coming out in November. I have, unfortunately, not heard a peep about the 1/72 model. I suspect they are attempting to press the VF-27-mold to the factory on-time as opposed to getting a new mold out.

its been a year since i cut a sprue for the very first time...

i'd like to thank the bandai DX design team for this!

if it weren't for them, i would have never got into modelling until now

Man, for just one year on plastic modelling you have done an outstanding work with all your VF-25's. Congratulations!

Cheers

Hey guys,

about month ago I finished my first Valkyrie, it's VF-25F Messiah Valkyrie Alto Custom. Before this plamo I have collected only gunplas but since my first contact with Macross Frontier and then SDF Macross I just fell in love with the design of the valks and just have to buy one. That's how my VF collection started. Currently I finishing my next kit, VF-25G and will also post some pics ass soon as possible. But for now here are some pics of the VF-25F:

Fighter mode

fightermodewithlandingg.th.jpg cockpitcloseup.th.jpg fightermode6.th.jpg fightermode3.th.jpg

Gerwalk mode

gerwalk2.th.jpg gerwalk7.th.jpg gerwalk6.th.jpg .

Batroid mode

batroid12.th.jpg batroid14.th.jpg batroid18.th.jpg

Kit is made OOB, only minor details have been hand painted, it is also without any clear coats because in the future I would like to paint the whole model. You can see the rest of the pics on my blog

Well I was in Hong Knog this past weekend. Ozma Armored were mostly all sold out. I found one for about $75 USD. Due to a typhoon warning I was stuck in my hotel and built the kit. I'm a little dissapointed that the armor is not like a toy. Meaning the armor is integrated onto the Skeleton.