Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Guest sh002

can't wait for the armored vf-25s to arrive.

btw does anyone know what the little gray part that snaps onto the side of the leg of a standard vf-25? it is right next to the leg fin when you open the large side leg cover.

Cover of the new August 2009 issue of Hobby Japan magazine (out today).

Should include a big article on the new 1/72 Armoured VF-25 kit. Will pick up the mag this evening.

This is the third Macross Frontier cover we've had from Hobby Japan, which is something of a record as far as Hobby Japan and the Macross franchise go. Mac II had one cover, Mac 7 only got 2 covers. Mac Plus and Mac Zero none. Not sure about SDFM TV & DYRL.

Graham

post-11-1245829776_thumb.jpg

Cover of the new August 2009 issue of Hobby Japan magazine (out today).

Should include a big article on the new 1/72 Armoured VF-25 kit. Will pick up the mag this evening.

This is the third Macross Frontier cover we've had from Hobby Japan, which is something of a record as far as Hobby Japan and the Macross franchise go. Mac II had one cover, Mac 7 only got 2 covers. Mac Plus and Mac Zero none. Not sure about SDFM TV & DYRL.

Considering the kits are selling well and we got more on the way..it's not surprising. Can't showcase a Gundam MSV every issue ya know...

Any news of VF-27 and Queadluun-Rea in Hobby Japan magazine ? :huh:

I guess they're taking their time, but really would like to see more pictures of the Q-rea and the VF-27.

In the August issue there seems to be some information on the DX Quarter?

Oh wow.... That was an amazing issue.

Did they add magnets to the Armored Alto to allow it to carry the sniper rifle underneath the sidemounted pack? also a stand connector that allows both guns to be mounted under each other? also it has an amazing picture showing Armored Ozma with landing gears... Looks like there's plenty of clearance. and the plane doesn't tilt too badly at all. The step by steps were pretty awesome too, especially the ball joint mod for the ankles.

Something was just made apparent to me though... Does Armored Alto not include Reaction Missiles?

also it has an amazing picture showing Armored Ozma with landing gears... Looks like there's plenty of clearance. and the plane doesn't tilt too badly at all.

Thanks to electric indigo, I found another place to get the scans.

If you read carefully, you'll notice the nose gear on that Ozma is a custom build, extended strut for better looks, so it is considerably longer than the stock nose gear strut.

Honestly, I am starting to dislike the looks of the armored in fighter mode. seems like a battroid-best piece.

Argh looks like the forums screwed up and deleted my post.

Those scans rock! Love the Quarter. I hope Bandai releases a kit of it. :wacko:

Some useful modeling tips too. I like how they cut up the shoulder decals to apply them. What is the guy doing for the canopy frame? Using some kind of white tool to remove the excess paint?

Yeah! Great scans... thanks so much for pointing us in the right direction.

Love the paint job on the first Ozma Armoured!

I'd love to find out what they are saying on those tips pages... can anyone translate them, it would be tremendously helpful. I too wonder what they are using to wipe off the excess canopy frame paint. I wished I thought about cutting up the decals - it was a b$@##! to apply those ones.

Definite battroid mode winner!

A translation of the modeling tips would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

Those models look incredible and clearly a lot of effort went into them from some skilled modelers... yet they always neglect to paint the underside of the lerx. And Alto's "mouth" is always wrong too. :wacko:

Not a big deal, I just always see these things. :ph34r:

A translation of the modeling tips would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

Those models look incredible and clearly a lot of effort went into them from some skilled modelers... yet they always neglect to paint the underside of the lerx. And Alto's "mouth" is always wrong too. :wacko:

Not a big deal, I just always see these things. :ph34r:

Argh!! now thanks to you... I DO TOO!!! :lol:

I've never posted on here before, but I've been trolling like crazy for the past two months... You guys do some awesome work on those models, and have definitely inspired me to make my VF-25 collection look as awesome as possible. Funny thing, because I was originally going to buy one of the die-cast ones, but I couldn't warrant spending so much money on one toy... So instead, I bought three model kits for VF-25F, G, and S.

