Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Got my Armored Ozma yesterday, and yeah, the box is qutie large. Pretty much two of the standard VF-25 boxes, and its PACKED!

Spent a number of hours over the last two days snapping it together in fighter mode. Oh, and Bandai added some locking tabs, this thing is SOLID in fighter mode! The gun now attaches to the legs, with a rather large unsightly adapter, which also holds the legs together. The legs also tab into the backplate, and the wings tab into the legs. Seriously, this fighter is the exact opposite of the previous ones, like 1/60 Ver. 2 solid.

Some other things to note:

-There is plenty of ground clearence with the landing gear down.

-Unlike the Superpack, the shoulder missle pods don't require any additional parts for Battroid mode.

-The armored crotch armor needs to be removed for fighter mode, I suspected this was going to be the case.

-All kinds of new support peices are included, including a piece that lets you keep the gunpod in the fighter mode location while the Valk is in Gerwalk mode(as was seen in the anime a few times). These parts are all, unfortunately very cumbersome looking.

Haven't transformed it yet, might save that for tomorrow:)

Jarrod

Pics please.

Graham

so the locking tabs are molded into the armor parts and not the base model parts, right?

I mean, if I were to assemble this model without armor, then I'd get the same model as the initial basic VF-25S release?

Ok here's a few just shot on my table with no proper lighting, etc. Transformed it to Battroid too....and yeah, there's NO WAY this thing stands on its own.

I like the 1st and 3rd pic. I really love the look of the Armored in fighter mode. Actually, I like it in all 3 modes, but fighter is my favorite.

In the 2nd pic, showing the side of the lower leg, what's all that stuff hanging out of the back? Is it the attachment points for connecting the fighter mode to the display stand?

Graham

I wonder how much of a natural armored gerwalk pose it can do. So far the pictures doesn't show like it can do much of an A-stance in gerwalk mode.

so the locking tabs are molded into the armor parts and not the base model parts, right?

I mean, if I were to assemble this model without armor, then I'd get the same model as the initial basic VF-25S release?

Yep, the VF-25 is still the same old kit, all the locking stuff is on the armor

ya... another question jarrod,

does it have any tabs to hold the wings and back in gerwalk mode?

It has one of those giant ugly support peices to hold the wings up in gerwalk. Theres a pic below.

Heh. Just looking at the second pic again and I realised those weird looking things with tabs sticking out of the back are the unfinished feet..........LOL!

Graham

Yep, I discovered on my first Alto that disassembling those parts for painting was a nightmare, so I just leave them off untill they're painted.

I wonder how much of a natural armored gerwalk pose it can do. So far the pictures doesn't show like it can do much of an A-stance in gerwalk mode.

From what I can tell, it should still have the same range of movement in the legs as an un-armored one, but I haven't tried that mode yet...I'll let you know once I try.

post-145-1245243592_thumb.jpg

WoW! Congrats Jarrod... it looks great and with such speed you got it together... Thanks for putting up the pictures so quickly. Now I want one too! The regular Battroid mode just looks anorexic - this is so much more fun! (and probably a pain in the ass to build and paint properly!) some day...

I agree - the battroid mode looks fantastic. But as for the fighter mode, in terms of design there's certainly a lack of cohesion, those round balls of the forward guns are a bit off-putting for me, and the general lumpiness... still I'll probably have to get one!

Thanks Jarrod for the replies, I think we all still want it despite the exposed locking mechanism and what a nightmare this would be if you want to properly build and paint it!

I will basically have it unpainted, only decaled and clear coated (with a rattle-can!). Still waiting for prices to drop a bit after the initial hype (in Hong Kong shops tend to treat new toys as fresh seafood, it's not like the plastic is going to go bad after the first days!

and No, it was confirmed that it cannot stand w/o the stand.

guys.. know this is off topic, but where do you get clear canopy for the 1/72 Vf-25F messiah Valkyrie ?

I just screwed up canopy and i am really upset now.. any ideas on how to repair? i dropped my canopy into the thinner and it went frosted, and no matter what i do, it just cannot remove the frost, instead it got worst.. sighs..

