New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

Got all 3 of my helmets today (got a max, rick and roy). They are beautiful. They weren't packaged very well, but they survived pretty well (the rick does have a slight crack on the top of the visor (about 1/2 inch), which can easily be covered with paint, and one of the exhaust port things on the back broke off, which can be easily super glued on). They each came in a black fabric drawstring bag (with the Masei logo on it). They DON'T have the M911 on the arrow (yay). They do have the un spacy kite logo and the skull shield thingy in the pictures though (they look like they might be able to be removed, haven't tried yet though, will wait for someone else to do it so I can find the best way to remove them). They have white shells, so no worries there. The Max on mine actually already has a blue tinted visor (Yay, free bonus for me?). The arrows line up pretty well on the Max and Roy (close to perfect), the Rick they are a little off, but not by too much. Overall, I'm VERY happy with my purchases. I'd post pictures, but I got a New Year's Eve Gaming party to go to and don't wanna be late. Happy New Year all, you should be getting your helmets very soon ^_^ (considering I live in PA, further than most of you peeps are from Asia).

Received my Roy today, the packaging was a joke. Helmet was fine though, overall not too bad for the early bird price. There are some minor QA issues such as paint chip, mis-aligned decals. Good thing is, I think the SMS and UN Spacy logos on the side should be able to be removed easily. No more M-911 text on the arrows, though one side is slightly mis-aligned.

I got a large, which in essence only meant a smaller padding. I found the overall helmet a bit tight on my big noggin (7 1/2). I thought Masei said they would include multiple padding sizes just in case, but mine came pre-installed with the large only.

Edit: Oh yeah, it would've been nice if they had used a black interior liner rather than the red (unless you were getting a Hikaru version). =p

post-1616-0-99813600-1420216944_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-95545400-1420216945_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-17410500-1420216947_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-84894400-1420216948_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-37075800-1420216951_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-17486700-1420216953_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-99051400-1420216953_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-01224000-1420216955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phalanix

Mine came with a half inch crack underneath the tampo printing near the top of the visor. I've already e-mailed asking if they could send a replacement. :mellow:

Aside from that...the arrows line up and it fits perfectly.

post-31-0-77235100-1420238850_thumb.jpg

Mine came with a half inch crack underneath the tampo printing near the top of the visor. I've already e-mailed asking if they could send a replacement. :mellow:

Aside from that...the arrows line up and it fits perfectly.

Is the visor molded in red or black? Are the side arrow graphics also orange-ish on yours? I would prefer a red "Hikaru"...but after seeing the pics I'm leaning towards a blue "Max".....

Mine came in the packaging is a joke but overall pretty satisfied, little chips in the top visor (red/black part)but nothing noticeable How do you take off the visor to remove the protective film?

Edit: I got the film off by unscrewing the outside screws on the sides, taking off the mouth guard then unscrewing the ones underneath that to remove the top visor then that gave me access to pop off the clear visor to remove the rest of the clear protective film.

Edited by Murphy

Is the visor molded in red or black? Are the side arrow graphics also orange-ish on yours? I would prefer a red "Hikaru"...but after seeing the pics I'm leaning towards a blue "Max".....

The visor is molded with red plastic with black tampo printed over.

The side arrows are slightly less red compared to the visor.

Picked up my 'Max' today.

post-367-0-43655400-1420242402_thumb.jpg

Color seems on to me, and the arrows are straight. I'm okay with the UNS kite on the left , but not a fan of the skull decal on the right, especially given that it is the MacF style rather than the traditional jolly-roger. Fit seems about proper, though it feels weird to not have it actually be full-face.

Mine received some damage - two cracks, one on the visor and one on the wrap-around section. Neither should be hard to fix up. The visor one is the worst, since it caused the vinyl - the black parts, as it is actually blue, as the Hik is red - to bubble up. Considering how poorly packed it was, it's really surprising that it wasn't even worse off.

