New Yamato Anime to Open in Japanese Theaters in 2009

UN Spacy

Future. In fact it's supposed to take place 17 years after the last movie "Final Yamato". :rolleyes:

But I bet it won't seamlessly connect to the original series and it'll end up being something like an alternate future. :lol:

I believe Sanada Shiro is already confirmed to appear in this movie.

In anycase, I'm excited about this new Yamato movie. I hope it leads to a new wave of Yamato toys and models.

So its 17 years later, I see. Hopefully it has some continuity with the original series, it will probably be small bits at best. Feels like forever since I've seen the Yamato movies, I need to watch them again.

As for new toys & models, bring them on!!! B))

That's nice to hear.

I saw the first two series way back in the seventies when it was released as Starblazers.

It wasn't until later that I found out that it was created by the same guy who came up with Captain Harlock.

I have a question, I know the first series dealt with the Argo (Starblazers referance here) was charged with the mission to deliver a cure to a disease to Earth (I was suprised when I saw the captian was afflicted with the disease). Is season 2 the story of what happens after the cure was delivered to Earth?

Yamato 1 was a trip to Iscandar to retrieve the cosmo cleaner to take out all the radiation that Earth had been bombarded with. Yamato 2 (my favorite of the series) was an all out brawl between Earth & the Comet Empire, with a Ressurected Desslor thrown in to boot, while Yamato 3 had yet another new race decided to blow the shite out of Earth by firing a bigass missile at the sun. There was also an inbetween Yamato 2-3 movie plot (I think 2 films?) with the Black Star empire nearly pwning Earth as well.

And then Final Yamato had a race who evolved on Earth & left before humanity rose, divert a huge space water deally to flood Earth so they could take it back over.

Yamato 1 was a trip to Iscandar to retrieve the cosmo cleaner to take out all the radiation that Earth had been bombarded with. Yamato 2 (my favorite of the series) was an all out brawl between Earth & the Comet Empire, with a Ressurected Desslor thrown in to boot, while Yamato 3 had yet another new race decided to blow the shite out of Earth by firing a bigass missile at the sun. There was also an inbetween Yamato 2-3 movie plot (I think 2 films?) with the Black Star empire nearly pwning Earth as well.

And then Final Yamato had a race who evolved on Earth & left before humanity rose, divert a huge space water deally to flood Earth so they could take it back over.

It's a little more convoluted than that...

There are three timelines for Yamato (not including the comics and stuff like that).

Timeline 1:

1. Space Battleship Yamato (TV Series or Movie Version)

2. Farewell Space Battleship Yamato (Movie)

Timeline 2:

1. Space Battleship Yamato (TV Series or Movie Version)

2. Space Battleship Yamato 2 (TV Series)

3. Space Battleship Yamato: The New Voyage (TV Movie)

4. Be Forever Yamato (Movie)

5. Space Battleship Yamato III (TV Series)

Timeline 3 is the same as Timeline 2, except Final Yamato takes the place of III (and yes, for some reason Yamato 2 is written with the Arabic numeral, and yet Yamto III uses Roman).

There's also Yamato 2520, but that was never completed.

Are you sure Final was supposed to replace Yamato 3? In Final, Desslor's new/old Gamilus planet gets toe up by Aquarius, that new/old Gamilus empire was from Yamato 3.

Edited by Keith

Are you sure Final was supposed to replace Yamato 3? In Final, Desslor's new/old Gamilus planet gets toe up by Aquarius, that new/old Gamilus empire was from Yamato 3.

Yeah, I'm sure. Mostly because Yamato III was set in 2205, but Final Yamato was set in 2203.

There was also a reference to the Bolar Wars at the beginning of Final that indicated that Yamato III never happened, but I can't quite remember what it was right now... :unsure: I'm quite certain it was there, though.

Guess I'll have to watch the movie again, huh? Oh darn. :p

Haha, I couldn't stop the lyrics from the Star Blazers song going thru my head when they played the music as the Yamato busted thru the ice.

Always thought that it would be really cool if besides the Yamato, the Earth forces got the Iowa, Bismarck, Hood etc rebuilt into their 23rd century versions as well.

I'd be buying all the toys if they did.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Haha, I couldn't stop the lyrics from the Star Blazers song going thru my head when they played the music as the Yamato busted thru the ice.

Always thought that it would be really cool if besides the Yamato, the Earth forces got the Iowa, Bismarck, Hood etc rebuilt into their 23rd century versions as well.

I'd be buying all the toys if they did.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/yamato%...toAndromeda.jpg

Finest battleship design ever created! The Andromeda trumps all.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/yamato%...toAndromeda.jpg

Finest battleship design ever created! The Andromeda trumps all.

Yeah, there always has been a lot of love for the Andromeda in Star Blazers/Yamato fandom. Always baffled me a little bit. Sure the design is OK and the double wave-motion gun at the from looks awesome, but I was never that impressed with it. Looks too much like a flying gun, I guess.

And it never had a chance to do that much in the show either. Liking it is kinda like liking Boba Fett. Sorta pointless.

Just my opinion.

Taksraven

Yeah, there always has been a lot of love for the Andromeda in Star Blazers/Yamato fandom. Always baffled me a little bit. Sure the design is OK and the double wave-motion gun at the from looks awesome, but I was never that impressed with it. Looks too much like a flying gun, I guess.

And it never had a chance to do that much in the show either. Liking it is kinda like liking Boba Fett. Sorta pointless.

Just my opinion.

Taksraven

I seem to remember it getting some good licks in before going down, but its most important job was buying more time for the Yamato.