Edmund.

hey all on this topic i have a quick fix for anyone that has this issue with their Canopys... its actually a small fix that can enhance any canopy that is some what blemmished

take the canopy and give it a good sanding with 800 grit sandpaper, then move to 1000 grit sand paper ... inside and outside of canopy...i know what your thinking ..sand the canopy are you crazy lol well this is only step one, you want to end up with a canopy that has a fogged look when finnished just be carefull of the details

when that is done get a paper towel and fold it into 4 sections then take one secotion of the paper towel and rub the interior and the xterior of the canopy, i know it sounds strange but a paper towel is close to 1500 grit sandpaper and you only want to do it for a minute inside and outside ..for the other 3 sections fold them up again and tape them to the table and get a small container the size of the canopy deep enough to submerge the canopy in liquid

then take Futura floor wax and fill it up , then take your tweezers and dip the canopy slowly and then remove it slowly to ensure no tiny bubble appear then let the wax drip off of it and set it on the towel to dry, through capillary action the towel will absorb most of the wax and will leave it Crystal clear ... and in most cases it winds up looking better then new canopys

Edited by RAMJET

What the f***! My Armored Ozma arrived today! And it shipped on the 12th via SAL! (I live in the States.)

I have never received a SAL package that fast; that was almost EMS speed!

Anyway, it's a monster! The box is the size of two regular VF-25s stacked together. Can't wait to get my paws into it! :lol:

WoW! your workbench is neat!! I wished I didn't work in such a pig pen...

Congrats on your new arrival, can't wait to see a build up thread...

WoW! your workbench is neat!! I wished I didn't work in such a pig pen...

Congrats on your new arrival, can't wait to see a build up thread...

Clean is part of work ^_^ , just kidding, the fact is that I haven´t much time, so I´m a slow builder <_< .

I´m doing the kits doing parts one by one :unsure: , including the paint, so there no much mess arround.

I wish be more dirty :lol: , and wish do a build thread but I´ll take ages in up an update :huh: .

OMG, how many trees are there in that last pic? That seems like it'll take forever to assemble!

The kit have 28 trees :wacko: , I've never seen a kit like this so complicated :ph34r:

Build this kit with a complete work of sanding, fix and improve parts, painting, decals, and do final coats will take two months easy :wacko:

I´m doing a complete work of an VF-25F now and just arrived an EVA-01 Perfect Grade which I should do a first build to plan fix and improve parts, and is waiting a VF-25F Ranka, VF-25G and RVF-25 with Super Parts, so I haven´t plan to start this in at least two months :huh:

The box of the VF-25S Armored Messiah is big but no wonder when there is so many parts.

I still don't know if I should buy Ozma or Alto Armored units. They are both looking great but the price is quite high so I have to choose one of them.

By the way is that action base in the right corner of the pic, and if yes then is it included with the kit?

I would go for the Armored Alto, since I think the white/red scheme looks better, plus Alto gets a sniper rifle in addition to his standard gunpod.

Things are different if you already have another version of Alto already or something.

Well, right now I only have VF-25F Alto Custom . Next I plan to buy VF-25G Michael Custom, then RVF-25 Luca Custom With Ghost and the last one will be Ozma unit. Alto or Michael Valkyrie will have super parts (I need to buy this pack asap ^^) and if it goes about Ozma then I wanted to have Armored ver. but dunno if I should wait and see if Bandai will not release armored parts separately just like it was with super parts.

And yeah, Alto ver. have very nice color scheme and additional sniper rifle. Oh well, ultimately I can have two VF-25F one without any packs in fighter mode and another one in gerwalk or batroid mode...

I think that the best option will be to buy first Michael and Luca units and then think about armored ver.

With gundam kits it was a lot easier, you like Zeta gundam then you buy MG Zeta 2.0 and etc. Here you can buy valkyrie without any packs, with super parts and armored one. Eh choices, choices...

I would go for the Armored Alto, since I think the white/red scheme looks better, plus Alto gets a sniper rifle in addition to his standard gunpod.

Things are different if you already have another version of Alto already or something.

I'm in the same dilemma. I know that Armored alto has the sniper rifle and that white/red looks quite good. But Ozuma just isn't Ozuma if he's not armored. If only they gave ozuma the sniper rifle. Actually this puzzles me. At the same price, what does Armored Ozuma have over Alto? It doesn't make sense for Alto to have more for the same cost.

By the way is that action base in the right corner of the pic, and if yes then is it included with the kit?

Yes, it´s included.

Do the mecha specs in the Armored instruction manual say what the packs on the forearms are? Can someone do a hi-res scan of the spec pages of the manual please.

0005lqg.th.jpg0006cuo.th.jpg