Battletechnology

Not quite with you there :unsure:

Kerensky left for the periphery on Operation Exodus in 2784. The Star League was disbanded 3 years earlier in 2781 and Kerensky was stripped of his title of Protector the year before that, so how could his leaving the IS have anything to do with the Star League falling apart?

I don't think he "inadvertently" formed the Clans as it was his idea all along to form something similar to Star League and eventually return to sort out the IS.

And of course none of the IS states wanted "the entire pie to play with" did they :rolleyes:

Kerensky and his followers left and traveled for awhile. Eventually, they found planets to settle and then became just like the Inner Sphere, warring with each other. Eventually, Kerensky's son, Nicholas rearranged them all into the clans.

There's got to be a synopsis somewhere on the web....

found it

History

After months of deliberation, Aleksandr convened most of the Star League forces still loyal to him (over 80%) and departed the Inner Sphere. After years of traveling, the massive flotilla of Star League refugees came upon five marginally habitable worlds, the so-called Pentagon Worlds (due to their near-pentametric relation to each other). There Kerensky's followers tried to forge life as they knew it once again, and for a time it seemed the Star League would still exist, far away from Terra, although this was not to be. Within a year, cracks were beginning to form along faction lines and soon the Pentagon Worlds were at war: an eerie parallel to the carnage unfolding concurrently in the Inner Sphere, a conflict now known as the First Succession War. At this, Kerensky prepared to gather the precious few troops still loyal to him, when he suffered a massive heart attack and as his dying wish, Kerensky left the reigns of the Exile Star League in the hands of his son, Nicholas. Kerensky's son took 800 of his best warriors and 600 civilian families away to a planet known as Strana Mechty ("land of dreams" in Russian) where he forged a new order. This order was known as the Clans. Those who possessed exceptional military skill became the breeding stock of what would become a hereditary ruling class. They embodied the pinnacle of combat prowess, and were put through a variety of competitive and selective processes with each generation to produce virtual super-soldiers. They were charged to protect the weak and powerless, but primarily to take back the Pentagon Worlds and, some day, the Inner Sphere where they, the Clans, would reinstate the glorious Star League.

In the beginning there were twenty clans, each with forty warriors. Over time, three clans were Absorbed (Clans Widowmaker, Mongoose, Burrock), two were Annihilated (Clans Wolverine and Smoke Jaguar), one was Abjured (Clan Nova Cat), another was split in two (Clan Wolf), and two eventually merged with Inner Sphere nations (Clans Ghost Bear and Snow Raven, respectively). Today, the Clans are almost wholly unrecognizable, compared to their forebears.

Though Clan history speaks of twenty Clans and the Eight Hundred Bloodnamed, Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht encountered information on board the Wolf Clan flag vessel, Dire Wolf that lead him to suspect the number may have been as low as six hundred or greater than eight hundred. It is possible that the practices of Reaving and the ilKhan's right to primogeniture were later attempts to retcon this information. It is also likely that the Annihilation of Clan Wolverine and Absorption of Clans Widowmaker and Mongoose altered the Bloodcount.

Not quite with you there :unsure:

Kerensky left for the periphery on Operation Exodus in 2784. The Star League was disbanded 3 years earlier in 2781 and Kerensky was stripped of his title of Protector the year before that, so how could his leaving the IS have anything to do with the Star League falling apart?

I don't think he "inadvertently" formed the Clans as it was his idea all along to form something similar to Star League and eventually return to sort out the IS.

And of course none of the IS states wanted "the entire pie to play with" did they :rolleyes:

I thought he left as the Star Legue fell apart (that animated series was really vague about that point). Silly me.

And in case you haven't guessed, I have an abject hatred for Clan Jade Falcon, espicially for the sh*t they pulled on planet Sommerset

(freeing the planet, while taking the

entire population hostage)

Edited by Wanzerfan

After seeing Macross Plus on Encore Action, I would have to agree with Nexx...

Kawamori certainly has his head up his ass!!!

And God help the Armored Core franchise if Kowamori ever gets his grubby hands on it.

Spoken like a true Macross fan! ;)

At this, Kerensky prepared to gather the precious few troops still loyal to him, when he suffered a massive heart attack and as his dying wish, Kerensky left the reigns of the Exile Star League in the hands of his son, Nicholas. Kerensky's son took 800 of his best warriors and 600 civilian families away to a planet known as Strana Mechty ("land of dreams" in Russian) where he forged a new order. This order was known as the Clans. Those who possessed exceptional military skill became the breeding stock of what would become a hereditary ruling class. They embodied the pinnacle of combat prowess, and were put through a variety of competitive and selective processes with each generation to produce virtual super-soldiers. They were charged to protect the weak and powerless, but primarily to take back the Pentagon Worlds and, some day, the Inner Sphere where they, the Clans, would reinstate the glorious Star League.

