A.R.M.D. In Paper

RedLion

Hello All,

I thought I would share with you a project I started working on last year in reproducing the ARMD carriers that were featured In Macross Do You Remember Love. I like the designs of those because of their aggressive nature. This project was based on testing the limits of card model construction. I had planned on doing the S.D.F.-1 to fit the A.R.M.D.'s but not enough time in the day and besides Yamato is coming out with theirs later this year. (designed In Adobe Illustrator)

Anyway enjoy I will upload the final color version soon.

Brian L.

post-2399-1238428862_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1238428876_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1238428887_thumb.jpg

I have loads of respect for anyone willing to sit there and workout how to do this in paper and then build it. I have tried and found the ammount of false starts soul destroying, especially when someone steps on it or puts in in the trash thinking its just scraps of card and paper.

PLEASE, please tell me that you will make it available!! I will beg and plead - well I AM begging and pleading! I will put as much time into the cutting styrene to make a plastic version as you did making it in paper!! :lol:

I will Try however no instructions lots of parts to this puppy!

PLEASE, please tell me that you will make it available!! I will beg and plead - well I AM begging and pleading! I will put as much time into the cutting styrene to make a plastic version as you did making it in paper!! :lol:

Now thats where I was going. Less likely for it to get trod on or thrown out if I make it out of Styrene. In our house Styrene is known to belong to me so nobody touches it :) Cardboard and paper seem to be fair game.

Edited by big F

Those are just awesome. It makes me wonder why there are so few of the ships from Macross and other shows. They usually focus on the fighters and figures.

I hope you can do this dude, we'd all be very happy and like you loooong time!!

Thanks for all the comments As it was a labor of love. I also prefer styrene as it is more durable when sealed properly. Here are some reference photos I used and colored before the model was built. The last 2 were recolored to match colors in the books and Movie. I hope Yamato's version will have more detail then the one I did! :lol: Would love to see Lights and sounds on something that big! Oh well one can dream right!

post-2399-1238543236_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1238543323_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1238543396_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1238543410_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the side bay drawings and the top section. Since this model is relatively small, I decided to cut out only the larger portions inserting a textured black paper to give it more depth. The details aren't super amazing as it could be, however I think it fools the eye enough that the essence of the A.R.M.D. is captured.

post-2399-1239800578_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1239800599_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1239800623_thumb.jpg

post-2399-1239800653_thumb.jpg

Do you have Adobe Illustrator? If not I can send you a PDF file in a couple weeks. It is pretty straight forward and if you can build boxes you should be able to build this without instructions.

Do you have Adobe Illustrator? If not I can send you a PDF file in a couple weeks. It is pretty straight forward and if you can build boxes you should be able to build this without instructions.

Im sure that others will ask too but I would like to give it a go although I may well try it in plastic and slightly bigger. I may even be able to get it printed on the plastic at work in the art department.

If you would be interested in sharing your work that would be out standing.

Im sure that others will ask too but I would like to give it a go although I may well try it in plastic and slightly bigger. I may even be able to get it printed on the plastic at work in the art department.

If you would be interested in sharing your work that would be out standing.

I will, You have a printer at work that can print on plastic? What kind of machine is that? Please share.

I will, You have a printer at work that can print on plastic? What kind of machine is that? Please share.

Well the company I now work for prints things like membership cards and plastic Id's etc. The plastics are styrene or PVC usually and they use a sort of Dye Sublimation process. These printers can do A1 sheets they are huge. I have seen all shades done including whites and metalics and pearls printed. Very similar to a monster version of an Alps Printer that are used to make Decals by Anasai here at MW.

Unfortunately although I work in the same building oposite the art department, I as of yet don't know anyone in the department. Although they do have lots of off cuts in 1-2mm Styrene that I am trying to get a few bits of. All off cuts get shreaded as part of the green recycling policy.

At the very least I may be able to get some more plastic supplies :)

Otherwise I may resort to making a decal sheet in black and white and transfering it to the finished article, if it works out.

Well the company I now work for prints things like membership cards and plastic Id's etc. The plastics are styrene or PVC usually and they use a sort of Dye Sublimation process. These printers can do A1 sheets they are huge. I have seen all shades done including whites and metalics and pearls printed. Very similar to a monster version of an Alps Printer that are used to make Decals by Anasai here at MW.

Unfortunately although I work in the same building oposite the art department, I as of yet don't know anyone in the department. Although they do have lots of off cuts in 1-2mm Styrene that I am trying to get a few bits of. All off cuts get shreaded as part of the green recycling policy.

At the very least I may be able to get some more plastic supplies :)

Otherwise I may resort to making a decal sheet in black and white and transfering it to the finished article, if it works out.

Wow that's very interesting! Let me know how big you would want to replicate it and I can upscale it. Also if the could print it from an AI (Adobe Illustrator) file.

The decals done by Anasai I wonder if he uses vector art as well using Corel Draw or Illustrator?

Anasazi does use Vector graphics. I remember reading here that he uses scans to work as a base to make his decals from. He also uses the cover the subject in masking tape and draw the design roughly on the tape peal off scan and vectorise the image using the scan as you base.

RedLion, your work is awesome. I have Adobe Illustrator on my wife's Mac, and she can upscale, which is what I will do. I think it's about time I took those giant pieces of styrene out of storage, and put them to work. Question, what is the file made of? Is it EPS or AI? Is it Vector? if so, I have enough styrene to make this quite large, maybe a foot long. Anyways, please please send this to me. I've made paper projects before, (the paper Monster) and would love to do this and show off your awesome work. Please let me know if you can send me the file. Thanks :)

RedLion, your work is awesome. I have Adobe Illustrator on my wife's Mac, and she can upscale, which is what I will do. I think it's about time I took those giant pieces of styrene out of storage, and put them to work. Question, what is the file made of? Is it EPS or AI? Is it Vector? if so, I have enough styrene to make this quite large, maybe a foot long. Anyways, please please send this to me. I've made paper projects before, (the paper Monster) and would love to do this and show off your awesome work. Please let me know if you can send me the file. Thanks :)

No Problem Give me some time on this. The file I have is ans AI file and PDF at the current scale. I can up size it to 1 foot no problem. I have to finidsh up the crazy work related product first that's going to take several weeks. Please be patient.

Best Brian