New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

I'd buy one for $80ish shipped. That sounds about right for the QC people have reported. At $80ish fixing it up isn't that big of a deal. I wonder if that price will continue to be common on eBay.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Initially, probably....the first ones listed fetched much higher prices than the ones currently ending at around 100-150 USD......perhaps these did not pre-sell as well as masei would have liked or maybe HG caught wind and now they are trying to liquidate? ebay is flooded with all sorts of "styles" right now....

Wonder if the feedback on the recent sales will mention any QC issues?

Just got mine today, the first impression was very scary. Many of you had a cardboard box with the helmet box inside. My helmet box WAS my shipping box. They just stuck labels to the outside of it and sent it out. Needless to say the box is destroyed.

The helmet itself is fine, no visible cracks or missing parts. One side has an Ozma sticker, while the other side has a ripped UN Spacy Kite sticker. The paint quality is definitely mass produced quality vs the higher end designs (I'm assuming, I don't have any of the Yamato ones). Uneven paint surfaces, uneven detail lines and chips everywhere. That being said at a cursory first glance it looks very cool.

Mine has an ECER sticker. The box says it meets DOT standards, but it doesn't come with a DOT sticker. Does that mean it cant be used at the track or on roads? Any of you get yours?

yeah it will protect the same way a open face helmet will there are ways to make the macross parts stronger i'm going to renforce with fiber glas and then give it a grade A paint job.

got mine last week with several QC issues too

1. Piece on back of helmet broke off
2. Crack down center of helmet and chipped paint
3. Mis-aligned arrows on both sides of the helmet

IMG 4020

IMG 4022

IMG 4023

IMG 4024

emailed him today and will see what options he has. Kinda sucks the ebay ones are so cheap..... may pick up a Max one if it's that price too.

I had zero problems related to Shipping damages only.

I still have QC problems from the manufacturer.

I still was sent a Red helmet when I requested a Yellow one.

Because of the manufacturers QC problems I can not value these helmets beyond the preorder price. For the full asking price the arrows should be aligned and every bit of paint/decal applied correctly.

As for the eBay prices. They should at least set a minimum asking price that isn't too far below the preorder price. I don't like seeing people getting a much better deal only 3 days after I got my helmet. Now can I have my Yellow helmet at the eBay prices please?

these guys are close to a finished product. One solid piece on the side, no worries of mis-aligned arrows

http://www.peruprops.com/

mac_zps5ae4bc36.jpg

I actually wanted to get one of these once they're completed, however they never respond to my questions either through their website or FB page.

Got mine today. The crack/chip on top-center that everyone noted is present on mine as well.

10897071_415206291974966_374879661373802

I emailed and they offered me the $85 'deal' for another helmet and visor. I don't have the $$ right now for that. i just want the one I have to not be broken. I hope they can make it right. I'll hold out to see if they come through.

Edited by lavinrac

Oh a few other notes. Its not too bad:

- All the decal/lines are applied straight everywhere, no wiggly lines like I have seen on some samples here.

- Unwanted skull (frontier style) decal can be removed with a simple scraping with a plastic scraper that does not damage paint

- Side arrows lined up perfectly on one side, slightly off on other. really not bad. Can live with it.

- Liner is 'luxurious' feeling and high quality, to my eye anyhow. I do not ride motorcycles, but it certainly feels plush and nice.

Once they get me a new top visor I will be happy with it.

I wonder if the newly reported "packaging" related issues are leftovers from the initial holiday shipments...or are they still shipping them out with shoddy packing?

Send out packed in a way that damage is all but guaranteed = potential for another $85?

I hope everyone gets their issues resolved, personally I would not drop a single dime more to get my helmet "fixed"....hope to hear some good outcomes from this mess soon.

Packing paper, foam-peanuts, bubble wrap, news paper or even thin craft paper would solve this issue. I sell WWI & WWII Helmets around the world for museums & collectors and while those helmets are made of solid steel, I still securely pack them up good & snug. This however is fairly fragile plastic sent with a thin cloth cover as its only padding, while materials like new paper do add some weight it works & is better than nothing.

You guys really should be posting to their social media with your problems though. There's no excuse that they are shipping these things this way. They should be packed properly in the first place :(

I've sent another e-mail confirming my extra helmet AND replacement visor PLUS that they've stepped up their shipping materials before $85 payment is sent.

I've pretty lucky my arrows are aligned and the faux oxygen tube holes came intact.

Lol those front plastic pieces will be especially awesome cutting through your face on impact.

You have balls of steel.

They designed the front face guard to go over the helmet's plastic visor, so the visor will block the top edge of the front face guard from cutting into your face on any basic impact like a fall. The outer pieces are just added for looks and will definitely break on impact, but it's the original helmet that everything is added on around that's supposed to protect your head during impact and is DOT approved. People wear only these open face helmets without any addons all the time and do pretty well when they come off their bikes. The visor is definitely part of the protection these open face helmets require to be of any use. But just as the warning label and any helmet manufacturer states: "NO helmet can protect the wearer from all impacts."

Maybe Masei or one of the many owners can make an impact video with one of their bum helmets to study the results of an average impact with one of these helmets.

you can make the front face guard stronger with steel insert or carbon fiber.

I hope you're a structural engineer than, because it's not that simple.

They designed the front face guard to go over the helmet's plastic visor, so the visor will block the top edge of the front face guard from cutting into your face on any basic impact like a fall. The outer pieces are just added for looks and will definitely break on impact, but it's the original helmet that everything is added on around that's supposed to protect your head during impact and is DOT approved. People wear only these open face helmets without any addons all the time and do pretty well when they come off their bikes. The visor is definitely part of the protection these open face helmets require to be of any use. But just as the warning label and any helmet manufacturer states: "NO helmet can protect the wearer from all impacts."

Maybe Masei or one of the many owners can make an impact video with one of their bum helmets to study the results of an average impact with one of these helmets.

DOT... lol

DOT certification, however, is less regulated. The manufacturer performs their own tests and determines whether their helmets are DOT approved. Even though the manufacturer doesn't have to report their findings, the government does occasionally conduct limited tests or spot checks. Nevertheless, allowing each company to test their own equipment and not make them report their results means that the DOT certification is done by the honor system.

Be careful guys, it's your life.

your right no helmet will protect you fully form crash . side note look at the size compared to yamato helmet wow !

Clearly the Masei is designed for a 'human' head. The Yamato is sexier but i don't know anyone with an anime head. ;)'