Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

K, gotta this.....

I HATE DECALS!
totally ruined the ones for the ghosts....I'm better off just paying them and taking just the SMS ones if I can and slapping those on there. DAMMIT do I hate this! Now I gotta come up with a mix or just entirely repaint it.

A great Kit for Ozma Armored. I loved it and it's really an engineering design. Hope to get my Alto later and add the new decal on it. Sticker would be easier but I don't like it as it comes off easily after a while.

Cheers,

ikhii

post-3479-1249845094_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1249845162_thumb.jpg

For the people who have some (or all) of the special decals...

Are you guys making scans of them? And if not, could you make some high-res scans and put them up somewhere for us?

Some of us really can't afford the real things... but if we had some good high-res scans we could probably make our own?

I just got my first MF model kit (VF-25G)... and I keep seeing these new kits+decals and thinking to myself "Can't afford it - Can't afford it".

(It doesn't help any that I'm a "collector" type of person - AND my GF wants an engagement ring.)

Thanks! ;)

Edited by CosmicSpore

For the people who have some (or all) of the special decals...

Are you guys making scans of them? And if not, could you make some high-res scans and put them up somewhere for us?

Some of us really can't afford the real things... but if we had some good high-res scans we could probably make our own?

I just got my first MF model kit (VF-25G)... and I keep seeing these new kits+decals and thinking to myself "Can't afford it - Can't afford it".

(It doesn't help any that I'm a "collector" type of person - AND my GF wants an engagement ring.)

:blink: I'd be more concerned about the engagement ring than the decals. If you can save up for a ring, you can save up for a set of decals.

So, how many VF-25's can you guys build before you get sick of building the same model over and over? ;)

Eventually I'll get around to finishing the SMS team, but I don't foresee myself touching the original Deculture Campaign decals I have anytime soon, much less all these new decal sets. :blink:

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forgot the upcoming VF-27 and Queadluun-Rea! I'll want one of each of those too. :lol:

Edited by Lolicon

Works for me! I've got a VF-1D Hase kit to build up when I'm done with my 25G. This thing is taking forever! I seriously doubt I'd have the patience to launch into another 25 right away. Sometimes I wish I'd just built it, decalled it and called it finished. But NOOOO, I have to go and try to make mine look realistic! I know, I know, it'll all be worth it when it's finished...

Works for me! I've got a VF-1D Hase kit to build up when I'm done with my 25G. This thing is taking forever! I seriously doubt I'd have the patience to launch into another 25 right away. Sometimes I wish I'd just built it, decalled it and called it finished. But NOOOO, I have to go and try to make mine look realistic! I know, I know, it'll all be worth it when it's finished...

I hear ya loud and clear! I can't even think about doing the rest of the squad... ;-(

A great Kit for Ozma Armored. I loved it and it's really an engineering design. Hope to get my Alto later and add the new decal on it. Sticker would be easier but I don't like it as it comes off easily after a while.

Cheers,

ikhii

thats great work ikhii!

i'm glad to see some people starting to post completed armored vf-25 models, about time

i think the armored vf-25 kit is superior to the super vf-25 kit in every way,

esp in terms of how the legs lock into fighter mode instead of js hanging there,

as well as the proper display support for gerwalk and battroid modes.

the super vf-25 was either rushed or they really missed out some serious considerations

Cheers,

ikhii

Great work and nice pics ikhii.

I recently finished my VF-25F and now I will practice my painting and assembling skills on the 1\100 saviour Gundam (poor plamo XD ) and after that I start to work on my next Macross kit. And it's VF-25G that have arrived from HLJ three days ago. The only things that are left for me to buy are Luca and Ozma units and super parts for VF-25F after that I probably start to collect Hasegawa kits and will wait for the VF-27 and Queadluun-Rea...

Heh, I have to say that almost year ago I was only gunla fan but since my first contact with Mac F and later Zero and SDF\DYRL my passion for fighter planes from my childhood have returned. And since few months I focussed mainly on Macross kits.

