New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

Hi guys, I need y our help on something. I purchased all three helmets and they arrived at the end of Dec. I been busy with some serious family issues and just got around to opening them up and I found that the Hikaru helmet i cracked on both sides (really bad). I bought them from HLJ and I contacted them but I haven't heard back yet. Any ideas on what I should do next?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice helmet and car, thanks for the pictures!

I was thinking about getting the Hikaru motorcycle helmet version to use with my Yamaha FZR 1000cc, the colors are similar.

It's weird, but as soon as I saw the neighborhood in the background, I knew that was Texas. :huh:

I grew up in a new subdivision just like that in Deer Park, just outside of Houston. My father is a native Texan as well going back several generations, but my mom's a cajun from New Orleans. ^_^

See ya'll later over yonder :lol:

• 2 years later...

NECROPOST! Figured I'd tack this on to the end of this thread instead of starting a new one.

I got a text from a friend today about Masei motorcycle helmets doing a limited, 100 unit run of DOT approved Macross DYRL helmets. I'm sure they're walking all over Yamato's IP & copyrights.

Thanks for all of your responses for this Macross Helmet. We will have 100 units in May/June with DOT standard. The one in Japan was just a toy helmet with no motorcycle standard (US$500), but ours is DOT standard and only US$149 including shipping worldwide. M L XL. Only 100 units made for our Facebook friends.

masei_mac1.JPG

masei_mac2.JPG

Looks pretty tempting at that price point. Do we have to be on facebook to order one?

It seems so. And for $149 shipped worldwide, I'd jump on this like a hound dog because I missed out on the Yamato release, due to the pricepoint.

that's awesome. tell them to email me final production pics so we can put it on the front page.

The final production pics I was sent via text were of the original Yamato release in '03. I cried bullshit that those were examples of Masei's helmet, until I was sent what was quoted above. Then I scoured the internet for the pics posted.

It seems so. And for $149 shipped worldwide, I'd jump on this like a hound dog because I missed out on the Yamato release, due to the pricepoint.

The final production pics I was sent via text were of the original Yamato release in '03. I cried bullshit that those were examples of Masei's helmet, until I was sent what was quoted above. Then I scoured the internet for the pics posted.

I saw the Yamato helmets on their FB page. They didn't say it was theirs, just asked if they knew what it was from. The funny thing is I don't consider the Yamato helmets line art accurate. But it's cool to have motorcycle sized one that are built to safety standards... still if you fly off your bike and you land on the tip of that blast shield, I'm pretty sure your neck won't survive... not that regular hemets can totally save you. I think the helmets from the VF-X2 game would make perfect riding helmets...

Wow, i don't even ride, but I'd buy one of those helmets just because it looks like a decent replica, and it's not $1,000. I seriously doubt I'll be able to get my hands on one though, only 100 world-wide? And how many Facebook friends do they have?

Edited by peter

The funny thing is I don't consider the Yamato helmets line art accurate.

I think I know what you mean by that, but study the line art a little closer. There are at least 3 front views in the line art that show the contours at the bottom that the Yamato helmets have. None of the side views have any representation of them drawn, but the contours have to be present (and at least very similar to Yamato's representation) in order to match those front views. I think Yamato did a great job in interpreting those shapes with soft edges, matching only the hard edges to what was drawn for all the other angles. That's actually something that all the other representations seem to have missed.

This motorcycle helmet puts too much of a sharp edge in there, and doesn't curve it to match the contour that the line art consistently shows from the front. I think the Yamato is the more accurate representation, actually.

I have the Yamato Fokker helmet, and it certainly is huge! However, if you look at the exaggerated proportions of the drawn characters, it actually makes sense. I think if you took one of those Toynami 1/6 dolls, and blew up the helmet to 1/1 scale, it would be about the same size as the Yamato (maybe even bigger). The shape, however, wouldn't match the line art nearly as well.

I reserved one...but they won't be releasing them anytime this year.

I was also quoted $149 to $179 plus shipping.

They got back to you? Did you pay upfront? I sent them a message but I never got anything back : / feels like this is nothing more than a pipe dream to me.

I reserved one...but they won't be releasing them anytime this year.

I was also quoted $149 to $179 plus shipping.

Where did you reserve it at? Do you have a link?

• 2 weeks later...

masei finally got back to me thru their FB channel. Looks like the price has gone up and will take half a year to do.still though considering its still a cheaper alternative to YAMATO's I'm all in. I just hope the end of the world doesn't happen before I get it!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...