Which mecha is the ugliest?

Maybe a collective ugliest award for the series?

Don't get me wrong, I actually don't mind the series... but I think they let their "creativity" run a little too wild with their designs.

I think that you're pretty close to the truth there. And lot of it can be attributed to "creativity" and a *lot* of designs that were truly out there. (Bioroids having to ride hoversleds with no rocket thrusters of their own? What drugs were the designers doing?)

Its a double-edged sword though, on one hand you have to admire the fact that they had the guts to go with such outlandish designs, but on the other hand, you had to look at really ugly mecha.

I still think,however, not wanting to go too off-topic, that the biggest problem with Southern Cross was a story concept that was poor from the outset, rather than the designs.

Taksraven

Ya know... the space helicopter actually looks awesome. And a bit like the Gundam X.

I like how the thrusters on the blades are arranged in chopper mode. Lot of designers would've put all 4 facing backwards, or all pointing in the same way(powered prop spin yeah!).

I think they flubbed the robot mode, though. In that pic, 3 point one way and one points another.

As far as lamest transformation goes... The Logan at least TRIES(and I think it has a certain charm in robot mode. Sorta like the Acguy. We need an Acguy plushie.).

The Asshimar turns into a flying life saver.

The Psyco Gundam turns into a giant BOX.

And the Wing Gundam turns into a... a...

"Hey, if I lay down and hold my shield over my face, they won't notice I don't actually transform!"

Ya know what? All Gundam transformers suck the worst. Blanket statement.

Should suitable objection be raised, I will consider exempting the Zeta from this charge.

As far as lamest transformation goes... The Logan at least TRIES(and I think it has a certain charm in robot mode. Sorta like the Acguy. We need an Acguy plushie.).

The Asshimar turns into a flying life saver.

The Psyco Gundam turns into a giant BOX.

And the Wing Gundam turns into a... a...

"Hey, if I lay down and hold my shield over my face, they won't notice I don't actually transform!"

Ya know what? All Gundam transformers suck the worst. Blanket statement.

Should suitable objection be raised, I will consider exempting the Zeta from this charge.

Please do. The Waverider rocks.

The Zakurelo can look good with a bit of touchup! :lol:

MS086.jpg

The Zakurelo cute-ified :D

hokago_016.jpg

Where did that shot of the hanger come from, looks interesting if it chronicles the Gundam universe, and it is in English.

Please do. The Waverider rocks.

Consider it done.

Zeta Gundam is exempted.

what about the big baddy the ZZ Gundam ?

Considered, and vetoed.

G-Fortress mode is a clunky mess with no cohesive theme. It's not as blatantly sloppy as the Wing, but it's still a sad excuse for a transformation. .

I do, however, find the separated partial fighters a reasonable attempt. Arms and legs aren't just left hanging loose, they are given purpose. And they aren't hideously ugly!

Though the Top Core Fighter, or whatever it's called, would look better with the arms folded away and the wing/tail fins brought up to where the shoulder plates rest, as well as giving the shoulder plates purpose.

Could even use the shoulder plates AS the tail fins, which would make robot mode's shields lay flat, so they'd look better! Everyone wins!

Had more effort gone into making the combined G-Fortress a cohesive fighter, and hiding the arms in Core Top Fighter, it would've been awesome as a sort of Legioss/Tread counterpoint(only transformable combined, instead of only transformable separated).

Where did that shot of the hanger come from, looks interesting if it chronicles the Gundam universe, and it is in English.

I had that book years ago, my worthless brother has it now. Its really cool and has fantastic artwork, can't remember the name though.

(Actually, would it be possible to get a scan of the shot of Australia after the colony dropped on it?)

Taksraven

Then that means you haven't seen a lot of other mecha then...

Those all look to me like they were entries in some "design your own Gundam" contest for kids 4-12 or so, not something actually coming out of a professional studio.

Then that means you haven't seen a lot of other mecha then...

I almost feel it's unfair to bring up anything From G gundam since it seems like the point with most of them was to make them as atrocious as possible.

as for transforming Gundams, I like the one's in 00. Kyrios has a cool waverider-esque flight mode, and the MS mode I like better than the original zeta. (even more so for the Gust pack from 00V http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/00v/gn-003af-g02.htm)

I laughed at the Gundam of the Week designs for G Gundam, I mean, they are not meant to be taken seriously, all good for a laugh. Same for most classic Super Robots/Monsters, the weirder they look, the more I love them. Turn A Gundam gives me an unique feeling.

The ugliest mechs I ever seen must be some AC Guy's brothers/variations who never made it to the anime (I personally find the AC Guy to be adorable, yeah, I'm weird I know) with TENTACLE ARMS and all.

Some of the MSV/ Advance of Zeta designs make me feel bad too, too complex and over-designed (if that term even exists), also GSD's giant BACKPACK Gundam design included. These are just bad, at least for my taste.

Acguy is acceptable. It's funky and campy, like most of the rest of the late '70's designs in the original Gundam.

For bad mecha:

41PuRHN1KVL.jpg

I know they were trying to copy Shirow-san's design from the original - but what's with the additional set of legs??? Sorry, the original design was cool. The powered suit in GiTS SAC was great. Not this troglodyte.

Edited by sketchley

I always thought this bad-guy robot from Baxinger was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Obvious phalic overtones aside, the thing is just fully retarded.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That bot's hilarious. And disturbing at the same time... :blink:

Edited by reddsun1

I always thought this bad-guy robot from Baxinger was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Obvious phalic overtones aside, the thing is just fully retarded.

baxinger.JPG

Have to agree, what a hideous, wretched piece of garbage. Unless those arms extend I don't think that they could grab anything.

Maybe the enemy is supposed to laugh themselves to death when they see it!

Taksraven

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. The mecha design itself is horrible, but the "man cannon" is genius. It just needs a redesign. I bet Miyatake could do it justice.

gf13-026nd.jpg

Whoever designed this one just had to be giggling to himself.

Edited by danth

Overman King Gainer. Ugly but uniquely cool (IMHO). The anime is excellent.

That's like the only cool mecha in Southern Cross. :D Are you sure you're not confusing it with the Logan?

logan_fighter.gif

logan_guardian.gif

The lamest transformable mecha ever (IMHO).

This woulda been my vote too... the title of this thread automatically reminded me of this.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. The mecha design itself is horrible, but the "man cannon" is genius. It just needs a redesign. I bet Miyatake could do it justice.

gf13-026nd.jpg

Whoever designed this one just had to be giggling to himself.

Well, it makes me giggle. I like the way its standing there with clenched fists, like it is reluctant to be wearing the fish suit. Really funny. It ties with the windmill one for funniest mecha rather than ugliest.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Some more G Gundam gems. I love this one.....

gundamheavenssword.jpg

Now....just....don't ......lean.......backwards..........AAARRRGHHHHHH!!

Actually, how does the stupid thing walk without stabbing itself with those spikes on its feet?

p-143s.jpg

Christ!!

clubace.jpg

Clubace Gundam.

jdg-00x-ma.jpg

I'm lost for words....

deatharmy.jpg

I have got a big eye.

gf13-049nm.jpg

OLE!

Taksraven

Some more G Gundam gems. I love this one.....

deatharmy.jpg

I have got a big eye.

Taksraven

Actually, give the Deatharmy a Zaku eye and is would look rather bad ass.