Battletechnology

• 1 month later...

No news regarding MW5 but Mektek says that free MW4 and expansion should be announced around the American thanksgiving.

http://mektek.net/index.php?ind=news&o...le&ide=1108

Regarding Mechwarrior4 FREE Release Status

The Mechwarrior4 FREE release is still currently to be announced. MekTek had hoped to gain permission for the release while visiting Smith and Tinker, Inc. in Seattle this week. However, we have learned that Microsoft has endured several administrative changes which currently impede the release. The good news, however, is that a meeting to finalize the release is scheduled near the American Thanks Giving Holiday. Smith and Tinker said that it will only take 1-2 more days before permission is granted. From MekTek, we are happy to report that the release is ready and awaiting permission to push that big shiny green release button at MekTek headquarters.

Was anyone able to download the anniversary book preview before it was "sanitized"? Wasn't able to keep a copy so I'd appreciate a link.

Yes and there's not that much difference.

Edit: just did a back to back page comparison and the only difference between the original and V2 is pg 92. The original had a picture of the cover of the Introductory Box Set (25th Anniversary Edition) which shows a Warhammer getting hammered and V2 has a picture of the forthcoming Clan Expansion Box Set which shows a Mad Dog dishing out a bit of pain.

ALL other pics of the so called unseens ARE still there.

Edited by thegunny

• 1 month later...
That vids hot! Maybe it's finally time to buy Crysis?

MWLL is still very much a beta. Lots of problems with people crashing, and unless you get onto one of the good servers, the lag makes it pretty much unplayable.

That being said, when it does work, it works really well. It plays a bit like Battlefield- you start out as a foot soldier (either a Clan Elemental or an IS trooper in Battle Armor) at your base, and are given some credits to start. From there, you can either run around on foot, or purchase a vehicle or 'Mech. Initially you only have enough for light units, but you earn more credits by killing the other team. No customization yet, but each vehicle/'Mech has 2-4 variants to choose from, and when you mouse over them it tells you what the unit's loadout is. After you select a unit, you wait a bit for it to build, then one of the vehicle bays opens up and your unit's sitting in it ready to go. Just run up and hop in (at the moment, for 'Mechs you actually have to use jump jets to get to the cockpit).

There is a Clan base and an IS base on each map, with vehicle facilities and defenses. From what I gathered you're just trying to knock out the other team's base. I haven't gotten much play time in due to the technical issues, so I can't say for sure.

Things that are neat:

LRMs actually work like LRMs. When you fire them, they launch at a high angle, so it's next to impossible to hit anything at short range with them. If you have a target lock, the missiles will come down on your target. If you don't, they'll come down wherever you were pointing your reticle when you fired (provided it was at a spot beyond minimum range).

Autocannons actually work like autocannons. They don't fire a single shot, or a single shot disguised as a big stream of bullets, they are actual automatic weapons.

TAG and NARC. If your unit is equipped with TAG, you can designate targets with it. When you do, a notice pops up your teammates' HUDs that tells them someone has a TAG lock. They can then fire off missiles which will home in on the TAG lock. I think NARC works the same way, only it's a missile you fire to designate rather than keeping a beam on a target.

Aerospace units. There are fighters and VTOLs available on most maps.

Things that are not so neat:

Stability. It's crashy for a lot of people.

Lag. Apparently this is partly to do with Crysis' networking code. The team is going to port it over to Crysis Wars, which had much better network code, but no idea when that's happening.

Edited by Syngyne

• 2 weeks later...

So how exactly do you install MWLL? I bought Cysis off Steam and DL'd both MWLL and the hotfix. When I try to run MWLL it can't find the Crysis.exe in it's bin64 folder. Can't find Crysis.exe in the steam folder either.

Running Win7 64bit.

Nevermind. Found some install info here.

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/forum/ind...pic,6568.0.html

Is the MechWarrior: Dark Age tabletop game still popular? I saw a House Davion Action Pack heavily discounted at a local store and thought it might be a good ebay selling opportunity. I know that the people making the game folded, but there has to still be a thriving community for it.

Edited by Einherjar

Is the MechWarrior: Dark Age tabletop game still popular? I saw a House Davion Action Pack heavily discounted at a local store and thought it might be a good ebay selling opportunity. I know that the people making the game folded, but there has to still be a thriving community for it.

As far as I know there are no sponsored tournaments any more and that's where it's popularity came from. Sure people are still playing it but without the lure of prize packs and cheap mechs that were on offer to clubs for their monthly games a lot of clubs have just dried up (at least in Aus anyway). In the last few months of last year I sold off about 400 clicky mechs on ebay so there is a market for them but they didn't sell as well as they did 2 years ago.

As far as I know there are no sponsored tournaments any more and that's where it's popularity came from. Sure people are still playing it but without the lure of prize packs and cheap mechs that were on offer to clubs for their monthly games a lot of clubs have just dried up (at least in Aus anyway). In the last few months of last year I sold off about 400 clicky mechs on ebay so there is a market for them but they didn't sell as well as they did 2 years ago.

Wizkids briefly folded a few years ago, taking the game with it. Wizkids is now back, but MWDA is not. Officially dead, but people are still playing.

Is there anything special about the House Davion Action Pack that might make it a good buy for people? There's 6 mechs inside including some Atlas.

I doubt you'd make enough to retire on ;)

Most places that still have the pack in stock are virtually giving it away.

One of the best things those packs had going for them was they were not pot luck like the regular series were. You knew what you were getting and there were some decent cards in some of the packs as well.

I reckon your best bet would be to break the pack up and sell the components individually. That way you just might get your money back.

• 3 months later...

Looks like Mechwarrior 4 is already up for grabs. Unfortunately the site's inaccesible now, probably getting hammered.

[edit] Looks like someone on Slickdeals posted a couple of alternate downloads that were posted on Anandtech:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=29766002

Torrent Mirror

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AL579RW9

And You need the Mektek X to install the mtx file which is here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1HD0ND6Y

Might need a redownload, or patch, but that's something to start on.

Edited by shiroikaze

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, if anyone doesn't know, you don't need the Mektek X file. Once you finish downloading the torrent for the game, just rename the extension to .zip and extract it. It's playable right away.

Thanks.

Every time I tried that damn MekTek control panel it sh!t itself in a different way so I gave up. Hopefully this time it will work.

At this point I'm worried MW5 has been dragged into production hell, although there's a mathematically non-zero chance they might be waiting to see the response to the free download to gauge public interest in the franchise.

At this point I'm worried MW5 has been dragged into production hell, although there's a mathematically non-zero chance they might be waiting to see the response to the free download to gauge public interest in the franchise.

seeing as how long it is still taking to do the free release of MW4, I have given up hope. I ended up digging out all my old MW4 discs.

seeing as how long it is still taking to do the free release of MW4, I have given up hope. I ended up digging out all my old MW4 discs.

The free release is available now :mellow:

It's been available for about a month. It's only Mercs though, not the whole series. Refer shiroikaze's posts for a link to where it's available for download and how to install without the PITA MekTek X control panel.

• 6 years later...