I find this abit lol cause Kerensky died of a heart attack, and his Bloodname/gene is considered the most valuable to the Clans? :lol: Though i'm sure they'd find out how to remove the "heart attack gene" later on in the sibko genepool.

I thought he left as the Star Legue fell apart (that animated series was really vague about that point). Silly me.

And in case you haven't guessed, I have an abject hatred for Clan Jade Falcon, espicially for the sh*t they pulled on planet Sommerset

(freeing the planet, while taking the

entire population hostage)

Jade Falcon are one of the shrewdest clans there was and i actually like them for that. And also who can forget the legend of the Jade Phoenix, Aidan Pryde? (Awesome triology book IMHO) I used to be a Clan Wolf fan but their future endeavours are kinda of disappointing and they eventually get assimilated into the IS.

I find this abit lol cause Kerensky died of a heart attack, and his Bloodname/gene is considered the most valuable to the Clans? :lol: Though i'm sure they'd find out how to remove the "heart attack gene" later on in the sibko genepool.

His geneseed & bloodname are Clan Wolf exclusive so they got all they deserved :p

Have you read the rest of the Jade Falcon novels by Thurston, I am Jade Falcon, Freebirth & Falcon Rising? Pity he didn't write more.

Isn't Freebirth part of the Twilight of the Clans series? I read Freebirth but didn't read the other two though. :(

Freebirth was about Horse IINM and also another compelling book. :)

Isn't Freebirth part of the Twilight of the Clans series? I read Freebirth but didn't read the other two though. :(

Freebirth was about Horse IINM and also another compelling book. :)

Freebirth was part of the Twilight of The Clans series but it was a continuation of the story of all the characters from Thurston's previous Jade Falcon books. If you get a chance you should read I am Jade Falcon ( it continues on where Falcon Guard left off and expands on my favourite, Joanna) and Falcon Rising (which is also part of the Twilight series) which closes out most of the loose ends from the previous 5 books but unfortunately leaves a lot of what ifs that make you hang out for at least another book. Who knows with the resurgance of Battletech over the last few months we might just get the last book.

Robert Thurston is a great novelist. Didnt realise there wer more Jade Falcon books. I have the first three and most of the preceeding Battletech novels.

Havent bought any Btech books in getting on for 15+ years

Thurston has written other novels and film adaptations too.

Other Battletech books worth reading are the Warrior trilogy by Michael A Stackpole Although this centers on the I.S and is Pre-clans

Anyone heard about MechWarrior "5"?

Hopefully it's not vaporware. Looks good, definitely better than the steaming piles Microsoft heaped on us in the past few years (save for the MechCommander series which had redeeming qualities and MechWarrior 3). Mechassault 2? *shudder*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4eI3htAuA

3015 setting = Awesome (pre-clans, right into the middle of some of the fiercest Succession Wars, leaving room for sequals and expansions to retread Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior 2)

Reseen Warhammer = Awesome (better looking than the technical drawings!)

Atlas Prime = Awesome

Jenner = Well, I guess there's a mech for everyone...

Supposedly that trailer is in game. Yet to be seen if that's true, but if it is I can only say one thing. AWESOME.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Yea, Vostok. We've already been talking about that a couple pages back. I think the official title is just Mechwarrior (its a series reboot)... But I think the Mechwarrior communities have been calling it Mechwarrior 3015.

This is a new game from a different developer and most definitely not going to be vapourware. Seems like they're too far along development to really scrap it anyway. I really didn't mind Microsofts lasts attempts at Mechwarrior though, although the whole Mechassault series was more of a console action shooter than anything. MW4 and MW4 Mercs was still pretty well done, although they moved it away from MW2 and MW3 a little. I liked them enough that after hearing about the new game, I got back into playing Mercs lately.

Definitely interested in Mechwarrior (5). It's been a while since I've played a good MW game. Which is why I'm even more interested in the generosity of the developers to give away MW4 free for download soon.

Hmm, coupled with the fact that I finally have a macro capable mouse and keyboard, I think these MW games will be even more fun than the last time. :lol:

Yea, Vostok. We've already been talking about that a couple pages back. I think the official title is just Mechwarrior (its a series reboot)... But I think the Mechwarrior communities have been calling it Mechwarrior 3015.

This is a new game from a different developer and most definitely not going to be vapourware. Seems like they're too far along development to really scrap it anyway. I really didn't mind Microsofts lasts attempts at Mechwarrior though, although the whole Mechassault series was more of a console action shooter than anything. MW4 and MW4 Mercs was still pretty well done, although they moved it away from MW2 and MW3 a little. I liked them enough that after hearing about the new game, I got back into playing Mercs lately.

Sorry, been away for a couple months ^_^

Both Mechassaults were fun, but I had to seriously turn off the uber-Battletech-geek within to play them at all.

My biggest issue with MW4 was the lack of "put anything anywhere" that all the previous games had. The square block goes in a square hole type of chassis modding just didn't work for me. It works great in Mechcommander where you're a desk jockey on a Dropship, but when you're the actual Mechwarrior you're supposed to have much more control over the setup of your 'Mech. One of the things I loved the most about MW2 was making some of the most off the wall combination and having them work. I once came up with a well rounded design for a Hellbringer once that was packed with short, mid and long range weaponry and plenty of armor and heat sinks, totally whipped up at the arena map in online multiplayer. Called it the Pit Viper. :D Or when I made a Marauder IIC with three ER PPCs.

Really looking forward to this new Mechwarrior.

Vostok 7

3015 setting = Awesome (pre-clans, right into the middle of some of the fiercest Succession Wars, leaving room for sequals and expansions to retread Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior 2)

Reseen Warhammer = Awesome (better looking than the technical drawings!)

Atlas Prime = Awesome

Jenner = Well, I guess there's a mech for everyone...

Supposedly that trailer is in game. Yet to be seen if that's true, but if it is I can only say one thing. AWESOME.

You are sorely mistaken.

This is an Awesome.

Edited by theplasticwerks

From what I've heard they are going to use an XP based system and play will be scaled so that you won't have to have the biggest and baddest 'Mech to keep going. Supposedly you will be rewarded for choosing a class and sticking with it. Much more realistic and like the real Mechwarrior/Battletech table game.

Hopefully if it takes off we'll see more. I'd be more than happy with a Classic Battletech resurrection since the current holders of Classic BT licenses sure haven't done much with them.

Vostok 7

Hopefully if it takes off we'll see more. I'd be more than happy with a Classic Battletech resurrection since the current holders of Classic BT licenses sure haven't done much with them.

Are you refering to the PC Game license or the general book license? Because Catalyst Game Lab has done quite a bit for the CBT line in the last 2 years.

Sorry, been away for a couple months ^_^

Both Mechassaults were fun, but I had to seriously turn off the uber-Battletech-geek within to play them at all.

My biggest issue with MW4 was the lack of "put anything anywhere" that all the previous games had. The square block goes in a square hole type of chassis modding just didn't work for me. It works great in Mechcommander where you're a desk jockey on a Dropship, but when you're the actual Mechwarrior you're supposed to have much more control over the setup of your 'Mech. One of the things I loved the most about MW2 was making some of the most off the wall combination and having them work. I once came up with a well rounded design for a Hellbringer once that was packed with short, mid and long range weaponry and plenty of armor and heat sinks, totally whipped up at the arena map in online multiplayer. Called it the Pit Viper. :DOr when I made a Marauder IIC with three ER PPCs.

Really looking forward to this new Mechwarrior.

Vostok 7

I bet that really played hell with the heat.

I heard about this one guy who wanted a mech that didn't generate any heat at all. basically what he got was an Atlas with enough slugthrowers to trun anyone into swiss cheese.

What the moron didn't realize is that you lose heat at the start of your next turn.

I bet that really played hell with the heat.

I heard about this one guy who wanted a mech that didn't generate any heat at all. basically what he got was an Atlas with enough slugthrowers to trun anyone into swiss cheese.

What the moron didn't realize is that you lose heat at the start of your next turn.

unless they changed the rules from the 1990 BT Compendium you're wrong. During the heat phase players add up the heat points built up MINUS the BT Mechs heat sink. The resulting number is then added to the heatscale. This is in the same turn.

but with a non energy weapon equipped mech, doesn't the conventional stuff still generate some heat? albit not enough to shut the mech down, but what happens when you run out of ammo?

think i am going to dig out my MW3 discs and try to make a mech with no energy weapons and see what happens. i think MW3 was the game where it didn't matter where you put anything as long as you had the required number of open slots.

or i can try it in MW4 and just not use the energy weapons...

unless they changed the rules from the 1990 BT Compendium you're wrong. During the heat phase players add up the heat points built up MINUS the BT Mechs heat sink. The resulting number is then added to the heatscale. This is in the same turn.