Its not bad but I wouldn't go as far as to say 'best' battleship design ever.

Its one of the better ones from the Yamato Animes but if you include real life battleships or all sci-fi ships, then it drops drastically.

Says you!

Personally, I sort of liked a lot of the ship designs. Though they sort of reminded me of Gundam's Salamis class. Can't say I liked the CG much. It makes the 2d look even more flat and drab, and some of the motion looked off. It'd be nice to see a new space epic where the ships are actually drawn for a change. The shading's all over the place here. I did like the take off sequence.

I agree with not being too impressed by the Andromeda.

My favourite original capital ship design has to be the Imperial Class Star Destroyer. (But does it qualify as a battleship? Or is it a destroyer? :lol:)

As for the Yamato, that's my favourite "real" ship design. It really trumps its sister ships the "Musashi" and the "converted to carrier" Shinano in terms of popularity.

My favourite original capital ship design has to be the Imperial Class Star Destroyer. (But does it qualify as a battleship? Or is it a destroyer? :lol:)

The Star Destroyers are an attempt at a good all round vessel. (battleship, troop carrier, aircraft carrier, etc.....) The only real flaw is that it lacks a weapon with a really big punch. (wave motion gun style sort of thing.)

Taksraven

Kinda looks like bland generic CG compared to this:

I think this comes from a Yamato pachinko game.

Yeah, I wish there was more of this. It was really done well.

And yeah, as for the movie trailer, I got the shiver when Yamato came out of the ice....awesome.

Edited by peter

The Star Destroyers are an attempt at a good all round vessel. (battleship, troop carrier, aircraft carrier, etc.....) The only real flaw is that it lacks a weapon with a really big punch. (wave motion gun style sort of thing.)

Taksraven

I really like the ISDs too. But for reasons of plot, Lucas had to nerf em. I mean, a ship that size and it carries 72 fighters?!?!?!? And look at the pathetic AA fire. A late WW2 battleship probably has better chances of hitting em X-Wings (if you use movie speeds).

The Executor. Most beautific ever (although I fail to see the practicality of the blue lighted cityscape).

I really like the ISDs too. But for reasons of plot, Lucas had to nerf em. I mean, a ship that size and it carries 72 fighters?!?!?!? And look at the pathetic AA fire. A late WW2 battleship probably has better chances of hitting em X-Wings (if you use movie speeds).

The Executor. Most beautific ever (although I fail to see the practicality of the blue lighted cityscape).

Nah. I don't really like the Executor now. When I was a teen and watched ESB the 1st time, the Super Star Destroyer was impressive. Now, in my late 30s, that hunk of steel is just impractical.

To paraphrase when Peter said earlier, for such a large capital ship, it doesn't even have a TERA laser? :wacko::blink::huh:

p.s. I know the clone Emperor's SSD from the Dark Knight comics does have a mini Death Star laser. B))

Nah. I don't really like the Executor now. When I was a teen and watched ESB the 1st time, the Super Star Destroyer was impressive. Now, in my late 30s, that hunk of steel is just impractical.

To paraphrase when Peter said earlier, for such a large capital ship, it doesn't even have a TERA laser? :wacko::blink::huh:

B))

Oh I said I liked the _looks_. I absolutely get peeved by the 'canon' stats for that ship though.

It should have wiped the floor with the rebel armada all by itself without the supporting Death Star or ISDs in RoTJ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've also spotted this on Wiki....so take it with a grain of salt.

Space Battleship Yamato Live Action

Noboru Ishiguro, director and writer of the original Space Battleship Yamato television anime series, confirmed at his Otakon panel on Saturday, July 17, 2009 that a live action version of Space Battleship Yamato is in development. He also noted that Takuya Kimura, the member of the SMAP entertainment unit known to Japanese fans as "KimuTaku," will star in the remake of the space opera classic. Kimura also starred as the title character in the Howl's Moving Castle animated film released in 2004.

I dunno...I'm still torn about this project. I like the fact that the Yamto story was finished, and I think it should stay finished (there aren't enough decent endings in the annals of modern film...).

On the other hand, this looks like it could be good.

I dunno. I think that everything after the end of Comet Empire was an attempt to recapture past glories rather than tell a new, interesting story. I'll still watch the new one, of course, and I'll probably enjoy it.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I dunno. I think that everything after the end of Comet Empire was an attempt to recapture past glories rather than tell a new, interesting story. I'll still watch the new one, of course, and I'll probably enjoy it.

Taksraven

I sometimes hld that view...but I've been feeling more charitable for the past few days. Yamato is one of the few anime franchises that really has no unendurably bad portions (unless you count the aborted Yamato 2520...but that's been pretty much eradicated from existence), and I like that it finished up on a completely appropriate note.

I'll probably enjoy the new one, too, though. And Nishizaki probably needs the cash, so who am I to carp?

• 2 months later...
Loved this show as a kid ... hope they release this with an english subtitle on DVD next spring!!!

I may not understand the kanji, but it looks like it will most likely be released in theatres on December 12 of this year in Japan.

It does look kick ass.

Edited by Wanzerfan

The character designers should have given Kodai a beard to commemorate his new rank.

Ask and you shall receive, I can't believe no one has seen this :

http://starblazers.com/department.php?page_id=126

I read this when it first came out and it's one of my favorites, enjoy!

And, I just found this on Ebay and had to buy it, I can't find ANY information about it at all (Other than the fact that it's apparently a new sculpt and bigger than the 1/665 version that came out a couple of years ago) and it's the only one that was on Ebay too :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron