Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Mr hobby and Tamiya topcoat is almost identical and it's extremely common outside of japan. It does not damage decals in any way and I'm saying this from experience. I've built around 15 or so master grades a ton of high grades and not once been unsatisfied with how the topcoat turned out. One note of interest is for people too lazy to paint but want a good looking kit is to sand the plastic from low then gradually to higher grit and then slap on a nice spray of flat topcoat for a pretty convincing 'painted' look of course you'll need to do an even sanding but that's childs play.

PS. I managed to order a ton of rattle can paint and some topcoat off rainbow 10 before the regulation kicked in since it was abit cheaper than getting it from the stores but now I feel that I should have ordered some more lawl.

I used Future early on during my VF-25F build and was nothing but trouble. Dust got into it so easily and it often lifted up decals long after they dried (though that may be due to the poor quality of Bandai's decals). I switched to Mr Hobby clearcoat and it's been smooth sailing since. Safe on decals and gives a perfectly smooth, even coat every time with minimal effort.

Hi

I am just starting in the hobby business and I wondered if you can find those Topcoat spray cans but in normal paint spouts as I have just bought an airbrush ?

I have read that these spray cans can freeze and then spit rather than spray..

my local dealer only has gloss varnish in spouts, no satin nor mat finishing.

thanx

thanks guys, what about panel lines? I have used Gundam Marker GM01 and GM02 both "oil based" for panel lining, and heard some enamel paints would "diffuse" the already dried panel accents. Does that happen with Mr. Hobby or Tamiya rattle cans?

thanks guys, what about panel lines? I have used Gundam Marker GM01 and GM02 both "oil based" for panel lining, and heard some enamel paints would "diffuse" the already dried panel accents. Does that happen with Mr. Hobby or Tamiya rattle cans?

Depending on what I'm doing, I use a very fine tip mechanical pencil, Sakura micron pen, or a simple acrylic wash for panel line work, depending on what's being done. None have had any problems with Mr Hobby. I don't think Gundam Marker should have any problems, as I believe the Mr Hobby clearcoats are water-based.

Future will cause micron ink to run (another reason I abandoned Future).

I preferring using a Millennium ZIG marker for panel lines especially the ones with the 0.05 tip. the colors are limited compared to gundam markers but the ink I found works so much better it dries quick and adheres well. It's kind of hard to find though (for me at least since the store I go to stopped stocking that size tip)

The Q-rea shown IS the Damashii release and not the 1/72 model...but it sure is pure win. Thanks guys for the feedback regarding clear coating, decals and panels. Experience and feedback is always welcomed!

I use Gunze Sangyo's Mr Super Clear. Comes in gloss, semi-gloss, and flat. Always gives a perfectly even finish when I use it.

This is what I use on my VF-25.

http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZB-516

And then I use this as the topcoat.

http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZB-502

Lolicon, so when did you use the first one? as David H, I realized Tamiya clear coat says "do not spary on decals or stickers" and I refrained from using it, but http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZB-516"]this seems to be oil based too?! I understand the topcoat is water-based and is safe on decals. Is it really safe to use Tamiya clear coat on decals despite the warning? I presume there is an acrylic/water based version I overlooked?

Edited by regult

I have almost completed my Alto's Messiah Valkyie but still have some minor things to do.

And here I have a question regarding the landing gear of VF-25F. What color paint did you use for this parts? I would like to paint it but don't know which colors should I buy...

Lolicon, so when did you use the first one? as David H, I realized Tamiya clear coat says "do not spary on decals or stickers" and I refrained from using it, but http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZB-516"]this seems to be oil based too?! I understand the topcoat is water-based and is safe on decals. Is it really safe to use Tamiya clear coat on decals despite the warning? I presume there is an acrylic/water based version I overlooked?

I used Future on the front fuselage/cockpit and legs, but then afterwards switched to http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZB-516 when I got tired of dealing with Future problems. I sprayed it directly onto decals with no problems whatsoever. I believe the Hobby Japan scans show the same thing. :D The entire model is topcoated, including the Future'd parts, so the finish is consistent throughout.