Thanks Paliodor & Honkhet, I love this Kit and can't wait to build Alto Armored. Will take more photos later after I put them side by side ;)

For now, here comes Gerrrrwalk... and it is starting to grow on me & may become one of my favorite mode as well. I should get 3 of these...hahahah...

:D

post-3479-1250169755_thumb.jpg

Edited by ikhii

thanks for more great pictures ikhii :D kep it up

one question, does the armored vf-25 gerwalk mode display adapter work for the super messiah as well?

i am really hoping it does....

Oh... never came across my mind but after you asked... I couldn't resist to try it... so... result was not 90% fit but ...

110% perfect fit with 10% satisfaction!!!

Check out the pics and forgive me for taking even more photos of this baby as could not stop pressing the shutter button.... ahhahah..

ikhii

post-3479-1250178943_thumb.jpg

Edited by ikhii

Just a question before I start planning my Armored kit... Can the yellow-hatch missile pods all open up while still in fighter mode? That would be all 4 leg pods, the 2 chest pods and the 2 shoulder pods.

Just a question before I start planning my Armored kit... Can the yellow-hatch missile pods all open up while still in fighter mode? That would be all 4 leg pods, the 2 chest pods and the 2 shoulder pods.

Yep, everything can be open in all 3 modes.

Cheers

Oh... never came across my mind but after you asked... I couldn't resist to try it... so... result was not 90% fit but ...

110% perfect fit with 10% satisfaction!!!

Check out the pics and forgive me for taking even more photos of this baby as could not stop pressing the shutter button.... ahhahah..

ikhii

post-3479-1250178943_thumb.jpg

that is simply awesome ikhii! i am so glad

the display stand adapter seems really good!

am i hoping the armored battroid display adapter works good for super battroid as well

the orignal display adapters worked fine for bare naked vf-25,

but it was really having a tough time handling the weight of the super vf-25

in the super version, all we got was a new adapter that could work jet and gerwalk mode,

which doesnt even allow u to attach the gunpod in jet mode, and was poor at supporting gerwalk

Finished my first Mf model. A Super Ozma. He looks great, even though I was not trying to make him 100% perfect in everyway. (this was my practice kit to see if I could even do it)

I am very impressed with this guy, even with no paint and just using the stickers he looks superb. He has nice tight joints that allow him to have a variety of poses, and his hea dis not turtled down into his chest.

When i first got the kit and opened it up, and saw all the littel pieces, and the japanese instruction book I was a bit daunted, but the book works like a lego builder book, with nice pictures thoughout. Really took no time to build this guy quick and dirty and he still looks better than my dx toy...

The real annoying part for me was the stickers...man some of those itty bitty white stickers that go in the super pack are unreal.

Still all in all a I consider him a sucess and look forward to building my super alto Michael and Luca (bought super packs seperat for luca and micheal).

Once I am done with those I will definately get an armored Ozma.

Thanks for pointing me to these awesome little guys. I was so disappointed in my dx toy Michael I was aafraid I would not be able to get a decent 3d representation of these guys.

Now Bring on the Lucifer!

congrats dude on ur first super messiah model :)

glad to hear that u like it more than ur DX

i myself have made 4 super messiah kits,

my only complaint is that the fighter mode doesnt lock together,

and that the display stand adapters do a poor job supporting the weight

due to this i have actually removed all the super parts from my kits,

and they are all in the normal bare naked vf-25 modes right now...

from ikhii pictures, i see that the armored version is a big improvement

also the armored vf-25 actually locks together in jetmode

cant wait to get my hands on one!

So no one is gonna provide scans of the special decals? *cries a little inside* :(

So anyone else have trouble starting their first Frontier kit?

I just got my 25G (from the awesome sale at hlj) last week and I've wanted it so badly for the longest time.

The problem is, I've wanted it so bad I want to get it -just- right, and to do that, I know I need lots and lots of free time.... but of course I don't have lots of free time, and I have 2 other models I've already started working on and never finished...