It's been a while since I've played the tabletop game so my memory on the subject is fuzzy at best.

Pretty harsh statement to make when you don't know the rules yourself <_<

Correct. Heat is the second last phase in the turn.

Just as note, there are plenty of non custom (standard) mechs that are capable of jumping or running their max distance, firing all weapons and ending the heat phase with zero heat.

What I remember about the table top play is mostly just how long it all took. The actual rules etc are very fuzzy, despite the fact that I own almost all the original packs books and maps etc. I mostly enjoyed painting the Ral Partha lead figures.

Anyone interested in a Macross World Mechwarrior 4 get together. I think it would be fun. I used to play in a clan and still have my config files for the variants we used. I have all the maps and MekTek packs and upgrades etc. so if anyone needs any that are no longer available I can help out. :)

Pretty harsh statement to make when you don't know the rules yourself <_<

Correct. Heat is the second last phase in the turn.

Just as note, there are plenty of non custom (standard) mechs that are capable of jumping or running their max distance, firing all weapons and ending the heat phase with zero heat.

It's not very harsh since the guy I'm thinking is most likely's the one who cheated every chance he got by re-rolling his failures in every game he's played, recalculating his AD&D THAC0s after he rolls so he hits every time, etc. (I have to ask my friend to be sure it's guy I'm thinking of, the guy's his buddy).

Edited by Wanzerfan

It's not very harsh since the guy I'm thinking is most likely's the one who cheated every chance he got by re-rolling his failures in every game he's played, recalculating his AD&D THAC0s after he rolls so he hits every time, etc. (I have to ask my friend to be sure it's guy I'm thinking of, the guy's his buddy).

There is no mechanism in the game that allows for re-rolls so those playing him are not that up with rules either and I find it amazing that you can bag someone and you're not even sure it's the same person you're thinking of :blink:

I'll bite on the abbreviations though, what's AD&D & THACO ?

All these talk of the old tabletop rules are getting me misty eyed!

I remember how it takes up to about 30 mins just to resolve one dang turn of combat for a Lance vs Lance battle!

Anyone like to use the same tactic as me in maps with forests or other obstructions?

1. Load up a heavy mech (<85 tons due to the 2 ton jump jets on the biggies) with jets and all the torso mounted medium/medium pulse lasers you can pack.

2. Get in close, better if its in forests or you have other terrain to obstruct LOS.

3. Wait to win initiative.

4. Jump behind the nearest enemy and fire all pulse lasers, add in 2 punches and 1 kick.

5. Watch opponents face as he realises how worthless all that front torso armour and expensive gauss rifles/PPCs are.

Yea, a MW4 get together would be pretty awesome. I have the Megamek packs and all that stuff too, but for Mercs. I dunno if that makes a diff. I do have MW4 too, its just not installed atm. I wonder if we have enough people...

There is no mechanism in the game that allows for re-rolls so those playing him are not that up with rules either and I find it amazing that you can bag someone and you're not even sure it's the same person you're thinking of :blink:

I'll bite on the abbreviations though, what's AD&D & THACO ?

I'm going to assume you're kidding but if not......

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

To Hit Armor Class 0(Zero).

Retracting Head Ter Ter:

Firestarter. Loverly mech. Burns up all your forest-y areas so you ain't got a place to hide. :p

Anyone interested in a Macross World Mechwarrior 4 get together. I think it would be fun. I used to play in a clan and still have my config files for the variants we used. I have all the maps and MekTek packs and upgrades etc. so if anyone needs any that are no longer available I can help out. :)

And remember, MechWarrior 4 will be free to download very soon!

I'm going to assume you're kidding but if not......

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

To Hit Armor Class 0(Zero).

WFT does any of that have to do with Battletech was my point ;)

1. Load up a heavy mech (<85 tons due to the 2 ton jump jets on the biggies) with jets and all the torso mounted medium/medium pulse lasers you can pack.

That's why I prefer to use standard configurations. Munchkins ruin the game.

4. Jump behind the nearest enemy and fire all pulse lasers, add in 2 punches and 1 kick.

You were only ever allowed to do both physical attacks in the original rules, all revisions from the Compendium onwards only allow one or the other. For that one trick pony to work your opponent would have had to have been a noob or a total plonker who didn't understand the game and where's the fun in that.