New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

Without you Linking I don't know what you're talking about.

Ok here's some links:

Picture modifications to put one or any of these on the helmet:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/65650/i/afx-flip-3-snap-helmet-shield

http://www.amazon.com/Hydron-Anti-Scratch-Flip-Shield-Clear/dp/B001880FJ4

http://www.amazon.com/Biltwell-Inc-Helmet-Bubble-Shield/dp/B00DX8BZ6Y

check out the blues and chromes.

I'd be interested in seeing how your modification looks. :)

Ok this editor is weird..

IMG 20150121 200110

IMG 20150121 200025

IMG 20150121 200302

IMG 20150121 200322

Yea so i was saying i added the blue chrome lens

it no longer flips up when installed here

When they send me a new red visor i intend to fiberglass or plastic-work this chipped one, and extend it's length.

Edited by lavinrac

I was able to get the blue chrome was as well. Sadly, it was the only one they had. They don't fit well on those helmets. I had to lengthen the visor size slots on the inner parts of the buttons so that it'd fit Then, since it goes a little wide towards the bottom, I had to tweak the visor holes and make one part of it a little wider so that the screws would go in, as it didn't quite line up afterward. Nevertheless, it does work, and it looks much, much better.

In other news, I was supposed to receive the other helmet about a week ago, and since I haven't received it yet, and they won't give me a tracking number, I'm going to wait till maybe mid week. If I don't hear from them, I'm going to put in a Paypal claim. Normally I don't complain, but some of this stuff is really starting to annoy me. Hope it's just a communication issue and not them being shady. If you're on the fence about getting one, I would hold off for now. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd tell you that.

No, nothing aesthetic was changed. Just slight changing to the hole of the visor that ties it to the front jaw of the helmet.I may try to get another rounded visor from a different brand, and see how that fits. They aren't expensive, so they may work better. I don't know yet, but I'll see. My pics would only come out the same as lavinrac's, and it was a pain in the you know what to put it back, so I'll do them when I get the other visor to compare.

Glad to see you did it too Jasonc ... I definitely was more cavalier with these cracked parts than I would have been if they weren't damaged in the shipping. Once they send me good ones I will try to find a visor that requires NO modifications to the helmet plastics.. which will mean MORE mods to the visor I suspect. Still.. It looks SOOO much nicer on the shelf.

I may redo those mismatched arrows on the side too...

The shame of it is this is not at all a bad product.. its your typical scenario where everything gets hosts up in the last 5%/last mile. Finish and shipping are the issues.

Oh.. I also am going to try to find and paint removable 'plugs' for the screw holes.

Should I try to take nicer photos with more that a phone camera?

Glad to see you did it too Jasonc ... I definitely was more cavalier with these cracked parts than I would have been if they weren't damaged in the shipping. Once they send me good ones I will try to find a visor that requires NO modifications to the helmet plastics.. which will mean MORE mods to the visor I suspect. Still.. It looks SOOO much nicer on the shelf.

I may redo those mismatched arrows on the side too...

The shame of it is this is not at all a bad product.. its your typical scenario where everything gets hosts up in the last 5%/last mile. Finish and shipping are the issues.

Oh.. I also am going to try to find and paint removable 'plugs' for the screw holes.

Should I try to take nicer photos with more that a phone camera?

I will try the other style soon. I'll purchase it on Thursday, after I get my next paycheck, and see how that fits. Perhaps I can just trim the outside of the face shield and see if that relieves the tension of the helmet, without creating any gaps with the look.

that looking good lavinrac .... very interesting in see the other ones ,...if they work without modifying it much .....

Well my replacement arrived today.... i didn't get a tracking or any response from them after i paid the 85 at all but it arrive today :)

Guess what ...they actually sent it in a smaller box which fit the helmet exactly so it wouldn't move and has fragile sticker on it ......Also i got an oversized plastic bag as the only protection which is none!!! and the helmet cover bag of cause ..... pulling back that bag to see if anything cracked or broken was suspenseful ....luck was on my side and it was all good ...just a very little scratch on the top visor ...which is ok to my relief ... no broken or cracked parts unlike the first one.... but i think that it was just pure luck that nothing happen.... got a blue one this time and the arrow doesn't line up on the right side only ....

So they didn't bubble wrap it , newspaper it or anything but only put it in a thin oversize bag plastic to protect it and a fragile sticker????? come on didn't they learn anything?. Well i hope all you guy have the same luck as me ...

