New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

Today the postman knocked on my door and handed me a box from China. Must be the replacement parts. I already got the replacement helmet in the color I originally asked for. I open the box. It was another replacement helmet.

Yes that's right I now have 3 helmets (1 Hikaru & 2 Roy)

I will need to email them later tonight after work before they send me a 4th helmet. I don't think I need replacement parts now.

WOW,

So where do we order that curved visor?

:)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271746164111?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is where I got mine from, really easy to cut so it will fit properly and it snaps on without any issues. B))

that looking good 505thAirborne ....but why you get a green visor?...

Today the postman knocked on my door and handed me a box from China. Must be the replacement parts. I already got the replacement helmet in the color I originally asked for. I open the box. It was another replacement helmet.

Yes that's right I now have 3 helmets (1 Hikaru & 2 Roy)

I will need to email them later tonight after work before they send me a 4th helmet. I don't think I need replacement parts now.

Wow that pretty good for spare parts !! ..... ok now i got high hope for these parts ...waiting for mine to arrive ..............

@lancalot, Thanks dude! As for the green visor, while its a DYRL helmet it will look like Shin Kudos from Mac Zero to go with my Mac Zero Flight Suit!

@macsam, A plain pair of scissors was all I needed. its not that super hard plastic you'll find a HGU Helmet Visor.

Does the bubble helmet come with enough 'leftover plastic at the bottom so that i could cut an inch off the TOP and then redrill holes for the screws?

I can't tell the scale too well from pics. (giving it a curve that more closely, from the side, looks like it's in 'plane' with the oval/circle shape of the round base helmet? (that sentence may be badly worded...)

Can you do a profile pic? It looks great. I'd like to see how far the rounded portion of the visor sticks out.

Hey Jason, heres an idea of visor in a side view, also as you can see it simply snaps on the pre-existing buttons. No need to adjust anything. For now this is alot better than the std issue Masei visor, but maybe someone here at MW will make a accurate Visor shield for these helmets, I'd buy one! B))

post-6180-0-70987500-1424029730_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-32313100-1424029739_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-43725400-1424029752_thumb.jpg

I've been looking to buy a Max type on eBay for under $100 shipped and was finally able to do so.

So far I like Lavinrac's mod the best....so unless someone finds a better option...that's the one I would like to get....it'll just be for display so utility is not a concern for me....

gallery_987_742_31345.jpg

.....now to see if these guys I bought it from deliver it in one piece..... ;)

I've been looking to buy a Max type on eBay for under $100 shipped and was finally able to do so.

So far I like Lavinrac's mod the best....so unless someone finds a better option...that's the one I would like to get....it'll just be for display so utility is not a concern for me....

.....now to see if these guys I bought it from deliver it in one piece..... ;)

I'm hoping they will someday send me replacement parts that are in good shape! :)

Thanks for the comment.

I hope you like dremeling. (Or your precision cutting tool of choice) :) the edges of the plastic add-on parts to the helmet need some considerable trimming. I used a dremel quick-change cutting wheel, on medium speed, with the handheld attachment, and moved very slowly and carefully.

I think as the visor mods go one thing mine i not good with is the fact that it makes it obvious that the top shield needs to be longer/stick out further in the front. Which.. once my non-broken one arrives, I may work on modding this one to be longer. Time to get out the sheet styrene and possibly fiberglass.. Will require a lot of almost-from-scratch work.

I REALLY like the bulbousness of the green visor but i want it higher up in profile view.. Don't know if i can do it. Clear stuff is hard to mod. no sanding or patching if you screw it up. :|

I'm hoping they will someday send me replacement parts that are in good shape! :)

Thanks for the comment.

I hope you like dremeling. (Or your precision cutting tool of choice) :) the edges of the plastic add-on parts to the helmet need some considerable trimming. I used a dremel quick-change cutting wheel, on medium speed, with the handheld attachment, and moved very slowly and carefully.

I think as the visor mods go one thing mine i not good with is the fact that it makes it obvious that the top shield needs to be longer/stick out further in the front. Which.. once my non-broken one arrives, I may work on modding this one to be longer. Time to get out the sheet styrene and possibly fiberglass.. Will require a lot of almost-from-scratch work.

I REALLY like the bulbousness of the green visor but i want it higher up in profile view.. Don't know if i can do it. Clear stuff is hard to mod. no sanding or patching if you screw it up. :|

I agree. That's why I wanted to see it from a profile view. It does bubble out a bit too much for me, but it's still a better look than original. It does take a bit of work to make the other one fit correctly, but once done, it looks like it's supposed to. I used a handheld dremel myself for the fitting. Not the funnest thing to do, as it took quite some time to finish, but it works.

Emailing them is not the easiest thing. Told them about the mistake and they seemed to have missed it or something. I think they're still going to send parts as well. So it looks like I will have 3 helmets and a parts to make a 4th.

I agree. That's why I wanted to see it from a profile view. It does bubble out a bit too much for me, but it's still a better look than original. It does take a bit of work to make the other one fit correctly, but once done, it looks like it's supposed to. I used a handheld dremel myself for the fitting. Not the funnest thing to do, as it took quite some time to finish, but it works.

Tiny bit off topic.. are you using the new cordless dremel mini? Im using the regular dremel with the handheld attachment. i really like how well the attachment fits in hand. makes precision so much easier... but i am very tempted to buy the cordless mini

I've been researching cosplay armor as possible means to make the shoulder, arms and leg armor. Seems that you buy, cut, heat, shape, treat and paint some types of foam to make armor. The same could be done for DYRL Pilot Suit. This why I wish I had a garage to take on some big arts and craft pockets.

I also found the following on Google.

All the "hard" is actual just fabric.

Hikaru_Ichijo.jpg

Why is it in 2 seperate pieces?

Free-Shipping-Top-Grade-Macross-Series-C

Clearly the string ensured my helmet arrived in perfect shape!!!!...........

med_gallery_12176_633_1023991.jpg

$89 bucks shipped from eBay....worth it as long as it is free of breakage....was very specific about this to the seller and he definitely came through....

med_gallery_12176_633_334069.jpg

I bought it from Kwansir505, in case anyone is thinking about getting one from eBay.....at this price I say get one!

Very cool display piece.....

Thanks for the comment.

I got one of the blue Chrome visors you used. I have a question was all the modifications done to the Masei parts like the top visor and other ad on pieces?

Did you have to cut the actual Blue visor at all?

Thanks