I like how they treated the face mask as the actual head and toned the bulge down a bit on the Damashi Q-Rea. Looks like the line is given a bit more creatice license than their plastic kits counterparts. I still hope that the kit will at least be faithful to the CG model, the prototype looked promising.

*needs more Klan*

I have used Tamiya Clear Flat straight on to the decals. No problems. I've also used Testor's Dullcote straight. Both are lacquer based and I've never had problems. Bandai's waterslide decals tend to be rather thick (at least based on my experience with Gunplas) so lacquer based clear coats don't seem to hurt them much. No problems with dry-tansfer decals too.

Edited by Vifam7

WOW!!

Now if only Bandai would sell these as separate sheets like Hasegawa did they'll be selling VF-25's for years.... B))

tiny pic but I see the potential for hotness.

3531629985_f5725f7109.jpg

Actually there are two Kathy's the one shown in anime52k8's screeny and another version of her pulling up a t-shirt to show her lingerie that came with the VF-25S Fast Pack kit. A smaller version of the graphic is on the Armored VF-25S Itashi decal sheet.

I'll see if I can find it on my HDD...

I am wondering if we will see the other Itashi decals displayed at the earlier hobby show though, or if there is such a limited supply that many of them are really not getting out there. I've heard stories of Japanese hobby stores not giving the Itashi sheets out to customers because there are so few for all those who want them. However it is hard to say at the moment what Bandai's release plans are, since a few release schedules were moved around on other lines based on the popularity of the Armored pack of the VF-25. The VF-19Kai was originally scheduled for July release on the VF100 line, but it was bumped by the Armored version of the VF-25...

Edited by Zinjo

oh i simply love cathy! and sheryl! and klan! my... mind is blowing up

i still cant believe i havent started working on my armored ozma,

fatigue...

Picture036-6.jpg

Picture035-4.jpg

Picture038-5.jpg

Picture037-8.jpg

cant believe its already a year since i first watched Mac F

wow! i am so glad i stayed with the model kit line :D

so much stuff to collect, so much variety, and the prices aint that bad...

i am looking forward to having an awesome mac F plamo collection in a few years

Will have to add this YF-25 to my "buy list" of Macross kits ^^

wow! i am so glad i stayed with the model kit line :D

so much stuff to collect, so much variety, and the prices aint that bad...

i am looking forward to having an awesome mac F plamo collection in a few years

Same here. I still have a lot of plamos from MF to buy and the best of all the prices of them aren't so high if you compared them to those from the DX series ^^

btw. honkhet, your models are looking great. Do you paint them or just use top coat?

btw. honkhet, your models are looking great. Do you paint them or just use top coat?

thanks bro :)

for my stuff i js did the following:

hand painting some minor details: pilot, cockpit tint, head lasers, visor tint, robot hands, missle covers, knife

water decals or stickers for certain areas (depending on whether it will scratch during transformation or not)

spray can white for landing gear, and hand paint the tyres black

lastly a few layers of spray can topcoat to seal in the water decals and paint

all the paint i used is from the mr. hobby brand

and i havent gotta clue about the stuff mentioned in this forum like tamiya paints, future,etc... :unsure:

I dont remember seeing any mention of the YF-25 in the anime so it could just be like the MSV gunpla which is based on prototype designs and variations found in novels and stories which branch off the anime series. If you look really closely it looks to be a recolored Alto at this point cos the top of the battroid head is about the same shape with the same head lasers but like ngee said we need more confirmation.

We never saw or heard a mention of a YF-25. We did see a YF-24. I think the YF-25 is something Bandai just made up this week as an excuse for a recolor...

99%-sure it's a repaint. Heck I can't begin to describe how many times Bandai has done that to Gunpla in different colors. I remember when I went and got a MG RGM-79C GM Kai Ground-colors once and then as soon as I finished repainting it in Space-colors, they came out with the Space-colors version. They even pulled that on me when I got MG RX-178 v2. As soon as I preordered the AEUG-colors kit, they announced the Titans-color version. <_<