Edited by lancalot

just got my 2nd helmet in the mail today too. heres my pictorial journey

box came in a regular masei helmet box

opened and was pleased to see bubble wrap

additonal side view of bubble wrap. they also include some foam bits in the corners of the box for extra protection

opened drawstring bag and there was extra foam bits protecting the face shield

also more foam padding on the back helmet bits

one side is perfectly lined up

the other not so much

overall no damage from shipping! there is one chipped paint on the visor, but it wasnt due to shipping so it must have been a factory issue. no biggie as i can paint it over

much better than the first,but still not thrilled about the unaligned arrows.hoping the extra parts come as nicely packed.

Edited by KiriK

It doesn't look like they learned anything about shipping. I can't believe these are in the same size box. one layer of bubble wrap for a transcontinental journey?

I'm glad I didnt go for the second helmet.

Ok i was being an apologist before but seeing how they are shipping the 'better packaged' replacements is making me a little hotheaded.

I think paying what you guys paid you have a right to be a little hot headed. Masei shouldn't be so cheap with their packaging. I worry that there isn't a big enough stink being raised about it. Hopefully what they are doing alleviates the problem some because at the end of the day the helmets still look really good. :/

I got mine yesterday evening, and luckily, it did arrive safely. I got a blue helmet this time, and aside from the vinyl, or whatever they use not lining up perfectly in every spot, it's fine. I really want the Hikaru parts, as that's the one I originally ordered, but hopefully in a couple weeks I'll see them. My box it came in was slightly larger, thicker, etc., but still got banged up a bit. I'm actually surprised it showed up in one piece. My arrows to the Max version do line up, so I'm happy about that.

One step closer to finishing my helmet, Lightning bolts and a green Visor Shield then I'm done! B))

What exactly did you do to it? Was there anything done to the aesthetics of it, or is it just stripping it and painting it? Looks great so far. Can't wait to see your finished work.

Thanks Jason, its been a fun project so far. Mostly just a lot of sanding, primer and then flat gray, masking off the Visor & red arrows was the trickiest part. When I got my helmet it was just gloss white with a black visor. Will look like Shin Kudos Mac Zero helmet when completed. B))

post-6180-0-34101700-1422596398.jpg

Looking good. Wow you are going for Shin Kudo Paint job on DYRL style? I just now looked his up to see your color scheme and he has significant cosmetic differences.

Your paint application looks great!

Have you given any thought to if/how to hide the screws? I have not come up with a good way yet.

Edited by lavinrac

Looking good. Wow you are going for Shin Kudo Paint job on DYRL style? I just now looked his up to see your color scheme and he has significant cosmetic differences.

Your paint application looks great!

Have you given any thought to if/how to hide the screws? I have not come up with a good way yet.

Thank you! For the last few years I considered making my own helmet or having a master sculptor make me a correct Zero style helmet, but scratch building isn't my thing and having it custom made was REALLY expensive. So I figured I use this Flight Helmet for now (despite it being a DYRL model) and it will look great with my Zero flight suit!

As for covering up the screws, I found some various caps at Home Depot but haven't tried them yet, if they work I'll post some pics! B))

• 2 weeks later...

I too got a replacement helmet. Mine had a loose part and it wasn't in the color I asked for. This time I got the correct Yellow Helmet. I did have to send a couple follow up emails during the process as they tend to say the "helmet will be shipped out tomorrow" in every email. This time the helmet was tightly wrapped about 3 times with bubble wrap. Finally it was protected.

There are few things about the helmet itself. First I think the yellow might be a shade off. The yellow that was used is a pleasant shade of yellow. I think Roy's... I mean the shade I wore is bit darker. Next the placement of the one of the screws was a centimeter or two off. This created a gap between the back piece and the jaw piece. I was able to take part the helmet to realign all parts but I can't get one screwsback in. Lastly they changed the method of how they attached the decals. With the previous helmet I was able to scratch it off with a credit card. This time things are permanently printed on the helmet. I'm going have to paint over them.

In summary their quality control isn't perfect. They messed up with packaging. They have taken steps to fix things. I want to say what do you expect from a 3rd party? As a business they get a barely passing grade. Even with all this I'm still pleased with the helmets. If you're on the fence about getting one I say do it. Yes it might be a hassle but in the end you'll still get a neat collectable to put on your shelf.

I got offered the curved visor with replacement parts for an extra $45. While I've already done this, The curved piece only cost $19 (from what I remember). I still want to try the other parts, and I totally forgot to get other visor brands to see if there are any that fit better, or look better overall.