Which mecha is the ugliest?

I just realized the X-32's intake looks like the lower part of the head unit on the VF-25F :)

Yr right. Pretty cool pickup. I always thought that the design of the lower part of the head unit on the VF-25F always looked a little weird. I always loved the VF1-J with its chin.

I think that i read once that for the x-32 to go supersonic it had to be flying with the cowl part of the intake taken off. Stupid plane....

Taksraven

Yr right. Pretty cool pickup. I always thought that the design of the lower part of the head unit on the VF-25F always looked a little weird. I always loved the VF1-J with its chin.

I think that i read once that for the x-32 to go supersonic it had to be flying with the cowl part of the intake taken off. Stupid plane....

Taksraven

they needed to take the cowl off for hover, the angle with it on obstructed airflow

x-32-hover2.jpg

I actually think the planed production design wasn't half bad looking (no worse than the F-35 anyways)

boeing-x32-jsf-mockup.jpg

x32_7.jpg

Taksraven

The "J" is also my favorite VF-1 Valkyrie variant, but I love the head units for all the VF-25 Messiahs, especially the "F"

Yeah, that X-32 is a horrible looking thing.

I always was partial to the X-32, but I always understood mine was a very lonely viewpoint.

Same here. I admit it's an ugly plane. But it's the ugliness that's sort of attracting. :)

I think it would've been a fine replacement for the Harrier. But, I just don't see how this plane could've satisfied the USAF's requirement for an F-16 replacement or the Navy's desire for something better than the Super Hornet. Though granted it looks like the F-35 is going to have a hard time as well.

I know the basic idea is to make the frame with less radar signature and also as aerodynamic as possible, but somehow the current Stealth Technology means ugly air frame, well some stealth design are good like the VF-22 raptor and the B2 Spirit.

• 9 months later...
RX-78 Gundam. Ugliest mecha ever IMO. Never understood why it is so popular.

I personally think it's popular for the story. Kind of like Optimus Prime is pretty banal as a mecha, but he's iconic. So too the RX-78-2. Mobile Suit Gundam as a story was interesting enough that when you see the Mecha you're supposed to have nostalgic flashbacks to Amuro duking it out with Char in space or with the Gouf in the desert etc etc. ...

In fact - I wonder to what extent our perception of a mecha as ugly is influenced by the extent to which we liked/disliked the story it featured in...

Pete

p-143s.jpg

Christ!!

jdg-00x-ma.jpg

I'm lost for words....

Taksraven

AAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I had NO clue there were so many STUPID Gundams! It looks like Gundam had its Macross7 too. Were there pink tentacle monsters that wore dresses also?

AAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I had NO clue there were so many STUPID Gundams! It looks like Gundam had its Macross7 too. Were there pink tentacle monsters that wore dresses also?

Those were the rather mild G-gundam designs.

Here are a few personal favorites:

gf13-026nd.jpg

gf13-049nm.jpg

(... so stereotypical, so wrong, yet so hilarious)

gf13-066no.jpg

DUTCH GUNDAM.... FRACK YEA!!!1!!!

I must say this has been my favorite thread to read though - ever.

The pics posted here are PRICELESS!!

You mean these are real Gundam designs????? Someone in the know please explain better to those not into Gundam much - you have explaining to do . . .

Yes, those are real Gundam designs. They come from the series Mobile Fighter G Gundam. The easiest way to describe the series is Street Fighter with Gundams. The series was completely over the top and far removed from the realistic "Universal Century" continuity. There are some fans of this series but being raised on "real mecha" anime, I for one hate it.

Yes, those are real Gundam designs. They come from the series Mobile Fighter G Gundam. The easiest way to describe the series is Street Fighter with Gundams. The series was completely over the top and far removed from the realistic "Universal Century" continuity. There are some fans of this series but being raised on "real mecha" anime, I for one hate it.

More wandering samurai then SF. Tale of revenge betrayal and redemption. IIRC Mecha were intentional designed to be hilarious/jokes until somebody saw them and green lighted it as a the first AU project. The rest is history.

Re: G Gundam Mecha and G1 Transformers .... You know... I'm a sucker for both types of mecha. Of course they're unrealistic, over the top and silly. But I like those kind of robots too.

On that note - what are the criteria we're using for "ugly" with regard to mecha?

What makes a mecha ugly to people?

I like laughing at wierdo mecha as much as the next guy, but I also like discovering the virtue in them - seeing them in action or discovering something neat about the story behind them makes them less "ugly."

I'm thinking here of Gurren Lagann mainly... I remember when I first saw Gurren Lagann (the Revoltech figure) I thought.... is that kind of like Brave...where they have animal heads on their chests? But then I looked more closely at some of the designs...like Tengenn Toppa Gurren Lagann...(again Revoltech)...and I was like...dude...there's faces all over ...in his stomach...on his knees...his arms are faces...wtf? ...

I thought they were just crazy, thoughtly, pointless "wacko" designs. Then I saw the anime and it ALL made sense - given the importance of faces, the Mugen... it all made perfect (albeit insane) sense...

So...I think in judging a mecha you need to keep context in mind.

Pete