So everytime I think of starting it, I say to myself... "What? Are you going to get 1 piece done and then go straight to bed?" And I lose all my enthusiasm for starting it.

Anyone else get that, or is it just me? :lol:

Hey, I have been thinking about getting the VF-25F armored Messiah. Wondering if the model requires paint or can you get by with the bare plastic? I've done some Gunpla before and was satisfied with the results without paint and just some gundam marker but this would be my first Macross kit and I was just wondering.

Hey, I have been thinking about getting the VF-25F armored Messiah. Wondering if the model requires paint or can you get by with the bare plastic? I've done some Gunpla before and was satisfied with the results without paint and just some gundam marker but this would be my first Macross kit and I was just wondering.

It's about the same. You can get away with just Gundam markers, but it will look hundreds of times better if you paint.

Dalong normally does a straight build on his review kits with no paint, stickers or decals. Check those out if you want a sense of just a no-paint build.

Hey, in the Hobby Japan scans a little while back, they showed the VF-25 ankles being modified with ball joints. It looked like the ball joints themselves were prepackaged custom parts for mecha models. Does anything know who makes these things or where to get them? Would love to install something like that on my current VF-25, before I start assembling the armor.

Hey, in the Hobby Japan scans a little while back, they showed the VF-25 ankles being modified with ball joints. It looked like the ball joints themselves were prepackaged custom parts for mecha models. Does anything know who makes these things or where to get them? Would love to install something like that on my current VF-25, before I start assembling the armor.

Nevermind I found them. For anyone else who's interested:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-T01

Wow some really impressive work. ikhii, is your armored Ozma Lee painted? or is that just build right out of the box? im curious to know how good or bad the kit is if I dont paint it.

Here is my recently assembled Alto VF-25F. Im not a serious modeler and didnt want to shell out the money for a toy. since I shelf my toys anyway I thought the kit would be a good choice, since I havent made models in a long time.

anyway here are the pics. I ordered the super parts and the SMS stand. hoping they arrive tmw. dont know for sure as it was sent USPS.

Aside from dry rubbing the silver accents and painting the figure, I used a 005 micron pen for the panel lines and jsut built the kit right out of the box. came out pretty decent. not a show piece by any means. but it looks decent. good enough for me haha.

dsc0214j.jpg

dsc0208f.jpg

dsc0209d.jpg

dsc0211rtp.jpg

dsc0213e.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

Wow some really impressive work. ikhii, is your armored Ozma Lee painted? or is that just build right out of the box? im curious to know how good or bad the kit is if I dont paint it.

Hi, you'll be surprised that i did not do anything else than just panel line and sticker it. ;) Out of the box is what is shown in the photos. Except for one part where I paint it white, which is the wing's missile cover. That part should be white in color so I use tamiya spay paint on it. Other than that, all are out of the box.

I guess this might sound good news for those who don't have the time or equipments to paint it. It's just simply wonderful.

Cheers,

ikhii

Hi, you'll be surprised that i did not do anything else than just panel line and sticker it. ;) Out of the box is what is shown in the photos. Except for one part where I paint it white, which is the wing's missile cover. That part should be white in color so I use tamiya spay paint on it. Other than that, all are out of the box.

I guess this might sound good news for those who don't have the time or equipments to paint it. It's just simply wonderful.

Cheers,

ikhii

wow amazing. that just cemented me to get one. Specially since the DX is over $200!!! NICE.

Im building the VF25G also.

One thing Im worried about though is the forward landing gear bay. The bay doors seem to just float, and arent actually attached to something. Every time I open or close them they just fall apart. Is there something Im missing>

Well done!

How did you get that weathered look on the feet?

it was rather simple. I used Tamiya gunmetal and tamiya flat black. I first used a trick I learned from Botcon '09, scrub the plastic with a toothbrush and gojo/orange pumice hand cleaner. the tiny pumice beads will scrub the surface of the plastic and make it nice and matte and even. helps to get into crevices and oddly shapped objects.

Then i dry brushed the gunmetal over the brown feet. Next I lightly drybrushed the flat black to look like soot.