I built the VF-25G first, as it's my favorite, but the detailing process sort of drove me nuts and it was before I discovered these forums. It eventually turned into my test dummy for the VF-25F, which I am proud to present the nearly-finished one here. Kudos to my brother for painting Alto for me. I know it holds no ground compared to wm cheng's in the other thread, but I'm pretty proud of this considering that it's my first model that I've fully detailed and everything. :D Thank you guys for sharing all the techniques you guys use!

post-11843-1246049993_thumb.jpg

Guest sh002

almost done building the armored vf-25s. i'm going to pose it with slightly bent and angled legs so that i don't have to use the display stand. it will be a little shorter than the other vf-25's but i'll just display it in back of the others.

too bad the leg joints weren't made of metal.

I've never posted on here before, but I've been trolling like crazy for the past two months... You guys do some awesome work on those models, and have definitely inspired me to make my VF-25 collection look as awesome as possible. Funny thing, because I was originally going to buy one of the die-cast ones, but I couldn't warrant spending so much money on one toy... So instead, I bought three model kits for VF-25F, G, and S.

I built the VF-25G first, as it's my favorite, but the detailing process sort of drove me nuts and it was before I discovered these forums. It eventually turned into my test dummy for the VF-25F, which I am proud to present the nearly-finished one here. Kudos to my brother for painting Alto for me. I know it holds no ground compared to wm cheng's in the other thread, but I'm pretty proud of this considering that it's my first model that I've fully detailed and everything. :D Thank you guys for sharing all the techniques you guys use!

Hey, nice work there. Feel free to post on my G build, if you've got any tips especially!

I know what you mean by trolling. I did that for months too. Great when you can finally dive in and start putting what you've read to work, isn't it?

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

That's something I've been curious about. I haven't compared episodes, but I can't recal any where the super packs looked purple. They always look grey to me. Anyone have any screen captures where the packs (super or armoured) look purple?

Edit:

Ignore the bit about the armoured pack. The pics some posts back show they're clearly moulded in dark grey.

The question about the super pack still stands though. ;)

Edited by mickyg

That's something I've been curious about. I haven't compared episodes, but I can't recal any where the super packs looked purple. They always look grey to me. Anyone have any screen captures where the packs (super or armoured) look purple?

Edit:

Ignore the bit about the armoured pack. The pics some posts back show they're clearly moulded in dark grey.

The question about the super pack still stands though. ;)

Purple Super Parts :

post-11332-1246094179_thumb.jpg

Here a VF-25S custom in grey :

post-11332-1246095029_thumb.jpg

Here a VF-25G custom in grey :

post-11332-1246095133_thumb.jpg

Ooh, thanks for those - especially that last one! Looks much more like what we see in the Anime. And yeah, now that you mention it, perhaps Alto's is more obvious for being purple. Half the problem with colour accuracy is that Mikhail spends most of his time in the shadows, where he can snipe better. It's possible purple is grey, due purely to shadows.

After I saw the runners of the armored ozma in person I noticed that the plastic mix for the ozma is different to the first 1/72 ozma most notably is the darker shade of grey and if you look at the codes on the runners its actually an entirely new line of molding. This casts some doubt of a stand alone armored pack in the near future. Of course it is highly possible that there will be one but the difference of the armored bundle compared to the vanilla VF is much greater than the super bundle and vanilla. And another foreseeable outcome is that it wont have an extra sniper rifle included.

Ooh, thanks for those - especially that last one! Looks much more like what we see in the Anime. And yeah, now that you mention it, perhaps Alto's is more obvious for being purple. Half the problem with colour accuracy is that Mikhail spends most of his time in the shadows, where he can snipe better. It's possible purple is grey, due purely to shadows.

Yeah, I don´t know why I was thinking that armour is equal to superparts :wacko: , Superparts looks better in grey than in purple, I´ll paint my SPs in dark grey.

Here other shot of VF-25G :

post-11332-1246097922_thumb.jpg