1/72 Moscato Commanchero

PetarB

Time for a new WIP. I encourage you to post your Work In Progress of this bird here as well. I would be great to get a group build or something happening.

Here's where I'm at...

th_1.jpgth_2.jpgth_3.jpgth_4.jpg

So far, I've made a gatling gun out of syringe needles, put in some climbing rails, rebuilt the prop pylon with various size of aluminium tubing and put some more styrene bits and pieces on for detailing.

John's kit is fantastic, but I like doing it the hard way...

Anyway I'm going to try and have this finished by the Macross Convention up in Brisbane, Australia, in May.

How's everyone else going?

Oh yeah baby, yeah...!!!

A metal prop pylon...smart

I think this model is straight forward and relatively simple to put together. I would think more people would jump on the Commanchero build wagon...

Edited by 007-vf1

I wouldn't ignore that other-other chunk of resin on the table!! :blink::lol:

Looks like you have some cool projects going on!

Time for a new WIP. I encourage you to post your Work In Progress of this bird here as well. I would be great to get a group build or something happening.

Here's where I'm at...

th_1.jpgth_2.jpgth_3.jpgth_4.jpg

So far, I've made a gatling gun out of syringe needles, put in some climbing rails, rebuilt the prop pylon with various size of aluminium tubing and put some more styrene bits and pieces on for detailing.

John's kit is fantastic, but I like doing it the hard way...

Anyway I'm going to try and have this finished by the Macross Convention up in Brisbane, Australia, in May.

How's everyone else going?

Wait a minute.......

There is a Macross convention on in Australia........

(picking my jaw back up off the floor) Can you give me the details?

Coooolll!!!!

I wouldn't ignore that other-other chunk of resin on the table!! :blink::lol:

Looks like you have some cool projects going on!

I'll say. Where'd that Nupetiet-Vergnitz come from? Looks like a nice sculpt. Always wanted a bigger, more accurate green pickle.

Acroray is correct. It is from Scale Solutions.

Thanks guys. Never heard of it previously. Aarrgh, why left and right halves? Top and bottom would have been more obvious. Looks like a must-have though; nice sculpt, really like it.

Seriously wanna nice big 1/5000 one to go with the old IP SDF-1 kit, though. Will have to get off my butt and do some modelling some time soon, heheh. In 1/5000 it'd be about 80cm long, if memory serves. Much more like it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had much of chance to work in this, but had a good go this weekend.

I've replaced the back rotor with a scratchbuilt one. I didn't like the Hind ones supplied with the kit, aesthetically I wanted something to go with the curves of the hull and some blades from the moder 'Tiger' eurocopter fit the bill perfectly for me. They are attached here temporarily with blu-tac for photography.

I put in some figures to pilot, and gave the interior bits and pieces some Alclad Duraluminium to give them a bit of shine. Once they go behind the cockpit canopies you wont see them as much.

Next I will put the canopies on and seal them on, mask them up, and that's the last time we will see the interiors until it's finished!

th_5.jpgth_6.jpgth_7.jpg

Now come on, where's everyone else's?

I like what you've done with the rotor blades, I dont like the ones from the kit either.

Ive been taking awhile with mine mainly because off the whole tail section. I must have gotten a bad cast because the resin is so soft its almost like playdoh.

It would sag after awhile and I would hot water it back to alignment and a few weeks later do it all again.

I finally decided to cut the tail off along the panel line and then drill deep into both ends. This way I was able insert a 2 inch brass rod in there and glue both sections back together. It doesnt sag now.

Thanx to your idea with the rotors I know where to go now.

I'll be posting some photos soon.

Looks great! The rotors remind me of the EC-135 a little. I'm afraid mine may sit around a while longer. I've got studies AND this six foot long ship to complete! Keep it up, we want to see how it comes out! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a look at the gatling gun I built and decided it wasn't good enough. I built another one out of injection needles and some sheets of epoxy putty. The other one I made (pics earlier on) was made with brass tubing, and it just didn't look to scale. Neither does this new one, but its a bit closer! Huge caliber though... ;)

8.jpg

Then, after an undercoat of Tamiya Sky Grey, I masked the whole thing to give a subtle camo effect. I saw a modern assault copter in a subtle grey-on-grey scheme that I really liked which I am trying to emulate. So after an hour or two masking the whole thing with tiny bits of Tamiya masking tape (haven't found a cheaper substitute despite my experiments) I put a coat of Royal Grey over it. I was happy with the result. In the pic here the contrast is a bit exaggerated because one is finish is completely dry, and the other only half an hour old.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Since that pic I have put on a coat of Pledge One-Go ('Future' to the norte-americanos). I'm about to start putting on the decals. There's a little bit more masking to do, but I will tackle that later.

Come on, how are those other builds going? I meant to be taking this one one a plane - complete and finished - with me by the end of the week. I could use some inspiration and motivation!!! :lol:

I meant to be taking this one one a plane - complete and finished - with me by the end of the week. I could use some inspiration and motivation!!! :lol:

Awesome work on the paint scheme, I can't wait to see it completed. Not to mention the work you did on the gun. Thanks for the pics, and good luck.

/now get back to work! :p

I saw that pic in the other thread. I love the weathering on that choppa! Going to be hard to replicate at this scale, but I will see what I can do....! Any tips? An oils wash is probably a good start, or perhaps I may try a pastel wash instead...

Looks great and the gun looks like it's worth the effort! I'd say use pastels. Easier to work with and you can rub/wash off what you don't like. - MT

Well oils or pastels... the decision has just been made for me. I won't have time to do an oil wash, as much as I want to. For me oil washes take about 2 days before they are ready to reduce. Tonight I should have finished decaling, but I wont finish until tomorrow now. I finished masking and airbrushing tonight - the dark grey nose, and tail - which these pics failed to capture well.

Today I brought a Macross kite decal that I had reproduced from work to home. When I arrive home I found that the kite symbol did not reproduce well, so I've lost a day. Tomorrow I will put the symbol on, and maybe rush back home at lunch to put on a coat of Future.

12.jpg

11.jpg

You can see its quite glossy because of the Future coat. But I have a special Matt coat which will cover that shine flat as flat. That will be the final coat, which hopefully will only be 3 nights away. Really looking forwards to removing those canopy masks!

Rotor-heads will be laughing at my decal placement. I've ransacked a few different sources for the decals. No idea what some of the mean, but they help to make it look a bit more realistic.

Tomorrow I'm not sure if I will post pics... there probably wont be anything interesting to see. Not sure at this stage.

Wish me luck!

Edited by PetarB