Well I received mine as well today, with a few issues. First it went to the wrong address, after I emailed and emailed and emailed them telling them my current address. Even my payment had my new address, but oh well an easy fix. The outer box was a HUGE joke, barely holding together. The only damage to was the two round pegs on the back were broken off but I think it can be fix. Now for the punch in the nards, I ordered an XL Hikaru, but I received a L one, aaaagggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Yes, I know I'm not going to wear it when I ride but maybe during the Zombie apocalypse I will. I don't know if its worth all the coming drama to ask for the correct size, guess I'll see. But over all this thing looks great, it really kicks @$$.

Just took off the SMS Skull and UN Spacy logo...they're simple waterslide decals and come off VERY easily.

You also need to delatch the windshield to remove the safety plastic film from both sides. But first you'll need to unscrew the visor and lower front half...very easy to do as well.

I'll put up a video later tonight. This thing f'n ROCKS

I don't have a flightsuit, but figure I do have the next best thing - a set of leathers in Max-ish colors. So I put them on and took the obligatory selfie. (With the shield removed for now.)

post-367-0-18485200-1420249276.jpg

More thoughts as to fit after wearing it around a bit: it's sort of small, but sort of not. Just doesn't fit me quite right - I have a Shoei-shaped head, and it doesn't seem to suit that shape. Not expecting to really use it for protection, but just commenting. It would do just fine for cosplay and the like.

Okay, I will probably go blasting around in it for a bit, after it warms up this year. Just once though. :)

ETA : I agree with the general sentiment, in that they really did a good job overall with this. Just wish they could have applied that to doing a better job packing it for worldwide shipment.

Edited by Cdr Fokker

I got my helmet back in September and after seeing that crushed shipping box & the cracks to the upper visors (had both those issues), I figured the boxes and packing supplies would have been highly improved. I like the Max colors alot, I might get one of those too. One Shin Kudo and one Max... works for me. B))

Whelp mine came scratched, scuffed, the visor isnt completely tampo'd, and has a particularly mean scratch on the back too. Arrow doesn't line up.

Overall, looks okay, but the quality is extremely disappointing. I wonder if they'll give some kind of partial refund or something.

post-261-0-34583600-1420311366_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-45762700-1420311385_thumb.jpg

Masei responded to my inquiry about damages to the visor.

They apologized for the lack of shipping materials, that they wanted to get them out as quickly as possible. :mellow:

I was offered a second helmet plus replacement visor...with proper packaging. All I'd have to pay is the EMS shipping charge.

Man, Sorry so many of you had damage.

Kind of a rookie mistake of them, But on the other hand I don't think they are used to shipping direct to customer. I think they generally ship containers full.

Wondering what kind of custom mods you guys will come up with. I would like to seal off the open back area on the chin guard eventually...

My came cracked on the top visor and the back plus scratches and paint chips on the corners as well..... with a little super glue and sanding was able to fit it .... there only 6 screws ...2 back 2 on the side and 2 on the inside and the whole thing come apart ... Carbon fiber wrap all the black parts and cover the cracked areas as well.... painted the inside of the top visor all black as well as inside the mouth guard,.. my arrow align perfectly so all i have to do was paint the screw red :)

10888352_633620596766866_9380759700075251489109_633620813433511_8005052125343494

Edited by lancalot

Thanks for the review, man. Very torn on getting one of these. I think I'm gonna hold off due to all the shipping damage I'm seeing here.

VERY Happy with the helmet!! Received in perfect condition! A surprising New Year Holidy Present

Maybe it's a language thing but I'm confused with this post. Aren't you with Masei? I've seen several posts by you so far in this thread pretending to be a customer or something. Please stop. It's in poor taste to misrepresent yourself like this...

Edit: Looked it up...you are with Masei...so stop with those kinds of posts. You can talk about your product all you want but don't misrepresent yourself as a customer of Masei:

http://vk.com/public58502737

Masei Helmets

Item
Description:
We invite you to join our Masei Helmets Page in VK to share motorcycle news and joy together! By Masei Helmet & Luusama. My email is sales@maseihelmets.com or masei_helmet@hotmail.com & our skype is colonknight@hotmail.com
Date Created:
17 September 2013
Edited by xrentonx